Chapter 21

When fate plays: Getting back with my ex-fiancee

 

February 02, 2009

 

Lian P.O.V

 

I sighed deeply while weaving my hands through my hair. It’s been three days since the last time I saw Yifan. I’ve been sending him text messages because I thought during our trip we got a little closer with each other. At first I sent him nice messages then after sometime he still didn’t reply so I sent him harsh and rude ones. I was expecting him to send me a reply out of irritation but he never did.

 

Is he avoiding me? I honestly don’t know what I did wrong…

 

Flashback~

 

Date: February 29, 2009

 

“Those fireflies sure take their time.” I heard Yifan groan.

“Just wait patiently for them. They’re the star of the show and stars supposedly take their time to get ready.” I told him.

“Tsk, they should give me a spectacular show or else…” He muttered and I just chuckled.

 

We’re lying beside each other, our backs on the grass. We’re in a riverbank near out hotel. It’s already 9 in the evening. After our island hopping we went to our hotel to wash up and eat. We went here immediately after that. I told Jay to wait inside our car because I have something to tell Yifan in private. I was blushing madly when I asked him that so I guessed he already knew what I’m going to tell Yifan, considering her wished me luck and some encouraging words.

 

“Those fireflies… they better be thankful there are plenty of stars tonight to keep me entertained.” He muttered again.

 

He was right. Stars were scattered like glitters at the night sky. It was breathtakingly beautiful. I didn’t see any moon but it’s alright. I love stars better anyways. This is the reason were lying on our back, to see the stars more clearly.

 

“Speaking of stars… Do you know any constellations?” He asked me.

“I only know the big dipper.” I said and I heard him scoff.

“You’re not the sharp type are you?” He teased.

 

I feel my cheeks heat up from embarrassment but mostly from anger. How dare he call me stupid??

 

“Intelligence is not only based by your knowledge about stars!” I hissed and he chuckled some more.

“If you’re that knowledgeable about them would you mind pointing the zodiac constellations?  I want you to point out all twelve of them Mr. I-am-a-star-genius.” I challenged.

“Sure, but don’t admire me too much once I’m finished okay?” He smirked and I rolled my eyes at him.

 

He spent 10 minutes pointing out different constellations and I spent those times gaping at him. Who knew this guy had it in him?

 

“There. I’ve pointed all the twelve zodiacs. Now bow to me.” He smirked again and I just rolled my eyes.

“You wish.” I told him and he just chuckled.

 

I looked up again at the stars and found something interesting. “Hey what’s that?” I asked him.

“What?”

“That.” I said and pointed at a star that has a different color on it, yellowish red to be exact.

“That mixture of some red and yellow?” He asked and I nodded.

“That’s mars.” He said and I looked at him with wide eyes.

“Mars?? You mean the planet next to us??” I asked bewildered.

 

He nodded and I smiled widely. “Wow, I can see Mars!” I said excitedly.

“It’s just a dot.” He said.

“At least I’ll be able to see a planet! To think I’d be able to see one!” I exclaimed. Never in my life had I thought of seeing one in my own eyes, not by some photographs.

“Well consider yourself lucky because you’re about to see another one.” He said.

“You see that also yellowish dot?” He continued.

“What Mars?” I asked him.

“Not that idiot. That is Mars.” He said then pointed on another star.

“What? I thought that was-“

“Tsk, I thought we were on the same page all along but I thought wrong. That thing you’ve been mistaking for Mars is actually Venus and that thing I’m pointing for the past minute is Mars.” He explained and clucked his tongue.

I blew a raspberry. “Well I’m sorry for not noticing it early!” I said sarcastically.

“What time is it?” He suddenly asked. I looked at glow in the dark wrist watch.

“It’s past nine, why?” I asked him.

“Hmmmh, that’s funny…”

“What is?”

“Venus usually shows up around eight and for approximately an hour to be exact.” He said.

“What are you saying?”

“I’m saying Venus should not be able to show up at this time. It’s quite rare.” He explained.

 

I looked at Venus, named after the goddess of love. Is this a sign? Is this a sign that I should go with my feelings and confessed with him? Dear Venus, goddess of love, if this is really the right time to confess give me a sign! I formed my hand in a praying manner and waited for whatever that sign is.

 

I looked at Yifan and saw that he’s busy thinking of something. I looked back at Venus very determined to get that sign when all of a sudden Venus moved.

 

What.

 

The.

 

Heck????

 

I looked at it carefully then notice it coming closer and closer….

 

“OH MY GOD!!!!” I yelled and clutched my hands on Yifan’s sleeves.

“What??” He was startled and held my hands.

“I don’t want to die!!!!!” I screamed hysterically.

 

He sat up straight and helped me also. “What-Why??” He asked me nervousness emitted from his voice.

I was still clinging on his arms and burying my face on it. If I’m going to die at least I had spend my last minutes with the guy I love.

“Hey! What’s happening?” He asked and shook my shoulders.

“VENUS IS GOING TO CRASH LAND ON EARTH!!” I exclaimed and my grip on his arms tightens.

“What are you talking about??” He asked. I looked at the sky and pointed at Venus who is now moving in different direction.

He looked up and squint his eyes. “I don’t think that’s Venus…”

 

He muttered then all of a sudden balls of yellow filled up the sky moving in different directions just like Venus and that’s when I realized what it really is.

 

“I think it’s the fireflies…” I said quietly and he turned to look at me.

“You think?” He asked me sarcastically while rolling his eyes.

 

I noticed the position where in and I immediately blushed. We’re almost hugging each other. He also seemed to notice our position because he awkwardly cleared his throat. I instantly back away. Couple of awkward silence has passed. I decided to break it by handing him his net and jar.

 

“Come on, let’s catch one.” I said while standing up. He took the net and the jar and also stood up.

“I don’t know about you but I’m not going to catch only one.” He smirked.

“I’m pretty sure I won’t catch only one but I doubt if you’ll catch more than me.” I told him and he scoffed.

“Is that a challenge I hear?”

“It depends. Do you take it as a challenge?” I asked.

“The one who catch the most fireflies win. If you lose you’re going to be my slave.” He said.

 

I gulped. His slave?? I can pretty much see my tragic future when it happens but who cares? I need this opportunity, “Challenge accepted.” I said and his grin got wider. “Let’s catch some stars.”

 

*Ring~*

 

My thoughts were disrupted by the ringing of the bell above our shop's door. I quickly looked around hoping it was Yifan but it was not. Instead I was greeted by a face similar to the face I've been longing to see. She also had the same surname as him.

 

I quickly bowed to be polite. "You don't need to be so formal my daughter-in-law." Mrs. Wu chuckled.

I blushed at the 'daughter-in-law' part. "What can I help you with Mrs. Wu?"

She narrowed her eyes at me. "I told you to call me 'mom'."

"W-What can I do for you m-mom?" I stuttered. Mrs. Wu can be quite intimidating if she wanted too.

Now I know where that giant got his intimidating aura. She chuckled merrily and hugged me. "So cute~"

My father came out from the kitchen and bowed to her. "What brought you here Mrs. Wu?" He asked.

Mrs. Wu chukled once again. "Like father like daughter."

 

She told us her orders and dragged me with her towards a table. "I would like to talk to my daughter-in-law." She said.

"What do you want to talk about?" I nervously asked.

She took a sip of her tea while eyeing me closely. "Let's talk about Yifan, shall we?"

 

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

The continuation of Lian's story will be revealed next chapters~ <3