Chapter 40: Fortune Teller

KO One Re-Live

"You're in luck, we've recently employed an yi neng doctor and she just happens to be in today," the nurse informed as she drew some blood from Yu Yan. "After all these attacks on you yi neng xing zhe's, our medical department has been in panic after not knowing how to deal with the side effects. So we've employed a range of yi neng specialist doctors to help with treating yi neng xing zhe's." she explained as she withdrew the needle from Yu Yan's skin.

After snacking on some egg tarts, Xiao Yu had brought Yu Yan to a local clinic for a check up and treatment. Her broken bones were properly treated after an x-ray and wrapped in a cast. Although she was against seeing a doctor, Yu Yan remained obedient and listened to Xiao Yu. After a few hours, she became tired and bored but she managed to keep shut for Xiao Yu's sake.

"Thank you," Xiao Yu bowed his head and the nurse smiled.
"That's alright," she replied, "I'll just call her in to have a look at your friend." The nurse then applied a plaster on Yu Yan before turning to a telephone that sat on her desk.

Xiao Yu, feeling tired, looked at Yu Yan who yawned. She looks cute when she yawns, he thought with a smile before his eyes widened, Wait Xiao Yu, what are you thinking?!
"Yeah, what were you thinking?" Yu Yan questioned.
Embarrassed, Xiao Yu stuttered, "You heard my thoughts?" he asked.
"What were you thinking by bringing me here?!" She scoffed and crossed her arms, "It's been so long and I'm bored, tired and hungry! All these tests one after another are so draining!" she complained and Xiao Yu breathed a sigh of relief, glad that she did not hear his thoughts. Yu Yan then turned to him, "What did you think I meant just now?" she asked, suspicious.

"Oh, she's here!" the nurse chimed as a lady walked in through the door into the room, saving Xiao Yu from having to reply. The lady - the yi neng doctor - spent about another half an hour trying some healing spells on Yu Yan which helped her regain more control over her muscle movements. After that, the two left the clinic and went out to eat lunch.

 


~*~*~
 


Xiao Yu looked back at Yu Yan as they walked down the streets. She stopped and huffed, "Little Fish," she began before facing down at her feet, "I can't go very far without my cane," she admitted quietly, slightly uncomfortable.
Xiao Yu smiled and put her hand on his arm, "You can hold onto my arm, I'll support you so you don't trip or bump into something," he said.
Yu Yan wrinkled her face as she gritted her teeth, thinking about whether to take up his offer. Holding onto someone would indeed help her but if she did, it would affect her pride. Reluctantly, she sighed and held onto his arm, "Thanks," she replied. A smile then formed on her face when she held onto his arm.

"Where are you little fish?" a woman asked and immediately Xiao Yu and Yu Yan turned around. Xiao Yu looked at a young woman sitting at a table with a red table cloth at the side of the road. She was wearing a short and curly pink wig with a Christmas tree costume. "Huh?" he blurted out, confused at the woman. Yu Yan also gave the woman a weird look as she was the only one who called Xiao Yu 'Little Fish.'

The woman then looked up and noticed the two staring at her. opened wide before she became an eccentric mess with a large smile. "Young couple over there!" she beamed, excited, "Come over here!"
Taken aback, Xiao Yu pointed at himself, "Uh… us???" he stuttered.
"Yes you two! Classmates come over here!" the lady excitedly patted her table, "Come quickly!"
Cautiously, Xiao Yu walked over to the table slowly with Yu Yan, "Uh, we're not a couple-" he laughed awkwardly before he was cut off.
The lady grabbed both their hands and placed them on the table, "Let me read your fortunes!" she bubbled wild eyed.
"Our fortunes...?" Xiao Yu repeated as he lifted a brow. Her crazy facial expressions and overexcited conduct sent an uncomfortable shiver down Xiao Yu's spine and he felt intimidated by this odd lady.


Creeped out, Yu Yan tugged on Xiao Yu's arm, "Let's go, she's a wacko," she whispered into his ear. The lady then began drawing swirls on both their palms with her fingers. Disturbed by this hysterical woman, Xiao Yu and Yu Yan retracted their hands but then she burst out loudly with a flittering gaze. She shot out of her seat, causing the two to jump. She leaned in towards them slowly, "I see red!" she yelled at their faces, "Red for a passionate and fiery love between you!" she ended in a quiet whisper before wiggling her eyebrows at them.

Instantly, red shot through Xiao Yu and Yu Yan's cheeks and they blushed. "That's it, we're leaving!" she hissed, feeling flustered. Love? Between me and Little Fish? Ha, that's impossible.
Xiao Yu looked a Yu Yan with wide eyes, wanting to leave as well. Love? That's impossible, I only see Yu Yan as a good friend.


But before the two could walk away, the lady grabbed onto their wrists tightly, "There's a happy ending just waiting for you at the end of a rough and rocky road!" the fortune teller declared with a disturbing smile, "But!" She waved a finger at the two, making Xiao Yu back away, "But! A barrier of lies and secrets are preventing you from even travelling down that dangerous road together!" she yelled at them.
"Do you have to be so loud?!" Yu Yan barked with furrowed brows, trying to cover up her sudden nervousness. She then faced Xiao Yu slowly as Xiao Yu turned to look at her. The two then faced each other for a few seconds in silence.

"Don't look at each other!" the lady whispered loudly, "You're both hiding secrets from each other! Some may be bigger than others but there are still secrets in this relationship!" she boomed almost darkly.
Xiao Yu's eyes widened and all the blood drained away from his face. Does this weird lady... know...?
Yu Yan felt her blood run cold and she slammed her hand down on the table, "Just what nonsense are you spitting out?! Who the hell do you think you are?! All you stupid fortune tellers are fakes who have nothing better to do!" she yelled, angrily and irritated.

The fortune smiled and leaned back in her chair. She then put out her hand in front of them, "That will be 1000NT$, please."
"What?!" Xiao Yu exclaimed, "Wasn't it free?" he asked.
The fortune teller tutted and shook her head before pointing to a cardboard sign that she had secretly just put up when the two weren't looking.
"'Fortunes told for 1000NT$ per person'?!" Xiao Yu read aloud before he felt a vein popping in his head, "That sign wasn't there before!"
The fortune teller blew a raspberry at him, "Well it is now! Pay up classmates, that'll be 2000NT$ in total. Pay or I'll call the police. I only accept cash." she smirked at them.
Yu Yan's mouth opened wide before she gritted her teeth, "You're outrageous!" she burst out, "Who in their right mind would pay so much for something they didn't even ask for?!"
"You two obviously!" The fortune teller laughed before her face turned serious. "I'll make a deal with you," she said in a whisper as she leaned in closer to them. "If you two don't become a couple within 10 years then I'll give your money back and treat you to a meal! How's that?" she asked before smiling sweetly at them.

An angry tick mark appeared on Yu Yan's forehead, "Ten years?! Who the hell is going to come find you in ten damn years?!" she questioned in a loud voice.
"You won't obviously!" the fortune teller snorted and burst out into stitches, "You two will definitely fall in love and get your happy ending unless you die on that rocky road," she shrugged as though it was nothing.
Utterly unimpressed by this fortune teller, Xiao Yu couldn't help but let out a few unconvinced chuckles.
The fortune teller was then close to his face and leaned in so close that their noses were touching, "You don't believe in my fortune telling skills?" she asked.
Xiao Yu retreated back a step, "No, I don't," he replied even though her guess about secrets had thrown him off for he did hold a secret from his friend deep in his heart.

The fortune teller sighed and sat back down in her seat. "I guess I have no choice then," she said and the two looked at her with confused expressions. "POLICE! POLICE! SOMEONE CALL THE POLICE! HELP ME! POLICE! I’M BEING ROBBED!" She screamed at the top of her lungs before Yu Yan quickly slapped her hand over the woman's mouth. Xiao Yu looked down the road and saw two policemen walking towards them. Without a second thought, he slammed down 2000NT$ onto the table before grabbing Yu Yan's hand and walking away from the fortune teller quickly, wanting to get as far away from her as possible.

Once Xiao Yu and Yu Yan were out of sight, the fortune teller smiled as she looked at the notes of money. She looked at her cardboard sign when the wind knocked it over. The fallen sign revealed a small rubber fish and the fortune teller beamed brightly and grabbed it, "Little Fish, there you are!" she exclaimed happily, "Did you know you helped me earn 2000NT$?!" she giggled as she held her toy fish and admired the money in her hand.

Suddenly, a black van stopped at the road side and a bunch of nurses rushed out. They ran towards the fortune teller quickly and grabbed onto her. "Xiao Yao!" One of them exclaimed, "Why did you run away from the mental asylum again?! We've been running around everywhere looking for you!"
Xiao Yao, who acted as a fortune teller blew a raspberry at them and held out the money, "Little Fish got lost but he helped me earn money!" she laughed and spun around.
As the nurses helped get her into the van, the nurse who had spoken looked over at the cardboard sign. After reading it, she sighed, "I feel sorry for those unlucky people who have just gotten scammed."

 


~*~*~
 

 

Xiao Yu stopped walking when he realised that he was still holding Yu Yan's hand.
Yu Yan bumped into Xiao Yu from behind at his abrupt stop. "Hey, don't just stop without warning!" she exclaimed.
Xiao Yu blushed and let go of her hand quickly, "Sorry," he replied.
Yu Yan heard the fortune teller's words echo in her head and she stepped away from Xiao Yu. "It's okay," she muttered, feeling shy all of a sudden.
Xiao Yu turned around to look at her, "Uh, let's go get some lunch," he said and turned back around.
"Hey, don't leave me behind," Yu Yan replied as she jogged over to catch up to him. Then she reached out for his arm, to support herself but then she stopped. Stupid fortune teller! Now I can't do anything or it'll have a double meaning! She groaned loudly, frustrated.

"What's wrong?" Xiao Yu asked and turned around. A faint blush lingered on his cheeks.
Yu Yan grumbled under her breath, "Nothing, let's go," she said, pushing past him. But despite her advanced level of echolocation, Yu Yan's emotions and thoughts were muddled up, causing her to get flustered easier than usual - all because of that fortune teller. That fluster caused her to bump into a lamp post.

Watching her bump into the lamp post, Xiao Yu found himself laughing. Yu Yan cursed as she rubbed her head, "What the hell are you laughing at?!" she spat at him before he took her hand.
"Hold my hand and you won't bump into things anymore," he chuckled, holding onto her hand. He turned back around to try and avoid looking at her face. Because of the fortune teller, he couldn't look at Yu Yan how he usually did without feeling awkward. Just go back to how things used to be and pretend meeting that crazy lady never happened, he told himself.
Yu Yan sighed, trying to ignore her heart that was beating furiously. I better live another ten years so I can hunt down that crazy woman and beat her to a pulp! She followed Xiao Yu quietly, holding his hand.



~*~*~
 

 


Xiao Yu stared at his chopsticks that lay still in his untouched bowl of chow mein. An uncomfortable air hung between him and Yu Yan who sat quietly in the restaurant. Hungry, Yu Yan devoured her soup quickly - perhaps it was her way of ignoring the awkward atmosphere. Xiao Yu slowly picked up his chopsticks and began eating. He then glanced at Yu Yan who wasn't stopping to breathe of chew as she ate. Should I believe the fortune teller's words? he thought as he stared at her, she guessed correctly about the secret. If she is correct, then what is Yu Yan hiding? I don't want to doubt her and think that she is hiding something bad. I have to trust her right? But we're also going to fall in love? That's crazy, I can't believe that. I don't have such feelings for her. He then picked up his glass to have a drink but then nothing came out. He looked into his glass and remembered that he had drunk it all to avoid talking to Yu Yan. He sighed and looked at her again, What will I feel for her in the future? If I'm to fall in love with her then what do I feel for her now? he asked himself.

"This is pathetic," Yu Yan snapped, bringing Xiao Yu out of his thoughts. "Why are we so awkward around each other just because of what that stupid lady said?!" she questioned. "If we don't like each other then what's the problem?! We both know that fortune teller was just talking nonsense, so why are we letting it get to us?"
Xiao Yu smiled, "You're right. Let's just pretend that whole incident never happened, okay?"
Yu Yan smirked, "What incident?"
Xiao Yu chuckled, "You should eat more and regain some of your energy." He then used his chopsticks to put some of his noodles into her empty bowl.
"I never planned to stop eating," Yu Yan grinned, "It's your treat."
Xiao Yu smiled, "Of course."