37

Miss. Trouble

 


Leerang and Jungah was taking a walk on the beach, evening had already settled and the sun was on its way down behind the horizon. It was three days until they were supposed to head back to Seoul, and the two girls were going to make the best out of the time that was left. “Maybe I should’ve accepted Chanyeol.” Leerang spoke to herself, but the other girl managed to snap it up as well, “wouldn’t that have hurt him even more?” still, she felt absolutely horrible for having rejected the older male. “But why does it hurt so much?” Jungah came to a stop before she sighed, “because he’s your friend.”

“Don’t think about it. He’s going to survive and so are you.” something like that should’ve eased her worries. Yet it didn’t, “oh god, he probably hate me now.” the girl was close to tears, she’d surely destroyed their friendship. “What am I going to do?” Leerang slumped down on the sand before she buried her face in the palm of her hands, “this was a stupid idea.” nothing would be as it used to and it pained the girl to know that. “It’s life. You don’t always get what you want.” Jungah reasoned after she’d placed herself down next to the other girl.

“And I promise you it won’t get easier if you go around thinking about it all the time.” all problems and troubles were stocking themselves on top of each other and Leerang was on the verge of breakdown. There was too much going on in her life. Her mother’s pregnancy, the incidents with Kai and Sehun, Baekhyun whom she hadn’t seen in so long, but who probably wanted his money. Then there was her father and the lack of contact with him, Lay and her feelings for him, Chanyeol and her nonexistent feelings for the older male. Plus Kris, the boy who she shouldn’t even care about but did either how. The week which was supposed to be a vacation had suddenly turned into something completely else.

They sat there for quite a while before Leerang parted her lips and spoke, “do you think I’m a fool?” her voice was low and raspy, a side effect of the tears she’d shed. “No, not really.” Jungah would’ve been a fool, too, if she said yes, “we can’t always decide who we fall for, right.” her attempt to make Kris interested hadn’t really worked for Jungah. Luckily had it not been as serious as the feelings Leerang seemed to have for Lay.

“But this is like worst case scenario.” the girl was practically in love with someone who hadn’t even showed a single sign to reciprocate those feelings, with the exception of the ‘almost kiss’. “I don’t think you should worry too much though. Just give Chanyeol some time to settle his emotions then he’ll be back like nothing ever happened.” Jungah was blurting out things she had no clue of in hope Leerang would relax, something she partly did, “you think?” the other girl nodded without having an idea of how wrong she actually were.

Chanyeol had no intention of forgetting and moving on. Not when his hyung decided to continue his damn game. “You’re not going to win her over, if that’s what you are aiming for.” Lay smirked, his younger friend had suddenly become his rival when it came to Leerang’s heart. However, he was pretty confident he would win in the end. More so since he had the experience, an advantage he were going to put in good use. “Why, because I’ve only had one girl in my whole life and doesn’t know how to treat them?” Chanyeol could for once not care less whether he pissed the older male off. In fact, for such a thing to happen would be nothing but good, as that gave Leerang a chance to see what a person Lay actually were.

“At least I know what they want.” Chanyeol frowned, “like you did with Sun Yoo.” barely a moment later did a clenched fist connect with his cheek and he stumbled back, “SHUT UP.” the younger of the two wasn’t the slightest surprised, he knew how much Lay hated it when someone mentioned Sun Yoo, especially in a situation like that. “Don’t dare bring her into this.” his cracked lip Chanyeol smirked, “why, because you were the one who caused her to commit suicide.” the second blow was harder and did actually knock him to the ground, “DIDN’T I TELL YOU TO SHUT THE UP.” Lay stared down on his friend, his heart pounding hard inside his chest. One would find it hard to believe they were best friends, especially at that moment.

It took Chanyeol a couple of minutes before he spoke, “you know what, I’m sick and tired of this. Just do what you want. But I promise you, I'm not going to help out anymore." like Lay could care less, he didn't need any help. He'd done it so many times before he knew exactly what to do. "You'll see, in the end I'll be the one who got Leerang. Not you." as much as Chanyeol hated to admit it, but his hyung was right about one thing, he wouldn't be the one to win Leerang's heart. She'd already made that quite clear. However, the battle wasn't completely over yet. Just because he couldn't capture her heart didn't mean no one else could, “don’t be so sure.”

Chanyeol had precisely managed to stop the bleeding when he heard Jungah and Leerang enter the house downstairs, hopefully did the latter feel a bit happier considering everything that’d taken place. He couldn’t possibly understand what she was going through, but he’d made sure to not bother her the next coming days as he was returning to Seoul that same evening. To be around Lay was close to impossible after their fight. In fact, it wouldn't surprise him the slightest if the friendship they once shared was destroyed. Chanyeol had practically ended something he'd had his whole life for a girl.

Footsteps in the staircase brought him back to reality, too late though, because Leerang had already seen him, “what happened to you?.” the girl rushed up, worry pulsating within, “your lip.” unconsciously and without thinking did she reach out and place her thumb against his bottom lip, an action that caused the older male to tense, “oh.” Chanyeol grasped onto her hand as she was about to withdraw it, “are you okay?” Leerang smiled all the whilst she looked into his eyes, “shouldn’t I be the one asking you that?” the male shrugged his shoulders, “I don’t want to see you hurt, that’s all.” it was embarrassing having him think about such things, “I’m fine, really.” a blush crept upon Leerang’s cheeks as he lowered his head and pressed his lips to her ear, “don’t ever be sad from now on, okay.” never could he have foreseen how much Leerang meant to him. No other girl had made his heart flutter the way she did. “I -I won’t.” she stuttered, which wasn’t hard to understand seeing how close Chanyeol actually were, “good.” he pulled back, but only enough to plant a kiss on her cheek, “I’m not going to bother you anymore.” Leerang stood rooted to the spot, her eyes wide and mouth agape, as he stepped back and left.

The overwhelming feeling were blown away though, the second Chanyeol returned, but with his bag slung over his shoulder. An alarm echoed in her ears, “what are you doing? Where are you going?” it was such a drastic turn of events, one she hadn’t expected. “I need to take care of something at home.” Leerang sulked, she really wanted him to stay, “do you have to?” the girl would never admit it, but she was actually a bit afraid to be left with Lay, more so since she needed help with approaching him, help only Chanyeol could provide. “I’m sorry. But at least you got Jungah here to keep you company.” right. However, it would still not be the same without him. “Please, if this is about what happened yesterday then -.” he cut her off, “no, it’s not that.” Leerang’s shoulders sank in defeat, the incident was the only thing she could think of.

“LEERANG YOUR PHONE IS RINGING.” she decided to convince Chanyeol to stay, but after she’d answered the call, “stay here, don’t move.” the threat was childish like and even caused the male to laugh aloud, “ahh, so you’re into that business now.” despite the want to leave did he do as told, and that as Leerang rushed down the stairs in search for her cell phone. “Where is it? Where is it?” she truly hoped it wasn’t her mother calling, “here.” Jungah tossed her the small device and thus gave the girl a chance to answer, “hello?”

An unfamiliar voice greeted her, “hello is this Leerang, Il Sung’s daughter?” she replied with a hesitant yes, curious to why anyone wanted to know that, “your father has unfortunately been taken into custody for stealing. Therefore would it be good if one of his relatives came to the police station.” the girl felt like crying, because something terrible must’ve happened in order for her dad to take on such drastic methods, “I’ll be there tomorrow.” Leerang had no other choice but to take the train back to Seoul, as she was the only one who could help her dad.