Chapter 4: Meeting each other

When fate plays: Getting back with my ex-fiancee

 

The past: December 27, 2008

 

Grandpa Wu and Yi fan was waiting on a high class restaurant for Lau family, the family of the girl he’s suppose to marry, to arrive. Yi fan’s is fidgeting and his hands are getting sweaty.

 

*Damn Yi fan, don’t get nervous!* He thought and sipped a drink.

 

“You’re nervous to meet your future wife?” Grandpa Wu teased.

“I’m not.” He muttered.

“Awww, don’t lie.”

“I’m really not!” He insisted.

“Tsk… oh look! They’re here!”

“Where??”

 

Yi fan immediately turned his vision to where his grandpa was pointing but only to find no one. He looked at his grandpa who was shaking with laughter and frowned.

 

“That was not funny.” He said crossing his arms.

“You should have seen your face!” Grandpa Wu laughed again reminiscing on how his grandchild eagerly stood up on his seat just to look at where he was pointing.

 

Yi fan just scowled at him and looked the other way. He was trying to ignore his grandpa but how can he if most of the people inside the restaurant was looking at the old man who was shaking really badly due to laughter, his booming laugh is also attracting attention.

 

“Grandpa, stop it.” He hissed. His grandpa just continued laughing.

“I don’t know him.” He said to the other customers but they all shook their heads and gave them a strange look before continuing to eat.

 

After some time grandpa Wu finally stopped laughing. He breathed in deeply before stretching his back.

 

“That was a good laugh.” He said and smiled at Yi fan.

“Yeah, for you.” Yi fan muttered.

“Oh don’t be such a party pooper.” Grandpa Wu nudged his elbow. Yi Fan just ignored him and continued sipping his drink.

“Here.” Grandpa Wu tossed him a folder.

“What’s this?” He asked his grandpa.

“A little something, to kill time.” Grandpa Wu winked at him and started to drink his tea.

 

Yi Fan opened the suspicious looking folder and he was greeted by “Lau family facts” in bold letters.

 

“Lau family?”

“That’s your future wife’s family.” Grandpa Wu answered.

 

Yi fan then continued reading the papers.

 

Lau Family Facts

 

1.   The Lau’s owns a small noodle shop in their area. The said noodle shop is named happiness. Happiness can’t fully provide the family’s needs.

 

*What the….*

 

The fact shocks him. Arranged marriages are supposed to be between two rich families right?

 

“Grandpa, what’s up with number one?” He asked his grandfather.

“What about it?”

“What do you mean ‘what about it’? They’re not rich!” He said completely surprised to the fact.

“So?” His grandpa asked him.

“Well… uhm… aren’t arrange marriage supposed to be between rich families?” He asked.

“You’re watching too much dramas child.” His grandpa chuckled and continued sipping his never ending tea.

 

Yi fan was about to probe in further but stopped.

 

*The wedding’s not going to happen anyways.* He thought and continued reading the paper.

 

2.   Grandma Lau, grandma Wu’s friend who she made the promise with passed away due to illness. Mrs. Lau, the girl’s mother also passed away, apparently she inherited her mother’s heart disease.

 

*That’s just sad. But if the grandma already died then why are we still doing this freaking promise??*

 

“Grandpa about number two-“

“A promise is still a promise child.” His grandpa cut him off not even bothering to look at him. Yi Fan slumps his shoulder in defeat.

 

3.   Mr. Lau raised his daughter by his own since his wife passed away.

 

4.   The girl’s name is Lau Li An, she’s going to be seventeen this upcoming year.

 

*Damn, she has the same name as her…* Yi Fan thought and gripped the folders a little too tight, sadness and affection creeping into his heart.

 

“What a coincidence right?” His grandpa snickered.

“Of all the names in the world, why does she have to have the same name as her??” He asked no one in particular.

 

“Li An… my very furry doggy.” Yi fan muttered sadly. Grandpa Wu just laughed at his grandchild’s episode.

 

Yi fan’s reminisce about his passed away dog was interrupted when his grandpa nudged him.

 

“They’re here.” He said. Yi fan looked up and saw a timid looking man entering the restaurants door with a young girl trailing behind him. Grandpa Wu stood up, and also Yi Fan, to greet them not before he hid the documents.

 

“I’m sorry we’re late.” The timid looking man said while repeatedly bowing.

“It’s okay. I bet you’re exhausted seat first.” The old man smiled and offered them seats which they immediately took.

 

Yi fan took a glance at his future wife and can’t help but think that’s she’s a beauty. Her shyness and innocence draws him in.

 

“Yi fan don’t stare at her like that. It’s rude.” Grandpa Wu scolded teasingly making Yi Fan blush in embarrassment.

“What’s your name child?” Grandpa Wu asked the young girl who was shyly looking at her hands. She looked up and met eyes with him.

“My name is Lau Li An sir.” She said shyly.

“What a pretty name, right Yi Fan?” Grandpa Wu again.

 

Yi fan just shrug and pretended it was nothing. The old man chuckled at his grandchild’s behavior.

 

“Introduce yourself child.” Grandpa Wu told him.

 

*What a bother.* Yi fan thought but did so anyways.

 

“My name is Wu Yi fan. I’m eighteen years old and about to graduate high school. Nice to meet you.” He said.

 

Mr. Lau nudged his daughter to do the same which she did.

 

“My name is Lau Li An. I’m going seventeen next year and a sophomore in high school.” She said and ducked her head in embarrassment.

“What a cute child. I’m happy that my grumpy I-don’t-smile grandchild is gonna marry someone as cute as you. I hope you may rub some of your cuteness off him.” Grandpa Wu said making the Lau’s chuckle lightly.

 

*That was not funny at all.* Yi fan grumpily thought.

 

After introductions the food came. They all ate merrily and the adults continued chatting about the arrangement. The young ones were just silently eating but still continued listening to the old ones conversations. Throughout the meeting Yi Fan can’t help but took a glance at her.

 

*She’s really pretty.* He thought still looking at her.

 

Li An looked at his direction and the two of them met eyes. Instead of turning his head Yi Fan kept his eyes on her making the girl blush and look away.

 

*Cute.* Yi fan chuckled to himself.

*Too bad she’s a hindrance to my dream.* He thought and looked away.

 

The older ones finally ended their conversation and turned towards them.

 

“We will leave you kids first to let you know more about each other.” Grandpa Wu told them.

 

The panic and nervousness was clearly shown on Li An’s face when she looked at her father who just nod encouragingly at her. In contrast to Li An’s face, Yi fan’s was calm and composed. This is the moment he’s been waiting for. The moment he’ll be alone with the girl who threatens his dreams.

 

Mr. Lau and Grandpa Wu left, finally leaving the two of them. Yi Fan was looking at her intently while Li An fidgets with her hands avoiding the boy’s stare. It’s making her uncomfortable. A few minutes of uncomfortable silence has passed when Yi Fan decided to break it.

 

“So….” He said and cleared his throat while leaning closer.

 

“Let’s get straight to the point shall we?” He smirked devilishly making the girl regret even stepping her foot inside the establishment they’re in.

 

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I'm very sorry for updating this late guys.

I am so sorry. *bows repeatedly*

I took a vacation with my family at the country side for 4 days.

During those times I can only log-in to AFF but can't update.

I repeat I'm really sorry.

 

On the bright side, have you seen EXO's MAMA? If not you should! It's Jjang I tell you, Jjang! :D

Thank you for the subscriptions~! Don't hesitate to leave a comment :)