Chapter 11: Opinions

KO One Re-Live

"Xiao Yu, what happened with Yu Yan?" Da Dong asked as the three were leaving school.
"Oh yeah, you were so dazed out earlier and then when Yu Yan sat down, it was like a switch was and you came back to reality," Ya Se added.
"I didn't know you were watching me," Xiao Yu replied blankly, hoping they wouldn't ask any further.
"That's not the main point!" Da Dong responded, "You seem like you get on with her if she can put in such a state!"
"Nothing happened," Xiao Yu denied, which of course was a lie.
"You coming late to class for the first time ever and by an hour at that is not 'nothing'." Ya Se continued, "Do you like Jiang Yu Yan?"
"Why is that your concluding question?" Xiao Yu asked.

"Okay, let me change it: Do you like her as a classmate but not romantically?" Ya Se asked.
Xiao Yu nodded, "Yes."
"Really?" Da Dong replied, "But she's so hard to get along with, how do you do it?"
"I wouldn't say I get along with her," Xiao Yu answered, "I've only talked to her a few times but she doesn't seem to like anyone."
"Da Dong!" Tian Xin's voice interrupted as she ran up to the three before they could leave the school gates.

"Ban Dao, what's wrong?" he asked before seeing two small kids behind her.
"Da Dong, Ya Se, Xiao Yu - I'm sorry to ask you of this, I know you must be really busy and all and I know how much you don't want to stay in school and I know-" she ranted.
"Ban Dao, what is it?" Da Dong interrupted, wanting her to get to the point.
"Ah, well you see I have to go to an important staff meeting but I have no one to watch my niece and nephew whilst I'm there." Tian Xin explained, "They're foreigners, from Canada, and their mother, my cousin, is currently busy. I can't leave them alone or they'll be very troublesome! Can the three of you watch them for me, pretty please? I'll only be an hour!"
Da Dong nodded, "Sure, that's fine. We love kids anyway."

He then bent down and looked at the boy, "Hi, what's your name?" he asked in English before getting punched between his legs. He fell over in pain.
"Idiot, I can speak Chinese." the kid huffed whilst his aunt went crazy.
"Oh my god, Jay how could you do that?!" she exclaimed, "Apologise now to Da Dong Ge!"
"I don't want to!" Jay replied, looking down at Da Dong who was stiff from pain, "He's stupid!"

Xiao Yu and Ya Se found themselves backing away; if they weren't careful then they risked losing their private parts. Just the thought of it made them squirm.

The children were twins, the boy was called Jay and the girl was called Joy. Jay was a loud and arrogant 7 year old whereas Joy appeared to be quiet and shy. They were pretty hard to control as they had run off as soon as Tian Xin had left them.

"I want to explore," Jay had announced before disappearing which had aroused alarm amongst the three friends as they could not find him. Whilst looking for Jay, Joy had wandered off by herself and the three friends began panicking.

"They can't have gone far," Xiao Yu muttered to himself after they had decided to split up to cover more ground. He searched in the classrooms on the lower floors whilst Ya Se searched outside and Da Dong looked everywhere else. He couldn't believe how they had lost the twins so quickly and how hard it was to find them; he groaned - he didn't know where to look.

He walked past the music room and his thoughts trailed off to Jiang Yu Yan when he remembered what had happened earlier on in the day. He wondered - where was she now? He heard violent and out of tune piano noises coming from within the room, Yu Yan? he thought, before entering. He looked around to see Jay's small form seated on one of the seats and punching away at the keys. "Oh," he thought as though he was deflating.

He watched Jay continue to hammer his fingers and fists on the keys, creating a horrid sound which was hard to listen to. "You'll break it like that," he felt the words spill out of his mouth.
Jay then stopped playing at turned to him before sticking out his tongue, "I don't care, it's not mine."
"You should respect it then," he replied as he walked towards the 7 year old, "The school paid for all these instruments and the students use them regularly. You should take care of them."
"I don't need a lecture!" Jay yelled angrily, "I will do what I want!"
"Don't make it hard for your aunt," Xiao Yu continued. Normally Xiao Yu would have stopped talking ages ago and left the kid alone but he felt like it was his responsibility to fix this boy because the music room was his favourite place in the whole school, it was like his territory and he wouldn't allow anyone to cause any damage on his turf. "If you break it, she'll have to pay for it." He spent most of his time in the music room and each and every instrument was precious to him whether he played it or not, if one was gone the whole atmosphere for him would change.

"Why?" Jay asked, "She didn't break it."
"Because she is responsible for you," Xiao Yu explained, "Or your mother might have to pay for it and it's really expensive."
Jay glared at him before Xiao Yu sat beside him, "Should I teach you how to play?"
"Who wants to play with you?" Jay sneered as he watched Xiao Yu play a simple nursery rhyme for him. Jay scowled and his attitude reminded Xiao Yu of Yu Yan, She probably would have acted like this too, he thought to himself with a smile.

After a while, Jay found himself learning how to play the song Xiao Yu had played and two spoke through the piano keys. The only words exchanged were Xiao Yu's instructions and after an hour, Jay's music attracted Da Dong, Ya Se and his sister like a magnet. It was as if Xiao Yu's music was magic, it had the power to bring people closer and soften their hearts. He remembered back to the time where his music had started a friendship between Wang Da Dong and Wang Ya Se when they were about to fight. His music had diffused the tension and hostility and replaced it with love and compassion and that was the effect his piano fingers seemed to have. With his piano skills, Xiao Yu found that he could calm people down and fill their hearts with warmth, he was happy that he could help others in this way.

Maybe that was why he played piano for Jiang Yu Yan - on instinct he began to play to penetrate her icy aura with his warmth and kindness. His music was what produced the warm bubbles in his body; there was no other meaning to it. He wanted to embrace Yu Yan with kindness, to show her that kind people did exist in this world and that they were willing to be a part of her life if she just opened her heart towards them; to show her that she was not alone and that she could share her pain to lessen the burden on her shoulders; to show her that some people just wanted to help her; to show her that he cared.

Wait - he cared?

Xiao Yu was thrown off by his own thoughts which reflected in his piano playing when he pressed an odd key and lost where he was in the melody. He was so immersed in his thoughts that he forgot what he was playing, forgot what he was doing, forgot his surroundings, forgot everything around him... why was Jiang Yu Yan on his mind? Why did thinking about her throw him off so badly? He just wanted to be friends with her. He wanted to befriend her. If he did that then the tension in Zhong Ji Yi Ban would be reduced and everyone could work together to deal with the problem at hand. He would be helping Da Dong like this, helping Ya Se and helping himself.

But then he realised that he was not one to actively talk to people. He was a quiet person and only opened up around his close friends, there was no way he'd be able to talk to her without feeling awkward and receiving curses from her. But he'd done it before: he had talked to her before; he'd said more words than he'd ever say to anyone. He thought back to those few moments, his mouth had run off on its own, he had no control over his words to her. But he wouldn't talk to her alone this time; he would share his idea with his brothers so they could become friends with her too. He knew it was possible because deep down he knew Yu Yan had kindness in her heart, however little it was: it was there. It didn't matter if that spark of kindness was a dying flame or if it was its birth, he and his brothers would cultivate it and help it grow. They had to show support to their new classmate and be the better people in their situation even if Yu Yan acted arrogantly. She was still after all an official member of Zhong Ji Yi Ban and she had proven her loyalty to them no matter how many times she would avoid admitting it.

Suddenly, a jolt of pain shot up the lower region of his body which yanked him out of his train of thoughts. Xiao Yu went stiff with pain in his lower private area and he looked over at Jay who blew imaginary smoke off his fist. "You were ignoring me!" he exclaimed. Xiao Yu looked at him, biting down on his lip in attempt to suppress the pain as his friends and Joy walked into the room. "Oooowww," he winced, "Why is such a painful moment in the script?" he asked, "Couldn't I have had some protection?" he complained, looking up at the camera that was looking down on him, filming.

"The writer is a sadist," Da Dong pointed out, "She's probably smiling right now!"
Ya Se flipped through his copy of the script for KO One 1.5, "It's not in the script," he announced.
"I just wanted to spice things up a bit!" Jay stated, laughing sheepishly. When no one laughed, he sunk into his seat pouting, "Wasn't funny? Okay."