27

Miss. Trouble

 

The concert had been a blast with its three and a half hours of pure fun. Leerang was still ‘high’ on the feeling when she left the venue. Nothing could possibly describe the overwhelming emotions one had after such an awesome concert. It needed to be experienced. “Ah, I need something to drink.” the temperature within the arena must’ve increased a lot, considering how everyone was jumping around whilst screaming on top of their lungs. Well, Leerang was no exception. She’d done the same thing actually, something that’d resulted in her voice becoming hoarse and raspy. It was a bit uncomfortable, but the girl didn’t regret her decision.

“Maybe I should’ve brought Chanyeol along. He likes Girls’ Generation, too.” the thought invaded her after that she’d bought a bottle of water and banana milk. The latter drink was one she started off with, as she needed something sugary and sweet. The water bottle was instead placed down in the backpack she’d brought with her. Leerang was unsure though, to how her mother would react once she got home. The older woman knew about the concert, but not how long it lasted. “Please let her be asleep when I get back.” hopefully would Leerang be lucky. But there was a risk her mother was still awake, waiting for the girl to return. It’d actually happened before. But even so, she still would’ve chosen to attend the concert despite the possibilities of being grounded.  

Leerang had a couple of hundred meters left to the subway station when she spotted Kris heading her way. In pure instinct did she try to hide in an alley, the bottle of banana milk did almost slip from her hand when she crashed against the hard wall. The girl was standing in such a position that it would be impossible to see her. “What’s he doing here at this hour?” it was late at night and any other sane person would be asleep.

Her ears perked up though, when hearing his voice, “I’ll be right there. Give me a couple of minutes.” he sounded distressed, almost as if he was in a hurry. A sense of curiosity bubbled up within and she couldn’t help but to glance after him. The fact that he was on this side of the han river was already enough to spark suspicion, “where’s he going?” without even realizing it did she begin to follow Kris, who was making his way forward with hasty steps. The male were already late and would have to work fast if he was going to finish the quota given. If not, then he would with most certainty be fired, something he wouldn’t allow to happen. Not when they -his mother needed the money.

The girl tilted her head to the side, the straw to the banana milk slipped from her lips as she spoke, “Daehan Logistics?” the name sounded familiar, yet not. But most importantly, what was he doing there in the middle of the night? Leerang’s eyes widened when a thought struck her, it couldn’t be that he was going to steal things and then sell them? Her imagination was running wild. “Should I call the police?” maybe that was being a bit too drastic, especially since she didn’t actually know whether Kris was going to break in or not. It would be rather embarrassing if he wouldn’t and the police showed up.

“But if he’s not breaking in, then what is he doing?” Leerang inched closer whilst making sure no one saw her. The fenced area seemed pretty quiet and she advanced forward with careful steps, only come to an abrupt stop when hearing a male voice, “you’re late.” terrified of being discovered the girl pressed herself up against the truck, one she used as cover. “I know, and I’m sorry for that.” Kris apologized. There was a reason though, to why he was late. But it was one he didn’t want to explain as his family matters stayed with him. “Just don’t do it again or I’ll have no other choice but to fire you.” Leerang was baffled at how he managed to have two jobs when she herself barely kept up with school. “It won’t happen again.” the male reassured.

Silence filled the air for a moment, one which was interrupted when something were placed inside the truck she was leaning against. “I’ll come back in two hours and the truck better be loaded then.” the same voice announced and Kris knew he had to work fast if he wanted to keep his job, “yeah.” wasting no time he began to load the truck with boxes, a physical job which brought out the worst of him sometimes. He didn’t particularly like such a demanding job, not only because his boss was quite the , but also due to the fact that he would be drained of energy the day after. On the contrary though, did he need the money.

Leerang was right about to push herself away from the truck when the banana milk slipped from her hand, the sound created caught Kris’ attention immediately. “Who's there?” he glanced out, a deep sigh emitted as he noticed Leerang, “what are you doing here? Leave.” the male was surprised and frustrated at the same time, especially since he would’ve never expected the younger girl to show up there. “I don’t have time for you.” to be stressed was one of the worst feelings ever and his mood had already dropped significantly.

“Just leave will you.” Leerang shook her head, the adrenaline rush from the concert was yet to settle down, “don’t want to.” sleep seemed impossible as she was too worked up. More so after have downed a whole bottle of banana milk. “Are you always like that, ignoring other people’s requests?” for some weird reason was he the only person whom Leerang never listened to. She didn’t know why though, “maybe.” she was starting to get on his nerves and Kris ran a hand through his hair whilst trying to come up with another resolution. There was just this small problem, he couldn’t find a solution, “you’ll have to deal with it yourself if the police show up.”

Her mother would probably not like it, if she came home in the backseat of a police car. The thought of that made her a bit hesitant of what to do. But he’d after all helped her a lot, and it wouldn’t be more than fair if she repaid the favor. So, without his consent and whatever did Leerang head up to where he was loading the boxes into the truck, “I’ll help.” the boy wasn’t certain whether he was supposed to laugh, “right.” Kris doubted it, as the boxes weighed about ten kilograms each. What he didn’t know though, was that Leerang were determined to help out. She’d always been told to do her best when it came to such things. “Just wait.” the girl stated, but only loud enough for her to hear.

Kris’ gaze landed upon the younger girl once in awhile, he wanted to make sure she wasn’t slowing him down or hurting herself. The male knew more than well about all the trouble she seemed to attract and it was probably just a matter of time before an incident occurred, something which made him slightly bothered. It would be hard to explain to his boss if she injured herself, as she was not supposed to be there in the first place. “Why are they so heavy?” Leerang whispered in despair. She’d only managed to load four boxes but she was already starting to get tired and worn out. Kris must’ve seen her expression because he spoke up, “just go home before you hurt yourself.” it was obvious he didn’t know her, as such words only encourage the girl further.

It would continue like that. With Leerang ignoring him everytime he told her to leave. But the price of it arrived right as she was about to pick up another box. All her energy had drained and she would’ve dropped the heavy object if it hadn’t been for the fact that Kris noticed her struggle and rushed over to help, “will you go now.” he grabbed the box from her hands before he, with hasty steps, headed over and placed it inside the truck. During those few seconds had Leerang settled herself down on the floor with her back against the wall, “five minute rest.” Kris heaved a sigh but didn’t protest, he needed a small break as well.

“Why are you even here?” he asked once he’d placed himself down against the wall opposite of her. The boy understood she’d followed him there, but why? It wasn’t like his life should matter to her. Leerang though, shrugged her shoulders. To tell him the truth would sound ridiculous, especially after having seen him work, “I don’t know.” Kris raised an eyebrow, it seemed rather impossible to not know, “so, you’re a stalker then?” she shook her head, Leerang was definitely not a stalker, “no, I would never -.” the girl cut herself short when she unintentionally locked eyes with Kris, and everything she was supposed to say vanished into thin air.

Why was he looking at her like that?