01장

Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

    Today I decided to come to school earlier. I had to revise some papers I had due today, and at this hour they wouldn’t be here yet. I rushed down the hall, avoiding the looks I got from the few people already present. It’s not that I have a problem with people looking at me...it’s how they look and what they whisper. I was invisible for a half semester in my freshman year, but after that all the hell started. For one and a half a year I kept up with all the bullying, two years if you count this too. But it will be alright, he leaves this year. He’s graduating this year, I will be fine, I just need to stay low and survive like I did until now, no big deal…I wish it was no big deal. I opened my locker quietly, placing in the books I needed later and taking out the papers I had for today. Hiding the side of my face behind my long, black hair, I started quietly saying out loud the words I wrote down. I’m not some sort of a nerd, but I need to keep my grades high in order to get my scholarship. That’s one thing I can’t afford losing, money is crucial for us now, so every little money I manage to earn is always welcomed.

As I read over the third row, loud voices echoed down the hallway, making me flinch. My body instantly tensed, but I slightly relaxed when I realized I didn’t know the two voices and one sounded like it was the principal’s one. I took a deep breath and continued reading, minding my own business.

“This is where your lockers are” However, my ears seemed to perk up at the new information “As I said, we don’t differentiate the students here even if it’s an elite school. As long as you mind your own business no one will bother you. You can make friends quickly as well, all the students are very nice” And that was obviously a lie. I’m sure the principal knows about all the bullying going on in his precious elite school and yet he’s never said anything about it. Maybe he’s afraid of the outsiders or the power the rich families hold. It would be, honestly, a disaster if someone blamed one of the riches kids of bullying. I can’t decide who would suffer more, the principal or the one who dared to say such thing.

“I hope you will enjoy your stay here and welcome in town” The principal said with a laugh, as the footsteps stopped beside my locker. I buried my face more into my paper, trying to make myself more invisible, even though I know that’s not possible.

“I have things to do so I can’t show you around, but I’m sure someone will do that--” My breath hitched when I felt a pair of eyes on me. Please, don’t look at me, please.

“Oh, Chae-Yeong!” The principal exclaimed, making me curse under my breath, he saw me “Come here, my dear” I placed the paper back inside my locker and turned towards the principal, seeing two faces smiling brightly towards me. It made me sick to my stomach, I could never smile like that, not in this school at least.

“Good morning, sir” I bowed, making sure my skirt didn’t show more than necessary to the one behind me.

“This is Song Chae-Yeong” The principal explained to the two kids “She is our top student, never failed to remain on the first place. She is just brilliant”

The principal chuckled, looking at me expectantly. I flashed a tiny small, barely visible. He patted the boy on the back as he slowly walked away.

“So” The girl muttered, looking around. She was pretty, her blond hair long. Her bangs were covering her forehead and her eyes were a bluish brown, she looked really beautiful.

“Hi, I’m Jackson” The boy suddenly stepped forward, extending a hand towards me, a charming smile on his lips. He had light brown hair, his eyes a dark brown. He was taller than both me and the other girl. They both were good looking, and similar at face. I glanced at the boy’s extended hand and finally took it, shaking it.

“Like the principal said, my name is Song Chae-Yeong” I said, quickly pulling my hand away, feeling uncomfortable.

“I’m Wendy” The girl waved at me with a smile, her voice strong and determined.

“We just transfered here” Jackson said “But I guess you realized”

“Yeah” I muttered quietly, looking at the girl who was measuring me with her eyes, not even trying to hide it. I took a step back out of reflex, feeling self conscious beside her, she was cute while I look average.

“Could you please show us around?” Wendy asked, making me gulp and look back at Jackson.

“If it’s okay with you” Jackson said with a shrug “We can ask someone else”

“No, it’s fine” I shrugged my shoulders, closing my locker and locking it.

“Oh, I saw you reading something before the principal interrupted you” Wendy spoke up, smiling “You can bring it with you and study while showing us around”

“Oh, that’s not necessary” I muttered, taking my backpack from the floor “I already know it, I was just reading through”

“Well, great” Jackson clapped his hands excitedly “Shall we go?”

“This way” I pointed towards the end of the hallway, that would lead us to the locker rooms.

 

Throughout the walk, the school got more populated and when I glanced at my wrist clock, I realised they would already be here. Going back to our lockers would be a hell, something I wanted to avoid at least today, but I left my papers in the locker. People were glancing curiously at us as I showed the third floor to the strangers, explaining where each labor was. I found out that they are siblings, moved freshly here from Canada. They are half Korean and half Canadian, that would explain why they look slightly different at face. I guess one of their traits would be being energetic and speaking a lot, because both were speaking the whole way, except when I was explaining. I don’t mind that at all, saved me of the awkward aura I would have felt around us. Jackson is one year older, while Wendy is the same age as me. We wouldn’t share many classes though since she’s focused on nature studies, while I’m on the social studies side. Jackson is on the art side, he said he loves drawing and singing. Both him and Wendy come from an art high school, but Wendy confessed her real passion are Maths and Biology.

“May I see your papers?” I extended my hand, the siblings showing their transfer papers in my hands. 147, 149.

“Seems like your lockers are beside mine” I handed them back with a small smile, heading back to our lockers. I clutched the strap of my backpack, heart picking up. I hate this feeling, the constant fear of what’s next. I shouldn’t live like this, I should stop them...but I don’t know how and I would cause myself more unwanted trouble.

“You should smile more” Wendy chirped up, making me look at her.

“What?” I asked confused at her sudden statement.

“You are very pretty, a smile would make you prettier” She said with a smile on her face, encouragingly.

“I don’t have a reason to smile for” I answered, turning back ahead. One more floor and we would be in the hallway.

“You also look like you don’t like us” Jackson quietly added, making me halt my steps. I turned back, eyes a little wider.

“It’s not that I don’t like you” I said with a sigh “I just--I’m not searching for friends and it would be best for you if after today you stayed away” It was the best way I could voice it. I don’t want to sound rude, but it’s best if they leave me alone. Like that, they wouldn’t start picking on them too. I don’t wish that to anyone.

“Why?” Jackson asked confused.

“I don’t wish to share that with you” I turned back around and started walking again, picking my pace up.

“Chae-Yeong--”

“You will get your uniforms tomorrow” I interrupted Jackson, taking the curb to our lockers. I gulped when I saw them at their lockers, lowering my head enough that my hair covered it. The siblings followed me quietly, not asking any questions, making me thankful. I felt eyes on me as I stopped in front of my locker, the loud voices dying down to snickers.

“The lockers are on each side of mine, you can choose which you want” I told quietly Wendy and Jackson, opening my locker, a slight tremor in my fingers. It was too quiet, I know what’s next. I took a deep breath and quickly took out my books and paper for my first period. My locker wasn’t even closed properly when the paper was snatched away from my hand. I abruptly turned around, I can’t afford to lose that paper, I need it. I watched as Baekhyun read over it quickly, scoffing a little. Sehun leaned over his shoulder, eyes scanning the words on the paper. I gulped, taking a little step towards them.

“Give it back” I said, not loud enough for them to hear with all the commotion in the hallway. I knew Wendy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter