Chapter 35: Two years is a long time

When fate plays: Getting back with my ex-fiancee

 

 
Date: September, 2011
 
 
 
Lian’s P.O.V.
 
 
 
Two years. 
 
 
A lot of things happened in those two years. 
 
 
I remembered the time when I told the adults about my decision to not marry him. It was a total chaos but not in my father’s part. He is surprisingly calm about it. I was expecting him to flip some tables but no. He didn’t do any of that or anything related to that. Instead, he took me in his arms and hugged me. It turned out that Rainy and Zhui Lui already explained my reasons to my dad. He hugged me tight that I remember ruining his shirt with my tears that time. He didn’t ask for more explanations or reasons and I deeply appreciated that. Telling my tragic love story only adds up salt on my wound.
 
 
The Wu’s however, was another story. They were distraught and outrage by the turn of events. They’re really expecting me to marry him. Mrs. Wu was especially mad. She stormed up the house and knocked-or more like banged his door but he didn’t budge. He stayed locked inside the safety of his room. And I think that’s a smart choice because if he went out he might have had a broken arm or two. 
 
 
Grandpa Wu was calm though, unlike the Mr. and Mrs. Wu who was exceptionally fuming with anger. His parents were busy pacing back and forth around their living room. Mr. Wu was in the middle of calling an officer of the army, I think he wants him to be enlisted there, while Mrs. Wu was talking to Butler Jiao  , giving him instructions to break his door, they all stopped and turn to me once Grandpa Wu asked me my reason. 
 
 
“Why?” During the twenty minutes I’m with them, that’s the only word I heard him speak.
 
 
I looked at Mr. and Mrs. Wu and gulped. One wrong word and I know they’ll be marching towards his room with the intention of shaping him up.
 
 
“I-I don’t want to marry yet. Yifan’s a good guy, believe me. There’s nothing wrong with him. I’m the problem.” I lied.
 
 
I’m not heartless and I don’t do revenge. Even though he broke my heart and burned the pieces I still wanted him to succeed in his dreams. I’m not joking when I said I want to support his dream to be an idol. His eyes always glittered and he smile radiantly whenever he talks about it. I want him to continue doing that.
 
 
Mr. and Mrs. Wu were not easily convinced but after some time they finally believed it. Mrs. Wu was really disappointed. The two of them sighed and hugged me. 
 
 
“If that’s what you want we’re in no position to stop you.” Mr. Wu told me.
 
“I really like you to be my daughter, Lian. I guess it won’t happen now. But you’re still free to come by.” Mrs. Wu said with teary eyes. Grandpa Wu motioned me to hug him and I did.
 
“I know what you did there.” He whispered in my ear. I froze.
 
“You’re a good kid, Lian. Thank you for putting up with him all this time.” He said and let me go.
 
 
I snapped out of it and repeatedly bowed my head. They offered to take me home and I rejected it at first but they insisted.
 
 
“It’s the least we could do, Lian.” Mrs. Wu said. I nodded and went inside their car. I looked up towards the window in HIS room but it was closed with the curtains on. I finally made it towards our home and thanked Butler Jiao repeatedly. I watched the car becoming smaller and smaller in the distance and I took a deep breath in.
 
 
This is it.
 
 
I’m officially out of the Wu’s care. I’ll never be a part of their family again. I’ll never be HIS bride. And the thought made me tear up once again.
 
 
 
````````````````````````````````
 
 
Another thing that happened was our long awaited school play. I was really nervous because I KNOW he’ll be there, watching. This show is dedicated for the seniors, anyway. I tried my best to forget that he’s watching me somewhere inside the auditorium. I concentrated to not look on the audiences’ faces. I’m sure all the lines I memorized will be long forgotten once I saw his face.
 
 
I was doing well, really, but the sound of the slamming of the auditorium doors startled me and I immediately forgotten my lines. I stuttered and cursed myself inwardly. I don’t want to embarrass myself in front of this people. And if he’s REALLY watching somewhere here, I don’t want to embarrass myself in front of HIM.
 
 
After the play, all of those I know came backstage to congratulate me, my father, his newly hired assistant, Wang Luo, and of course Mrs. Wu. They all congratulated and hugged me and handed me a bouquet. I can’t help but search for that certain someone though.
 
 
But he never came. 
 
 
````````````````````````````````
 
 
Then HIS graduation came. I was looking from the library on the third floor. The graduation already finished and the Wu’s were complete while taking a picture outside the auditorium where the graduation took place, the same auditorium where I performed weeks ago. I watched them with a smile when Mrs. Wu reprimanded HIM to smile at the camera. He rolled his eyes when he’s sure Mrs. Wu was not looking. 
 
 
His family then went away, probably towards their car but HE stayed because his homeroom teacher congratulated him. Then it happened, a swarm of girls went beside him and asked if they could get his second button. The second button is the one closer to the heart and some says it’s like getting someone’s heart by merely getting his button.
 
 
The girls started touching him but he moved and glared at them. The girls flinched and moved away. I chuckled. Same old, same old. He then shook his head and strutted outside the school gate. And that was the last time I saw him. Because I later found out that he ran away from home, leaving a devastated family behind.
 
 
``````````````````````````````````
 
Now, I’m currently sitting on a seat near the window inside an airplane heading to Korea. I’m studying business management in college and just got accepted as an exchange student is Seoul National University, hence why I’m here. I already said goodbye to my family and friends. Rainy, now a well known singer in china, cried her eyes out when I told her I’m leaving. Zhui Lui, who became my guy best friend, just smiled at me and told me to take care. He’s really calm and it made Rainy irritated.
 
 
“How can you be calm?? Lian is leaving!!!!!” Cried Rainy and Zhui Lui just rolled his eyes. The two of them kept on bickering with each other. I sometimes see them as husband and wife.
 
 
“Good morning. This is your captain speaking; we’re already in Korea and will land in 10 minutes. Thank you for choosing Air Korea. Have a good day.” I heard the captain speak. True to his words, the plane landed safely in 8 minutes. 
 
 
We waited until the seatbelt sign is turned off then proceeded to gather our things. I went out of the airport and waited for a taxi. While waiting, I looked around the unfamiliar surroundings and smiled. Korea is really a beautiful place. I have this feeling inside me that Korea is full of surprises and full of things to offer.
 
 
 
5 months later I found out I’m right. Korea IS full of surprises.
 
 
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````