65

Miss. Trouble

 


Leerang was currently at her mother’s house, trying to get a grip of the situation and why the older woman had bought the café, “how could you do this?” she demanded an answer, one that didn’t include the topic revenge. “Don’t you understand I just want the best for you.” why couldn’t her mother realize that Kris was the best that’d happened to Leerang for years. He’d brought new hope into her life again, something she had none of a year ago. “The best? You’re only making everything worse.” she listened as her mother let out an amused laughter, “do you really think you’ll have a future with him? He won’t even be able to pay the bills with the job he got.” that was the huge difference between the two. Leerang didn’t need to live in a huge house with servants, nor did she require brand name clothes and luxury cars. “Mom, I’m not you. I don’t need to live a fancy life.” the girl spoke in hushed, sad tone, hoping her mother would come to understand that being rich wasn’t everything. “Still, I’m not going to let you be with him.”

The front door slung open before Leerang was given the chance to reply, and she watched as her stepfather and sister entered. “Leerang, it’s nice to see you again.” the male smiled, seemingly oblivious to what her mother had done, before heading up the stairs. Could it be that he didn’t know about the purchase? It wouldn’t exactly surprise Leerang if her mother bought the café without even consulting him, something that could give the girl a slight advantage. All she needed was a chance to talk with her stepfather. “I’ll be right back.” she ran up the staircase, completely ignoring the fact that her mother was calling out for her to get back. A request she wouldn’t listen to.

Leerang did almost collide with the door to her sister’s bedroom, because it was pushed open right as she was about to pass it by. Startled by the suddenness she stumbled a few steps back. “Are you okay?” her stepfather was soon at her side, both worried and surprised. “Y -yeah I’m alright.” she stuttered out, as adrenaline was pumping through her veins and causing her heartbeat to increase. “You sure? You don’t look too well.” unfortunately did the bothersome feeling not have anything to do with the current situation, but due to her mother’s stupid and irrational decision.

“Actually, there’s something I need to talk to you about.” Leerang stated, hoping that he could help out in some way or another. The male must be able to nullify the purchase since it was his money that’d been used. “Is it urgent?” without the slightest hesitation did she nod, “yes.” just the thought of not being able to help worried the said girl, and they had to work fast before it was too late. “It’s mom, she’s acting unreasonable.” that was the least one could say, “and I need your help nullifying a payment she’s made.” there was an immediate reaction from downstairs, meaning her mother must’ve listened in on their conversation, because footsteps could be heard in the staircase, “it won’t be of any use because I’ve already sold the contract to a construction firm.” it was a bluff, it had to be as there was no chance she’d managed to get a hold of a buyer that fast. “You’re lying.” Leerang wouldn’t believe such nonsense. She couldn’t allow herself to do so. “What exactly is going on?” her stepfather questioned, glancing between the two females, wondering why the two of them were arguing.

“I bought a café, as simple as that.” Leerang snorted, not at all amused by the way her mother was putting it, “do you even know what you’ve caused? Kris and his mother have nowhere to live now, nor do they have a way to earn money.” the girl felt ashamed. She didn’t even want to think about the reactions Kris and his mother would display once they received the information. “I’ve already said this before, actions get consequences.” sure, Leerang knew more than well. But in such a rash way was totally unnecessary. “Why are you punishing him? He hasn’t done anything wrong.” her emotions were slowly taking over and she was certain it wouldn’t take long before tears began to roll. “It’s your own fault for not listening when I told you to stay away from him.” how mature, a forty five year old taking revenge on her daughter’s boyfriend. “How great, what a good example you are setting for my sister.” Leerang spoke in a sarcastic manner. She felt bad for her younger sister and everything she would have to live through whilst growing up. “Okay, I think this is enough.” her stepfather stepped in and interrupted before it got completely out of hand, “let’s go downstairs and talk.”

Said and done the three of them headed down to the living room, where Leerang began to speak immediately, “you’ll never see me again if you don’t fix this matter.” the words were directed at her mother, who looked disturbingly calm and unbothered, “you’re still a minor.” maybe so, but that wouldn’t hinder the said girl from running away. The male was fed up with the continuing argument and raised his voice, “what’s going on here?” the information was still lacking and he had a hard time understanding why they were behaving in such a childish way.

“She’s destroying my life, that’s what’s happening.” the past Leerang was nowhere to be found as she sent her mother a disapproving look. “I’m only trying to make you realize that he won’t be able to support you in the future with a job like that.” the girl rolled her eyes, frustrated, “yeah, and that worked real well because he can’t even support himself right now.” dear god, did her mother even consider the consequences that would follow before making such a drastic move? Apparently not. “Do you think of anyone but yourself?” there was no answer to that, so Leerang continued, “don’t you get it, not everyone have the money and support to follow their dreams. They’re instead stuck trying to survive the day.” education was expensive, especially when it came to University level, something many parents can’t afford, and she was one of the few lucky ones who had someone to pay those fees. “What he can’t do is not my problem.” Leerang gaped, feeling incredibly bothered and taken aback by the selfishness her mother was displaying, “maybe not. But he’s my boyfriend and I’m not going to break up with him just because you say so.”

“Then, what about K-ARTS? Are you willing to let your dream go just to be with him?” Leerang’s heart dropped and she held her breath. She refused to believe her mother would go that far. But then again, it wouldn’t be the first time the woman let her hopes die. “One phone call and I can cancel your application.” those tears Leerang had managed to keep away was now slowly rolling down her cheeks, “why must you do this?” all her braveness was long gone and replaced by sorrow and fear of what was to come. Leerang was actually terrified. The male, who’d stood aside and listen all that time, spoke, “aren’t you going too far now?” he’d come to dislike how his wife was treating Leerang and her boyfriend. “I understand you want the best for Leerang, but shouldn’t you be glad that she’s found someone who love her and make her happy?” a normal parent would probably settle with that.

Not Leerang’s mother though, “love doesn’t pay the bills.” that one sentence was enough for Leerang to snap, “you know what. I hate rich people who think they can buy everything and everyone. They’re selfish, each and every one of them.” the girl stopped to take a deep breath before continuing on, “do you even know what I’ve had to endure during all your parties I had to attend? Of course you wouldn’t because all you’ve cared about is up to other people.” she was rambling on and on, “maybe you should’ve paid a little more attention to me, and helped me out all those times Lay’s friends were molesting me.” Leerang’s eyes widened once she realized what she’d said, but it was already too late since the two adults heard every single word. “What are you talking about?” the woman wasn’t certain how to process the last couple of words, “you’re just saying that. None of them would do such a horrible thing.” Leerang didn’t argue further as it brought back memories she never wanted to experience ever again. Saddened by the fact that her own mother wouldn’t believe her the girl excused herself, “I need to go.”