55

Miss. Trouble

 

The heavy rain pattered against the window pane and Leerang sighed for the umpteenth time. She couldn't fall asleep. Not when the kiss was all she could think about. There was a familiar tug in her heart when she remembered how warm his lips had felt against her own. Embarrassed by her own thoughts she buried her face in the pillow. Having her heart race in such a way was a strange feeling. But did he like her for real or was the kiss something that happened in the heat of the moment? The girl wasn't certain if it would help knowing, because she was still hesitant. It was far from simple, especially when so many people expected things from her. That mother of hers would probably cause huge problems if she were to choose Kris. But then again, it was her life.

Leerang slipped out of bed after have given the clock on the nightstand a hasty look. There was no point in lying in bed anymore, not when she'd tried to fall asleep for the past three hours. Heading for the kitchen she stopped by her father's bedroom, "I wish you were here right now." it pained her to think about the amount of time he had to spend in jail. "If you'd just come to me instead." they weren't family for nothing, and she would've helped if he'd asked. Heavyhearted the girl shut the door close. Leerang would take care of his room later, when it was not in the middle of the night.

Warm milk with honey wasn't really her thing, so she settled with a cup of hot cocoa instead. One she drank in the living room whilst watching some late night TV. The show was far from entertaining and the girl ended up thinking about the previous day's events, and unconsciously did her hand travel up to her lips. Her body tingled as she remembered the kiss. But it was still so surreal and the several unanswered questions didn't ease her mind. There were too many things that didn't make sense and she needed answers. Why Kris and Lay were so hostile against one another, where Sun Yoo fit in all the mess. But most importantly, who did she like?

Her cellphone rang in the far distant and she hurried to stand, eager to know why someone was calling in the middle of the night. The person who wanted to get a hold of her was none other than her stepfather, "hello?" she had a slight idea of why he was calling, but weren't completely sure. "Your mother is in labor." her pulse raced and she felt nervous all of a sudden. The day when she no longer would be an only child had arrived and the nine months of preparation did suddenly feel too short. "Leerang are you there?" he seemed stressed, which was understandable, "Yeah. Where is she?" the girl glanced at the clock once more whilst trying to remember when the bus went, as they didn't go as often during the night. "She's in the hospital right now. Do you want me to send someone to pick you up?" Leerang replied without hesitating, "yes, please." she wanted to be there. The woman was still her mother, someone whom she didn't always got along with but loved nonetheless. "Then I'll send someone. It might take twenty minutes or so though." to wait wasn't a problem as she had some things to take care of before she could leave. Such a changing clothes, brush her teeth and making sure that everything was locked.  

It took her around ten minutes to get all that done, so it left her with ten minutes to head down to the bus station where she would be picked up. The night was awfully cold and small clouds of air became visible every time Leerang took a new breath. Winter didn't appeal to the said girl at all and she shivered as a wind blew by, "maybe Jungah would want to go somewhere during the Christmas break, somewhere warm." momentarily distracted by her own thoughts she almost ran into a pole. However, a hand pulling at the back of her jacket had prevented the girl from doing so.

"You wouldn't want to do that again." Leerang recognized the voice and spun around, thus coming face to face with Luhan. The dog he had with him came as a surprise though, and she backed away, eyes wide in fright. "No need to be scared. He would never hurt anyone." the dog its mouth, its tail swaying side-to-side in excitement. "He looks kind of scary." Luhan laughed wholeheartedly, his pearly whites showing as he did. "He can be a bit intimidating. But then again, you should never judge a book by its cover." a shy smile grew on her lips because she understood his reference was directed at her. How fast she'd been to judge Kris without actually knowing him. "I know."

"Right. Why are you here? Shouldn't you be asleep?" he couldn't have known about the kiss. Well, maybe he did. Not that it mattered now. "I'm going to the hospital. My mom is in labor." she'd almost forgotten about the car that was coming to fetch her, "Actually, I think I really need to hurry." the older male looked surprised, "wow." yeah, wow. A word that definitely fit the situation. "Can I ask you something before you go?" it was Leerang's turn to be taken aback, "s -sure." she could spare a minute, but that was all. "I bet you already know that Kris went to that masquerade your school held last night." she nodded, if not slightly hesitant. "Well. I was wondering whether something happened?" did he not know? Or did he, but wanted to hear it from her? "Actually, the reason why I'm asking is because he seemed somewhat troubled when he came back." an unsettling feeling grew within the said girl. Was Kris regretting the kiss? "I -I don't know. I need to go." Leerang felt those familiar tears build up as she hurried down the street, in the direction of the road.

The ride to the hospital was filled with doubt. She'd been stupid to think that he could like her. Really, why would he choose her when girls were lining up to be his girlfriend. Girls who were a lot prettier and smarter. Someone who wouldn't embarrass him in public. "Are you alright?" Leerang pressed her cheek to the cold window, thus making it impossible for the man to see her face. "Yeah." never had she felt such intense emotions and it scared her. Terrified her to be exact.

Her stepfather stood by the entrance when the car pulled up and she stepped out to greet him, "hi." a smile played on his lips, "I'm glad you came. Your mother will be very happy to see you." Leerang wasn't as certain, but followed after him inside. "Is everything proceeding as it should?" she had no idea how these things worked, something that made the said girl even more nervous. The lack of information was a good thing though, because the ordeal distracted her from all those other thoughts. "You shouldn't be worried. Everything is fine." the elevator made a low sound right before the doors slid open. "She's in room 351." the short walk was nerve-racking and Leerang felt her eyes widen once she stepped inside and saw the pain her mother was in. "Honey. Leerang is here now." the lump in grew, it made her unable to speak as she took in the sight. Pearls of sweat, pale skin and tear-filled eyes. Her mother was far from the woman she knew, and if she didn't know better she would've thought her mother was about to die. It was painful to watch. "I need to get some air." she left before anyone could say something.

Rushing down the staircase Leerang almost tripped, luckily did she managed to stay on her feet. The chilly weather welcomed her once more as she exited the building and stepped out on the street. "I never want kids." seeing her mother in so much pain discouraged the said girl from wanting any, "I can't understand how anyone would want to go through that." she shuddered before turning her attention to the sky above. No stars were visible but she continued to search for one nonetheless. "I wonder what Kris is doing." without realizing it did she put her index finger to her lips, just like she'd done earlier. "Oh my god, what is wrong with me." she shook every thought about him away right before her cell phone vibrated. A new text message. It was from her stepfather, he wanted to know if everything was okay, which it was until she saw a familiar person stagger towards the entrance. The phone was violent shoved back down in her pocket.

"Kris!" he looked pale and exactly like her mother was cold sweat running down his face. "What happened to you?" she took notice of his left arm and how it was wrapped in some sort of jacket. Leerang could also see traces of blood on the fabric. "CAN SOMEONE HELP!" her heart froze in complete shock and terror the moment his body went limp. His weight was too much for the girl and the two of them tipped to the side just before they fell to the ground. Pain shot throughout even though he hadn't landed on top of her like Chanyeol had done, and she understood why when she glanced at her own arm, which was lying half under Kris. "HELP! PLEASE!"