49

Miss. Trouble

 

Leerang awoke with a yawn, and even though she was still tired the girl had to get up. She had things that needed to be taken care of, such as buying a new cell phone and going through the bills. Leerang was used to paying the rent and knew exactly what to do, therefore did she head down to the landlord, who lived further down the hill, after she’d showered and dressed. The old man wouldn’t open the door though, and Leerang tilted her head to the side, curious to where he was. It was unusual for the girl, and she decided to knock again, in case he hadn’t heard the first time. But still nothing. “I guess I’ll have to come back later.” Leerang gave the house one last glance before she left for the bus stop and the mall.

“I’m sorry but your card has been blocked.” she blinked, stunned by the information. “Blocked?” her mother was the only person who could block the card, with an exception for her stepfather, but he wouldn’t do it without telling Leerang. “I’m sorry.” the piece of plastic was handed back to her, “do you have another card or cash?” immediately did she shake her head, “I don’t.” having no other option Leerang would have to wait a little longer for the new phone. In the meantime though, was she going to pay her mother a visit, as the girl wanted to know the reason to why the older woman decided to pull such a stunt. It wasn’t fair anymore, and it’d come to a point where Leerang wanted to break away and be free. But it would probably come with a price, one the girl wouldn’t be able to afford. Not without a job. Therefore was it with much disappointment and slight frustration that she took the next bus to her mother’s house.

The older woman was home, she noticed that quite instantly the moment she entered, because her mother was talking to someone. And all the courage Leerang had mustered up before stepping inside vanished into thin air when she heard footsteps nearing. But the person she’d expected wasn’t the one who came into view. “W -what are you doing here?” seeing Lay there arrived as a shock, even more so since Leerang had no idea why he would visit her mother. “Your mother wanted to talk about the prom, so I came.” a sense of irritation erupted within and she brushed past him, only to come to a stop when his hand latched onto her arm, “do you know how worried I was?” Lay spoke and watched as Leerang turned to face him, “I tried calling you several times.” she could barely believe her ears. Not when it was so unusual to hear his real thoughts. “Really?” the girl’s cheeks flushed and she averted her gaze as he pulled her closer, “why didn’t you pick up?” however, Leerang’s mother appeared before she was given the chance to explain what’d taken place, and Lay pulled away. “You’re here.” awkward silence filled the air as a result of her mother’s sudden appearance, and the male could easily see how they needed to talk and spoke, “maybe I should leave.”

“Actually, there’s still some things I need to talk about, with the both of you. So I’d rather want you to stay.” Lay nodded, not really knowing what else to say or do. “You can just wait in the living room whilst I speak to Leerang.” instead of feeling intimidated by the hard stare she was given the girl lashed out, “why did you block my card?” being around Kris had certainly made some changes within and Leerang was not as afraid anymore. “Watch your language.” it was a good thing Lay was still there, because it gave her some advantage, especially since her mother didn’t want anyone to know how strained their family relation were.

“My credit card, why did you block it?” she tried a second time, only to be met with the same glare, “do we have to take this now?” one could literally see the steam rising from the older woman’s head, something that normally would have discouraged Leerang from continuing, but not this time, “yes.” there had to be a reason and she was not going to leave without one. “I think you know very well why.” no, she didn’t. Mainly because there were several things that could’ve lead to the current situation, with the card being useless, “it’s because of the birthday party, isn’t it?” she’d expected an instant reply, that it was because of that, but instead were she met with something completely else, “one would’ve thought so, but no.” there was a brief pause and Leerang’s eyes widened in terror as the older woman continued, “that waiter, didn’t I forbid you to see him.” the whole ordeal was about Kris. Great.

“I like him.” it looked like the sky had fallen down because her mother’s eyes flashed in anger, “is he forcing you to do this?” Leerang blinked, overwhelmed by the accusation. “W -what. No.” Kris wasn’t like that, he would never force her into something. “Then, why are you still acting like this? He’s a poor, low life person who doesn’t suit you at all.” enough was enough, she weren’t going to stand there and listen to the crap her mother was spewing. “You don’t even know him.” the girl raised her voice, the fact that her mother was sixth months pregnant wasn’t anything that crossed her mind, “he’s my friend and you can’t prevent me from meeting him.” friends were hard to come by and she’d actually managed to find one in him, therefore would she not let the subject slip so easily. “I’m your mother.” wow, so she was finally starting to take the role as a mother seriously, “for once, I don’t care.”

“Is everything alright?” her stepfather made himself known to the two and Leerang glanced at her mother before looking back at the male, “no.” almost immediately did the older woman speak, “don’t mind her, she’s just a bit worried about University.” Leerang wanted to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all, worried about University, right. “Really, so you’ve sent in the application to Seoul National University?” the previous conversation between Leerang and her mother had caused anger and frustration to build up within, and it was with a satisfied feeling she replied, “I’ve only sent in one application, but not to SNU.” a sense of relief swept over the girl, and she didn’t even feel bad or scared when her mother snarled, “I can’t believe you. I directly told you to send one in. And yet you fail with such a simple task.” she was starting to understand more and more, how she couldn’t continue to live like that. “Maybe you should’ve started to act as a mother a little earlier, because I have never intended to enroll at SNU. It was only you who wanted that. Not me.”

Her gaze moved from the older woman to her stepfather after he’d asked which University she had applied to, “Korean National University of Arts.” Leerang’s mother disapproved in an instant, there was no chance she would let her daughter attend such a place, “not going to happen.” words were exchanged and the older woman got more furious with each passing second. “It’s my life. Not yours.” her tone was harsh and she frowned, the image of being a well-behaved daughter were slowly being turned to shreds. "I'm not going to tolerate this." a shiver ran down her spine, Leerang knew how much trouble her mother could cause and she feared what was to come. "Honey, you shouldn't work yourself up so much. It's not good for the baby." the older woman left a minute or so later, as a result of her stepfather's words.

"So, do you mind telling me what the real problem is?" he'd noticed after all, that her mother had told a white lie. "She blocked my credit card, and I really need to buy a cell phone because I accidentally dropped my previous one." Leerang didn't included that she also needed money to pay her father's rent. "Hm, did she explain why?" there was no reason in hiding anything from her step father, therefore did she tell him about Kris and what the older woman thought about him. "I see. Well, I'll call the bank now but it might take a day or two before the card works again. In the meantime, if there's anything you need just tell me, okay." Leerang nodded, appreciating everything he did for her, "thank you."

A few moments later, after the man had disappeared off to his office, did she remember Lay and that he was still seated in the living room. Hurrying over she felt her heart race, what if he'd heard the whole conversation. It didn't seem so though, because he was seated in an armchair, flipping through some book he'd retrieved from the shelf. The scene was different, beautiful in a way. "I thought your mother wanted to talk." Lay spoke as he looked up, the anger and disappointment was something he had to hide so she wouldn't know he'd heard it all, how they'd talked about Kris. "No, she said it wasn't that important anymore, and that you already knew most of the stuff." Leerang lied. "Yeah, but none of you know how I'm going to be dressed." right, she'd totally forgotten about the clothes and the fact that they needed to match, "then…" Lay interrupted before she got the chance to finish, "why don't you come to my house. It's better if you see it in person."

And so she did. Only to be shocked as Lay showed her the costume he was going to wear. "It's supposed to be a 'prince' costume." Leerang could only guess how many girls would be swooning over him when he entered the masquerade. "Oh." the fabric looked expensive and it wouldn't surprise the girl if he'd had it personally made especially for him. "So you'll be my princess at the party." she felt her heart jump at the word princess, the word sounded so nice coming from him. "Mm." Leerang answered in a happy manner, the bad thoughts her mother had caused vanishing. The girl weren't going to let such a thing make her upset, not when she was attending the masquerade together with Lay.

"Could you wait." it was more a statement than a question, not that it mattered because Leerang didn't mind staying. "I'll be right back." with the costume in his hands did the older male disappear off and she was left alone in his bedroom, a place she’d been into once before. “I hope he won’t mind that I look around.” her curiosity had taken a toll on the girl and she couldn’t help herself, as the room was filled with various objects. His collection of pictures attracted her the most and she let her gaze wander between the many photos, one of them sparked her interest almost immediately. Something had to be wrong, terribly wrong, because why did Lay have a picture of him, holding his arms around Sun Yoo, in his collection? Hadn’t she been Kris’ girlfriend?
 
~~
 
ANNOUNCEMENT
 
I’m going to retire as a fanfic writer once I’m done with Miss. Trouble. This is probably sudden. But I’ve thought about it quite a lot recently, especially since I’ve been writing fanfics for three and a half years and it’s come to a point where I need to focus on other things in life. I’m really sorry to all my readers, but the unfinished fanfics I haven’t finished will be deleted in a near future.

I really hope you guys can understand my decision OTL