50

Miss. Trouble

 

“Leerang, it would be nice if you at least tried to pay attention.” snapping out of her thoughts she glanced up and met eyes with the teacher, as if to acknowledge the fact that she were trying. It was hard though, after the previous day’s finding. Did Sun Yoo know both of them? And if so, where was she now?

Once again did she enter her own little world of thoughts, one that were briskly interrupted as the person behind kicked her chair. The sudden action caused the girl to let out a low scream, and almost immediately did the whole classroom erupt in laughter. Students all around were laughing at her, a scene she was pretty familiar with. But it hurt equally as much every time. "Keep quiet." the teacher gave her a hard stare, "and Leerang, you are dismissed to the principal's office." Seoyoung let a satisfying smile grow on her lips, enjoying every second of Leerang's misery, "have fun." more laughter could be heard and the girl frowned whilst getting out of her seat. Leerang tried her best with ignoring everyone else as she grabbed her things and left. However, the girl had no intention of doing what she'd been told, and did instead leave the school ground. Kris and his place of work was her destination, as the whole ordeal with Sun Yoo troubled the said girl. One could almost think she was jealous.

He wasn't there though, when she arrived. "Why don't you take a seat, he'll be here soon." without much option Leerang placed herself down at a table next to the window. The café was close to empty, which wasn't too weird considering how it was early afternoon and the lunch was already over. "Here, drink this." Kris' mother appeared holding onto a cup, steam rising from it. "But I didn't order anything." the older woman simply smiled, "it's on me." once again did jealousy bubble up within and Leerang wondered how it would be to have such a supporting and nice mother. Especially as her own weren't much to begin with. "Thank you."

Half an hour passed by without as much as a single sign from Kris. But having to wait wasn’t the most troublesome part, it was more the thoughts that occupied her mind whilst doing so. Leerang could simply not stop thinking about Sun Yoo and the other girl’s relation to Lay and Kris. Even more so as the two males weren’t on friendly terms. “Leerang.” instantly did she glance up, only to meet eyes with Kris’ mother who stood there, right in front of her, “I’m sorry. Something came up that he had to take care of.” well, stuff happened. Plus, she couldn’t expect the older male to be there every time she wanted him to.

“It’s okay.” she bowed goodbye after have given the woman a reassuring smile, “I can come back later.” she turned to leave right as the door to the said café opened, and in walked several customers. Almost immediately did a line form and Leerang came to a halt, she understood why Kris was so needed. However, a slight problem arose due to his absence, and it was with a heavy heart she watched the older woman make her way back to the cashier. If only her own mother saw the hard work normal citizens had to do in order to survive. It wasn’t all about shopping and spending money.

“Leerang,” she was a bit surprised that her name had been called, “would you be nice and give these two plates to the couple over there.” without hesitating did she help out, something that was appreciated by Kris’ mother who continued to fix coffee and pack various desserts into cute little boxes. “Thank you. Please come again.” everyone was greeted by a warm, welcoming smile and Leerang understood why the café was so well received by the customers. But it was obvious she couldn’t take care of it all, as it was impossible to bake and handle everything else on her own, “ahjumma, can I help?” Leerang had expected an instant yes, therefore was she surprised when the woman spoke, “I’m sorry but I can’t afford it.”

“I’ll do it for free.” the girl didn’t need any compensation, especially not since she already had enough money. But the woman wasn’t as certain, “it wouldn’t feel right if I let you do that.” Leerang insisted after seeing how much that was needed to be done, cleaning, taking care of the dishes, baking and managing the cashier, “it’s okay. I don’t have anything else to do.” plus, it would give her some time to think of something else but Sun Yoo. At least until Kris returned.

In the end did Kris’ mother give in and Leerang was given a quick lesson in how to deal with the cash register. And that before she was left to fend the café alone, as the woman went to fix some more cakes and desserts. It would’ve been a lot easier though, if she’d had someone by her side to help if something were to happen, even more so since it was Leerang’s first time. But to complain after having volunteered wasn’t anything the girl wanted. Therefore did she try her very best once she ran into a problem, “I asked for a caffe latte, not a coffee." she wasn't used to it being so fast phased, something that made her even more stressed out, "I'm sorry. I'll redo it." the woman in front handed Leerang the coffee back, the liquid was then poured out in the small sink behind her. A low sound emitted as she began working with the coffee machine again.

It took a minute or two to get everything right, and the girl was amazed when she actually managed to make it right even though she barely had any experience. The whole process was a lot harder than she could've imagined and it was obviously difficult. "Here you go. It should be right now." Leerang had been lucky and she let out a sigh of relief when the older woman left. There was a brief pause in the customer flow and Leerang took the time to clean off the tables. Just before she was finished though, did the bell above the door ring, indicating that someone entered. “Welcome.” the girl greeted right as she glanced up to see who it was, her blood froze a little when she saw Kris’ friends.

“You are here, too.” Tao gave the younger girl a hard stare, he was a bit tired of seeing her everywhere.
Luhan however, smiled, “ignore him, he’s always like that.” Leerang couldn’t help but to feel slightly uneasy,
especially as they were all looking at her. “Do you work here now?” she shook her head, “I’m only helping
out.” the five boys exchanged glances, they were curious to why a girl like Leerang would do such a thing, especially as they were only familiar with rich kids who did nothing to earn what they received.

"Why? So you can demand a huge payment in return?" frustrated by the accusation she glared at the tall, always so blunt, male, "I'm doing it for free. I don't want any money." Tao was taken aback for a second, he hadn't seen that coming. But he wasn't completely done. "There has to be a catch, there's always one." keeping herself somewhat calm she brushed past them, the girl weren't going to let any of them get to her, "not this time around." Tao was still not convinced, and that even though his friends were, "like I'll believe that. You're just going to run away, exactly like Sun Yoo did." Leerang tensed and her stomach turned. Something with the way he said it caused her curiosity to turn into doubt and fear. What was that girl's relation to Lay and Kris?

The café was empty, with the exception for the five males, therefore did she, against better judgement, speak, “why are you always mentioning her, Sun Yoo?” Luhan was the first one to react, “it’s nothing.” his words were fast phased and he seemed slightly nervous. He wasn’t telling the truth, she understood that by the way they acted. But decided to simply let it go, at least for the time being until Kris returned. He, if anyone would be able to tell her the truth. “Okay.” Leerang averted her gaze, a bit disappointed, before she headed back to the cash register. “Did you have to do that?” Luhan whispered, he was not the slightest pleased about what Tao had done. “Yes. I don’t want to see hyung getting hurt again.” the older of the two sighed, “I know. But its Kris’ life, so let him decide what he wants.” Suho who’d overheard the conversation agreed with Luhan, “hyung’s right. Kris is old enough to take care of himself.” Tao frowned -gave the girl a quick glance -and then walked out of there.

Leerang wasn’t particularly surprised about Tao leaving, the two of them weren’t exactly the best of friends. “We should probably leave, too.” Luhan gave her a weak smile, he’d had the exact same feelings about Leerang in the beginning, about not wanting her to get near Kris. But it’d changed the more he’d gotten to know about her. “Right. If you see Kris, could you tell him that I need to talk to him.” the girl nodded even though she weren’t certain whether she would meet him or not.

The day passed on rather quickly once they’d left and Leerang found it both stressful and fun. Meeting new people in an environment like that was different from what she was used to. But the girl liked it, even more so since she felt she was of importance, because Leerang barely experienced that with her mother. The older woman were bad at giving compliments when she’d done something good. Instead did her mother only pay attention to the negative stuff. On the contrary though, did the constant running around make her incredibly tired and by the end of the day did she have trouble staying awake.

“Why don’t you go and rest while I close up.” Kris’ mother offered with a bright, but tired, smile. “Are you sure?” the girl watched as the woman nodded, “wait there and I’ll bring you something to eat.” only then did Leerang realize she hadn’t eaten anything but breakfast, which was over twelve hours ago. “Thank you.” the conversation ended and the girl made her way over to the living room and the couch, the place looked exactly like it’d done the previous time she’d been there and it was with a satisfying heart she sat down. It didn’t take many minutes however, before she fell asleep, lying down and with her head resting against the armrest. And that was also how Kris’ mother found her. “Leerang?” the girl’s eyes fluttered open to the sound of her name being called, and it took all of her willpower to sit up. “You shouldn’t sleep there, it’ll hurt your back.” she yawned and then spoke, “I should probably get home.” it was already late and she had school the next day. “Wait here and I’ll get Kris.” Leerang’s eyes widened, had he come back?

She was wide awake by the time Kris stepped inside the living room, his eyes caught hers and she felt that familiar flutter within. “I heard you ditched school.” how could he know that? It wasn’t like she’d told anyone. “Sort of.” Leerang was nervous, a feeling she hadn’t experienced when around him before. But she was somewhat scared and afraid about his relation to Sun Yoo. The girl wanted to know about her, but also not. It was definitely a dilemma. The train of thoughts were interrupted by Kris, who spoke, “you sort of ditched school?” a smile spread on his lips, “why?” Leerang stood up in haste, her pulse raced for some reason and all she wanted was to get out of there. Therefore did she, in a hurried manner, rush past him. It was weird, how she was so bothered by the possibilities of Kris together with that Sun Yoo girl. Her heart did actually hurt at the thought of him being with a girl, something that took her by great surprise, especially as she was supposed to like Lay.

She did like Lay, right?

Kris was taken aback for a second, he had slight trouble understand what’d happened. But he chased after the younger girl nonetheless, as he felt an unexplainable need to know why she’d suddenly left like that. “Leerang,” he grasped onto her arm, thus causing the girl to come to a halt. “What’s going on?” it was unusual to see her acting in such a way. “It’s nothing.” Kris didn’t believe it. However, he couldn’t force her into telling him. “I need to go.” Leerang avoided looking at the older male, who reluctantly let go of her. “Just... don’t do anything stupid.” the girl remained silent and Kris watched as she headed off. Something was definitely wrong.