45

Miss. Trouble

 

The first school day of the new semester had officially come to an end and Leerang was making her way over to the gate, a place she was supposed to meet Jungah. But it wasn't the other girl who stood there when she arrived, and Leerang felt her heart jump as Lay pushed himself off the wall, "I never thought I would find you." he’d been waiting for her in hope that he could make up for his terrible manners the previous week.

“Your phone was shut off so I couldn’t get a hold of you.” Lay headed up to the younger girl all the whilst she bit her bottom lip, “m -my battery died.” it was a lie though, because Kris did still have her phone. She'd manage to totally forget about it in the midst of everything. "Well, it doesn't matter now." the smile he showcased didn't create the explosion of fireworks she normally felt, and Leerang turned to glance at the school building as she wanted Jungah to show up already. "Are you waiting for someone?" Lay tried his hardest to hide the disappointment, especially since he'd showed up there just because of her. "Only Jungah." the other girl was supposed to arrive any minute, something she didn't and Leerang was left looking like a fool in front of Lay.

"Are you sure she's coming?" she wasn't as certain anymore, but couldn't call to check as Kris had her phone. "She said she would. But I don't know now." hearing this Lay took his chance, "let's do something then, the two of us." he wouldn't take a no for an answer, therefore did the male add on with, "whatever you want." never had he gone through this much trouble for a girl before, and it was becoming ridiculous, the things he did for her. Leerang was happier though, "really?" he nodded, totally oblivious of what she had in mind.

"There's an art exhibition today that I want to attend, but without Jungah I'm not certain it’ll be possible." the girl had been looking forward to it, even more so as there was rather hard to get a hold of an invitation. “I see.” Lay had absolutely no interest in art and would do about anything to skip it, “but can’t you go another time?” she could, but the girl needed inspiration for the fast approaching University application that needed to be sent in, and the art exhibition was the perfect place to find that. "It's really important, sorry." Leerang glanced towards the school building just in time to catch Jungah, who looked somewhat distressed and in a rush, "I'm really sorry you had to wait. Stupid teacher wouldn't let me go."

"Are you coming, too?" Lay didn't know what to answer, as he wanted to be alone with Leerang, "I don't know." he shot the younger girl a quick glance, the look on her face told him everything, "no, I have some other things to attend." his reply arrived as a small surprise for Leerang considering how he'd, a couple of minutes earlier, asked if she wanted to do something. "Maybe another time then." Jungah was clueless to what'd happened and were in fact just waiting for her friend to say goodbye to Lay, an ordeal that was taken care of a moment later, "Well, I guess I'll see you around." Leerang felt slightly bad, especially since she was a tad relieved over the fact that he left. But the coming week was important and the girl needed to be focused as she had to finish her application. It was more the drawing though, because the rest of it was all filled in and ready to be sent. “Hm, why does it feel like there’s something fishy between the two of you.” Leerang acted as if she had no idea of what the other girl were talking about before she then changed subject, “aren’t we going to the exhibition?”

“I can’t believe you ditched him because of an art exhibition.” Jungah had, during the ride to the said location, pursued her friend to tell the truth. “I need to focus on other things, and my priority right now is to get the application to K-ARTS done.” there was only a week left until the deadline and Leerang had not even started with the drawing, something that could destroy it all. “Wow, you’re really going against your mother.” for once would she stand up for herself, “it’s my dream and I won’t let anyone take it away from me.” her determination to get into Korea National University of Arts had only increased after what Kris had said the previous day, about true value and how one needed to treasure the things you had, and talent was definitely included in that category. “True that.”

Leerang got the shock of her life the second the two of them entered the exhibition. Because there, right in front of her was Kris, talking and laughing together with Jungah’s friend. “What is he doing here?” she was slightly surprised by the other girl’s outburst, but Leerang couldn’t hide the fact that she, too, was curious, “I... don’t know.” as if on cue did Kris turn towards them, the smile on his lips faltered when his gaze locked with hers, but it didn’t hinder Leerang’s heart from beating a little faster. “Hm, I wonder why he’s always looking at you like that.” Jungah tilted her head to the side, confused to why the older male took such a great interest in her friend, “maybe he likes you.” abruptly did Leerang snap her head to the left, “no way, never.” she laughed it off as if Jungah had just told her a joke. Because really, there was no chance Kris could like her. “Don’t be so certain. I have a sixth sense when it comes to this kind of stuff.”

“What are you doing here?” she’d walked straight up to Kris after Jungah disappeared off to the bathroom. “I don’t know, cheap vacation I guess.” he couldn’t even afford to travel out of Seoul, that’s how tight he had to hold his money. “What?” Leerang was dumbstruck, she’d never heard anyone describe an art exhibition like that before, therefore was she also quick to ask him why, “you’re seeing this as vacation?” the question must’ve sounded rather arrogant because Kris’ eyebrows drew together in a disapproving manner, “not everyone is rich you know.” the girl knew. Unfortunately though, had she totally forgotten about his financial situation for a second, and Leerang mouthed a low apologize before she walked off, thus leaving him alone again.

“Why must I always make a fool out of myself in front of him?” Leerang asked herself as she waited for Jungah to return, something she also did a moment or two later, a small smile was painted upon the other girl’s lips. “He’s looking at you again.” out of pure curiosity did she glance towards where Kris had stood, only to get it confirmed, because their gazes locked for a second time. “Are you not going to do anything about it?” Leerang turned to the other girl, “huh?” she had a vague picture of what her friend meant but wasn’t certain, as there weren’t much she could actually do. Jungah ignored the information she’d been given, about him having a girlfriend, before she urged Leerang on, “it’s obvious he likes you, so go talk to him or something.” instinctively did the girl shake her head, “he has a girlfriend already.” it was a lie, but Jungah didn’t know that. “So, it’s not forbidden to talk to him.” even so, it didn’t feel right. Nothing of that helped though, because in the next moment was Leerang literally pushed forward, and in the direction of where Kris stood.

The incident caused Kris to change his attention and he watched with slight surprise and curiosity to how the younger girl advanced with hesitant steps. “Act normal.” the sentence was the first one Leerang uttered when she’d reached him. But being his usual self Kris decided to ask for the reason, “why?” unknown feelings sparked within and she had a hard time hiding the blush that crept upon her cheeks when his intense gaze met hers again, “tell me.” never, it would be too embarrassing. “Just do as I say, please.” the girl wouldn’t know what to do if Jungah were to know the truth, that she already knew Kris since before, especially as Leerang had no idea what kind of reaction she would get. “And what’s in for me?” what, how could he possibly demand such a thing?

“You’re not being fair.” Kris eyed her with an amused expression, “really? Then why should I do as you say?” a small smirk became evident on his lips before he continued, “it’s not like you expected me to do it for free, right?” actually she did, and it was also therefore she were taken aback by his words, because the girl couldn’t remember that he’d ever wanted compensation for anything before. “Okay, okay. Anything you want. But you have to do exactly what I tell you to.” it’d reached a certain desperation level and Leerang had no option but to take drastic measures, something that included him doing what she said. “Fine.”

Everything had moved on perfectly and Kris was actually listening to the things she were telling him. He’d not mentioned anything to Jungah, about them already knowing each other since earlier, and it was safe to say she was impressed. Leerang thought he would’ve revealed it all and put her into a really awkward situation, but not. “Your friend is kind of weird.” she cracked a small smile and without a second thought did she speak, “you’re kind of weird, too.” Leerang slapped a hand over the moment Kris turned to look at her, his lips were pressed into a thin line and the girl was certain he was upset. “Sorry.” her shoulders sank and she stared down on the floor after have taken notice of the unchanging facial expression of his, and once again had her big mouth destroyed another conversation. “Why are you doing that? Always apologizing for your thoughts and statements.” about every single time the younger girl said something did she end up with saying sorry. “What are you so afraid of?” Kris couldn’t understand it, why Leerang behaved like that. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” she glanced over to where Jungah stood, the other girl was occupied and therefore not looking at them. In other terms would Leerang have to solve the problem on her own, "I'm not afraid of anything." the biggest lie ever. "Really? Then why do you look so frightened?" Kris' lips drew into a smirk and Leerang frowned at the sight, as the girl was now the one becoming frustrated, "I'm not."

They hadn't spoken to one another after that, and it took an hour before they were interrupted by Jungah, "Leerang, the exhibition is closing." a wave of relief swept over her and she felt like celebrating over having been released from the awkwardness that'd followed the conversation with Kris. "Annyeong." Jungah greeted the older male, only to be given a nod from his side in reply. "Are you staying over at your father's house today?" Leerang answered with a simple yes, and the other girl was fast to use it to her advantage, "then, why don't you take the bus back with Kris? That's of course if he don't mind." Jungah changed her attention towards the male at the second sentence. "Ah, it's oka -." before getting the chance to finish was Leerang cut short, "fine." Kris did for once not feel irritated by Leerang's friend. "Great. I'll see you tomorrow then. Bye." it all happened so fast, too fast for her liking and before she knew it was she left alone with Kris, who gave Leerang an amused expression, "looks like you're stuck with me."

Ten minutes later were the two of them seated next to each other on the bus, Leerang had taken the window seat and was currently looking out through the window. Well, truth to be told was she staring at Kris' reflection. "Is it that interesting?" he spoke without giving her as much as a single glance, "what is?" Leerang hadn't understood his question. "The view, you've been looking at the window like you've never witnessed such a scene before." if he only knew that her gaze hadn’t left his reflection, “I haven’t.” Leerang’s heart did that fluttering thing again and she was left speechless as she watched Kris’ face lit up in a small smile.
 
~~

I'm selling a really rare photobook, so, if you're interested please press here.