27장

Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     

    Sunday passed in a blink of an eye and I was afraid to go to school. Byun Baekhyun and Oh Sehun would be there, and I don’t want to see either. I am, once again, terrified of them. I can’t even realize which I’m more afraid of but a little voice in my head tells me it’s Oh Sehun, because Baekhyun wouldn’t do anything too bad to me as long Sehun is there. There’s a reason why I call Sehun’s friends minions, it’s because Oh Sehun can control them and they will do whatever he asks them.

Bo-Yeong wasn’t feeling better, and while I stayed with her she couldn’t take off the oxygen mask for too long or else she would get very dizzy and feel sick. I’m scared, because she has never gotten this bad, she never stayed sick for longer than two days. I just had this feeling inside of me that something bad was soon going to happen and I couldn’t sleep or function normally. I just wish to speak with someone, to tell someone I’m hurting. Someone who doesn’t know about what’s happening to me really and won’t judge me too hard.

 

Getting very little sleep, I was in the bathroom at six o’clock, getting ready for school even though I still had two hours. At least I could get ready faster and maybe stop by the market before going to school, buy Bo-Yeong’s favourite candy that I know would cheer her up.

Pulling my hair in a half ponytail, I went downstairs to make some breakfast. Mom was just opening the fridge as I entered.

“Chae-Yeong” She said surprised when she saw me “Why are you up so early?”

“I couldn’t sleep” I muttered, stopping at her side.

“Do you want to help me make breakfast?” Mom asked with a small smile, she looked tired as dark circles were prominent underneath her eyes.

“Sure” I nodded, taking out more eggs, breaking them to make an omelette for myself too. Mom fried some bacon, the smell making my stomach churn hungrily. Mom eyed me with a chuckle, turning off the stove when the bacon was done. I washed two tomatoes, slicing them up and placing it in a small plate. We both sat down across from each other the table and ate in silence, enjoying the taste of the food. It was really good, it’s been a while since I ate a normal breakfast...actually, it’s been a while since I ate normally. According to Oh Sehun and his minions I’m too fat and need to lose some weight, so maybe I took his advice for once and did as told.

“Chae-Yeong” Mom looked at me, looking conflicted “I want to speak with you a little”

“Okay” I nodded, pushing my empty plate away a little bit and focused on mom.

“How is work going?” She asked with a small forced smile. I shrugged, playing with my fingers in my lap.

“Pretty good, the payment is good and the other workers are really nice” I said quietly, having a bad feeling about this.

“Maybe--you should quit” Mom said quietly, but face determined.

“What?” My eyes widened as I straightened up in the chair “Why? You know I can’t do that! Bo-Yeong’s treatment is expensive and she needs it and if I work--”

“Her treatment is not working anymore” Mom cut through my words, voice raised.

“What?” I asked, eyes widening more “But--but--this one is stronger and they said--Dr. Do said--mom?”

“I don’t know why” Mom whispered, clutching her head in both hands “They had been giving her this treatment for a whole month and there is no progress--Bo-Yeong is sick and the doctors didn’t give her much time to live”

“No” I whispered, shaking my head “They said this would help--that this would get her back on her feet--”

“But it’s not. Chae-Yeong, I want you to say goodbye to her as best you can--she’s not going to make it” Mom’s voice broke at the end, my heart feeling so heavy suddenly it felt hard to breathe. If I was hurting this much, what about her? She was the mother, Bo-Yeong is her daughter, her pain must be much stronger.

“Mom?” I whispered, biting my lower lip “I don’t want Bo-Yeong to die”

“No one does, but it’s too late--she knows it too” Mom abruptly stood up, taking her plate and turning her back to me. She went to the sink and she sniffled, signaling that she started crying. I looked down at my plate, everything feeling heavy inside me. Why is it like this? Why can’t Bo-Yeong be an ordinary girl and have an easy life? Before I could ask mom why she decided to tell me this she stormed out the kitchen, leaving me alone with my painful thoughts. Slowly raising to my feet, I took my plate and placed it inside the sink, washing it to clear my mind a little bit. I can’t go like this to school, I can’t go feeling like this because I will be distracted and I can’t let that happen. I need that scholarship, for Bo-Yeong.

 

After that long hour passed, I found myself walking inside school, feeling like a weight was placed on my shoulder and my heart was made of steel. Mom’s words kept echoing in my head, that Bo-Yeong didn’t have much time and I should say goodbye to her until I can...but how can I do that? How can I even utter such words?

Too lost in my thoughts, I didn’t pay attention at anything around me and I almost ran into Sooyoung. I was saved last minute as I observed one of my earphones was hanging from the pocket of my coat, so I stopped and placed it back inside, looking up to come face to face with Sooyoung.

“Oh, fatty, what a morning we have” She snickered, but right now I didn’t have the power to put up with her...or anyone.

“Good morning to you too” I muttered, pushing past her. Sooyoung’s eyebrows furrowed as she pursed her lips, following me to my locker.

“What’s your problem?” She scoffed, looking at her nails as I swiftly opened my locker and placed inside my backpack.

“Maybe I’m dying” I muttered without looking at her, feeling like I was really dying on the inside.

“Really?” Sooyoung exclaimed, looking at me wide eyed, eyes that hid so much meaness I would have cried if I wasn’t too occupied with my own pain.

“Does that mean we are getting rid of you?” She exclaimed in the same high pitched voice, making my ears ring.

“You’d be the happiest” I scoffed, picking up my French book and closing my locker.

“At least you got that right” Sooyoung chirped with a wide grin, seeming so happy to hear me suffer.

“Don’t be too happy” I glanced at her, gathering my energy to glare at her “I might come back to haunt you...make your life miserable like you did with mine”

“” Sooyoung hissed, happiness suddenly gone “I’d like to see you try”

“I’d love to try” A small smirk slipped on my lips, pissing Sooyoung further off. She raised her hand, probably wanting to slap me but loud laughter came from behind her. A shiver instantly traveled through my whole body, it was Sehun. And he was heading towards us, an evil smirk on his face. It’s been so long since I saw it on him, it made me shrink back a little, instantly look down. The old Oh Sehun was back and he looked stronger than ever.

“Baby” He pouted at Sooyoung, nose scrunched as he rested one arm around her waist “What are you doing with this fat and ugly girl?”

“Babe” Sooyoung cooed with a grin “Nothing, she was blocking my way”

“Were you, Song Chae-Yeong?” Sehun’s head snapped towards me, actually making me jump. My fingers trembled and I felt I would pass out any second, because of the dark look he was giving me and the heavy feeling inside me because of Bo-Yeong.

“I-I wasn’t--I was just ta-taking my--”

“Why are you stuttering?” Sooyoung laughed loudly, her face looking ugly as she leaned more into Sehun “Babe, did you do something to her I’m not aware of?”

“Don’t worry, baby...nothing too bad” Sehun snickered and he pulled Sooyoung forward, turning her around, kissing her hard on the lips. I looked down, clutching my French book tightly, feeling a sudden urge to slam the book against their heads. There was a loud popping sound and Sooyoung whimpering lowly as Sehun pulled away, eyes glaring so hard his gaze could kill. I didn’t even do anything, why was he looking at me like that? Sehun pushed his girlfriend, walking past me but not without him showing his shoulder into me so harshly that I was thrown into the lockers, breath catching in my throat and eyes burning.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter