21장

Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     

    Today was Bo-Yeong’s birthday. So I decided prettying myself up a little bit wouldn’t hurt me. While putting on the mascara, memories of the day Sehun spread that rumor about me flooded my mind, making me blink away threatening tears. Why would I still cry about such thing? It was in the past, I had to get over it. At the same time, I really wish I wouldn’t see Oh Sehun today, because what happened yesterday is very embarrassing. How could I break down in front of him like that? Sooyoung’s words were the only thing that echoed in my head and seeing Sehun just really pushed me to the edge, resulting in me losing it in front of him. It was embarrassing to cry in front of him, but what I can’t exactly understand is why he stayed with me and comforted me, he could have easily left me alone. Was he really afraid that I would try and kill myself or he would have felt guilty if he left me there and I really did it? Sighing, I gave my lips a gradient look and taking the small present box and my backpack I waltzed downstairs.

Walking into the kitchen, mom jumped when I threw my backpack on the floor.

“You scared me!” She exclaimed, clutching a hand to her chest.

“Sorry, it wasn’t on purpose” I muttered, washing an apple and going back to my backpack.

“Can I see the necklace?” Mom asked with a smile, eyeing the box on the table.

“Sure” I nodded, taking a bite of the apple. Mom nodded and took the box, opening it. Her eyes widened and she glanced up at me.

“You don’t like it?” I asked, my eyebrows furrowing.

“I do, it’s really pretty” She said with a smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes. She pushed it back towards me, clearing .

“Let me braid your hair” Mom muttered quietly, my eyebrows raising.

“Now?”

“Yes, I still have enough time to get to work” She smiled, heading out the kitchen. With my eyebrows furrowed, I took a seat and finished my apple quietly while waiting for her to return. She brushed my hair tenderly, patting my head before starting to braid it.

“Tell me about school, Chae-Yeong” Mom spoke from behind me, confusing me. What happened with her? Why was her mood down so suddenly and why did she care out of nowhere?

“I’m still first, you don’t have to worry about that” I answered, fumbling with my fingers in my lap.

“No, Chae-Yeong” Mom’s voice became strict “I don’t care about that, if you wouldn’t be first I would still love you the same. I’m asking how school is...your friends treat you right? Is anyone bothering you?”

“Why do you care?” I sighed, straightening my back when mom pulled my head upways.

“Because I’m your mother, I’m supposed to know these kind of things”

“Fine, my friends are nice and no one is bothering me” I huffed, hissing quietly when she pulled a strand harsher.

“Why were you crying that day you came home a few weeks ago?” She asked, her voice strained.

“I don’t remember, I probably stupidly hit myself...you know I’m clumsy” I shrugged, biting my lip. Can she stop questioning me? It makes me uncomfortable.

“I don’t believe you” Mom’s movements halted, before she continued “But when you are ready to tell me, I’m here”

“Okay” I muttered waiting for her to finish braiding my hair. Soon, she secured the braid with bobby pins and tapped my shoulder signaling I was done. I stood up and walked to the hallway to the mirror, seeing she made a crown braid. It looked really beautiful, Bo-Yeong learned braiding from mom.

“It looks nice, thanks” I turned towards her. Mom smiled and handed me my backpack and box. After placing the little box inside my backpack, I went for the front door but mom stopped me and kissed my forehead.

“You’ve become a really beautiful and smart girl, Chae-Yeong” Mom smiled, opening the door for me “Mom is very proud of you”

“Goodbye” I returned a little smile, my heart actually warming up at her words. It’s been long since I heard something like that from her, and after all the negativity I get in school, it feels good to be complimented by my own mother.

 

Walking into school, students who recognised me started staring, whispering quietly. Now I regret letting mom braid my hair, it’s attracting too much attention...something I really hate. Walking to my locker, I quickly placed my backpack inside, carefully for once since Bo-Yeong’s necklace was inside, and took out my History book, groaning. Can someone save me from History? It’s quite funny I took social studies when I actually can’t stand History...better this way though than taking science studies where they kill you with Maths, Chemistry and Physics. Turning around, I jumped. Baekhyun was standing very close, head leaning closer.

“What are you doing?” I muttered, pushing myself into my locker.

“Are you Song Chae-Yeong?” Baekhyun muttered, surveying my face. My eyebrows furrowed as I scoffed and pushed him away.

“No, I’m Park Sooyoung...who do I look like?”

“Wow, with that attitude...you could pass as her” Baekhyun chuckled, stepping back “If you already said this...how about we meet up before lunch, third period? We could skip together--”

“I think the hell not” I glared at Baekhyun hard, pushing him away again “Try speaking with the real Park Sooyoung...though I’m not sure Oh Sehun would be too happy to hear about it”

“Well, what Oh Sehun doesn’t know, won’t hurt him” Baekhyun smirked devilishly, making me scoff. And he called himself Sehun’s friend? Poor thing…

“Great friendship you’ve got there” I muttered, turning to leave.

“Oh, I know” Baekhyun chuckled, grabbing my arm “Offer is still up”

“If you haven’t realized so far...I clearly declined it, now let go until I’m asking nicely” I smiled fakely at Baekhyun, brushing his hand off. Baekhyun chuckled and left with a wink when Jongin shouted for him. Huffing, I patted down my uniform and walked to class wishing I wouldn’t meet anyone else from the minion gang.

 

Lunch break like always approached too quickly and I found myself walking to my locker to get my lunch box. Dodging a few boys from the basketball team as they were throwing the ball at each other, I almost ran into Jongdae.

“Woah there” He gripped my shoulders tightly, steadying the both of us “You okay?”

“Sure” I muttered, taking a small step back, letting him know I didn’t want to be held.

“Nice hair, you did it?” He asked casually, making me glance away awkwardly.

“My mom” I muttered, itching to run away. Why was he speaking to me and complimenting me?

“It’s pretty, fits you just right” He grinned and I looked at him with a blank face. Just what was happening with Kim Jongdae? Could he not act like that towards me? It’s disturbing. Before he could say anything else, I quickly walked away, leaving him standing there alone. Arriving to my locker, Jackson and Jaebum were leaning against Jackson’s, laughing loudly about something. I greeted them while getting my lunch box, Jackson’s mouth falling open.

“Damn, you look good, Chae-Yeong” He commented, making my cheeks turn red.

“Oh, uhm...thanks?” I chuckled awkwardly, holding the lunch box in front of me awkwardly.

“Nice seeing you again” Jaebum

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter