26장

Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     

 

    After staying with Bo-Yeong until lunch time and trying to cheer her up and give her some positive energy, I had to leave for work, not affording to be late...it is my job after all and I’m getting payed well, so I can’t afford losing my place.

It was around sometime afternoon when the cafe became a little quiet, less customers coming in and leaving me time to actually get some work done for school. So like I usually would do, I was crouched down behind the counter, reading and memorizing the agonizing numbers and names at History. Did I say how much I dislike it? I guess I did, more than once. I frowned when I got stuck at a name and could barely read it since it wasn’t in my language, my eyebrows furrowing as I tried pronouncing it again.

“Vlad Țepeș” A deeper voice suddenly said from behind me and I jumped, book falling from my hands.

“It takes practice to pronounce it correctly, but once you get the hang of it, it’s not that hard” Do Kyungsoo was smiling at me, his nose cutely scrunching up. I cleared my throat, my ear heating up and I’m sure Kyungsoo saw it since my hair is in a ponytail.

“Yeah, it’s quite hard to say it” I muttered, picking up the book and straightening up.

“Why did you take social studies if you don’t like History?” Kyungsoo asked with a chuckle, leaning against the counter.

“Is it that obvious?” I groaned, slamming the book beside me.

“Yes” Kyungsoo nodded with a chuckle, his eyes checking me out subtly. My ears became hotter and I had to look past Kyungsoo, trying to not let the blush spread on my whole face. At least he was subtle about it, right?

“You know why I took social studies?” I raised an eyebrow and Kyungsoo seemed startled, looking lost in thought “Because even though I don’t like History, I hate Maths...so there’s a pro and con in everything”

“You just wanted to get rid of Maths, sly” Kyungsoo giggled, making me chuckle as my cheeks finally heated up. I hate it that I’m blushing, but Kyungsoo is capable of making me blush so easily and it’s annoying...I’m supposed to push him away, not be friendly with him.

“I was thinking, that maybe--”

“Chae-Yeong~” Seulgi’s sweet voice sang from the kitchen and soon her lean from came in view with us “Can you help Doyoung, I’m so--oh, hi!”

“He-hello” Kyungsoo bowed, a shy smile gracing his lips. Seulgi smiled back friendly, hugging me from behind, startling me. She’s never done it before, but it felt comforting her hold and I welcomed it even though it was new and unexpected.

“You are a friend of Chae-Yeong’s, right?” Seulgi asked, her voice loud in my ear since she rested her chin on my shoulder.

“Oh, yes”

“Not at all” Kyungsoo and I exchanged glances while Seulgi chuckled, pinching my . My eyes widened and I wiped my head at her, mouth falling agape. Is this how Seulgi really is? What did I do that she started behaving like this with me? Does she consider me her friend now? Because I definitely don’t like it!

“Oh, you are that cute friend!” Seulgi exclaimed, my ear ringing from her high voice “That’s right, I’ve seen you around”

“Oh, yes, I’ve been around” Kyungsoo said seriously, making Seulgi’s smile widen.

“Okay, well...have fun, I’ll leave you alone now!” Seulgi waved as she walked out, going up to the tables, checking if the customers needed anything else.

“Sorry about her, she’s really--friendly?” I shrugged, not knowing how to call Seulgi. She was friendly but weird at the same time.

“Don’t worry” Kyungsoo waved it off, eyeing the board behind me “Can you make me a chocolate latte with vanilla dressing?”

“Sure” I nodded, turning around to make Kyungsoo’s order.

“Can I ask something else from you?” His voice was quiet but determined.

“Yes, but depends...I might not do it” I glanced back at him, yet making sure I didn’t pour hot water on myself.

“Can you hand me your phone?” Kyungsoo asked timidly, yet his eyes showed determination.

“My phone?” I asked confused, maybe he wants to call someone?

“It’s on the counter, beside the cash register” I saw him nodding before I turned back to his latte, carefully putting on the vanilla dressing, and securing the plastic cup with a top.

“Here, all done” I turned around, Kyungsoo just placing my phone back on the counter, a small smile on his face.

“Thank you” His smile deepened, eyes shining with happiness as he payed for his latte “See you around”

“Bye” I waved after him, watching him leave with furrowed eyebrows. Why did he need my telephone?

“Why did he take your phone?” I yelped, alerting a few customers when Doyoung’s melodic voice was close to my ear.

“Don’t do that!” I hissed, patting my chest, calming my heart.

“Sorry” Doyoung snickered “Both you and Seulgi get scared so easily, it’s so funny”

“No, it’s not” I glared at him, pushing him away when he leaned closer in a mocking way.

“You didn’t answer me” Doyoung said with a creepy grin and I huffed, rolling my eyes.

“I don’t know, happy?”

“You shouldn’t give your phone to anyone, ice queen” Doyoung’s creepy grin deepened, and I shivered “Maybe he put on a tracing thing, who knows?”

“What?” I asked confused, crossing my arms in front of my chest “And ice queen, what the hell Doyoung?”

“That’s my nickname for you” Doyoung chuckled, turning around “Seulgi’s is Seul bear”

“Why is mine ice queen?” I asked with a huff, actually feeling offended.

“Because you are always inexpressive and look ready to kill, therefore you are an ice queen, I think it’s cool” And with that Doyoung disappeared back to the kitchen, leaving me with a scowl on my face. Why did he call Seulgi Seul bear and couldn’t even give me a cool nickname like...Chae cabbage? I’m just saying...cabbages are cool.

 

The day was finally over, and it was time for me to head home. Since it was past ten pm and no buses were working at this hour, I had to walk home since Doyoung stayed for another hour until the cafe was actually closed and Seulgi’s boyfriend came to pick her up. She offered me a ride, but I knew I’d just feel awkward going with them, plus a little walk in the cool air never killed nobody.

Digging my hands inside my pockets, I fastened my pace a little in the dark night. The sky was covered in clouds and it was possible for tomorrow to rain. Taking a right turn, my phone pinged, making me jump out of my skin. Taking it out of my pocket, I stared at the lit screen, eyebrows furrowing when it read Do Kyungsoo. How did he get on my phone? Quickly opening it, I saw a message coming from him. My eyebrows furrowing, I realized that’s why he asked for my phone, so that he could save his number in it.

‘Your shift is over, right?’ I stared at the message for a good two minutes, my steps slower when I finally snapped out of it.

‘Yeah...is this why you asked for my phone?’ Not even a minute later came the answer.

‘Yes, I hope you don’t mind’

‘Oh well, it’s fine...I can just block you’ I shrugged, picking up my pace again. I can easily block him, that’s true.

‘Chae-Yeong, don’t do that...please~!’ I chuckled at the message, actually imagining Kyungsoo say it. He didn’t strike me as the type to whine so I found it funny.

‘If you don’t bother me, I won’t do it’ I answered with a chuckle, feeling a smile on my lips. I took a left turn, this side of the neighbourhood was not so good, but it was the shortest way to go.

‘Okay, I promise I won’t! You can tell me when I’m bothering you and I will stop texting you!’

‘Okay, that sounds like a deal’ I smiled at the screen as the three dots kept moving, Kyungsoo typing. I looked around, making sure I was still alone and not followed, taking a right turn that led to a narrower path. The street lights were just a little bit dimmer, but I could still see well. My eyes narrowed, my paranoia kicking in again. My phone pinged, bringing me out of my thoughts, my heart

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter