Chapter 53: Switched Pt.2

KO One Re-Live


Tian Xin sighed as she dismissed the class for lunch. She looked over at Da Dong, Ya Se and her brother who had completely collapsed into a deep sleep as soon as the lesson began; at Yu Yan who was too happy and awake for the first time ever - she contributed to the lesson way too much and it was just too weird; at Xiao Yu who had been a distraction as she was teaching until he suddenly fell asleep. She was glad the lesson was over and happily found her way to the door to escape from her students.

Yu Yan smiled as she slowly packed away the stone items into her bag as they were the only things out on her desk. She then got out her lunch box that Wang Mama had made for her. Before she opened it, she turned around and knocked on Xiao Yu's desk, "Little Fish, wake up," she said softly.
Xiao Yu's eyes fluttered open and his cheeks became tinted with pink as Yu Yan was so close to him when she leaned over his desk. He still wasn't used to seeing her dressed like this. "Afternoon," he muttered before standing up. He grabbed her hand and lightly pulled her up from her chair. "Da Dong, Ya Se, Ah Guang Ge, let's go," he spoke up, knocking his fist on each of their desks to wake them up.

Da Dong slowly stood up, "Can we practice after we've eaten?" he asked, yawning.
"No, we have don't have time to waste," Xiao Yu replied, "You can eat in between practice," he then turned around and picked up his and Yu Yan's bag and led her out of the classroom. Yu Yan would have been happy that he was holding her hand but she was not used to his sudden baldness and she found it hard to stay obedient and just follow him quietly. Xiao Yu, too, was feeling a bit weird. Yu Yan was too quiet and too happy; he felt it to be odd that she didn't lash out at him for pulling her around without her permission.

As the group of friends tuned the guitars and prepared their instruments in Dong Cheng Wei's warehouse, Yu Yan sat down alone eating her lunch, listening to the four boys practice.

"Hey Da Dong, why don't I play the electric guitar?" Xiao Yu suggested as he picked up an electric guitar and put it around his neck.
"But you're the only one who can play the keyboard," Da Dong replied, "Who's going to play the keyboard if you won't?"
Xiao Yu smiled and played the intro to 'KO One' really loudly, causing Yu Yan to cover her ears in pain. "It's easy, Ya Se I can teach you," Xiao Yu added as he looked at Ya Se.
Yu Yan then interrupted, "Little Fish, I think you should just stick to the keyboard, it suits you better," she spoke in a kind voice.
"And don't you have your piano audition today?" Ya Se asked, "You should use the keyboard as practice."
Xiao Yu sighed and took off the electric guitar, "Sure," he muttered before walking over to the keyboard.

Once they were all set, Da Dong started off the song by playing the first few seconds of the intro of 'KO One' before Hong Guang joined him with the drums. Xiao Yu then joined in with the keyboard and the four then began to sing. They sang just that song for a couple of rounds and Yu Yan listened to Xiao Yu's voice. She knew that all four of them were singing but the voices of the other three were just tuned out of her ears and she could only hear Xiao Yu.

They then decided to take a break to eat. The five of them sat in circle on the ground and opened up their lunch boxes. Xiao Yu laughed when Da Dong revealed a box of failed cookies, whilst he opened up his own box to reveal Yu Yan's perfect cookies. "Are you two going to eat only cookies for lunch?" Ya Se asked and Da Dong frowned.
"It's the only food at my house!" he exclaimed.
"I feel sorry for you," Hong Guang laughed.
"I'll give you one cookie to make you feel better," Xiao Yu smiled and handed him a cookie.
Da Dong returned it to him, "Yu Yan made them for you, you should eat them," he replied.
"I'm sure he doesn't mind," Yu Yan piped in, "I can make him more at home if he wants."
Da Dong shook his head, "Honestly, I'm sick of cookies," he admitted, closing the lid of his lunch box. "You guys eat, I'll go buy something from the shop quickly," he continued as he stood up.

"You can have half of my lunch box," Yu Yan offered, sliding her almost uneaten box to him, "Your mum made it so you should have some. I'm not really hungry," she added.
"Wow, I haven't seen real food in a long time," he gasped, "But it's yours. You have it."
"But where are you going to go?" Hong Guang asked, "It's raining quite heavily right now."
"Oh yeah, there's a typhoon coming right?" Ya Se asked and Xiao Yu nodded.
"It's expected to hit tomorrow," he added.
Da Dong then sat back down and picked up a pair of chopsticks, "Okay then I won't be polite," he smiled at Yu Yan who gave him her lunchbox.

As they ate they shared light conversations. "This has been bugging me for a while now," Ya Se spoke up, "Why did the two of you have such sudden transformations? You're acting so unlike yourselves," he asked as he looked at Yu Yan and Xiao Yu.
Da Dong nodded in agreement, "Yu Yan has become a louder version of Xiao Yu and Xiao Yu has become a nicer version of Yu Yan," he added.
"A... nicer version of me?" Yu Yan repeated slowly, pushing away the small tick mark that was forming on her forehead. Instead she smiled it down, "Change is inevitable Da Dong," she responded.
"Not so unexpectedly though!" he retorted.
Xiao Yu shrugged, "I like this style," he said.
"Are you two playing some sort of joke?" Hong Guang asked as he sank his teeth into his burger.
"Why would we play a joke? I didn't know he would change his self either," Yu Yan admitted.
"The two of you might like your new style but we don't," Da Dong exclaimed, "I don't like looking at Xiao Yu and seeing Narcissist's face on my body!"
Xiao Yu then cracked a smile, "Then I'll stay like this for longer then."
"The only change in Yu Yan that we don't like is her character but Xiao Yu, your new character and appearance is bothersome," Ya Se continued, "I know we're being pretty harsh, but you changed for the worst, please go back to your usual self."

Xiao Yu smiled and stood up, "We'll see. We should get going now," he said as he bent over to pick up his things.
Yu Yan followed him, "I'll use my super speed to go to school and get us some umbrellas. I'll be back soon," she explained as she walked over to the entrance.
Xiao Yu grabbed onto her wrist, "Leave it, we can't let a girl go out in the rain for a bunch of guys."
"That's right, we'll go together," Da Dong added as he took off his blazer and placed it over his head. The other three did the same.
"I don't have anything to cover my head with-" she began but then Xiao Yu put an arm around her waist and brought her closer to him and under his blazer.
He smiled down at her, "Stay close to me or you'll get wet."

"Hey Narcissist, I don't like his change but I'm liking how he's taking the initiative," Da Dong whispered to Ya Se, "What did you say to him to increase his confidence?"
Ya Se shrugged, "I didn't say anything. But he's lucky that with Yu Yan's new character, she's going to respond nicely. How did you get her to be like that?" he whispered back. Da Dong shrugged as well.
Hong Guang then popped in between them, "Then their changes aren't all that bad, right?" he commented.

A surprised "Hey" escaped Yu Yan's lips as she stumbled into Xiao Yu. She then felt his arm snake around her and hold up his blazer over both of their heads - her body was pressed into his and the closeness caused her to blush. "Let's go!" Da Dong exclaimed as he and the other two hurried out into the rainy and windy outdoors.
"We'll go slower," Xiao Yu spoke up as they walked outside. He looked down at her to see her nod a little.

The two of them splashed through the rain together, completely ignoring the three guys up ahead. Yu Yan felt uncomfortable; she was so close to Xiao Yu that his breathing was 100 times louder and she could hear a fast heartbeat but she didn't know whether it was hers or his. Running in the rain so close to him... is such a warm feeling, I'll miss it, she thought and then smiled. I know this moment between us doesn't mean anything to you Little Fish, but let it be important to me.
I’m not someone anyone could like, definitely someone you wouldn't like romantically. After Ye Zi told me I could freely like you, I couldn't help but become someone that would catch your attention. I wanted to be more like An Qi even though she is the complete opposite of what I am. But I guess all my efforts were for nothing since you too changed for some reason. You've been treating me indifferently, perhaps even more distant than usual. I wonder if you're okay, maybe you're just nervous for your piano audition tonight and I understand that. I hope you don't forget this simple happiness we've shared over the week after I leave. But maybe it's best if you forget me because you'll find out the horrible truth about me soon and knowing you've forgotten me will spare both you and me the pain.
Her smile slowly faded and her steps slowed down. Her train of thoughts dissolved away as she came out from Xiao Yu's blazer and felt the rain landing on her head.

Xiao Yu down at her and slowed down. He quickly covered Yu Yan with a fading smile, Yu Yan, I'm sorry. I've been such a coward. After finding out that in our future is a difficult road from the fortune teller, I've been avoiding my own feelings. I didn't want to go through any hardships but I realised that you are worth it. I'm sorry I've taken so long to understand my feelings and bravely accept them. I don't believe that fortune teller but a part of me wants our fortune to come true even though we both agreed to forget that incident. I know you could never like someone like me so I wanted to become someone you could fall for. I'm sorry for taking advantage of you like this but I could have never had the confidence to be so close to you as my normal cowardly self. I'm sorry being selfish but please give me a chance to like you.

"You slow coaches!" Da Dong called out to them from under the roof of the school, "Hurry up or you'll become drenched potatoes!"
Xiao Yu and Yu Yan hurried over to the shelter and once they arrived, Xiao Yu got out a tissue and began wiping Yu Yan down with gentle dabs. "It's okay, I can do it myself," Yu Yan reassured, taking the tissue from him and dabbing her hair.
"Narcissist~" Da Dong wailed in a loving voice, "I'm all wet too, can you dry me too?" he gushed.
Ya Se smirked and brought out a handkerchief from his pocket, "Of course I will baby~" he answered lovingly before scrubbing Da Dong's face with it quite aggressively.

Hong Guang just chuckled and shook his head at their antics.