40

Miss. Trouble

 

"You don't seem to be enjoying yourself?" Leerang spun around, thus coming face to face with the older male, "it's okay." the truth was far from it though, as she'd yet again been forced along to another party. The girl hadn't objected, not only because it was the last day before her mother flew over to Shanghai but also because she needed the woman to be in best possible mood when the topic of University came up. "Should we get out of there?" Lay's request sounded tempting, even more since it meant she would be able to escape Seoyoung and her vicious stares. On the contrary could it cause more trouble for Leerang. "I don't think that's such a good idea." the male wasn't delighted, he'd been certain she would've agreed to leave with him, therefore did he pursue her further, "I know a place where we can be alone." to add on did he gently slide his hand into hers, the words and action were the only thing needed for Leerang to give in, "o -okay."

The said place was none other than the attic of the house, something that was a relief as they wouldn't have to actually leave the property. "Can we be here?" Lay had no idea, but reassured the younger girl it was alright, "yeah." Leerang had barely managed to take a step before she almost stumbled in her heels, "seems like the floor is a bit uneven." the male cracked a smile at his attempt to be funny. "Are you sure we can be here? Because it's all dusty and it looks like no one has been here for years." everything was covered in a gray layer and it made Leerang a bit uneasy as she was afraid of destroying something expensive. "Don't worry, Baekhyun said it was alright." her heart dropped upon hearing that name, because it meant he was probably there, lurking around and waiting for the right opportunity to get a hold of her.

"Come here, I've found something to sit on." Lay guided the girl over to an antique couch, which had to be worth several million won. Its detailed decoration and outstanding condition was remarkable for such an old piece of furniture. "I never thought my competition would be a sofa." Lay joked after have seen the look on her face. Leerang couldn't help it though, antique objects with a history were something the girl admired. "Take a seat," Lay patted the place next to him, thus urging her to sit down, "it's not going to break." his dimple showed as he smiled at her, such a simple act did truly ease Leerang's anxiousness.

"With my luck I wouldn't be so sure." everything seemed to break or get destroyed when the girl was around, therefore was she hesitant whilst carefully placing herself down. Every little squeak would have her bolting straight up again. "Relax. If it can hold my weight it can definitely carry yours." as if to comfort the younger girl did he take a gentle hold of her hand, "trust me." having no reason to doubt him she took a seat. "Look, we're still sitting here." he was right, and Leerang was right about to celebrate when the whole couch moved, the suddenness of it all caused her to squeeze Lay's hand.

"Maybe this was a stupid idea." she was being utterly troublesome and it was starting to annoy the older male, who tried to play it cool. "No." Leerang wouldn't let this opportunity slip away so easily, "I'm just not used to having the furniture I'm sitting on move." Lay would've laughed if it weren't for the pitiful look she displayed. "Me neither." letting his gaze wander he stared out through the small window located right in front of them, "it's unfortunate you can't see the stars from here." the city lights were too bright and one would have to travel to the countryside in order to see them. "You like stargazing?" Leerang was surprised to say the least, she'd never known Lay was a guy who enjoyed such things. Just the thought of Kris liking it caused her to let out a laugh, one which Lay misinterpreted, "are you laughing at me?" almost immediately did she shake her head, "I remembered something, that's all." to bring up Kris didn't seem like a good idea, not after the hostile situation the other day. "Hm."

"You aren't much of a talker are you?" they'd been sitting there for quite a while and it was dead quiet. "Sorry." Leerang felt a bit embarrassed, she wasn't usually that nervous when around boys. Both Chanyeol and Kris were rather easy to keep a conversation going with, therefore was it weird she found nothing to talk to with Lay. "Nothing to be sorry for." he wanted to ask about Kris, who well she knew him and if he'd mentioned anything about Sun Yoo. He doubted it though, because Leerang would have said something then. "I'm sorry for the other day, too." Lay wanted to see if he got some sort of reaction, anything was more than enough. Unfortunately however, did she not give him a lot to work on, "it could've been nicer, but it wasn't your fault." Lay was satisfied, as he believed he'd made Kris look bad in front of Leerang.

"I know, let's play twenty questions." the game was the only thing she could think of at the moment. In fact, it'd become so awkward Leerang wished someone could barge in and break it apart. "Fine." Lay was, despite the childishness of it all, kind of relieved she'd taken the lead in something, even more since he could probably get away with some of the questions without sparking any suspiciousness. "Should I start then?" he nodded, thus giving her the pass to begin. "Which year are you born?" such a simple question was easy to answer, "1991." three years, it wasn't too much. "You are a high school senior so I'm guessing you're born in 1994?" Leerang smiled, "correct." truth to be told had she not expected him to remember. “Okay, ehm. Why did you choose to attend Seoul National University?” his parents didn’t seem to be the kind to have forced him. But she began to question it as the seconds passed. “All my friends applied and I ended up doing so as well.” Leerang was a bit surprised, she’d expected him to have his whole life planned out, especially since he came from such a well-respected and rich family, who probably wanted him to take over the business later on.

"So, what about you? Any plans for the future?" there was only one thing that came to mind, K-ARTS. She could live poorly as long as she could attend the University of her dreams. But knowing her mother she had no hopes of getting that chance. "Get married I guess." Leerang let out a dry, forced laughter, as if she wanted to hide the sadness she felt. It would make her mother proud though, if she managed to marry a rich man. Well, the older woman wouldn't let her daughter marry someone who wasn't up to their status, in other terms, Kris would be the perfect example of who she couldn't marry. "Any possible candidates?" the question was asked with laughter to make it seem less serious. Leerang however, shook her head, "no." it was true. Because even though she indeed like Lay there was no real love between them, and the girl would never marry someone she didn't love.

There was a brief moment of silence, one Lay broke with yet another question, "have you ever had a boyfriend?" slowly letting her gaze move away from his she blushed, “no.” there was underlying embarrassment to that, as both Kai and Sehun had said he disliked s. “Really?” he wasn’t exactly surprised but a bit taken aback nonetheless. It was a wonder no one had taken advantage of her naive self earlier. “I’ve never really liked someone.” sure, Leerang had a few crushes a couple of years back but there had been none of that ever since she entered high school. “So, you like someone now?” Lay knew it wasn’t his turn to ask, but decided to try either how. However, the girl noticed, “not answering because it’s my turn to ask you a question.” Lay frowned, he wanted to know whether she did have feelings for someone, and in that case; who?

Leerang tried to come up with something a little more personal, so she could truly get to know him, “what are your biggest fear?” the male found it ridiculous, he wasn’t afraid or scared of anything, “nothing.” she pouted, it had to be impossible to not have some fears in life. “Nothing?” Lay shrugged his shoulders, “I can’t think of any.” bull, he was actually terrified of one thing, that Kris would managed to win Leerang’s heart before he did. But to say so out loud would be humiliating. “Okay, well. Your first kiss, who do you want to take it?” her pulse skyrocketed in a second, how was she supposed to explain that his friend, Sehun had stolen it? Leerang couldn’t. But to lie him straight in the face wasn't anything she could do either. Therefore did she settle with something in between, “it’s already taken.” on the surface did Lay look unfazed, but within was he boiling in anger. The male wanted to know how it’d happened, and whether he even stood a chance now. Chanyeol, the name echoed inside his head. The other male had already stated he liked Leerang.

All rational thoughts disappeared and Lay was right about to lunge forward and claim the younger girl’s lips when a voice boomed, “HYUNG, EMERGENCY.” frustrated by being interrupted a second time his eyebrows drew together, “what?” Lay turned to watch as Baekhyun came into view, “Sehun and Kai are in trouble.”