66

Miss. Trouble

 

Leerang couldn’t look either Kris or his mother in the eye after having ended the phone call with her step father. The girl was devastated by the news that he hadn’t been able to get the contract back. The construction firm had refused to sell it back to them, something that meant Kris and his mother would have to move. “I’m sorry about this.” Leerang felt absolutely horrible for everything the older woman had caused. All their hard work was suddenly gone and they were instead left with nothing. No home to live in and no place to work at. “I’m really sorry.” she apologized once more, her head hanging low in shame, “I’ve caused so much trouble for you, and I understand if you don’t want anything to do with me.” Leerang cried, because she knew none of it would’ve happened if she’d just listened to her mother. But she didn’t and the one to pay the price was the least fortunate ones.

Without further notice did she rush out of there with tears streaming down her cheeks. It was impossible for Leerang to remain as she felt it was all her fault. “I’m so stupid.” the girl was so angry and disappointed with herself that she didn’t acknowledge the snow falling to the ground. It completely slipped her mind as she hurried down the street. “LEERANG.” her heart clenched in pain, but she didn’t come to a stop even though Kris called after her, because the girl was afraid of what he would say, that he would want to break up.

“LEERANG STOP.” his voice was louder and much closer, something that caused Leerang to panic and eventually slip so she landed on the ground with a thud, “ouch.” she grimaced, but noticed quite immediately that the pain wasn’t as bad as she’d first thought, and it didn’t take long before she was on her feet, dusting herself off. The fall though, had given Kris enough time to catch up, “don’t run away like that.” he gripped onto the sleeve of her jacket, thus keeping Leerang in place, “you can’t solve anything if you’re running away.” it was already too late, there was nothing they could do to get the café back.

Refusing to meet his gaze she spoke, “there’s nothing to solve. It’s too late for that.” Leerang squeezed her eyes shut when hearing how the older male sighed, “I have some money.” the fifty million won he’d borrowed was still in his possession, though he was slightly uncertain whether they were enough to buy a new place. It wasn’t exactly much. “What?” Leerang’s eyes flew open and she looked up at him, shocked and curious to where he’d gotten a hold of money in such a short amount of time, “how?” that on the other hand, was something Kris needed to keep to himself, especially since he felt bad about it, “that’s not important.” with that said did he try and change the conversation in another direction, “this isn’t your fault. You are not responsible for what your mother does.” Leerang wanted to believe it, she really did. But her consciousness wouldn’t. “Why are you acting as if this is nothing? Like everything is going to solve itself.” her heart throbbed at the look in his eyes and she averted her gaze before continuing, “aren’t you mad?” Kris was mad alright, but had decided to be optimistic since he believed it would only bring more trouble being frustrated and angry. “I am. But I can’t let it get the better of me.” Leerang sobbed after hearing him say that, because she knew the ordeal could’ve been avoided if she’d just listened to her mother. Leerang shouldn’t have fallen for him, she shouldn’t have pulled him into the chaotic world she lived.

And it was with such thoughts that she hastily pulled away from the older male, “I need to go. There’s something I have to fix.” she needed some alone time to think and used it as an excuse to get away. Kris though, was not late to wrap his arms around her waist and pull her back into his embrace, “is there anything you’re not telling me?” one of his hands travelled up to caress Leerang’s cheek, the touch of his skin against her own caused the younger girl to shiver and her eyelids to flutter close. “No.” Kris sighed, “you have to understand this isn’t your fault.” he would never put the blame on Leerang since he knew she was innocent and had nothing to do with the problems they were facing, “and I don’t want you the ever think it is.”

They stood like that, holding onto each other for minutes to come, as none of them wanted to let go, and Leerang wished it could be like that forever. She would never ask for anything else if he could just stay by her side, that they would never have to part ways. But life was different -complicated. It didn’t always do as one wished.

“I really need to go.” as much as he didn’t want to Kris let go, thus allowing Leerang to slip from his embrace and pull away. “You know you can tell me anything.” Kris stated, his gaze meeting hers, “anytime.” he added on, making sure the girl knew in case she needed to talk. “It’s nothing, really.” Leerang reassured him with a small, almost insignificant smile, as she wouldn’t want to trouble him more than she’d already done. “You sure? I mea -.” standing on her toes Leerang leaned up and silenced him with her lips, an action that baffled Kris at first, before he went with it and drew her closer once again.

Leerang was back at her father’s place half an hour later, after having bought some food at the supermarket. She’d barely eaten anything during the day due to the mess going on, and decided to start dinner immediately. It wasn’t much, just simple food that didn’t take lots of time to prepare. That it was tasty and somewhat nutritious were more than enough for Leerang, who sat down at the table once everything had cooked. She heaved a sigh though, halfway through the meal as she glanced over at the place her dad used to occupy, “I hope you’re doing fine.” Leerang felt bad because she hadn’t visited him for several weeks. But she hoped he could understand that she’d been busy with other stuff, like her evil mother and then everything with Kris, which had taken up most of her time.

A knock on the front door sounded all of a sudden, thus ending her train of thoughts. It was close to eleven pm and for it to be Kris seemed highly unlikely, therefore was it with a mix of curiosity and fear that she proceeded towards the door. “Who is it?” there was nothing but silence and she felt the fear building up more and more, “hello?” it couldn’t be Kris, something she got confirmed a second later when the person spoke, “it’s me, could you open?” Lay, why was he there?

She realized why once she’d unlocked and pushed the door open, because his face sported new marks, “what happened?” Lay shrugged, he’d gotten so used to being beaten up by his father that it no longer mattered, “I guess my dad prefers using me as the punching bag instead of the one he got down in the gym.” Leerang weren’t as shocked since she knew it wasn’t the first time. Still, it saddened her that his own father would do such a thing. “Actually, I was wondering whether I could sleep here tonight, if that’s alright?” his question startled her and she couldn’t help but to ask, “I d -don’t know. Can’t you stay at a hotel or one of your friends?” Leerang stared at him, her pulse increasing at the thought of him spending the night. “I don’t have a credit card right now, my dad took it.” Lay let out a dry laugh, as if he thought the ordeal was amusing, “and I don’t want to call anyone right now.” he felt embarrassed and wasn’t going to show himself in front of his friends in that state, with a beaten face. “All I want is a place to sleep at, nothing more, nothing less. Please.” without saying anything did she step aside, thus giving him enough space to enter.

“You can take my father’s room. I just need to change the bedsheets and that first.” Leerang wandered off down the hallway, and Lay took the chance to check out the not-so-spacious house, which looked to be about the size of the living room at his home. It was really small compared to what he was used to. “How can someone live like this?” he muttered, not that Kris’ home had been any bigger. But still. Leerang did actually have a choice to choose, something his half-brother didn’t. Moving over he proceeded towards the bedroom, only to watch as the younger girl finished fixing the bed, “thank you.” Leerang spun around in surprise, her pulse racing since she hadn’t expected for him to sneak up on her like that. “You scared me.” a smile grew on his lips whilst he leaned against the doorframe, “sorry.” Leerang glanced down at the bed one last time to make sure everything was done, before speaking, “the bed is ready.” she stepped back and was about to leave when Lay leaned forward and blocked the door, thus trapping her inside the room. “There’s something else I want, too.” Leerang’s eyes widened and she stared up at him in complete shock as his hand grasped onto her chin, “I’m sorry.” the male apologized for his actions right before he closed the gap and let their lips meet. He had to kiss her despite knowing it was wrong and that Leerang was someone else’s girlfriend.

It was inevitable.