19

Miss. Trouble

 


The doorbell rang just as she was about to head out. Her mother wasn’t home, nor was her stepfather. Therefore was it with a slight uneasy feeling Leerang looked through the peephole. An ever smiling Chanyeol stood there, holding onto some sort of plastic bag. Unlocking she pulled the door open, “is something wrong?” the girl watched as he shook his head, “no, nothing’s wrong.” glancing down on the bag she waited for some sort of explanation. “I wanted to treat you back since you paid for the pizza the other day.” shocked she glanced up to meet his gaze, “you d -didn’t have to.” Leerang was hesitant of what to do, especially since she was just about to head over to the north and retrieve her clothes. “Maybe it was a bad idea.” his smile faltered and the girl felt bad instantly. He’d after all done quite a lot for her. “W -wait.”

Within a couple of minutes were the two of them seated on the living room floor. Leerang was glancing back and forth between all the food the boy had brought with him. She had no idea how they were supposed to finish it all though. “They’re not going to bite you.” Chanyeol joked before he motioned for the younger girl to start eating. “I know.” there was with slight hesitation which she carefully picked up the chopsticks and reached out to grab a piece of kimbap. Leerang couldn’t help but to wonder how much money he’d spent as her gaze moved between the varieties of food displayed. It was quite a lot to choose from.

“So, where you going somewhere?” without even thinking about it did she look towards the couch, Kris’ newly washed hoodie was lying there, just waiting to be returned. “Mm, sort of.” it was not necessary for the other boy to know, as she was already more than embarrassed over what’d happened. “Oh, do you want me to give you a ride?” the incident was one Leerang wanted to forget all about, something the girl feared she wouldn’t if Chanyeol followed with. He would probably wonder why Kris’ had lend her a hoodie in the first place and for Leerang to explain was out of the question. “It’s okay, I can go there on my own.” with that being said did the girl continue eating. “Awh, I really wanted to give you a ride though.” Chanyeol pouted in that cute childish way, one that nearly caused her to give in. “Anyhow, I guess some other time then.”

A moment of silence followed as they ate and the girl took her time to fully enjoy the food. Unfortunately though, was the peace short lived and Leerang coughed on a piece of kimbap when the boy spoke, “I heard you visited COEX mall yesterday.” the only person who could possibly know about that was Kai and Kris, the latter one was highly unlikely to say anything though. How was she supposed to act now, when it seemed like Chanyeol knew. “Did you buy a dress for the upcoming party?” her bottom lip trembled and she was uncertain of what to say and do. The boy raised an eyebrow, he was curious to why Leerang looked so devastated, “ah, you didn’t find a dress.” it was the only thing he came up with that could relate to the facial expression she displayed. Leerang however, kept her lips sealed tight. Several thoughts swirled around and the girl dropped her chopsticks when Chanyeol spoke again, “hm, but didn’t Kai say something about a white dress?” he whispered before he shrugged his shoulder, maybe he’d heard wrong.

“Well I hope you fi -.” the boy cut himself short when he glanced over towards Leerang, who was staring straight at him with an expression that took him by surprise. “Leerang what’s going on?” she felt her heart exhilarate all the whilst they stared at each other. “N -n -nothing.” the girl averted her gaze elsewhere, maybe he didn’t know after all. “Leerang.” Chanyeol wanted her attention again, as he sensed that something was indeed wrong. “Y -you should go.” she wouldn’t even give him as much as a glance, not even when the older male told her to look at him. It was humiliating and she’d promised herself to not let anyone know about what’d taken place. Leerang was not even going to tell her parents. Heaving a sigh Chanyeol had no other option but to do as the girl wished. But it was not without feeling bothered. He knew that something must’ve happened in order for her to act like that.

The older boy had precisely left and she was leaning against the door, “I’m sorry but I can’t tell you.” Leerang couldn’t, despite knowing that Kai’s actions were wrong, tell anyone. It would be devastating if people were to find out, as the high society world they were living in was harsh.

Half an hour later was she sitting on the bus. She’d somehow managed to fall asleep due to the lack of sleep. Kai would always pop up in her dreams and the girl would wake up with cold sweat running down her forehead. It was like a constant nightmare, which was repeating itself over and over again. Even there, inside the bus did she dream about him, how goosebumps had formed when he ravished her skin with his lips. Leerang’s eyes snapped open just before the nightmare proceeded further. Her breathing was irregular and the hoodie she’d been holding onto were squeezed against her chest. “It was just a dream.” the thought of being caused her to unconsciously press the piece of clothing even closer towards her, and that as she drifted off to slumberland once again.

It took must’ve taken another thirty minutes before the bus reached the right stop. A light tap on her shoulder along with a voice startled the girl, “excuse me but you need to get off as this is the last stop.” still half asleep Leerang stood up and dragged herself to the door, the small step was one she missed and the girl tumbled forward. “Ouch, ouch, ouch.” the asphalt was merciless and pain shot throughout her whole body as she carefully sat up. Her left palm was bleeding as it’d taken most of the fall, but even her right knee had taken quite the blow. The jeans Leerang was wearing had a huge hole right where her knee was and the girl could see blood and dirty smeared across her skin, “why must all these things happen to me?”

Tears began to prick her eyelids whilst she tried to stand up. The pain was close to unbearable and there was no chance she would be able to head home to her father like that, especially not with the hill and all. Reaching out the girl grabbed onto the hoodie, which she dusted off with much care, “I probably have to wash this again.” hugging it towards her chest she began to limp in the direction of the café. A whimper left her tongue with every step she took and Leerang was more than relieved when the small café sign came into view. Just a few more steps and she would be there.

“Omona, what happened to you?” she’d barely managed to enter before Kris’ mother was by her side. Leerang was in so much pain that she didn’t care when the older woman slipped her arm around the girl’s waist and helped her over to a chair. “I fell.” she clenched her eyes shut when sitting down, the pain in her knee was making it hard for her to sit comfortably. The ahjumma extended her hand and took a hold of the hoodie she’d kept pressed against herself, “let me take this.” with that did Leerang watch as the woman disappeared off, only to a second later see her appear again. “Come, you should get those injuries cleaned.” the woman helped her over to a couch standing in one of the rooms behind the said café. It looked more like their living room actually. “Wait here, I’m going to get a pair of shorts you can change into.” Leerang nodded, baffled by how nicely she was treated by someone she didn’t even know.

“KRIS.” the stairs creaked as the boy descended down, he got mildly surprised upon seeing her, “you again.” she shivered slightly under his cold stare, it was obvious that he didn’t want her there, which was kind of understandable. He already had a girlfriend and it would probably look weird if she was there each and every day. “You truly take the price. Hurting yourself and then coming here. It makes you seem even more desperate.” she felt terrible when he put it like that. Fine, the accident was her fault, but she didn’t show up there to get attention.

“Well, rich people are all the same, aren’t they. Ungrateful, prideful and pay their way through life.” Kris despised such people. Leerang though, was none of that. She’d experienced hardships as well. Everything from having to sleep in a house without heating because her father couldn’t afford to pay the bill to having to walk around in shoes that leaked in water when it was raining. To stamp a whole group of people based on a few was unfair. “Kris didn’t I tell you to look after the café.” his mother appeared out of nowhere and Leerang glanced down to shield away the tears that were slowly falling from her eyes. Not even her mother used such harsh words and that said something about him. “Come on now, leave.” Kris frowned as his mother ordered him away.

“Here you go, I’ll leave you alone so you can change. Just call if you need help.” Leerang wouldn’t meet the woman’s gaze as she was handed a pair of jeans shorts. They looked rather out of date, almost as if she’d saved them from her own teenage days. The girl was hesitant however, to change when there was no door which she could close. “Just do it, what’s the worst that could happen?” her own mind answered that question with several theories, as she carefully slipped out of her jeans. It was immensely hard trying to get them off, especially since the fabric would rub against the wound every other second, “ouch.” she clenched her jaw together in a try to keep herself from screaming aloud.

The shorts she’d been given fit more than okay. The only bad part was that they were really short. “How embarrassing.” they didn’t even reach down to her mid thigh which was rather awkward as Leerang was not used to wearing such revealing clothes. The white dress her mother had bought was an exception though. “What am I supposed to do now?” she placed herself down on the couch. Kris’ mother was bound to come back soon enough. Something she also did, but this time with a first aid kit in her hand. “I’m glad they fit, I was unsure since they’re quite old.” the woman smiled as she settled down on the floor, an action that surprised Leerang. “Don’t worry, I’m not that old.” Kris’ mother laughed, one thing that normally would’ve put the girl at ease. But not that time around, “I’m really sorry for causing so much trouble.”

“No, no, don’t say that. I know Kris can be a bit rash, but don’t bother when he’s like that.” she was undoubtedly jealous at their close relation, and that even though she barely knew them. Leerang wished she was that close to her own mother. Unfortunately had the two of them, ever since they moved to the east, drifted further apart. “I guess he must’ve taken the breakup with Sun Yoo hard.” his mother stared up at her, as if she’d caught herself revealing something she shouldn’t have, “oh god, don’t mind my stupidity.” Leerang tilted her head to the side, seemingly confused to why such a thing had to be kept a secret. “I won’t tell any -AHHH.” pain flooded through her like a wildfire and she cried. The alcohol stung really bad as the older woman cleaned the two wounds, “it’ll be over soon.”

Her tears had dried by the time the plasters were being put on. Kris’ mother did even have to secure the one on her palm with a bandage so that it would keep itself in place. “There, all done.” she stood up quite immediately, it wasn’t like she’d forgotten about what Kris had said. “I -I should probably go now. Thank you.” Leerang bowed before she limped towards the exit. “Wait, your clothes.” coming to a halt the girl spun around, the clothes were something she hadn’t thought about. Mainly because she’d been so preoccupied with other things.

“Kris could you come here.” the said boy appeared right before Leerang and she stepped back when noticing that he was glaring at her. No words were spoken as the two of them waited for the woman to show up again. “Here you go, and Kris take her home.” Leerang felt her heart drop. No, he did most definitely not have to do that. “No.” his answer was definite and for once could she agree with him, “it’s okay. I can go on my own.” it wasn’t like she was handicapped or something. The only thing that would be different was that it would take a little more time getting home. “Can’t you call your limousine to pick you up.” the boy joked, but his face remained hard. “Kris.” his mother sounded upset, “do as I say or I’ll deduct ten thousand from your paycheck.”

Leerang let out an inaudible sigh as she stared at the bike, she had no wish to sit on the luggage carrier. “I can go on my own.” no ing way. His mother always kept her words and he would get ten thousand less the next month if he let the girl go, something Kris couldn’t afford. His eyebrow twitched in annoyance as he extended his hand and grabbed onto her wrist, “get on.” Leerang did as told, but only so that he would let go. “Where do you live?” the boy frowned when remembering how he used to give Sun Yoo a ride home. Such memories were ones he wanted to forget all about. “Just up the hill.” Kris, wanting to get it all over with, began to pedal. The sudden action though, caught Leerang by surprise and she grabbed onto his shirt in fear of falling off. It would’ve been nice if he’d said something first. “Let go of my shirt, you can hold onto the bike instead.” stupid, he doesn’t need to be so mean.  

“Stop.” Kris pressed on the brakes and the bike came to a halt just outside her father’s house. Easing herself off she turned towards the older male, who locked eyes with her, “I never wanted to cause trouble for you.” Leerang felt bad for always being in the way, especially after hearing him complain. Times like those truly proved how weak she was as a person. To stand up for herself was hard after all the negative comments she’ve received throughout her life, and to please others had somehow become more important. “Then don’t appear before me ever again.”