2

Miss. Trouble

 

School had finished for the day and Leerang was just about to head towards the bus stop when her homeroom teacher stepped up, “do you have time ? There’s something I would like to talk to you about.” biting down on her lower lip she nodded her head. It couldn’t possibly be about her grades, as the girl made sure that they were on top. Leerang did about everything to keep them in order so that her mother wouldn’t bother. It was kind of sad actually. How the girl, sort of, lived a life her mother wanted. Dreams and values were shoved aside because of the old woman. Others thoughts were more important than Leerang’s.

“Is something wrong?” her heart was thumping fast. The only thing on the girl’s mind was the consequences that would take place if her grades had dropped. She shivered at the thought of having to study all day and night long. The older woman was the devil when it came to education, and getting top grades were the only thing that counted. “No, nothing’s wrong. I only wanted to ask if you could hand this over to your mother.” an envelope was handed over to Leerang, her mother’s name was nicely written across the white paper. “Can I ask what the content is?” it was definitely worth a try, one that actually paid off, “it’s the plans for our annual prom.” oh god no. Were they being serious about that? Why was it that her mother had to involve herself with everything that regarded parties?

“Ah, really.” it was with an overwhelming distaste that Leerang let the envelop slid down into her bag. The prom hadn’t exactly been one she was looking forward to. However, she had still promised herself to go, and that only because it was her senior year. Though, with this new information was Leerang doubting that promise. “That was all, you can leave now.” with a distressed heart did she straighten up, the bag felt heavy in her hands as she bowed, “goodbye.”

Leerang had needed to run in order to catch the bus, the huge vehicle would’ve left without her if it hadn’t been for that she’d screamed at it to wait. But it was already late and the girl had no wish to wait another thirty minutes for the next bus. Plus, Leerang was heading home to her father’s house, something that took long enough already.

The girl couldn’t, as she sat there, help but to hope that the older male wouldn’t drink that night. Nearly half of the money he earned every month went to alcohol, which was a pity since he needed it buy other things. Unfortunately was that something her father didn’t care about. In fact, it was not unusual for Leerang to pay his rent those months he couldn’t make it. But that was an ordeal her mother didn’t know about, as she’d forbidden her daughter to pay anything for that lousy father of hers.

“Look, look, it’s them.” out of pure curiousity did her gaze wander towards the front of the bus. She wanted to know why people were making a fuss, especially since the vehicle had stopped at Seoul National University. “LAY OPPA, SARANGHAE.” the female voice came from right behind her seat and Leerang slapped her hands over her ears to shield away the ear deafening scream. “So loud.” the girl shook her head in a disapproving manner, and that all the whilst her gaze landed upon the boy that’d stepped on. Leerang’s lips parted to let out a gasp when she noticed who it was, “him.” it was the handsome guy from the previous week’s party. But how come she’d never seen him on the bus before?

In haste did she turn her head, an action that caused her cheek to smash against the window. “Ouch.” to embarrass herself seemed to be the highlight of the month. “Ah, you’re the pool girl, right?” Leerang didn’t even know why she reacted to that name, but she did and that earned her laughter from some of the boys, “hyung, maybe you should strip before she throws water at you.” more laughter could be heard, “it was an accident.” like she would want to see any of them , don’t really think so. Stupid boys who believe that the world revolves around them.

“Kyungsoo, leave her be.” Leerang’s eyes rounded in surprise when the handsome boy, instead of making fun of the girl, defended her. However, Lay had only done so because he wasn’t the slightest interested in the said girl. She was a matter the boy wanted to get rid of fastest possible. “Hyung, you’re such a killjoy.” Leerang, unsure to what’d really happened, gawked when the six boys disappeared further back in the bus. “How do you know Lay oppa?” a bit taken aback she turned to the girl seated right behind her, the one that’d screamed so loudly. “I don’t.” really, she had no idea to who he was. Though, the other girl seemed hesitant to whether Leerang was telling the truth or not, “really?” yeah, why would anyone even lie about not knowing someone?

More than a third of the bus was empty when it drove over the bridge towards the northern parts of Seoul. Mainly because no one from gangnam would ever set their foot in that area. Amongst the students in her school was it considered filthy to go there, and you would even be stamped as an outsider if you were seen with someone from the north. It was social suicide, as someone would call it. Leerang though, didn’t care about that. How could she when she’d spent more than half her life living there. That her mother had married a rich man didn’t mean anything to the girl. Well, having access to money was great, but the lifestyle people expected you to live was not one Leerang liked.

Night had fallen by the time she stepped off the bus. “I’m definitely going to sleep in tomorrow.” it would be Saturday, a normal one for once. Still, the term normal didn’t really exist within her family so anything could happen. If only her dad stopped with the drinking then maybe, just maybe, Leerang would be able to experience a somewhat normal weekend. She wouldn’t count on it though. Not after everything that’d happened. To drown his sorrows were her father’s favorite hobby, his only one actually.

The journey up the small hill would take about ten minutes. But before heading home had Leerang decided to buy something to eat, as she guessed that her father hadn’t bought any food. It was a wonder that the old man managed to keep his work in that kind of state. If he wasn’t drunk then he had a hangover. The girl couldn’t even remember the last time he was sober. However, it’d proceeded for so many years that Leerang had learned to live with it.

“Welcome.” the old woman that owned the supermarket greeted her with a warm smile, one that she returned with slight modesty. Ramyeon, kimchi, water and some snacks would be enough to feed the two, especially since it was already late. “Ahjumma, did my dad stop by today?” Leerang wanted to know whether she should expect him to be drunk or not. “No, not today.” surprise became evident on her face. Maybe there was a chance that he was still sober after all. “Thank you.” her mood had increased, the incident on the bus was long forgotten as she hurried up the hill. “Please let him be sober.” she ranted that over and over again as she ran, the school bag slamming against her back with every step.

Farther up the hill was a group of rowdy boys making their way towards the bus stop Leerang stepped off at. “I can’t believe hyung ditched us again.” Suho complained in a childish manner, one that earned him a slap in the backhead from Tao, “you know Kris has to work, yet you act like that.” what, was it so wrong for him to wish that their leader were with them? “Yah, can’t I miss him?” the four boys rolled their eyes when Suho faked a cry, “I’m so telling Kris hyung.” Luhan slapped a hand over his face, the younger boy was acting like he’d lost his mother.

“There’s no need, he already thinks you’re a pabo.” Tao’s words caused everyone but Suho to laugh. “See, Tao’s a total bully.” the other four boys had stopped in their track all the whilst Suho was continuing to making a fuss. “Guys?” confused to what was going on Suho let his eyes dart in the direction of where his friends were staring. . His defense mechanism, along with the other fours, was put into action, as they advanced forward.

Leerang had been so into her own world of troubles that she hadn’t taken notice of the incoming group of boys. Well, that was until they stepped up and placed themselves in a circle around her. “Excuse me.” she tried to push past them but was instantly pulled back, as someone had grabbed onto her backpack. “You don’t belong here.” terrified Leerang was spun around, only to come face to face with another boy. “Let me go.” she couldn’t help but to remember the incident on the bus when boys around her laughed.

“Who sent you?” dumbfounded by the accusations she stared up on the dark-haired boy, “I live here you .” Leerang’s choice of words weren’t too appreciated, and she soon found herself in deep trouble. “Don’t try to be smart with me.” a hard yank and her backpack was in the hands of the boys, “Yah, what are you doing.” one of the boys grabbed onto her arms and locked them behind her back before she managed to retrieve the bag. “Hm, should we see if the rich kid got something fun.” horrified Leerang watched as her bag was zipped open and the contents were emptied down on the ground. The only thing in her bag though, was the schoolbooks, her pad with drawings and the envelope given to Leerang by her homeroom teacher.

“Leave that be.” she could only watch, as one of them opened the envelope, “well, well, look at this. The girl is loaded with money.” how could they know that? It wasn’t like she had a stamp on her forehead saying so. “It’s not mine.” the significantly taller male stared down on her, “really, then how did this end up in your possession?” a white lie and they would let her go, she hoped so at least, “someone must’ve misplaced it.” that could actually happen, in fact, Leerang had experienced it several times before. “Well, it doesn’t matter whether I rip it to shreds then.” the paper was carelessly ripped apart before she even got the chance to react. God, her mother was going to kill her.