10

Miss. Trouble

 

A sigh left her slightly parted lips, as she flipped through the small SNSD calendar sitting on her studydesk. Leerang’s birthday was slowly approaching and it made the girl anxious, especially since she hadn’t spoken to her mother for quite a while. In fact, the last time was at her step-father’s birthday party nearly two weeks ago. It would’ve been different though, if the old woman could stop being so selfish. A matter like that needed to be discussed, something her mother should’ve understood. But apparently not. Another stressful sigh escaped at the thought of turning eighteen. Leerang would still be seen as a child. “One more year and I’ll be out of high school, one more year and I’ll be an adult.” to live in an apartment without having to worry about her mother or father was a wish. Well, it was probably every teenagers’ wish.

“Leerang I need to speak to you.” the girl changed her attention from the calendar to the door, wondering what the old man wanted, “okay, I’ll be right there.” straightening up she glanced over at the clock, the time sparked some curiosity to what her father had in mind. That he’d received his monthly salary the day before was an ordeal that made Leerang even more curious. She felt an adrenaline rush sweep through at the possibilities of them doing something together. It’d been years since they did anything, like going to the cinema or dining out.

All those happy thoughts were however shattered quite immediately though, when she met up with her father in the living room. They weren’t going to hang out together. Instead was the old man leaving for a few days. Work related was a word he’d used when describing the situation. Leerang however, knew better than to believe such a foolish lie. She’d lived with him for so long that she understood. “Dad, please don’t.” the money he should’ve used to pay the bills were, with certainty, going to be gambled away. They would always dissapear in one way or another, and that frustrated the said girl. It was not her duty to take care of him. He was supposed to be the one putting a roof over their heads, not Leerang. She was not even considered to be an adult, yet, the responsibility forced upon her was that of one.

“Don’t what? I really need to attend this.” they were all lies, never before had he left for a work related business trip. “I want to see your bankbook in that case.” Leerang’s father gave her a hard stare, one that was easy to figure out, “such distrust.” to hear such a statement from the older male hurt, especially since she only wanted to help. He could simply not live a life where he threw his money left and right. “I’m worrying, that’s all.” shouldn’t he have learned to save and use the money wisely? One could’ve expected so at least. “There’s no need.” Leerang decided to just end the conversation before it got out of hand, something it was about to do. Why was it that both her parents were irresponsible? “I’m going to leave now. Call me if there’s anything.” she could only nod, as he his heel and headed out the door.

Being all alone wasn’t that much fun. There was no one to conversate with, no one to joke around with and most importantly, no one to be with. She missed her father, but to call him so soon just because of that seemed a bit childish. To go home to her mother was not an option though, and that even though the older woman had called several times. Leerang had still not forgotten about the incident, and why she spent all her time at her father’s nowadays.

“Having friends would’ve been perfect.” unfortunately did she have none, as Chanyeol was still someone the girl considered a stranger. Not completely though, but almost. Their little field trip the other day was still there, lingering within her memory. The older boy was nothing but an idiot, a cute one actually. His ways of having fun was different, but in a good way. However, it was safest to stay away from the ahjussi, especially after Seoyoung and her threat.

A frown was evident on Leerang’s face all the whilst she muttered to herself, “I can’t even associate myself with him without getting in trouble.” she’d finally found someone who wasn’t ashamed of talking to her, and now she couldn’t be with him because of Seoyoung. It was truly frustrating. Really, she was not even interested in Chanyeol. But to tell the other girl so would be impossible, as the person on Leerang’s mind was someone who Seoyoung had told her to stay away from, too. In other terms, nothing good would come out from a conversation with the girl’s classmate. “Argh, how can there be such a person?” Leerang ran a hand through her hair in frustration. If she only had the courage to stand up for herself. One could easily describe her as socially awkward.

“Why do I have to be such a coward?” she poked her bedroom door, as if it magically would answer the question. But it didn’t and the girl was left with little hope. “I’m probably going to die without even having received my first kiss.” the reality of that was undoubtedly sad. “No wonder mother wanted another kid. I must be a pitiful sight.” growing up was nowhere near fun and exciting. Only troublesome and hard. “Ah, what am I doing. This is getting depressing.” her eyes did unconsciously land upon the sketchpad, it wouldn’t be too late to head out. The sun was still up, something it was going to be for a few more hours.

Half an hour later was she strolling down the street. Her hair was in a messy bun, and she wore a pair of tight fitting jeans, a tank top and a baseball jacket over that. The converse shoes were on and her sketchpad was lying safely in one of Leerang’s favorite bags, which was casually slung over the girl’s shoulder. “Please let the remaining day be good.” it would be quite impossible for the day to get any worse, at least it felt so. Leerang was only glad that Seoyoung didn’t dare to enter the north. The girl wouldn’t know how to react if that were to happen.

Much to Leerang’s dismay though, did small drops of rain begin to fall and the girl hurried over to the bus stop. There was only one unfortunate thing however, the spot had no shelter were she could hide away. The whole situation got even worse when taking notice that there wouldn’t arrive another bus until twenty minutes later. “I’m going to be soaked by then.” either Leerang could head back home, but even that would result in wet clothes, or she could seek shelter elsewhere. The latter option was to prefer and she decided, against better judgement, to run over to the small bakery. “Stupid rain.” Leerang complained all the whilst she ran.

A low sound emitted when she entered. The rain had already begun to pour, and the girl could feel how her hair glued itself to her forehead in an uncomfortable manner. Glancing over at the cashier she blinked when no one stood there. The sign had clearly stated that it was open though. “Excuse me?” Leerang took a few careful steps closer, wondering whether it was closed or not, especially after have seen all the vacant tables.

“Excus -.” her eyes widened when the older boy appeared, it was so sudden that she felt her pulse skyrocket. “What do you want now?” Kris was slowly becoming irritated at the girl and the way she stuck her nose into everything. “It’s raining,” the boy rolled his eyes, “so?” he didn’t get it, rain wasn’t exactly something unusual, “and I don’t have an umbrella.” he couldn’t care less whether she had an umbrella or not. “So you’re going to take advantage of the bakery until the rain stops, am I right?” that’d sounded better when she thought about it. However, it was a completely different feeling when it came from him. “Fine, I’ll buy a coffee. Are you happy then?” to sacrifice three thousand won was nothing if she could get him to stop with all that. Really, how hard could it be to smile and be more polite?

She placed herself down at a window table once she’d received the steaming hot beverage. “It looks like it’s going to take a while.” Leerang glanced down on her bag before she shifted her attention towards Kris. He looked somewhat distracted standing there. Unconsciously did she tilt her head to the side. There was something about him, something she couldn’t put a finger on. His striking features though, gave her the urge to draw him. Settling the cup down on the table she reached out after her bag. It was a daring move, especially since she had no idea of how he would react if he ever were to see the drawing.

Memories from the other day came creeping back once she began with the outlines. Chanyeol had been quite hard to draw, as he had troubles keeping still, and because of that was she only glad Kris was keeping himself somewhat composed. The boy though, was starting to get a bit anxious over her actions, as he’d seen in the corner of his eye how she was constantly glancing at him, “are you going to quit staring.” he snapped in irritation and Leerang cleared before she looked down on the sketchpad, relieved that she’d already memorized most of his facial structure. “Hm, such a moody person.”

Kris furrowed his eyebrow before he his heel, he needed to make sure that his mother had arrived home safely. The older woman had left the shop in his hands for the day whilst she took care of some errands. He’d tried to persuade her into letting him run them. But she’d refused, saying that it was something she needed to take care of. In fact, all the paperwork was done by his mother. It was easier that way, she’d said.

The fact that Kris disappeared went unnoticed by Leerang, as she was too indulged in the drawing. She would only pause once in a while to take a sip from the coffee that was now beginning to get cold. Two to three hours, that’s how long the girl needed to finish it off. Time that run out abruptly when the boy walked up, “we’re closing.” he refused to meet her gaze, “oh, okay.” Leerang closed the sketchpad before he managed to see what she was doing. Seeing that he’d snapped just because the girl had stared at him made Leerang uneasy. “Could you hurry.” Kris urged her to leave faster. He was already dead tired and wanted nothing more than to hit the bed. With a pout on her lips did she stand up, “no need to be so rude.” tsk, she had no authority over how he was supposed to behave. If he wanted to be rude then he was going to be just that.