35장

Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     

 

    It was a little hard to function after what they yesterday did, and even though I washed off the make up, I could still feel the disgusting products against my skin. And what was even better when I got home later that night after work? Mom telling me to go out and buy some nice dress because she was promoted and now we had to meet her biggest boss since he was back in town. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for her and I know she needed this, this is how she masks her pain of losing Bo-Yeong, by always trying to do better but in no means do I want to go out the house at a Saturday night when I could just hide my ugly face underneath the safe blankets...or maybe even make a sleepover with So Young, those were always fun.

So here I was contemplating what should I do. Go and shop for a new dress like my mother told me to do or rather just sleep a little more and dress in some pants and an elegant looking top. But knowing mom, I knew she’d be disappointed and who was I to ruin such success for her? It was after all, something she worked hard for. So I lay in my bed as my finger hovered over the send button. If I went shopping, I didn’t want to go alone. I don’t have a good taste in things like this and some help wouldn’t be too bad. it up, I pressed the send button and was surprised how fast Wendy answered.

‘I can’t believe you texted me!’ I rolled my eyes, deciding maybe it was better if I didn’t go with that loud mouth.

‘Of course I’ll go shopping with you! Meet at two o’clock at the mall, I’ll be at the front gate!’ And there goes everything. Now I couldn’t even tell her off. Amazing, but next time I’ll know not to bother with it. Raising from the bed, I went to wash my hair, not wanting to bother with it later. But maybe it was best like this, I did promise to myself I would get closer to Wendy and Kyungsoo, and this was just a perfect bonding time. Wendy was a good girl, loud of course, but then Bo-Yeong was always loud, I could deal with her. Bo-Yeong told me to make friends, this was something I could actually do and I wanted her to be happy at least there where she was.

 

While drying my hair, my phone started ringing, surprising me. Seulgi never really called me, so what was her reason now?

“Hey, Chae-Yeong!” She greeted happily, a little too loud.

“Hello” I greeted back “Did something happen? Do I have to go in?”

“No! It’s your day off--actually mine too!” Seulgi answered cheerfully, no doubt she was up to something.

“So is Doyoung alone at the cafe?” My eyebrows furrowed. If he was there alone he won’t be able to handle it all by himself, he’ll need help.

“No! The other girls are with him” Seulgi answered with a chuckle “I was wondering--we could hang out today”

“Why?” I asked confused, sitting down on the edge of my bed.

“Why?” Seulgi sounded offended “Because we are colleagues and you are a nice girl and no one died from having one friend in plus”

“I’m not in search for friends” I cleared my throat, growing uncomfortable.

“Oh wow, no one has been that direct with me” Seulgi chuckled, hurt lacing her tone.

“But I guess you did help me a few times” I sighed, contemplating if it was a good idea going out with two, overly positive person “I’m going shopping later, you can join me if you really want to”

“Really?” Seulgi squealed “Shopping is perfect for bonding!”

“Two o’clock, front gate at the mall” I muttered grumpily, growing sure I’d leave with a headache from the mall.

 

 Despite Spring lingering in the air, it was still cold outside and I found myself shivering as I waited for the two girls in front of the mall, nuzzling more into my green scarf. As I checked my phone to see the time, a blonde head popped up beside me, scaring me.

“Hey!” Wendy called with a big smile, her joy a little too much.

“Hi” I greeted back, looking around, searching for Seulgi.

“Are we going?” She asked as she rubbed her hands together, her jacket too thin for this weather.

“A girl will be joining us, she’s my co-worker” I informed Wendy, craning my neck to see better. Even in high heels I was shorter than most people.

“You work?” Wendy asked surprised “Why did you never tell me?”

“I didn’t find it important” I shrugged, spotting Seulgi as she waved and ran towards us “Plus, I don’t want the whole school knowing”

“You know your secrets are safe with me” Wendy nudged my side as Seulgi came to a stop in front of us, lips in a friendly smile.

“Hey, I’m Seulgi” She shook hands with Wendy as she told her name as well.

“So, Chae is in need of a dress” Seulgi started with a grin.

“What occasion though?” Wendy continued as we walked inside the nicely warmed mall. It was huge and full with people, making me feel uneasy. Was it a better idea to just wear some pants and a top? Probably, but can’t ruin mom’s night. Sighing, I turned towards the two girls who were dangerously eyeing every shop that sold dresses.

“My mom got promoted and now her boss is back in town and he is holding a dinner tonight. It’s nothing big, a few co-workers but families are invited as well--mom wanted me to wear some nice dress” I shrugged, pouting a little that I realized I would have to try on lots of dresses by the looks Seulgi and Wendy had on their faces.

“So I guess the dress should be something fancy, elegant” Seulgi glanced back at me and I confirmed with a nod.

“Any preferences?” Wendy grinned, already eyeing a shop persistently.

“Black dress and off the shoulder” I muttered and it was scary to watch Seulgi and Wendy reach for me at the same time and pull me towards the same shop. Were they connected on some telepathic level? Or were they just so good at guessing people’s thoughts when it came to shopping?

 

My thoughts were confirmed that it was a mistake coming with the two girls shopping. We’ve been in the mall for one and a half an hour and we already went through the first and second floor and it seems like we found nothing, because the girls didn’t like the dresses. I actually liked the very first dress, it was black, reached below knees and had long sleeves even though I asked for an off shoulder. It was discrete and definitely didn’t show much, my taste. But when they girls heard I said I liked them, they burst out in hysterics telling me I was out of my mind. So I was ushered back in the changing cabin and since then I’ve been trying on and trying on different dresses.

“I swear to god” I groaned as Seulgi pulled me towards another expensive looking shop “If we don’t find anything here, I’m going home. My feet are killing me!”

“Honey, you need to suffer for beauty” Seulgi glanced at me, her voice holding so much obviousness. I rolled my eyes, glancing at Wendy w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter