38

Miss. Trouble

 

With tears streaming down her cheeks she stepped out on the street. Leerang had just spent the past three hours talking to a police officer about her father's case and it was a lot worse than what the girl had first believed. There’s going to be an investigation to decide the value of everything your father has stolen and he’s going to be kept in custody until it’s done, the officer explained. Just the mere thought of possibly not being able to see her dad for weeks, maybe months, pained Leerang. Even more so since this was a critical time in her life where she needed him more than ever.  

“Yo! Stalker girl.” Leerang spun around, she’d had enough of the whole joke and was definitely not in the mood for anything, “will you stop with that already.” it must’ve looked pathetic with her trying to sound angry all the whilst she was crying. “Wow,” Tao moved back, surprised by how easily the girl seemed to cry, “are you really that sensitive?” one didn’t need to be sensitive in order to be upset about being called a stalker, especially as Leerang aren't following anyone around. And she was just about to tell him that when her eyes fixed on a completely different person, who exited the same building she’d precisely stepped out from. The male however, were yet to take notice of the girl. “Tao, I can’t bail you out everytime you get into trouble.” hearing his voice caused indescribable things to happen within Leerang. “Hyung.” Tao took a step aside, thus giving Kris the chance to spot the younger girl, whose eyes widened as she saw what he’d done to his hair.

It was safe to say Kris was taken aback, he’d not expected for her to show up there. A small sense of worry grew though, when seeing the tears rolling down Leerang’s cheeks. “You made her cry again, didn’t you.” the male sighed, he couldn’t understand why his friends took such great interest in the girl. “But hyung -.” Tao was briskly interrupted, “not another word.” an awkward silence settled after that, one Leerang’s cell phone ended as it began to ring, “hello?” her eyes shot open and she let out a small gasp once hearing the other person’s voice, “are you okay?” Lay, but how? She hadn’t given him her number. As if he’d read her thoughts he spoke, “don’t worry. Jungah gave me your number.” Leerang nodded, “oh. Well, I’m fine.” the truth was far from it. “Really, what did they say?” not wanting to tell him the girl explained there’d been a mistake and that they’d released her father. She couldn’t have Lay knowing what’d actually happened. “That’s good.” having to lie wasn’t something Leerang liked, but a white lie was better than him getting to know the real truth, “yeah.” raising her head she accidentally stared straight at Kris, whose gaze were so intense she gulped down.

“Leerang?” she spun around, it was impossible trying to maintain a conversation when Kris kept on looking at her. “Mm?” why was she acting like that? Getting all worked up just because of the older male. “You spazzed out for awhile. Are you sure everything’s alright?” the beats of her heart exhilarated at the sound of a worried Lay. Maybe she’d been wrong all along, what if he did care but was too shy to admit it. “I’m sure. Everything is perfectly fine.” there was a brief pause before Lay continued, “do you want to meet?” almost instantly did Leerang answer yes.

“Have you eaten anything yet?” there’d been several hours since the girl last ate and she was actually starting to get hungry again, “no.” Lay smirked, “great. You like sweets right? Because my friend told me about this really nice café.” the male looked forward to seeing Leerang’s expression once she understood where he would take her. “Mm, I like it.” she absolutely loved cakes and other sugary treats. “Should I pick you up in about an hour?” that would be perfect as it gave Leerang enough time to head home to her mother’s house, “an hour, okay.”

Kris was the only one who’d remained as she turned around, the other male must’ve left during the few minutes she hadn’t been facing them. The way he kept on staring at her made the girl slightly bothered, “is something wrong?” the question left before she even got the chance to think it over and Leerang feared Kris would lash about, as the male wasn’t the best person to be blunt in front, more so since he could have quite the temper. “Why, should it?” his lips drew into a thin line as he let his eyes remain locked with hers. “I... don’t know.” she felt uneasy and that despite the distance between the two of them. “Well, I need to go.” Kris’ eyes hardened, the action caused Leerang to wonder what was truly going on. The older male was acting out of character, though she didn’t have time to start with the twenty questions, “bye.”

Thirty minutes had passed once she finally stepped inside the house, something that gave her enough time to take a quick shower and dress. “I wonder if one could consider it a date?” Leerang’s heart flutter at the thought of going on a date together with Lay. It was practically a dream come true and she was determined to prove Jungah wrong. The girl would show everyone what a nice person Lay were, an ordeal that didn’t seem to be too hard as he was the total opposite of Kris. Therefore was it with a bright mood she, when Lay rung the doorbell, opened the door and greeted him, “hi.” his dimple showed as he smiled, “are you ready to go?” there was a small nod from her side and the two of them left after she’d locked.

“I hope you don’t mind going to the North?” Leerang wouldn’t mind, but she was to say a bit surprised he wanted to go there, “no, not really.” a smirk grew on the male’s lips as he drove the few kilometers it was left, “I’ve never been there before but my friend said they had some really tasty pastries.” just the thought of devouring a nice chocolate cake caused to water, “sounds good.” totally clueless of what was to come Leerang tilted her head so she could look out on the bypassing scenery outside the window.

“Can I ask you a question?” instinctively did she turn her attention towards the older male, curious to what he wanted to ask, “what do you want to know?” Lay gave her a quick glance, “did something happen between Chanyeol and you?” it couldn’t be possible for him to know about the kiss, only she, Jungah and Chanyeol knew. That’s of course, if one of them hadn’t told Lay. “N -no. Don’t think so.” trouble would arise if he got to know the truth, therefore did she not mention anything. “Okay.” his reply was fast and straightforward as he was disappointed in her for lying. Lay wasn’t stupid, he’d taken notice of the way her voice shook and the small stutter. They were typical when one lied. Leerang though, believed she’d succeeded in getting away with it. The girl decided then and there to call Jungah once she got home, so she could tell the other girl to never bring up the kiss. “I hope I didn’t make you feel uneasy. It wasn’t my intention.” Lay rolled his eyes after she’d reassured him that she weren’t bothered by it. Just wait, because in a few minutes you will be, his mind added on.

Indeed. Leerang was immensely troubled as Lay parked his car right outside the café Kris’ mom owned. “Come on, aren't you hungry?” not anymore. She just wanted to get the hell out of there before Kris saw her. “I’m paying so there’s no need to worry.” money wasn’t the problem. “Leerang?” Lay tried to sound upset, “I thought you wanted to eat.” immediately did the girl feel bad, in fact, Leerang couldn’t really understand why she was so bothered by the possibility of meeting Kris. They weren’t even friends to begin with. “I do.” pushing the other male out of her thoughts she stepped out of the car and headed inside together with Lay, but that’s also how far they got before Kris roared at them, “OUT.” never would he let Lay eat there, over his dead body.

“You’re not welcomed here.” Leerang had never, during the few months she’d know Kris, seen him so furious. It was quite scary. “Shouldn’t you treat us better, we’re actually customers you know.” the oldest of the three scoffed, “out, you can be customers someplace else.” Kris despised showing that side of him in front of Leerang, but the other male brought the worst out of him. “No wonder there’s no one here, you probably usher everyone out the door before they even get to order.” seeing Lay act like that was new. Both of them were behaving out of the ordinary, “what’s going on?” she moved about to look at Lay because it was rather obvious there was something. “Nothing. We’ll be going.” taken aback Leerang stared after the retreating male, whom she arrived with.

“Why did you bring him here?” Leerang turned to face him, and that as Kris was trying to calm his racing pulse, an ordeal which would take a couple of minutes. “I didn’t. He brought me.” despite not knowing what Lay’s intention was Kris knew it couldn’t be any good. “I’m going to leave now.” in a hurry did he grab onto Leerang’s arm, thus causing the girl to stop in her track, “just don’t trust him so easily.”