Chapter 29: Consequence

KO One Re-Live

Da Dong continued to chase Yu Tong through the market. Yu Tong groaned, annoyed at the thickness of her pursuer’s skin. "Why won't he give up already?!" she exclaimed, "I'm weakened and tired! For god’s sake, it's been nearly 10 minutes already! And this idiot has the police chasing him as well!" She huffed as she jumped over a high wall, confident that Da Dong would end the chase there. But no, Da Dong did the opposite. He was going too fast to stop anyway and if he pulled the brakes so suddenly at such a high speed, he knew he could end up dead, especially because he wasn't wearing any protective clothing. Instead, Da Dong drove into the wall, smashing through it and continuing the chase on the other side.

Yu Tong dead panned. "I've never met someone as stubborn as you!" she turned around to yell at him, throwing balls of yi neng at him to try and slow him down so that she could escape. She ran into a corner and into a children's playground. Yu Tong looked around at all the children playing on the jungle gym; He wouldn't really follow me here, right?

"Children! Out of the way!" Da Dong screamed as all the children and their parents screamed and ran away. Da Dong's hands flew to his brakes but before he could even slow down, his motorcycle went up the slide. The slide acted as a ramp and propelled Wang Da Dong further.
An angry tick mark popped up on Yu Tong's forehead as she breathed in an out slowly to keep her sanity.

Eventually, they arrived at a four way crossing; on one road was a police barricade that had been set up to stop and arrest Wang Da Dong, on the road to its left was the ambulance that Ya Se and Sha Jie were travelling in with the victim of the yi neng mugging, on the road opposite to the police barricade was Yu Yan running aimlessly with Xiao Yu using her super speed.

The people at each intersection could see each other but because they were all travelling and incredibly high speeds, they could not slow down to avoid colliding.

As soon as Da Dong neared Yu Yan and was at a close enough distance, she jumped over his motorcycle, pulling him off it with her free hand. Yu Yan then jumped into the ambulance through its window, smashing the glass and leaving through the other side with Ya Se clinging onto her, holding on for dear life.

How it all happened was unexplainable and happened by chance, it wasn't planned out nor was it predicted. But all four of them reunited at that intersection, before crashing into the police barricade. Like bowling balls, the four of them skid through the floor, crashing through the barricade and police cars, rolling and eventually scattering across the ground. Police officers quickly surrounded them and pointed their weapons at them.

Ya Se winced as he sat up, injured and bleeding after the collision. He looked over at his friends, confused, "Da Dong...? Xiao Yu...? Yu Yan...?" he spluttered out.
Xiao Yu groaned in pain as he rubbed the back of his neck; he looked over at Yu Yan who still lay on the ground unmoving, "Yu Yan?" he called out.
Yu Yan shakily lifted up a weak hand to let him now that she was okay, "...I'm cool..." she coughed, pushing herself up.
"What... just happened?" Da Dong asked, rubbing his aching shoulder, before looking over at his motorcycle that crashed into a building on the other end of the road. He felt something painful hit his head and then looked down at his helmet that had mysteriously landed in his lap.

"I should be asking you brats that," an angry voice snapped.
Several police officers handcuffed the four of them before shoving them into an ambulance that arrived. After they were patched up by the nurse, they spent the rest of the day at the police station where they were scolded and punished.

Ya Se sat next to his friends, with a dislocated shoulder and two broken ribs with other minor injuries. Da Dong, with a large head and face injury and a broken arm, sat on the other end of the line of four classmates. Yu Yan sat in the middle with injuries on the side of her face, a sprained ankle and dislocated shoulder. Xiao Yu, who sat next to Yu Yan and Ya Se, probably suffered the least injuries. Other than a concussion, minor wounds and swollen feet from all the running, he was fine compared to the others. Da Dong however, got scolded the most for unsafe driving, speeding, ignoring traffic lights, damaging property, being a road hazard and not stopping when asked to by the police. As a result, he was fined and had his motorcycle driving license suspended for a couple of months. Even though he had tried to defend himself by arguing that he was trying to catch a criminal, he was scolded even more for not leaving that job to the police. Yu Yan also got scolded for using her yi neng recklessly on the streets through her super speed and thus was forced to wear a yi neng lock for a week as punishment.

After the hours of interrogation and lecturing, night quickly fell upon Taipei and it was time for the teenagers to return home. The four sat in the back of a police van quietly. Yu Yan fingers itched to rip off the yi neng lock that was secured around her ankle. Xiao Yu's head throbbed and ached. Ya Se was just being Ya Se and was reading Shakespeare to try and pass time. Da Dong sat next to him, tired and exhausted.

"Today was really fun," Yu Yan spoke happily, breaking the silence. Ya Se and Da Dong looked back at her as they sat in front of her and Xiao Yu.
"That was fun?" Ya Se asked, "I'm annoyed that you pulled me into this, Jiang Yu Yan!" Ya Se huffed.
"It was exciting," Da Dong replied, "But I don't want to do it again. It was fun riding my motorcycle but the pain I'm feeling right now isn't worth it," he groaned, leaning his head against the window.
"Why were you even there, Yu Yan? You weren't in our plan," Ya Se pointed out.
"Little Fish got himself into a fight, so of course I had to intervene before he created a big mess at the funeral," Yu Yan rolled her eyes as she leaned back in her seat.
"Why were you even there in the first place? Did you know Su Jia Li?" Da Dong asked her.
"Su Jia Li is my cousin, so of course I would be there," Yu Yan replied like it was nothing, although it was just a lie to cover up the fact that they were actually alternate counterparts from different dimensions.

Ya Se and Da Dong fell silent, "Oh... We didn't know, I'm sorry. Sorry for your loss," Ya Se slowly spoke up.
Da Dong responded with a small nod in agreement to his friend, So she's her cousin? he thought to himself, remembering the time where he had heard her talking about Su Jia Li on the phone.

The van was in silence for the next few minutes. The only noise was the gentle tapping sound of Xiao Yu's head against the window every few seconds. Xiao Yu had fallen asleep sitting up straight and was now nodding off with his head hitting the window every time his head failed to stay upright. Yu Yan faced him, ignoring the sound. But then the noise became too repetitive and unbearable that she pulled Xiao Yu's head onto her shoulder with a grumble. "Stupid Fish, always annoying as usual," she muttered, turning her head to face the other way.

"Narcissist, I'm tired! Why don't you let me rest on your shoulder~?" Wang Da Dong looked at Yu Yan before whining to his brother in a cute and teasing voice.
Ya Se grinned, playing along, "Okay baby, come~" he Da Dong's face before putting his head on his shoulder, "Is it comfortable, honey?" he gushed to him in a mushy voice.
Da Dong nodded, snuggling closer to him before Yu Yan whacked both of them on their heads, "Do you two have a death wish?!" she barked, feeling embarrassed.

 


~*~*~



Yu Tong sat on the roof of a tall building. She looked up at the moon as she took off her mask. She sighed as she lifted up her shirt to look at the wound on her hip that had been caused by the spikes on Wang Da Dong's helmet. She faintly touched the sticky blood that clotted over the wound, "Wang Da Dong..." she smiled, "You're the only one who's managed to harm me... I like you..." she her lips; I definitely look forward to meeting you again...
 


~*~*~



Da Dong jumped into bed that evening, feeling utterly drained. He stayed silent as he reflected on everything that had taken place so far that week. He sighed feeling exhausted; too much had happened for his taste. He wanted to go back to the carefree days of the past and then realised that his future in Zhong Ji Yi Ban was going to get more hectic. He groaned. He just wanted to sleep away everything at that moment: he had too many problems already.

He turned to face his wall but then found his pillow to be uncomfortable. He sat up to adjust it before a letter under his pillow caught his eye. "An Qi's letter..." he realised, "I haven't read it yet." With a smile present on his face, he quickly tore open the envelope and began reading.

 

~*~*~

Yu Tong trudged through the streets, wearily. She looked down at the photographs of students from Guava High School in her hands. She sighed and covered her face with her masquerade mask, “Yu Tang should have already gotten atleast one of them, I should be able to take a break right?” She flipped through the photographs, “They don’t look like much, they look like ma guas,” she muttered to herself before the last photograph caused her to stop abruptly, “Ding Xiao Yu… this ma gua, why would father want to target him?” She folded the photograph quickly and tucked it away into her shirt. She smirked, “Well I’ll definitely kill him soon…”