46

Miss. Trouble

 

For some reason had her mother insisted on throwing a birthday party to celebrate that Leerang had turned eighteen, something which meant that the house was filled with people, both familiar and unfamiliar ones. Even her stepfather had returned from overseas just to be there. But the happiness she should’ve felt weren’t present and the girl escaped up to her room pretty soon, as Leerang couldn’t act as if everything was okay. It wasn’t. Not when her father had been sentenced to six years in prison. Her mother though, didn’t care the slightest about what’d happened and had simply stated that he needed to pay for the consequences of what he had done. Her father had apparently stolen quite the amount of money from some high society person, money he’d then spent on alcohol and other unnecessary things. It was unfortunate that he'd gone that far. But it was already too late now and Leerang could do nothing but accept the fact that he would be imprisoned for the next coming years.

A knock sounded and the girl drew in a deep breath, as if to calm herself before she spoke, “yes?” an overwhelming sense of relief washed over her when the other person spoke and it became known that it was Chanyeol and not someone else, “can I come in?” Leerang granted his request as she unlocked the bedroom door and stepped back to watch how it opened, thus giving the older male the chance to enter. That familiar smile of his was evident upon his lips and Leerang felt slightly happier by the sight of him. “Long time no see.” the girl nodded, it’d been far too long since they’d last seen each other and it was safe to say that she’d missed Chanyeol.

"I'm sorry… about your father." her gaze dropped to the floor, it was a bit embarrassing that so many people seemed to know, even more as she was already seen as a plague. "No worries." Leerang glanced up to give him a reassuring smile, one that was met with a frown from Chanyeol's side, as he could see the devastation in the younger girl's eyes, "if you are alright then why aren't you downstairs celebrating with everyone else?" once again had he caught her in the middle of her own misery, and there was nothing she could do to hide that fact. "You can't do anything about your father." he was right, but still. Leerang was the only one who cared about him and to simply move on without doing anything seemed like betrayal. "Plus, I don't think he would be happy seeing you like this." why was he still so nice to her? She'd turned him down and yet he remained by her side.

“But it hurts and my mother is not making it any better by throwing a birthday party.” the older woman knew how important birthdays were to Leerang, and how much she’d been looking forward to celebrate it together with her father. Now she couldn’t. Not when he was in prison. “You can always visit him, right?” tears were slowly forming in the corner of her eyes and she sniffled, “I know.” it wouldn’t be the same though, and that’s what pained her the most. “You shouldn’t cry,” his warm skin made contact with hers right before he carefully wiped away the tears that’d rolled down, “you’re too beautiful for that.” hesitantly did she glance up, her cheeks flushed at the gentle look in his eyes and his words had caused her heartbeats to increase. He was always so considerate.

There was a harsh knock on the door, soon followed by her mother’s voice, “Leerang why aren’t you downstairs, there’s people looking for you.” the older woman tried to open the door, all in vain though, because Leerang had locked it again after Chanyeol stepped inside. “What are you doing in there? And why is it locked?” a sigh slipped from her lips, and she was right about to head over and unlock it when remembering that Chanyeol was there, too. All hell would break loose if her mother got to know, therefore did she remain quiet, and motioned for the older male to do the same. “Leerang I want you in the livingroom in five minutes, do you hear me.” The girl didn’t say anything and simply waited as her mother’s footsteps disappeared down the hall and towards the stairs.

“Your mother is a bit scary.” so he finally noticed, something he would’ve never done if the older woman had known that Chanyeol was in there together with her. She’d always been good at it, her mother, with hiding her personality and true intentions. It was only Leerang who knew, and the pregnancy had only made it worse. “I know.” she inched back and turned to the mirror, as she had to make sure the make-up hadn’t been destroyed by her tears, which it luckily hadn’t. “You’re going to go down there?” Chanyeol was mildly surprised, even more so after everything Leerang had said and how upset she’d been at her mother for throwing the party. “Mm, wouldn’t it be rude not to?” the truth was far from it though, because she couldn’t care less whether it was rude or not. The only thing that mattered was to not anger the older woman, something Leerang definitely would if she didn’t show up. “I guess.”

Lay felt anger boil within whilst he watched Leerang exit her bedroom, soon followed by Chanyeol, who sported his usual smile. It was suddenly becoming more and more obvious that Kris wasn’t the only trying to win the younger girl’s heart, and he disliked it with a passion. No one besides himself could have her. “Leerang.” he headed up to the two, his calm and casual self showed even though he was far from it. “Oh, Lay. I didn’t know you were here.” it wasn’t exactly true because she’d seen their, his family’s, car pull up at the house earlier. “Well. I’m here now,” his smile made her forget about all the troubles she had, at least temporary. “And you look gorgeous.” Leerang blushed as she stared down on the dress she was wearing, he’d never been so straightforward before. Not when it came to his feelings.

“Maybe we should go.” Chanyeol interrupted the sickening sweet conversation that’d made him sick to his stomach. “Actually, I need to talk to you.” there was a brief moment of silence and the girl didn’t really know what to do, something Lay took care of pretty soon, “Leerang why don’t you head down in the meantime whilst I talk to Chanyeol.” without objecting did she do as told, and the girl trudged down the stairs with slight problem as the high heels were making it somewhat wobbly. The desire to take them off became too much and she hid them away once she’d slipped out of them, “much better.” to go around barefoot wasn’t that huge of a problem, not to Leerang. Not when the party was held at their house. Her mother however, didn’t appreciate it equally as much and pulled her aside before ordering Leerang to get her heels immediately, “you’re embarrassing yourself and me.” tired of it all she replied with a simple, “fine.” for once could she not care less whether she was lying to her mother, because the girl was so fed up with everything. “You better listen to me.” instead of getting them though, did she vanish off towards a more vacant part of the house, “hm, maybe I should tell Lay that I’m here and not with everyone else.” Leerang reached for her cell phone, only to remember that the dress had no pockets, “great.” the phone had to be on her bed, where she’d last placed it, something that meant she would have to go back.

Unluckily and much to her horror did another problem surface, and Leerang’s heart literally froze as she tried to hide away from Baekhyun, who seemed to be looking for something, or someone. The money was still an ordeal they hadn’t settled yet and she guessed he was searching for her. But if he was there, did it mean Sehun and Kai were, too? She was given an instant answer, because a hand latched onto hers and she was forcefully pulled inside one of the study rooms. And that before she was pushed up against a desk, with Kai hovering over her, “you must have some kind of for this, because you’re always running off on your own.” she should’ve understood he was going to be there, but it was a little too late to think about that.

“It’s not funny.” nothing with the current situation was fun and she tried her best to get away from the older male. But Kai saw it coming and cornered her, “hyung have still not done anything, right?” Leerang ignored the question and looked around the room, the girl had been certain Sehun would be there as well. But the other boy was nowhere in sight. "Sehun is not here." she glanced back at Kai, only to gasp at how close he was, "don't." the word was no more than a mere whisper, and the girl placed her hands at his chest in an attempt to push him away. "Sorry, but you are not in charge here. I am." Leerang's eyes widened and she moved her head to the side when he leaned in, his hot breath ghosted across her cheek and she shivered in displeasure, "its not like it's your first kiss." still, it didn't give him the right to kiss her, "because Sehun stole it."

"One kiss and I'll let you go." Kai knew it would be better than nothing and with so many people around he didn't want to risk getting caught. The girl however, refused, "let me go now." it was already bad enough that Sehun had kissed her, and she was definitely not going to let Kai do it, too. "You don't have a choice." he took a gentle hold of the girl's chin before he forced her to look at him, "so, the easy way or the hard way?"