56

Miss. Trouble

 

A cough woke her up from her slumber and Leerang her dry lips whilst fluttering her eyelids open. Everyone of Kris' friends stood there, glancing at either her or Kris, who was deep asleep in the hospital bed. "What happened to him? Why is he in the hospital? What's wrong with his arm?" Tao shot several questions at her. Though, the first one could she not answer, because she herself didn't know. Kris hadn't told her anything before passing out. "Tao, relax." Chen placed a hand on his friend's shoulder, "you know him, he'll be up in no time." Leerang felt a tug in her heart as she looked over at Kris. He wasn't as pale anymore, but it was still weird seeing him so… so vulnerable. The older male acted so tough and I-can-do-this-on-my-own most of the time. But even he needed help once in awhile.

"Leerang what happened to your arm?" Luhan was by her side, staring at the cast her arm and hand was wrapped in. The fall to the ground and Kris' weight on top of that had been enough for one of the bones in her arm to snap in half. "Nothing, just an accident." it wasn't necessary to mention what'd really taken place. "Oh. You seem to really attract injuries." he had no idea, "heh, that's sort of the only thing I attract." a dry laugh slipped from her tongue, to which Luhan pursed his lips together, "not true. I know someone who's been completely spellbound by you." her cheeks flushed. She knew he was talking about Kris. "Hyung. I thought you wouldn't say anything." Suho interrupted the conversation with words that surprised Leerang, "what?" something was off, and the girl wanted to know why they were keeping secrets from her. She weren't sure she had a right to ask for the truth though, but Leerang was willing to try, "tell me. Please." taking notice how they glanced at one another she spoke again, "never mind, it doesn't matter." deep down she knew it was a big deal. Because Leerang had questions she wanted answers to. "I'm going to check up on my mother so I'll see you later." getting to know Kris was important, especially as she barely knew anything about him. His past was totally blank.

A low click sounded, indicating that the door had closed, before she made her way towards the elevators. "Wait up." the girl froze in her tracks when she recognized the voice as Luhan's, who walked up and placed himself in front of her, "I need to talk to you." she looked up at him, curious. "I don't really want the other's to hear." his words sparked an ever greater interest, and the fact that he was going to talk about Kris was something she'd already figured out. "Let's talk somewhere else." Luhan wandered off before she was given a chance to say anything, which gave her no option but to head after him, "where are we going?" he sent her a small smile, "someplace where we can chat in private." what in the world was so secret that no one else could hear?

It took a few minutes before they found a place to sit. The location was close to empty and there were barely any activity around them. "So. Do you mind telling me now?" she watched as his smile was replaced by a frown, "you can't tell anyone what I'm going to say, okay." he looked up, their gazes locked for a brief second before she nodded, "I won't." it had to be terrible. Whatever it was. "I don't know how much Kris had told you about himself and his past." close to nothing. How could he when they'd barely had any serious conversations. There was always other stuff that interrupted and got in the way. It wasn't just because of him though, Leerang, too, played a huge part in the problem. "Not much." she heard him sigh, but he didn't seem surprised, "I guess it's still difficult for him." Luhan shifted in his seat, a bit unsure of how to start. To blurt everything out wouldn't end well. "What is?" Kris' whole life was a complete mystery to the said girl and she needed to know more.

"I'm going to say this first. We all had a hard time getting to know him." she'd not seen that coming. Leerang thought they'd known each other pretty much their whole lives. "He's been through hardships far beyond any of us.” why hadn’t anyone told her before? But then she remembered. How he had difficulties trusting people. That she’d befriended Lay and Chanyeol seemed to have played a part, too. “Hardships?” several thoughts swirled around, it was unsettling to think about what he could’ve been through. "You already know about Sun Yoo." it was more a statement than a question and she glanced down at her hands, uncertain whether it would be alright to have this conversation with Luhan. "Isn't he going to be mad?" was Kris even okay with it? What if he didn't want her to know anything. "I bet he had a reason for not telling me."

Luhan sighed yet again, "it's not because he doesn't trust you." she looked up at him, curious to what the reason could be. "It's because he's afraid you'll leave." she drew in a deep breath, her pulse suddenly racing. What could be so horrifying that Kris thought she would abandon him? It wasn't like he'd murdered someone. Right? "I wouldn't, I'm not like that. How could he even believe I'd do so?" the girl couldn't hide the disappointment. Did he truly think so low of her? "I know, and I think he's begun to understand that as well." why had it taken so long? It's already been six months and he hadn't uttered a single word about his past.

"Don't blame him for this." Leerang blinked, slightly taken aback, "it's that girl, isn't it?" her question was met with a mix of shock and relief. "Sun Yoo, she did something." trying to grasp the situation she blurted out everything in her mind. But to have hit jackpot so soon surprised the said girl, and Luhan snorted as memories of the past came rushing back, "something. She practically ruined him." that, if anything, was hard to believe. "Ruined him? You mean she broke up with him?" wasn't that pretty normal, teenagers falling in love and then breaking up. It was a part of youth. "Yes, but the problem wasn't that. It was what she did after the break-up." Leerang didn't really understand. What Sun Yoo did had nothing to do with Kris once they'd broken up, so why had he been so upset?  

Luhan hesitated. What he'd just said was nothing in comparison to everything he had left to say and it made him uneasy, especially since he knew how Leerang was friends with Lay. "You can't tell anyone what I'm about to say. Not your family, not your friends. The only person you can speak to is Kris." the girl felt her stomach constrict and she was preparing to run. It had to be something horrible. "You have to promise" Luhan knew how much he was risking, but it was nonetheless important that Leerang got to know. "Okay, I promise. No, wait. I don't know." whatever it was it scared her to a point where she didn't know what to do. "Maybe we should stop." the girl was too afraid, "Kris was right. We're from two different worlds and he obviously deserve someone else." she stood up in haste, ready to leave, when Luhan spoke, "you are wrong. The whole two-different-worlds thing is just an excuse. Because if you love someone, you make it work." Leerang's heart stopped for a brief second before she turned around to face the older male, "what did you say?" she must've heard wrong. "Kris is in love with you." Luhan watched as the girl sat down, her face blank and unreadable.

His tender touch. His soft, warm lips against hers.

All Leerang could think about was the kiss and she blushed.

Luhan noticed her cheeks, how they flushed pink, "something happened at the masquerade. Didn't it?" he decided to try even though he was uncertain. The fact that she flushed an even brighter shade of pink only confirmed his thoughts. "Fine. I promise I won't tell anyone." not wanting anyone to know about the kiss she agreed, thus changing the subject. "You sure?" Leerang nodded, what was the worst thing that could happen? Besides, it distracted him from the whole masquerade ordeal. "Okay." Luhan drew in a deep breath, "Sun Yoo ended up with someone else the same day. Well, at the time we didn't know she'd been cheating on Kris. Anyhow, the person she got together with is the son of someone he’s despised his whole life.” her heart drummed faster again, especially as she remember the picture Lay had, with him and Sun Yoo. “Lay.” Luhan stared at the younger girl, astonished. He’d never seen that coming, “h -how?”

“He has a picture in his room.” her voice was small, almost inaudible as she tried to understand why Kris could hate Lay’s father. It didn’t make any sense whatsoever. They weren’t from the same parts of Seoul and their lives couldn’t be more different. “Has he touched you?” Leerang eyes him, her gaze suddenly dark with anger, “what does that have anything to do with this?” Luhan sighed for the upteenth time, “because Lay is not the good guy you think he is.” all air disappeared and it felt like someone had punched her in the stomach. “Do you want to know why Sun Yoo broke up with Kris? It was because of Lay. He used his sweet talk to lure her in. He only wanted someone to play with because that’s how he is.” Leerang felt her heart sink, “why are you telling me this?” the male continued, ignoring her question for awhile, “it didn’t take long before Sun Yoo became miserable. Staying by Lay’s side was obviously not as she’d imagined, and she tried to approach Kris, but he wouldn’t hear her out. He ignored her, which was understandable after being heartbroken. Later that night though, was Sun Yoo found dead. She’d taken her own life because she couldn’t bear living like that.” Leerang was at loss of words. “Do you understand now? The only thing Lay want is someone to fool around with. Not a girlfriend.” the girl was starting to regret it. She should’ve just told him about the kiss. But then again, what if Luhan was right. What if Lay wasn’t sincere.

She was close to tears now.