25

Miss. Trouble

 


The girl was not the slightest happy over what’d happened. She had to walk home to her father’s with wet clothes, only to realize that the older male wasn’t even there. Luckily had her phone managed to survive the water bath, but it didn’t matter because Leerang’s father hadn’t answered when she’d called. “Why isn’t he here?” as far as she knew he was supposed to be home. An unsettling feeling grew within, it couldn’t be that he was out drinking?

Leerang took her time to shower and dress into some new clothes whilst waiting. The wait however, turned into several hours and she was starting to get really worried. The fact that he wouldn’t pick up his phone either, made it even worse. “Dad why must you be like this?” she picked up the picture frame standing in the bookshelf, one which displayed all three of them on a vacation when she was younger. It was actually the first, only and last one they went on.

“You’re making me anxious.” she added on just before her cell phone rang, the small device was soon pressed against her ear, “mom ther -.” her voice was overshadowed by the older woman’s, “Leerang why aren’t you home?” the girl was beyond baffled, she’d told her mother several times that she was going to celebrate her father’s birthday at his house. “Mom, I told yo -.” once again was she interrupted, “it doesn’t matter right now. We’ve been invited over to dinner at my friend’s house so you need to come home this instant.” the call disconnected before she got the chance to object.

Her shoulders deflated as she slid down on the floor. Staring ahead the girl fixed her gaze on the picture frame again, “why must it be like this?” the two adults were supposed to be there, protecting her. Instead though, was Leerang tossed around like a ragdoll and forced to do things she didn’t want. It couldn’t be normal. “Why can’t everything just go back to as it used to be.” there had been a time when her mother still cared and when Leerang’s father didn’t drown his sorrows in soju. But that was years ago and the girl had sort of forgotten how it felt to have a real family.

Another twenty minutes passed without a single word from her father and she refused to leave before he showed up. For once was Leerang not going to follow her mother’s order, something the older woman didn’t seem to appreciate because the girl’s phone rang for a second time. She would be in big trouble for ignoring the call, but she couldn’t care less at that moment. A birthday was something one celebrated once a year, whilst parties and such took place each and every week. “Please dad, come home now.” the clock ticked on without any signs of the male and Leerang decided to call him again, only to be directed to voicemail almost instantly. All kinds of scenarios popped up inside her head, one worse than the other. What if something had happened?

It took several hours before Leerang awoke by the sound of the door being slammed shut. Her eyes blinked open and she smacked her lips together a few times, “dad?” there was no answer and the girl took a hurried glance on the clock, only to realize that it was already past eleven pm. “Dad, wh -.” Leerang jumped when there was a loud clatter coming from the hallway, and it was with careful steps she advanced forward, “dad?” the older male murmured something under his breath as he stapled further inside. “DAD.” Leerang rushed to her father side when he was about to fall, it became rather obvious that he’d been drinking as the intense smell met her nostrils.

“What are you doing here?” the man pushed himself away before he dragged his feet over to the couch, where he settled down. His head throbbed as the strong alcohol worked it’s way around his system. “I want to be alone.” Leerang brushed it off, thinking that he was just saying that because she’d caught him drunk. “But dad, I bought you birthday gifts.” she reached over and grabbed onto the heavy bag with presents, one he refused to even look at. The man wanted to be left alone in his misery, “just go.” he heaved a deep sigh whilst averting his gaze elsewhere. It was already enough that Leerang had seen him like that, drunk and pathetic. “Please.” she placed herself down on the couch next to her father before urging him to take the plastic bag. Her father though, snapped as he violently shoved the heavy bag away, “LEAVE ME ALONE.”

The gifts went sailing to the floor after they’d hit Leerang straight in the face, her skin must’ve cracked in some place because she could feel a liquid run down her cheek. Obviously stunned the girl stared at the male, who was barely looking at her. He didn’t even apologize for the incident. So, with tears pricking her eyelids did Leerang push herself off the couch, “I’ll leave you alone.” grabbing her things she left. There was no reason for her to stay if he behaved like that. The wound on her cheek became a small problem though, as the blood continued to trickle down. It was impossible to get it to stop, too, since the girl didn’t have anything to press against the bleeding injury. To call her mother wasn’t an option either, the woman would probably yell at her for not showing up.

Not too far away was Kris making his way home after have been at his friend’s house. The male had his earphones plugged in whilst he, in a casual manner, walked down the street. Kris wasn’t exactly paying much attention to what was going on around him, as his thoughts were occupied with other things. Such as Suho’s nagging, which was kind of new since Xiumin was normally the one who were a constant bother. However, instead of begging for food like the latter one had Suho told him to hook up with Leerang. He’d laughed, it was truly that ridiculous, especially since he’d explained more than once that he wasn’t the slightest interested in the younger girl. She was far too clumsy and innocent for his taste. A bit too stupid as well. Almost as if she had no idea of how society worked.

She stepped on her shoelace and went flying towards the ground, the difference was that she’d managed to ease the fall with her hands that time around, which was a huge relief. Leerang wouldn’t take having to limp around again. It was bad enough that she’d had to do it once already. A blood drop landed on the asphalt next to her when she moved about to tie the shoelace. The pain wasn’t immense but the gash must’ve been quite deep if blood was still emerging from it. “Why do I have to be so stupid? Leerang asked herself whilst she poked her fingertip into the blood drop that’d fallen to the ground, the dramatic red color looked out of place against her pale skin and she dragged her finger along the asphalt to remove the fluid. It pained Leerang to think about her two parents, especially since it was rather obvious how they were drifting apart. She’d always been closer to her father, even more so after the divorce, but it seemed to be changing. Her dad was no longer the person he used to be.

Kris frowned and pressed his lips together when spotting the person ahead. There was something familiar but he couldn’t pinpoint what it was though, as he advanced forward. Leerang was totally clueless about the incoming male and remained in the same position, kneeling down and staring at the asphalt, as the girl had no wish of going anywhere. An anxious filled shiver traveled up her spine at the thought of her mother and what the older woman would do once she returned home. Leerang was certain she would feel the wrath. There were no doubt about that.

Reaching out he gently brushed his hand against the girl’s shoulder, who spun around in fear and surprise. The blood smeared cheek was the first thing which captured his attention, and that before he took notice of who it was. Kris didn’t know what to believe when their gazes locked for a brief second. One thing was for sure, she’d been crying, because her eyes were red and puffy. Leerang turned away, thus ignoring him. The older male was the last person she wanted to see that moment. “Are you going to sit here all day or what?” Kris ran his tongue along his bottom lip, he was annoyed at himself for even caring about the younger girl. “Yes.” she answered without giving him as much as a single glance. She had to be stupid, because why else would she just sit there like a fool.

Kris stepped around the girl when she refused to look at him, his eyes fell upon her cheek and he sighed, “go home.” it was obvious her cheek needed to be treated and there was no chance he would bring her along to his place. Leerang ignored him completely though, as she had no intention on doing what he said. “Fine, it’s not like I care.” the boy was upset, it showed, because he left with a displeased expression.