43

Miss. Trouble

 

She’d woken up quite depressed, but those thoughts left the moment she came up with the idea of visiting her father. The older male was still held in custody for an indefinite time, and Leerang had no clue of when he would be released. If he would. Because there was a small chance he could face jail time. The whole case hadn’t even been explained, so Leerang was actually not certain to what’d happened. That her father had stolen something was the only thing she knew. But Leerang would put that aside for the time being, as it was her birthday and all. However, the peace was soon enough disturbed by her mother, who called. A call she ignored, as she began to dress. The older woman had to understand Leerang was upset, even more so since she’d been left to celebrate alone. Because really, was it that hard to stay home a few extra days? Unfortunately though, would her mother not stop and the girl had no desire to take the call, therefore did Leerang shut the phone off before heading out. She wasn’t going to let the day be destroyed, not more than it already was.

The police station where her father was kept were located in the northern part of Seoul, so Leerang had to take the bus in order to get there. All hopes of getting to see him were crushed the second the officer explain that no one could meet him until the case was solved. It’s to prevent several things, was the answer to Leerang’s question of why she couldn’t see him. “Please, it’s my birthday and I don’t have anyone else.” the tears rolling down her cheeks weren’t exactly a part of the plan, but nonetheless not something she could control at the moment.

“I’m sorry but we can’t take any risks.” more tears flowed as she tried to reason with the older male, “just a few minutes, please.” the officer wouldn’t listen, “I would go against the law if I let you see him.” Leerang’s heart felt numb, the only thing she wanted was to meet her father for a very short while, but not even that could be organized. It was incredibly frustrated to say the least. “Your father might be released by the end of the week, but it depends on the person who reported him.” slight hope lit within upon hearing that. However, nothing was certain so everything could change. “What would happen if he isn’t released?” it scared her, the possibilities of having to visit her father in jail. “Then he will face jail time for six or seven years.” the statement arrived as a huge shock and she wouldn’t know how to survive without him for so long.

Leerang stood there for a minute or two, speechless by the information as her father risked missing a great deal of her life. “Excuse me. Miss, are you okay?” she heaved a sigh before nodding her head, “I’m fine.” a pathetic lie she couldn’t even hide behind, because her expression revealed everything. But the officer remained silent until the point Leerang announced she would leave. “Someone will contact you by the end of the week and explain what will happen.” the girl bowed before she, with a heavy heart, wandered out of there. Not only had Leerang’s birthday turned into a complete disaster, but her father was now facing the possibility of jail. To make matters worse was that not her only problem. There were tons of other things as well.

Without a destination in mind did she head down the street, her mind was clouded by a mix of difficult decisions that had to be made and her future. Like that wasn’t enough did both Lay and Kris invade her thoughts. The former a little bit more though, because of his statement the previous day and how he was surprised to see a girl eat so much. His words made her wonder what kind of girls’ he’d met. Kris however, was one she had trouble understanding, as he could be nice and caring one moment, but distant and cold the other. The older male was a mystery Leerang were trying to figure out.

The girl had been so indulged in her own little world that she walked right into a pole, the consequence was immediate as she stumbled back and smashed against something else. She let out a low cry when the pain intensified. “Isn’t it little miss stalker.” Tao sniggered, totally unaware of the emotional state Leerang was currently in. “I told you to stop with that.” Luhan was not the slightest pleased by his younger friend, who’d promised to stop with the name calling. “Just trying to lighten the mood.” the older shot Tao a disapproving look and Leerang was actually surprised to have been defended, especially since the two males were friends. Unconsciously though, did the girl glance behind them, as if searching for Kris. “He’s working.” taken aback she glanced at the male who’d spoken, “huh?” a smile graced Luhan’s lips, “you were looking for Kris, right?” almost immediately did her eyes widen and she shook her head in denial. “You’re quite a bad liar.” Tao remarked after he’d noticed her cheeks, who sported a faint pink color. “I’m not.” the girl shot back, only to realize what she’d done a moment later when the male before her smirked. Leerang had unintentionally revealed the lie.

The mood changed in the split of a second as Tao spoke, “be sincere and don’t lie to him.” it took awhile before she understood who he was referring to, “I am.” as far as Leerang knew she hadn’t told Kris a single lie. “Good, because he -.” Luhan interrupted before it was too late, “Tao stop.” they had no right to tell Leerang, therefore did he add on with, “actually we should leave.” the conversation was making her confused and slightly bothered. “No, tell me.” Leerang wanted to know, especially if something had happened. “He’s just fooling around, right?” Luhan mouthed for the younger male to not reveal anything, “right.”

Leerang stared after the two males, slightly dumbfounded, as they disappeared down the street. They’d both kept their mouths sealed and it made the girl even more curious to know, because something was definitely off. To head over and ask Kris was not an option though, as she didn’t know what to say. Your friends are behaving weird and I want to know why, wasn’t exactly anything the girl could ask him. No, it was better if she simply forgot about it. Something she also did when spotting Seoyoung ahead of her, and the worry changed into panic. The absolute last thing Leerang wanted was for the other girl to notice her, therefore did she practically squeeze herself up against the closest wall. “Please just go away.” what scared Leerang was the fact she feared Seoyoung had come for her, because why else would the other girl be in the Northern part of Seoul?

Luck was, like usual, not by the girl’s side and a shiver ran down her spine the second Seoyoung stepped up to her. “So the trash is where she belongs.” Leerang avoided eye contact whilst she shrunk away, but the other girl compensated it by taking a step closer, “do you think you could get away?” Seoyoung’s hand met her cheek and she felt her eyes water as another slap connected with her skin, “I decide when you can leave.” unable to move anywhere Leerang let her shoulders drop in defeat. “Why are you doing this?” she asked as her head hung low. “Because I can.” the contrast between the two were huge, and whilst Leerang was the outcast was Seoyoung seen as one of the most popular kids in school. “Shouldn’t you know why I’m doing this. You’re after all trying to steal Chanyeol away from me.” Leerang knew there was no idea in denying it, because the other girl wouldn’t believe her either how. “Really, you’re not even denying it.” a tear rolled down the second Seoyoung slapped her cheek again, “such a nuisance.”

A female voice sounded in the midst of it all, “what’s going on here?” Leerang recognized the voice and glanced up to see Kris’ mom, who stood just a few meters from them. “What are you doing to this girl?” Seoyoung took a step back, as if to look innocent, but the older woman saw Leerang’s red, tear stained cheeks and noticed that something was wrong. “I think you should leave now.” Kris’ mother was not happy, and Seoyoung let out a snarky comment about how pathetic poor people were before she left. “Are you okay?” Leerang faked a sad smile, one that faltered as her own emotions took over, “please don’t tell anyone.” the older woman was about to object, but remained silent as she remembered a situation she’d been involved in when she was younger. “I won’t. But come to me if you need help, okay?” Leerang nodded, there was no words that could describe the appreciation she felt, thereof the tears rolling down her cheeks.