36

Miss. Trouble

 

“You’re such a liar.” Jungah pulled at her arm as they were strolling around the aquarium, an activity that was supposed to be fun. However, all Leerang could think about was Chanyeol’s kiss. It must’ve been a mistake, right? For him to actually like her sounded ridiculous. “I can’t believe you kissed him.” wrong. He kissed her, not the other way around. “Ssh, I don’t want Lay to find out.” the girl glanced at the older male, who was walking right next to Chanyeol. Jungah frowned, “but he likes you, and as far as I’ve seen, Lay hasn’t made a single move on you.” still, how could she just throw away the feelings she had for Lay? “I need to use the bathroom.” gently did Leerang withdraw herself from the other girl, and that before she headed towards the restroom.

Leerang’s reflection stared back at her through the mirror, the red eyes she’d sported that morning was almost gone. It was obvious the girl didn’t share the same feelings he did. On the contrary though, had Jungah right about one thing, Lay hadn’t showed as much as an ounce of interest. The almost kiss a few weeks ago were the closest they’d got. Months had passed by and there was still nothing going on between them. “I’ve been so foolish, thinking he would even look twice at someone like me.” it hurt a lot, to think he wasn’t interested. The truth however, weren’t always what one wanted it to be. But Chanyeol was her friend and Leerang would always see him as that. “Oh god, what am I going to do?”

Jungah gave her a sympathetic look the moment she returned, “you have to talk to him.” a sigh slipped from her lips, it was unavoidable, “I know.” the girl wanted to avoid the topic as much as possible, more so since Chanyeol had become one of her closest friends. “He’s a great person and I know I wouldn’t mind having him as my boyfriend.” Leerang couldn’t agree more about the first part, the second however, was a whole another deal as she’d never seen him like that, as a potential boyfriend.

Not too far from the two girls were Chanyeol and Lay, the latter was trying to keep the conversation going, but it was rather hard when his friend spazzed out every other second. “What happened to you?” Chanyeol’s eyes widened and his heart began to beat faster, did his hyung know what’d taken place earlier that day? No, it couldn’t be. “Nothing, just a lot on my mind.” that was definitely not an understatement, the kiss was replying over and over again inside his head. He didn’t regret it though, despite the trouble he could get into. None of it mattered actually, not when he’d come to understand how deeply rooted his feelings were.

“Oh, maybe we should buy some drinks on the way home then.” the suggestion was one Chanyeol declined, alcohol wouldn’t be of any good this time around. The problem would still remain. “Right, speaking of which, where are they?” Lay moved about as he let his gaze wander between the unfamiliar faces, only to spot Leerang and her friend a couple of tens of meters away. Jungah caught the male staring and spoke, “we should probably go, they’re waiting for us.”

An awkward kind of aura settled as the four of them met up. Lay however, chatted on like usual, “where should we head now? We’ve seen most of the stuff already.” he stared ahead whilst trying to come up with something they could do, “is anyone hungry?” Jungah, who’d sensed the tension blurted out, “I am.” she wasn’t exactly hungry, in fact, it was more an excuse. “Great.” Leerang had barely listened to anything being said as all her focus was set on Chanyeol, the older male seemed dazed and totally out of it. “Chanyeol come on, we’re leaving.” out of pure coincidence did their gazes lock and she felt her cheeks heat in embarrassment and surprise over having been caught staring at him. Her action though, was all that was needed for Chanyeol. He had enough of beating around the bush.

Stalking forward he latched onto Leerang’s arm, “we have to talk.” his intense stare sent shivers down the girl’s spine, “now, here?” they had to. There was no other way they could sort this out. “Now.” both Lay and Jungah were so taken aback they didn’t know what to say or do. None of them had expected for Chanyeol to act out like that. “What are you doing, I though we would get something to eat?” something was off and Lay disliked were the situation was heading, “Chanyeol.” for once did his hyung’s stern voice not intimidate him, he was going to go through with it nonetheless. “We’ll be right back.” Leerang threw the other girl a worried look, as if terrified of what the older male would do.

Chanyeol came to a stop as they arrived to a more deserted hallway, something which resulted in that he let go of her arm, “I’m going to be blunt.” he could feel his pulse exhilarate as he stared down on the younger girl, “be honest, do you like me?” eyes wide Leerang took a step back, how was she supposed to answer that? “Tell me honestly.” she did like him, but not in that kind of way. “I -eh..” the girl swallowed hard, she was certain he would turn his back on her once they’d talked. “I like you.” Leerang couldn’t say it came as a shock, not after the kiss and all, but she was overwhelmed and had a hard time understanding what it meant for them.

“I’m sorry. I...” it was painful, but it wouldn’t be fair. Not for him, not for anyone. “Don’t worry, it’s Lay right.” he’d already known about her heart and how it wasn’t beating for him. But Chanyeol took a chance and he didn’t regret it even though he hadn’t received the reply he’d wanted. “Sorry.” deliberately did Leerang avoid looking at him, it was impossible to not feel guilty, “me too.” if she could’ve just fallen for Chanyeol then everything would’ve been easier. “Eh, well. I just wanted you to know.” he spoke with such a joyous tone she knew something was wrong. To say anything though, would probably make things worse, therefore did she keep shut. “Ah right, don’t mention this to hyung, please.” she agreed without even hesitating, “I won’t.” maybe he thought it was embarrassing and didn’t want anyone to find out he’d been rejected.

Lay and Jungah stood rooted to the same spot they’d been standing when Chanyeol dragged her away, “is everything alright?” the oldest of the four gave Chanyeol a knowing glare, one the younger male had witnessed more than enough. He understood Lay wasn’t amused by his little stunt. “Yeah everything's fine, right?” Leerang nodded, “there’s nothing to worry about.” the girl was such a bad liar, however, no one said anything. “Okay then, problem solved. Can we eat now?” Jungah felt her stomach scream for food, which wasn’t too weird considering it was quite a few hours since they’d eaten breakfast. “Let’s do that.” a sigh slipped from her lips as the previous incident were pushed aside.

The only person who hadn’t forgotten about it was Chanyeol, who wanted no more than to drown his sorrows with alcohol, something he would do later that evening as he’d bought several bottles of soju on the way home. “Isn’t it a bit too early to starting drinking?” Lay placed himself down in the armchair opposite of his friend. “Not really.” so what if the clock had just struck six pm, it wasn’t like there was any school or anything the coming day. “Hmm, did walking around the aquarium and Haeundae beach tire you out that much?” the male laughed, unaware of what kind of pain Chanyeol was experiencing.

“Maybe we should bring a wheelchair along next time. You know, so you don’t tire yourself out.” more laughter escaped Lay’s mouth, laughter that died out the second Chanyeol slammed the bottle of soju against the table, “do you know what tires me out? You being a ing . You’re playing that stupid game of yours, yet you can’t see how much she likes you.” hyung or not, he’d had enough. Chanyeol wasn’t going to watch Leerang get hurt. Not after have seen what the heartbreak did to Sun Yoo.

“Treat the girl right, or I’m going to steal her from you.”