28

Miss. Trouble

 

Leerang woke up in the late afternoon. In difference to many other days did she feel happy and energized. The Girls’ Generation concert played a huge role in that, but she believed that Kris did, too. There was something with him which she couldn’t exactly put a finger on. He was harder to read than anyone else she knew. It made the girl wonder whether she’d misjudged him, especially since he seemed to care a lot about his mother and friends. His tall frame and intimidating gaze though, made him a bit frightening. But to have Kris as a friend would probably not be too bad.

She headed downstairs after have showered and dressed. The girl had nothing planned for the day and decided to just spend it at home, a wish that was shattered the second she stepped into the kitchen and caught the attention of her mother, “great, you’re finally awake. I wondered if I would need to send one of the maids to wake you up.” Leerang must’ve looked dumbfounded, something she also felt, “is there anything special today?” as far as she knew there was nothing. Not that she’d been told at least.

“We have a reservation down at the Samwon Garden in a few hours.” the girl could feel her heartbeat increase at the word ‘we’. Leerang didn’t want to imagine what kind of people her mother had decided to invite to dinner, especially if the woman wanted her to come along. It bothered her, the thought of having to sit through a whole meal with complete strangers. “Okay.” she didn’t know what else to say. There was no idea to obey, not after everything that’d taken place.

“I’ve bought some new clothes for you.” her mother handed her a bag with the words ‘Marc Jacob’ written on it. “It’s a dress I want you to wear today,” of course, she should’ve understood that, “and I placed the new high heels in the hall.” the girl wanted to disobey for a single moment, especially when it came to the heels. They were probably ones she would have trouble walking in. “Right, your stepfather is coming home so he’ll be joining us as well.” Leerang was relieved. It might’ve sounded like no big deal, but it was, “that’s good.” at least she would have someone to talk to. “We’ll be leaving at seven so you better be ready by then.” her mood dropped a little after having caught sight of the time, it was still two and a half hour left until then. “I’ll be in my room.” Leerang disappeared upstairs as she decided to kill some time on the internet. Hair and makeup could she fix later.

Adrenaline pumped through her veins as memories from the previous day invaded the girl. The concert was unforgettable, but in some way or another had Kris stolen a lot of the spotlight in those memories as well. He’d revealed something Leerang couldn’t get off her mind. How she wasn’t allowed to tell anyone about his late night job. His mother didn’t know anything, it was the only conclusion she’d come up with. Well, at least one that made sense. On the contrary though, did Leerang not really understand why he would keep such a thing hidden. What if he got into an accident and she had no idea of where he was. “Stupid boy.” the girl shook her head in a disapproving manner.

The time ticked on and before she knew it had the clock hit half past six, something that gave Leerang half an hour to get ready. “You’re such a distraction.” her sentence was directed to the nine girls displayed on her laptop. She’d been watching music videos and interviews for the past two hours, and that without even recognizing what time it was. “Where did I put the bag?” Leerang asked herself all the whilst she ran around like a fool, trying to find the said object. Problems seemed to arise each and every time there was something important she had to attend. Dresses disappearing, high heels vanishing and her personal favorite; the car breaking down.

There was a knock on the door just as she’d managed to get the dress on, “yes?” Leerang didn’t exactly have time to chat as she still needed to get her hair and makeup fixed. “I only wanted to tell you that your mother and I will be waiting downstairs.” a quick glance on the clock and the girl found herself slowly freaking out, “okay, I’ll be there soon.” she had to pick up her phase if she was going to be ready by seven pm.

It would be safe to say that her mother wasn’t the slightest pleased when she, ten minutes late, practically ran down the stairs. “You’re late.” pointing out the obvious there, “I know.” the girl avoided her mother’s stare, one that was burning into Leerang’s back as she was putting the heels on. “Honey, there’s no reason to be upset over such a small matter.” she couldn’t agree more. In fact, Leerang had a hard time understanding why the older woman was working herself up for nothing, especially now when it wasn’t good for the baby. “Anyhow, take your purse and we’ll be going.”

Leerang got the shock of her life the second she entered the restaurant and saw Lay with his parents. The older male was dressed up and his hair was tousled in a way that made her heart flutter. She liked him, it was obvious. “What are you doing here?” her question was blunt and very straightforward. In other terms, not like her. Lay though, didn’t seem offended as he let out a low laugh, one which eased the anxiousness she felt within. “I’ll take that as your mother hasn’t told you.” the older woman hadn’t mentioned him at all. “Leerang it’s nice to see you again.” her little conversation with Lay was interrupted by his parents whom she greeted with a bow and smile, “it’s nice to see you, too.”  

The second shock arrived the moment it became known who their personal waiter was. “Kris.” it was a surprise seeing him there. Lay was taken aback as well, he would’ve never expected the other male to slave around as a waiter. “You work here now?” Leerang was just as curious to know the answer as Lay, who’d decided to play a little game with Kris. “Here, I’ll show you your table.” the older male lead the way, thus ignoring the idiotic question. It was weird though, how he found himself frustrated at the sight of Leerang together with the . Kris was rather certain however, that it had something to do with Sun Yoo and the stuff he’d caused her. No one should have to go through the things she’d done, definitely not Leerang who had no idea of what risks she was putting herself up for.

“You got some sauce -.” Lay extended his hand before he, in a gentle manner, wiped away the sauce with his napkin. And that all the whilst he glanced over at Kris, who was staring right back at him. Lay was going to do anything to make sure the older male was jealous. “Look at that, aren’t they cute together.” Leerang’s cheeks flushed an even deeper shade of red when hearing her mother’s words. “M -mom.” her gaze wandered away, something the girl didn’t realize until she accidentally locked eyes with Kris.

The action however, was one both Lay and her mother saw. None of them liked it, especially not Leerang’s mother who couldn’t understand why her daughter would even look at such a lowlife person. “Leerang.” the girl turned to look at the older woman, waiting for some sort of explanation to why she’d uttered her name, “do you want anything?” shaking her head Leerang voiced out a low no. “Then you should probably stop staring at the waiter like you need something.” huh, she hadn’t been staring at him. It was just -. Well, Leerang didn’t know.

“I need to use the bathroom.” she had to get away, Leerang couldn’t stand it. Not after having seen the look of despise her mother gave Kris. It was embarrassing to have a mother who judged others by where they worked and how much money they earned. “Well, I guess you’re needed after all.” The male played it cool, he would never let such a person get to him. “Miss.” Leerang felt a smile tug on the corner of her lips as she stood up. It sounded weird, but also nice to hear Kris speak in a well-mannered way. “I’ll be right back.” Lay cursed under his breath the second he was left alone with his and Leerang’s parents, “stupid girl, why must you make it so damn hard?”

“I’m sorry, my mother has som -.” the girl was abruptly cut short, “I don’t care.” Kris wasn’t interested to hear it. “Still, I’m sorry.” Leerang had come to a halt, she was ashamed for what her mother had said and done. “I don’t care the slightest of what you people think of me.” he knew deep down inside that it was all bull. Kris cared. More than he wanted to. But more significantly, what Leerang thought had suddenly become important, too.