36장

Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     

    Mom barged inside my room two hours before we had to leave, almost making me fall off my bed. She had a skeptical look as she watched me hang upside down my bed, growing confused.

“What are you doing?” She asked, eyebrows furrowing when I stared up at her.

“Thinking” I answered, still not moving to sit normally.

“Chae-Yeong, too much blood will get in your head, stand up” She scolded me with her motherly tone and I rose into a sitting position, head spinning for a few seconds.

“So, what do you want?” I asked, bored, staring at her without much expression.

“Start getting ready, we are leaving soon” Mom went for the door “And put some make up on”

“How soon?” I grimaced at the mention of make up. Did I have to, after I was made to look like a clown?

“One and a half an hour” Mom answered as she closed the door after her, leaving me with a sigh. Knowing I had no other choice but start getting ready, I took a long shower, enjoying the warm water on my skin, washing away my problems that would come back once I stepped outside. I straightened my hair and kept my make up at minimal. The eye shadow I used was a soft cyclamen and I placed glitter on the inner lids, underneath my eyes as well and kept the eyeliner thin and delicate. I never liked doing too much eye make up either way. The lipstick I used was a matte red, with a hint of cyclamen in it, easing the rough looking red color. Actually, the make up turned out pretty and like I actually put lots of effort in it, when actually I didn’t.

Going back to my room, I pulled on the dress carefully, zipping it up. I stared at myself in the mirror but was unable to keep a straight face. I just loved the dress so much, it was so fancy yet cute, just the way I like it. And the fabric was lovely as well, this dress was really made for me. I took on some not very tall, black, stilettos heels. Since I was ready, I grabbed my purse and went downstairs being met with dad who was goofing around. He was messing with his tie as he tried slapping mom with it, who was having none of it. She was glaring at dad, arms crossed in front of her chest until she saw me.

“Chae-Yeong” She exclaimed and I jumped, startled by the volume of her voice.

“Yeah?” I asked, looking confused at her.

“Oh damn, my dragon is really beautiful tonight” Dad smiled brightly at me as he finally did his tie. He was in a black suit, the shirt tucked inside his pants carefully.

“Thanks” I muttered, blushing a little. This dress would bring much attention, I guess. A soft smile spread on mom’s lips as she looked me up and down. She was beautiful in her black dress. It was a simple, tight dress with lace on the upper part, long sleeves and high neck. Her hair was wavy and her make up was more visible than mine, but her lips stayed their natural color.

“Did your friends pick this dress?” Mom asked, leaning against the counter as dad walked past me, going to the living room to shut the tv off.

“Yeah, they helped me” I muttered, gripping the purse tighter.

“Great friends you have” Mom smiled, taking her purse “Let’s get going now”

So I took on my long coat and secured the green scarf around my neck, finding comfort, knowing it was from Bo-Yeong. I haven’t taken off the necklace from her, just like I promised. I would always wear it and knowing like this I had something from her on me, brought me comfort as I was filled with nerves, legs bouncing up and down the whole ride to the fancy restaurant.

 

I had been to plenty of restaurants but this looked entirely different, bigger and more expensive. When we walked inside the lady at the front desk greeted us with a smile and when mom showed her the invitation, she led us to a different room from the main hall. While passing through the hall I could feel eyes on us and it was making me uncomfortable, all I wanted to do was turn around and bolt. It felt like I was in school and the students were laughing at me for no reason. My ears even caught a few foreign language speaking people, and I realized how fancy this restaurant was. Not anyone came here, only people with lots of money...very rich people. Something we were not and it felt like a sign on my forehead was screaming that despite the designer dress I was wearing. This left me wondering how rich my mom’s boss actually was if he could afford to invite us here and actually pay for everyone’s consumptions. When we were finally out off the main hall, the lady led us to a hallway on our left and soon there were big, double, glass doors that were pulled open by a butler.

“This is where you’ll be staying for tonight” The lady said with a polite smile and taking mom’s invitation she left, leaving us standing in the doorway. Mom glanced at dad nervously and he took her hand, intertwining their fingers as they walked inside, me trailing after them. My breath caught in my throat when we actually entered the room. It looked even bigger than the main hall but that was probably because the windows here were from ceiling to floor. The whole room was lit, almost blindingly and there were many round tables scattered around us, the center left empty as there was an orchestra playing some soft tune. Everything in the room was a mix of gold and peach colored things and I followed my parents blindly, gaping at the decor. It was really beautiful and now I felt kinda bad for coming in a black dress, it looked out of place surrounded by so many gold and peach. We walked further inside, and I was surprised that people inside here didn’t stare. Maybe this was the main hall? Or maybe the people inside here were so rich that they couldn’t care less...probably this one. We stopped a table that was closer to the orchestra, but surprisingly the music wasn’t deafeningly loud beside it. I still didn’t pay attention to the people around me as I walked close to my father, mom going to a person as we followed close behind her. Dad’s body was doing a good job in hiding me and I smiled when I remembered I would often hide behind him when I was little and scared of strangers.

“Oh, Miso!” The unknown man mom walked up to exclaimed, shaking her hand.

“Hello, Mr. Oh” Mom bowed, a smile on her lips as she stepped aside. Mr. Oh? Were there that many Oh’s? Wasn’t Oh Sehun enough?

“This is my husband and--” Her eyebrows furrowed when she couldn’t see me. Dad chuckled and stepped aside, letting me in view “And my daughter”

“Good evening, sir” Dad shook hands with the man as I stared timidly at him. His face looked familiar and eyes sharp, something I was also used to.

“Hello, my name is Chae-Yeong” I bowed deeply, knowing I had to behave tonight no matter what.

“Lovely name you got” Mr. Oh laughed and suddenly patted the chair beside him. My eyes followed the movement and my feet almost gave out when the boy from the chair stood up, back straight. I gripped my father’s sleeve and he glanced at me, eyes showing worry when I turned more into him.

“This is my son” Mr. Oh patted Sehun’s shoulder a little too roughly “Sehun”

“Nice to meet you, Mrs. Song and Mr. Song--Chae-Yeong” His voice was slightly tight when he glanced at me and he gulped as he averted his eyes. My dad patted my hand with a reassuring smile as we sat down, mom on Mr. Oh’s right as dad sat on my left. It was a circle table and three places were still unoccupied. I took my coat off stiffly, placing the scarf on the backrest on top of the coat. I sat with my back straight, not knowing what to do as Oh Sehun was staring at me with a glare. Was it my mistake that my mother was working for his father? Definitely not! I didn’t even know, if I did...I definitely wouldn’t be here right now, dressed like this.

“I’m really glad you could make it, Miso” Mr. Oh said with a chuckle, chugging down some wine “One of my best workers, you deserve at least this”

“Thank you, sir” Mom smiled politely, patting my knee underneath the table. I think it was very visible how stiff I was and my mouth was really dry.

“Chae-Yeong, how old are you?” Mr. Oh directed his attention towards me, eyes showing pure interest.

“Seventeen” I answered quietly, not liking the attention I was getting.

“Oh, one year younger than Sehun!” Mr. Oh chuckled, but I saw his face grow a little hard when he threw a glance at Sehun.

“Yes, father” Sehun muttered, looking just as uncomfortable as me.

“What school do you go to?” Mr. Oh pressed on with the questions and I wanted to stand up and run until I was home.

“Prím Elite High School” I almost choked out the words, taking a quick sip of the water that was in my glass.

“Oh, wait” Mr. Oh’s face became confused as mom and dad both looked at me then at Sehun.

“Do you know each other?” Mom asked surprised as she smiled at me.

“Our lockers are across from each other” Sehun answered and I shivered at his low voice. He was hating this more than me, having to pretend we were at least acquaintances.

“Yeah, we see each other around sometimes” I added, playing along. My life is already a living hell because of Sehun, if I say anything wrong he won’t let me off for sure.

“That’s great, I had no idea” Mr. Oh chuckled but he quickly stood up when new people stopped at the table.

“Hello, my dears!” He greeted the older women and man. My eyes doubled their size when Kim Junmyeon shook hands with Mr. Oh, patting Sehun’s shoulder as he nodded at him. He turned towards my parents and bowed, his eyes becoming as wide as mine.

“Uhm, hello” He muttered and I nodded back, hardly believing what was happening. I found out Junmyeon’s father was the vice-president and was my mom’s other boss.

 

Our parents got on well and not a second passed in silence around our table, always speaking about something. Junmyeon was sitting beside Sehun as they kept their conversation to themselves, glancing from time to time at me, Sehun’s glare piercing each time. I smiled at the elders and answered each time I was asked, wishing this night would end faster and I could bolt, curl up in my bed and wish I never found out who my mother’s boss and his son was.

Taking a big sip of my water, I glanced over at Sehun, finding him turned to the side as both him and Junmyeon were staring at a girl. She was tall, had the body of a model and was dressed in a low cut dress, everything on her screaming money. Sehun smirked as he mumbled something to Junmyeon who started laughing and elbowed Sehun. Maybe Sehun wasn’t faithful to Sooyoung either? But he didn’t pass as the type, maybe he was just fooling around, teasing Junmyeon. Lowering my glass, I took my time to examine Sehun’s outfit. His pants were black just like the jacket he had on. But what really brought the attention was his shirt. The shirt was tucked inside the pants, a little lose, but it was a deeper cut, no buttons to where his heart was, showing off his toned chest. The right side of the collar was normal but the left side was wider and longer, coming down until where his pants button was, almost creating the illusion of a tie. His dark hair was swept back totally, no messy strands on his forehead like usually. He looked neat, organized. Junmyeon was in an elegant but simple black suit, showing off his, surprisingly, well built body. I averted my gaze as Sehun suddenly looked at me, gulping nervously when his eyes remained on my form. I wondered where his mother was...but then quickly remembered he said she was gone as I looked back at him. He held my gaze, face blank as he his lips, my jaw tightening at how uncomfortable I was feeling. The table became quiet as suddenly Mr. Oh spoke up again.

“Miso, didn’t you say you had two

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter