Chapter 97: Separation

KO One Re-Live

"Dad, remember that girl I told you about?" Xiao Yu asked his father, staring at his grave. He smiled and turned to Yu Yan who stood beside him, holding his hand. "Well here she is. She's the girl you saved all those years ago: Jiang Yu Yan. And she's the girl I love."
Yu Yan just smiled awkwardly because she didn't know what to say if she had to say anything at all. "Ding Papa..." she began in a nervous tone, "Xiao Yu's a big fish now, he'll be able to exlore the huge oceans on his own. You can rest in peace because I'll stay with him. If anything happens, I'll fish him out of the water for you."

Xiao Yu released a soft chuckle at his girlfriend's obsession with fish. "I will die like that," he told her with a smile, "Fish can't survive out of water."
Yu Yan just shrugged, "Oh well."
"Oh well?" Xiao Yu repeated in disbelief, "What if I die?" he questioned playfully.
"Then you can be cooked and be eaten!" Yu Yan replied confidently.
Xiao Yu just sweat dropped at her.
Yu Yan smiled at him, "Aiyo, you get what I mean! Forget the technical inaccuracies!"
Xiao Yu laughed again and poked her forehead, "I know," he reassured her. 

He stared at her smiling face, something she now did more often, and felt so lucky that she was with him and by his side. He reached out to her face and gently tucked some loose strands of hair behind her ear. "I love you," he whispered with a perpetual smile.
"I know you do," was Yu Yan's response.
"I don't want to part from you," Xiao Yu continued and Yu Yan let out a sigh.
"It'll be worth it in the end," she told him, "We'll have the rest of our lives to be together after that time has passed."
The King of Endurance could only smile sadly at her before pulling her into an embrace and resting his chin on top of her head. 

[Flashback]

"Jiang Yu Yan still has to be punished for her crimes."

"Even though she helped us defeat Wu Geng Lin?" Ya Se questioned, "She's on our side though, she won't commit anymore crimes!"
Selina sighed, "Letting her go unpunished despite her changing sides still will not grant justice to those she has hurt," she explained, "However, Gou Gou Meng Zhu has taken her help to us into consideration and has reduced her sentence." 
Xiao Yu swallowed in fear. He didn't want her to leave him again. Yu Yan noticed the fear in his eyes and tightened her grip of his hand to reassure him. "How long?" she asked nervously.

"10 years," Gou Gou Meng Zhu revealed regretfully, "Though it is better than the life imprisonment your sisters have been given."
"Why is it so long?" Xiao Yu whispered, feeling his heart tighten.
"You do not have to worry about her treatment, Ding Xiao Yu," Selina replied, "Ella and I will be there for her every day and we will provide her with an education so that she will be able to read and write. The next ten years will be spent in the form of reformation and education rather than imprisonment and retribution."
"When does my sentence start?" Yu Yan inquired.
"As soon as you are discharged," Gou Gou answered.
Yu Yan nodded, "Sounds good with me."

"Yu Yan," Xiao Yu immediately cut in, worriedly, "You're just accepting this?"
Yu Yan smiled faintly at him and nodded, "This punishment is as lenient as it is. I deserve a much harsher punishment for all the crimes my father and I have committed so I have to accept it to express my gratitude for Meng Zhu's mercy," she explained before grinning widely, "And in ten years I'll be a new and improved Jiang Yu Yan!" she added enthusiastically, despite the sadness in her heart.



[End of Flashback]

Xiao Yu sighed, "10 years is a long time," he said as they walked through the park.
Yu Yan nodded, "Will we still qualify for that free meal?" she asked, looking up to him.
"We're not breaking up," Xiao Yu replied firmly, "So no."
Yu Yan smiled before stopping.
"What's wrong?" Xiao Yu asked her. He watched her crouch down beside a patch of soil. "What are you doing?" he asked curiously. Yu Yan didn't answer him and instead started digging a hole in the soil. Once the hole she had dug was deep enough, she brought out two spheres from her pocket. 

"I want to bury my glass eyes," she then explained, dropping the glass spheres into the hole, "Even though my father was a terrible person, he was still the first person who I loved. I can't completely forget him. So I want to create a sort of memorial for him and my mother," she continued as she began covering the eyes with dirt. 
Xiao Yu crouched down beside her and saw the sadness reflected in her eyes, "I understand how you feel," he replied as he began helping her bury the eyes, "He went through the trouble to find a way for you to gain your sight back: he must have loved you too."
Jiang Yu Yan only nodded silently.


~*~*~


Graduation was here. It was a day the students of Zhong Ji Yi Ban had been either anticipating or dreading. It was supposed to be a happy day but Jiang Yu Yan could not graduate and neither could her friends. It was the day Yu Yan would leave her friends for 10 years and it was also the day of Mojie's Moon Viewing festival - the day when Mojie and the Iron Dimension would join together. Because of this Jiu Wu had summoned Wang Da Dong, Wang Ya Se and Ding Xiao Yu to assist him and the Tie Ke Imperial Army in suppressing all the demons as they needed all the help they could get. It was a day of departing and separation.

Yu Yan stood with Da Dong, Ya Se, Xiao Yu, Selina, Ella, Xiu, the Cai sisters and Da Dong's parents. Next to them was the dimension door.

Currently, Wang Mama and Wang Papa were giving Yu Yan and Da Dong some encouraging words and they hugged them. "Make sure you return, okay?" Yu Yan told the boys and Ya Se nodded.
"Of course we will," he replied before turning to Wu Xiong, "Wait for me, okay?"
Wu Xiong nodded with a smile before giving him a quick peck on the lips.

Yu Yan smiled at the couple before she turned to Xiao Yu and threw her arms around him. "Don't miss me too much, okay?" she smirked, looking into his eyes.
Xiao Yu smiled at her and her head, "I'm going to miss you alot. I wish we could have spent more time together," he told her as he hugged her back.
"Make sure Jiu Wu Meng Zhu doesn't back you up against a wall like how he did to my golden monkey of a brother," she joked with a smile even though her eyes shone with tears. 
Gently, Xiao Yu wiped away her tears with his thumb, "You're the only one who can back me up against a wall," he chuckled.
She gently punched his chest, "Stupid," she muttered with a faint smile. 
"Don't cry. This isn't a good bye forever, we'll see each other again soon," he reminded her even though he too was feeling sad. 
Nodding, Yu Yan inhaled his comforting scent. "I won't eat a single fish for ten years," she said causing Xiao Yu to laugh. 

Ya Se rolled his eyes, "Enough talking!" he exclaimed at them, "Hurry up and kiss!" 
Da Dong nodded and the two of them began clapping and chanting "kiss" over and over again until everyone present joined them. Both Xiao Yu and Yu Yan blushed. Xiao Yu lifted up Yu Yan's chin before pressing his lips against hers. As soon as they did, everyone around them whooped and cheered. 

It was a long and passionate kiss that held the strong emotions of the two lovers. It contained all their love and sadness, fears and worries, happiness and hope for it would be their last kiss for a very long time.

When they broke their kiss, Da Dong spoke up as he swung his arm around Xiao Yu's shoulders. "Yu Yan, don't worry. We'll make sure he doesn't fall for any other girls," he laughed.
"He better not," Yu Yan threatened with a smile.

"Yu Yan, it's time to leave now," Ella came in. 
"We should get going now as well, Jiu Wu Meng Zhu is waiting for us," Xiu added as he turned to the trio. The four nodded, bid their final goodbyes and shared a final long group hug. 

"Don't forget to visit me," Yu Yan told her friends including the Cai sisters.
"We won't," Wu Xiong told her with a smile.
"Take care, Yu Yan," Yun Han added.
"See you in ten years, Yu Yan," the three boys said as they stepped through the dimension door. In a matter of seconds they were gone. After that, Yu Yan left with Ella and Selina.


~*~*~


As soon as the boys arrived in the iron dimension, Da Dong looked over at Xiao Yu who was wiping his eyes. "I miss her already," he chuckled.
Da Dong put a hand on his friend's shoulder, "I know it's going to be hard but you have us with you all the way," he reminded him.
Ya Se nodded, "And in ten years, we'll throw her the biggest welcome back party, okay?"
Xiao Yu nodded.

~*~*~



"Yu Yan... don't cry," Ella spoke softly to the girl.
"I'm not crying!" Yu Yan denied quickly, sniffing strongly and wiping her eyes.
Selina just smiled at her, "It is better to let it all out, Yu Yan," she told her in a warm tone. As if on cue, Yu Yan couldn't keep in her tears anymore and her eyes became overflowed with water.

Ella and Selina hugged her to comfort her.