66장

Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     

 

    My eyebrows furrowed as I heard birds chirping. How can I hear them when my window is closed and the curtain is drawn? But then why does it feel like my face is burning and like someone is watching me? Eyebrows furrowing, I lazily opened my eyes only to jump and hit out of reflex.

“What the hell!” Dad shrieked, rubbing his arm.

“What are you doing!” I exclaimed, eyes wide as my heart pounded hard in my chest.

“I wanted to wake you up” Dad spoke with a little glare.

“By staring at me and scaring me to death?” I raised my eyebrows as I rubbed my face, still tired from the ball.

“You are welcome, you have only forty minutes to get ready for the graduation...if you are going” Dad rose from my bed and made his way towards my door.

“What? Already…” I muttered, sitting up as I yawned. I might have stayed for a little longer than I actually expected. But after going back inside, it seemed like time speed up. I didn’t see Sehun for the rest of the night, only when Jackson was taking me home and he was leaning against his car, Junmyeon on his side. I met Hana a few more times and she wanted to speak with me, only to find out that she once came to the coffee shop and that’s where I knew her from. She’s the daughter of that young woman Sehun’s father is living with and like Sehun hates his step mother, he hates Hana as well. I told her to give him time, they can still become good friends, when Sehun realizes he needs to forgive certain people since it’s not their fault.

 

Following my father’s advice, I got out of bed and went to freshen up, taking a hot shower. I was too tired to do that when I arrived at night and I can’t go around smelling ugly. For a reason, I felt good. Happier and lighter, a weird feeling I haven’t had for long. I pulled my hair in a high ponytail, brushing my bangs back. Maybe it’s time I can go back to my usual hairstyle, it doesn’t hurt seeing Bo-Yeong in myself anymore. It just makes me feel closer to her. After brushing my teeth and washing my face, I applied some light make up and a dark red lipstick. The problem was that I didn’t know how to dress. Today the weather was warm but slightly windy. I knew Bo-Yeong would have wanted me to wear something pretty, so I decided on a more sportsy dress. It had long sleeves and reached close to my ankles. The sleeves had a design that Bo-Yeong always made fun of, a pink part. But it was perfect for this windy weather. Placing some earrings in as well, I made my way downstairs.

“Good morning” I greeted my parents, sitting down in a chair.

“Morning” Dad smiled at me as mom turned around.

“You are really pretty” She smiled at me as she handed me a bowl with cereals.

“Thank you” I bowed my head a little and started eating my breakfast.

“I’ll give you a ride to school” Dad announced as he closed the newspaper he was reading.

“It’s not necessary but thank you” I muttered, stuffing my face with my breakfast.

“Surprised you didn’t argue” Dad chuckled as mom sat at the table, eating some salad.

“I want to wear heels, so I won’t really refuse a ride” I shrugged and made mom chuckle.

“What a sly daughter I have” I winked at her playfully and dad sighed, faking a shiver.

“I have two evil women in this house, Bo-Yeong why did you leave me alone...you were my only hope” He said dramatically and I chuckled, standing up to place the empty bowl in the sink.

“She didn’t leave you alone, you just can’t see her anymore” Mom said with a smile and I glanced at her. Hopefully she won’t go crazy.

“Right” Dad nodded as he stood up “Let’s go Chae-Yeong”

“Okay, bye mom” I waved at her as I exited the kitchen to get my high heels.

 

The ride to school was filled with dad listening to music loudly and singing alone, making me roll my eyes instead of joining in. He tried making me sing along as well, but I refused and pretended to ignore him, only to have him pouting like a little kid. I swear to God, my father acts like a little kid not like a grown man.

“Bye, dad” I closed the door as he waved at me and headed towards the school parking lot. Like any other year, the school was buzzing with students and many parents. The seniors had on their gowns and were around their friends or families. I smiled at the few people I knew as I walked around, looking for Wendy and Kyungsoo. They said we would meet in the parking lot. Looking around aimlessly, I came face to face with a face that looked a lot like Sehun’s.

“Mr. Oh” I bowed quickly, surprised to see the man here. I thought he wouldn’t come, but his son is graduating after all and him not coming would have been disrespectful. Plus, Sehun is a good student, at least he can brag about his son to others.

“Chae-Yeong, long time no see, right?” Mr. Oh chuckled as he patted my shoulder and I forced out a smile.

“Right, how have you been?” I really didn’t want to speak to the man that caused so much pain for Sehun, but I wasn’t raised like that.

“Really well, child. I’m glad that my son is finally graduating” He grinned, his eyes narrowing a little bit. Seeing the man being so arrogant, awoke something inside me.

“And do you expect Sehun to take over your place?” I asked with a polite smile “Will you force him to go to Busan and live a life he never wanted? I think you’ve made him suffer enough, Mr. Oh”

Mr. Oh’s eyes were wide as he looked at me speechless. I bowed my head, about to walk away when suddenly Hana and a woman on her side stopped beside Mr. Oh.

“Chae-Yeong!” Hana exclaimed cheerfully “I’m glad to see you again”

“You too” I muttered, eyeing the woman beside her curiously. She looked really young, beautiful. Hana definitely looked like her.

“This is my mom” She saw me looking at her mother and quickly introduced her.

“Nice to meet you, Mrs. Shin” I quickly shook the woman’s hand, her smile fell a little when I used her name. Mr. Oh still seemed to be speechless as he watched the encounter, not really reacting as he just kept staring at me.

“Have a good day” I smiled at Hana and she quickly returned it. I turned around to leave, and barely a few steps ahead Kyungsoo was running to my side.

“What did you say to Mr. Oh?” His face was shocked and scared.

“Why?” I raised my eyebrow as I glanced at Kyungsoo.

“The man looks like he started malfunctioning, he barely greeted me back” Kyungsoo’s face was pulled in a grimace and I chuckled as I stopped walking.

“I told him to stop destroying Sehun’s life” I said with a shrug, making Kyungsoo’s eyes bulge out.

“What!” He exclaimed, mouth hanging open.

“What why? What did I miss?” Wendy asked as she stopped beside Kyungsoo.

“She told Sehun’s father to stop ruining his son’s life” Kyungsoo stared at Wendy, waiting for her to probably scold me.

“That’s my girl!” Wendy pulled me in an aggressive hug and I laughed a little.

“You two are crazy” Kyungsoo massaged his forehead as we started walking again. Wendy nudged my side with a grin and I chuckled, rolling my eyes. Her now brown hair was in a ponytail as well, her bangs gone too. She wore some white shorts with a dark blue t-shirt tucked in and some tennis shoes.

“Where’s Jackson?” I asked as we walked to the outdoor gym.

“With mom and dad, they are discussing with the principal” She shrugged as we took our seats at the front.

“I’m excited” I suddenly blurted out, making Wendy and Kyungsoo look at me.

“That’s great” Wendy chuckled “I’m super excited but sad at the same time. All the hot guys are going away”

“Not all” I glanced at Kyungsoo and he quickly caught on, flushing red.

“Chae-Yeong, stop it” He nudged my side and both Wendy and I started laughing.

“Maybe Kyungsoo isn’t bad after all” Wendy muttered loudly enough for me to hear and I stared at her amused.

“Did you hear that?” She asked, eyes wide.

“Be happy he didn’t” I giggled and Wendy groaned, quickly looking away. The students were already gathering, going to their designated seats. The principal was at the front, a microphone in his hand as he spoke to his secretary. Suddenly, two figures stood in front of us, blocking our view. My heart picked up a little bit when I saw Baekhyun looking at me with a little glare, Yixing on his side with a wide grin.

“Hey!” He greeted us, shaking hands with Kyungsoo “Do you mind if we sit here?”

“Not at all” Kyungsoo smiled and both Baekhyun and Yixing sat beside us. I felt Baekhyun’s glares on the side of my face, but I ignored them and focused on how happy I actually feel right now.

“I can’t believe it’ll only be the three of us from today on” Yixing sounded sad as he stared out at the field filled with students and his friends.

“I know, it’ll be weird not having Jongin, Chanyeol and Jongdae nagging me daily” Kyungsoo’s brows furrowed and I placed a reassuring hand on top of his.

“Or Sehun” Yixing muttered, eyes on me. I flashed him a weak smile, suddenly becoming sad. Yes, it’s really sad and I don’t even want to think about it.

“Well, Baekhyun has something to s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter