Christmas Special

Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     

    The wind was blowing quite mercilessly and I knew I’d freeze to death the second I step out the warm car. But sometimes, sacrifices are necessary and it’s not like I’ll end up dead if I stay out for ten minutes or half an hour, if I really walk back home.

“How long does this vacation last for?”

“Another two weeks” I answered with a quiet sigh, somewhat sad that the winter vacation was slowly nearing its end.

“Try not to sound so sad” The person at the wheel laughed and I only rolled my eyes at him “It was your choice to continue your studies”

“Yeah, but slowly I’m starting to think I’ve been staying in school for too long” I muttered, biting my lower lip.

“Stop whining, it makes me think you learned it from me” At that I started laughing and the the person with me in the car followed quickly “Besides, university is not that bad”

“Indeed it’s not, but sometimes all the work I get makes me think I’m dying” I groaned, leaning my head against the cold surface of the window.

“Still dramatic I see, now that...you didn’t get from me” I huffed and turned towards Jongdae who was grinning widely ahead.

“You must always turn every conversation you have with me to Wendy” Jongdae only laughed as he patted my shoulder with one hand.

“I didn’t give a name, you thought of her” He shrugged and I smirked at him evilly.

“So tell me, when are you going to make your move on her?” At that, Jongdae’s smile disappeared as he cleared his throat rather awkwardly.

“Well, she’s still in Canada--perhaps when she comes home?” His answer sounded more like a question than an answer.

“Try sounding more sure about it” I chuckled and Jongdae only groaned “But I’m serious, oppa. You’ve been making this too long. You clearly like each other so why are you still not making a move?”

“Look who’s speaking” Jongdae glanced at me with a grin “When are you going to make a move?”

“If I’ll find someone to make a move on…” I trailed off, looking out the window once again.

“Don’t you think five years is already a long time?” I remained silent as Jongdae pulled up to the front gate “You’ve healed, it’s time to try again, don’t you think so?”

“Oppa” I turned towards him with a smile “Don’t wait for me, I’ll walk back home”

“In this weather?” Jongdae asked surprised and he quickly shook his head “Just take your time, I’ll be waiting here”

“Go home, I’m serious” I pouted, taking the flowers from the backseat.

“So that you can call Kyungsoo to come and take you?” Jongdae crossed his arms in front of his chest and I giggled “Right, so he’ll say once again that I never take care of you, I’ll just wait. You go”

“Whatever” I rolled my eyes with a small smile and got out of the car. I instantly shivered at the cold wind, the snow crunching beneath my feet as I walked through the opened gates. Bringing flowers when it’s winter might not be a good idea, but I can’t come empty handed, not when the holidays are so close. Maneuvering my way around the tombs, like usually, I made my first stop in front of Mrs. Oh’s tomb.

“Good morning, Mrs. Oh” I greeted with a smile, placing the white roses on top of the tomb “It’s really cold today, are you holding up well?”

I hissed as the cold wind seemed to blow harder and I quickly zipped up my warm jacket.

“Holidays are just around the corner, what should I buy for my mom?” I pouted a little as I looked down at her tomb “Perhaps, do you want me to bring some new flowers for Christmas or you prefer these ones?”

Obviously, I never get an answer but it’s reassuring to still speak to them. I sighed, looking around. The whole cemetery was covered in white snow, giving it a nice but eery glow.

“I’ll just bring both” I shrugged, smiling a little “I’m going now because I’m afraid I will freeze to death if I stay out here for too long”

Waving a little at the tomb, I walked ahead, quickly coming to a stop in front of Bo-Yeong’s.

“Unnie is here!” I called a little louder, crouching down “You should be really grateful, you little brat, I even sacrifice to freeze my out here for you”

I laughed a little, biting my lower lip, “Do you think I’ll ever see him again? It’s been five years already...long time, right?”

“You’d be 20 years old now” I hummed quietly, standing up “Unnie is going now because Dae oppa is waiting for me. I’ll stop by once again on Christmas because I actually have to study for my exams after the vacation. University is slowly killing me, Bo-Yeong...but I like it, I’m finally doing something helpful”

Blowing a little kiss to the tomb, I turned around and hurriedly walked back to Jongdae’s car. Once inside, I groaned loudly, nuzzling further into my jacket and turned the heat up.

“You want me to melt?” Jongdae laughed as he shrugged off his coat and threw it in the backseat.

“And you want me to freeze?” I raised my eyebrows and he just chuckled as he started the car again.

“Are you still interning at Kyungsoo’s hospital?” Jongdae suddenly asked, a thoughtful look on his face.

“Yeah, but it’s not his hospital” I rolled my eyes, no matter how many times I tell him it’s not Kyungsoo’s hospital, he still keeps calling it like that.

“Whatever, I want to write an article about the hospital facilities during the holidays...you think you can get me a pass?” His eyebrows rose and I glared at him a little.

“So basically, you’re using me to get inside? What do I get out of this?” My eyes narrowed at Jongdae and he laughed loudly, his loud laugh partially deafening me.

“A free meal for one week, I’ll pay for your lunch if you come to the newspaper I work at” He grinned at me and I thought over it for a moment. Taking a cab I could get to Jongdae in ten minutes, and I’ll have twenty more minutes break. Sounds like a deal to me.

“Okay, fine...I get you inside and you pay for my lunch for a week” I nodded and Jongdae offered me a hand to shake, which I shook gladly.

“But--I g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter