42

Miss. Trouble

 

She waked up with several missed calls from Lay and then a countless amount of text messages from him as well. He was worried. But all those messages were overshadowed by one her mother sent. The woman had made an appointment for Leerang to meet up with someone who could help out with the application to Seoul National University. She didn’t exactly have much of an option, and guessed it would be for the best to show up. If not only to tell the person she wouldn’t attend SNU. None of that worked though, because all those thoughts disappeared the second Leerang saw who she was meeting, “Lay?” the older male seemed equally surprised to see her there, and without thinking of how pathetic it looked did he rush forward, “are you okay, he didn’t do anything to you?” bewildered she shook her head, Kris hadn’t hurt her. In fact, he’d made sure she got home safe and sound, “I’m fine.” Lay was relieved to hear that.

“Ehm, why are you here?” The girl found it slightly weird that her mother had called him out, especially without even telling Leerang about it. “Your mother called me this morning and told me to be here at two pm.” it became obvious rather quickly that her mother had set them up to meet, “oh, did she tell you why?” Lay had no idea, he hadn’t been told why he was supposed to show up there, “she didn’t tell me.” Leerang was slowly getting more irritated, she was soon eighteen and could take care of herself. “Really. Well, it’s all a misunderstanding.” her mother was not going to win this time around, as Leerang wouldn’t attend SNU despite what the older woman said. “Misunderstanding?” Lay was confused, but decided to let the ordeal slip, “anyhow. Why don’t we do something else then?”

The something else he’d been referring to was a date at a nearby café, “I hope this is okay? the question was asked after they’d sat down at a window table. The café were actually the least of her problem though, because Leerang wanted to know what kind of relationship the older male had with Kris. “Do you know him?” the girl wanted to see if he reacted, but he didn’t, “who?” whether he was telling the truth or not she couldn’t know. “From yesterday and that other time at the café.” Lay averted his gaze, unwilling to say anything about his relation to Kris, “no.” he shook his head but Leerang wasn’t as certain, “but then, why are you fighting?” ignorance weren’t always bliss, but nonetheless something he took advantage of, “because we can’t let them take what’s ours.” Lay’s slip of words were ones that surprised the younger girl, “have they stolen things?” Kris didn’t seem to be such a person, but then again, it wasn’t like she knew him that well either. “No, I’m not going to let them.”

Luckily did the conversation die down with that, and Lay was relieved when Leerang changed subject, “actually. The reason to why my mom called you was so you could help me out with the application form to SNU.” he had to know the truth, even more so since her mother would, with most certainty, call him and ask about how it went. “I never knew you wanted to attend SNU.” she didn’t strike him as a person who desired to get into Seoul National University. “I don’t. But my mother doesn’t care.” her dream to attend K-ARTS and become a painter was something the girl would never give up, even if it meant being thrown out on the streets. “So she’s forcing you?” without thinking twice did Leerang nod, “one can definitely say that.” she regretted even saying anything when the older male shot her a curious look, "seriously?" oh god, what'd she done, what if Lay spilled everything to her mother?

"If not SNU, then which University do you want to attend?" Leerang wanted to tell him, but a small part of her was afraid he would let the information get to her mother, something she couldn't let happen. Not at the moment at least. "I don't know." the girl shrugged her shoulders, as if to clarify she wasn't certain. But it all backfired in the split of a second, "I bet you know, but you're just too scared to say it." far too soon did she shake her head, an action that gave her away immediately. However, instead of continuing did Lay simply laugh, "I'll stop." the discomfort she displayed was more than enough evidence for him to understand that it was a matter she seemed stressed about.

Halfway through the date and after a couple of minutes with awkward silence did Leerang come up with the bright idea to continue the twenty questions they hadn't been allowed to finish the day before. The resolution was one Lay welcomed, as he had nothing else to say. Plus, it gave him a chance to know who'd taken her first kiss. "What's your major?" Lay's answer came as a small shock to Leerang, "Business Administration." one had to be really dedicated in order to study that, therefore was she even more surprised he had time to be with her, "isn't it difficult?" he didn't find it particularly hard, mainly because he'd always had it quite easy to learn new things, "not really." Leerang was considerably jealous, even more so since she found it rather troublesome with schoolwork. She wasn’t stupid or anything, but had difficulties with some subjects.

“My mother would’ve been happy if I were like you.” the older woman had made her disappointment with Leerang’s grades known several times, but she’d been ignored each and every time she needed help with homeworks. “I think she’s happy you are the way you are.” Lay’s words were sweet and they would’ve made her feel at ease if it weren’t for the fact that she knew her mother so well. The woman never failed to make Leerang feel worthless.

“Annyeonghaseyo.” a female voice cut in, thus breaking the slightly bothersome conversation. “Do you want to order?” Leerang had totally forgotten to check the menu and had therefore no idea what she wanted, “could you give us a second?” the waitress reassured the two she would be back in a few minutes, something that gave them enough time to choose. She craved chocolate and would not settle with anything less. But the ice cream was also tempting, “such a hard decision.” Lay, who saw and heard the hesitation, spoke, “take whatever you want.” the girl weren’t shy when it came to food and could eat quite the amount, especially desserts and other delicious treats.

Said and done. Leerang chose both the chocolate cake and the ice cream. Lay though, settled with a simple cup of coffee. “Are you going to eat all that?” the male was fascinated, he’d never seen a girl with such a huge appetite. “Mm, I’ve eaten much more before.” he had a hard time believing so considering her small frame. On the contrary however, did he find it slightly amusing as he watched the younger girl begin to devour the desserts. “Won’t you get a stomach ache?” Leerang shook her head, she’d never had any problems with that. Well, only once. But the food she’d eaten that time had been a couple of days old and resulted in a pretty bad stomach flu.

Lay got more and more amazed as Leerang finished the ice cream and moved over to the layered chocolate cake. “I’ve never seen a girl eat so much.” he uttered without thought whilst the girl stuffed the fork filled with cake into . Lay’s words though, affected her and she chewed with a heavy heart. Did he think she was disgusting for stuffing herself full with sugary treats? Maybe she shouldn’t have ordered in two desserts after all. Way to go Leerang, you’ve totally humiliated yourself, a voice spoke inside her head, and she stopped eating instantly before putting the fork down on the table. “Don’t stop. It wasn’t supposed to sound negative.” her self esteem was already bad and his statement didn’t exactly help, therefore did she let the fork remain, “it’s okay. I’m already full.” Lay frowned as silence settled between the two of them, and he felt bad for mention the topic, even more so since he knew the subject was a sensitive matter.  

Several minutes passed like that, in total silence and Leerang was uncertain of what to do. She wanted no more than to leave though, but stayed put as it would look bad if she just left. Her saviour however, seemed to arrive the moment Lay’s cell phone rang, “hello?” she couldn’t hear who it was, but hoped the person needed him, something that was affirmed a moment or two later, when Lay spoke, “Should I come right away?” his words still hurt and for the first time did Leerang wish he would leave. “I’ll be there soon.” Lay’s father needed him and he was in no position to object. He didn’t want to either, not after his slip of words.

“I have to go.” Leerang was for once not even disappointed and did barely spare him a glance as he stood up. “I’m sorry for what I said.” he tried to ease the situation, but Lay’s attempt was poor and the girl gave him a hurried look before averting her gaze elsewhere. The last thing she needed was to feel bad the day before her eighteenth birthday.