Chapter 51: Cookies

KO One Re-Live

"Ya Se," Yu Yan began later that day, "Guys likes pretty girls who are soft and kind right?"
Ya Se looked at her weirdly before glancing over at Wu Xiong in the distance, "Uh... I guess?" he replied, "Why-"
And she was gone.
"Yu Yan?"

 

 


~*~*~
 

 


"Da Dong, Yu Yan wouldn't like people who are quiet and soft right?" Xiao Yu suddenly spoke up as he and Da Dong moved boxes of instruments to Dong Cheng Wei's warehouse in the gold dimension.
"I guess?" Da Dong shrugged, "I'd say she gets along with people who are more like Narcissist - they're like best friends."
Xiao Yu nodded in understanding, "Confident and cool..." he muttered before he put his box of instruments down.
"Why'd you ask something like that out of the blue?" Da Dong asked as he turned around to see Xiao Yu leave, "Eh? Xiao Yu!"
"I'm sorry i have to do something!" Was the last thing Xiao Yu said before he left the warehouse.



~*~*~
 

 


"Mum, I'm home!" Da Dong called out as he entered his house after school. He listened out for his mother's usual response of "Oh, you are? Welcome back!" but it did not come. Instead he heard a buzz of voices coming from his living room. Curiously, he walked over to see his parents talking to someone with a couple of shopping bags on the floor. What was going on? He walked closer and peered over their heads to see Jiang Yu Yan!

"Thank you so much for your help, Wang Mama, Wang Papa!" she beamed at them as Wang Mama released a giggle.
"It's no problem! We're happy to help!" Wang Papa replied, happily.
"I should thank you instead Yu Yan," Wang Mama began, "I wish you were my real daughter then we could do this all the time!"

"Mum, Dad? What's going on?" Da Dong spoke up, "What's Yu Yan doing here?"
Wang Papa turned around and smiled before putting a hand on his son's shoulder, "Don't worry about it son, this is a girls' moment."
"But you're not a girl..." Da Dong responded, giving his parents a weird and suspicious look.
Wang Papa chuckled and turned his son around, "Why don't you go up to your room and do your homework? Dinner will be ready soon," he suggested, forcefully pushing him out of the room.

"I'll be leaving then," Yu Yan bowed.
"Oh no, you must stay for dinner!" Wang Mama retorted, "Please, maybe I can help you bake something for you know who~!" she whispered into her ear and Yu Yan scratched the back of her head nervously.
"Oh don't worry about anything, it'll be fun!" Wang Mama then led Yu Yan into the kitchen.

"What's going on?" Da Dong muttered to himself, confused.

 


~*~*~

 



"What's going on?" Ya Se asked as he entered Xiao Yu's workplace to see him and his boss hiding in a corner behind several mens' fashion magazines. When Xiao Yu and Xiang Ke Ning saw him, they ducked behind the counter and began whispering.

Confused, Ya Se looked around at the crowded restaurant that was filled with unserved customers. "Waiter?!" someone called out.
"Where is my egg fried rice?" Another yelled angrily.
"I demand to see the manager! Why is there such poor service today?" someone esle barked.

Surprised at all this poor customer service, Ya Se looked over in Xiao Yu's direction only to have an apron hit him in the face. "Ya Se! Please step in today - I'll pay you!" he heard the boss' voice and a large question mark appeared over his head.
"What? You're asking Ya Se Wang to serve people?!" he exclaimed, taking the apron off his head only to have a flying notepad and pen whack him in the face.
"You'll need those!" He heard Xiao Yu's voice. Now completely confused, Ya Se looked over at them to see them rush out of the restaurant quickly.
"What in the hell is going on?" he asked himself, "Leaving me to manage the restaurant...???"

Curiously, he walked over to their previous hiding spot to see a pile of magazines open on men's clothing and leaflets on famous hair stylists. Before he could even process what they were doing, he became bombarded with orders.

"WAITER!!!!!"
"Okay, okay, I'm coming!" Ya Se stammered as he his heel to do a job he had never done before.

 


~*~*~
 


Da Dong stared at the plates of failed cookies on his dinner table. He sat with his father and they were ready for dinner, but the only things on the table were just cookies, cookies and more cookies. "Uh... is this dinner...?" Da Dong asked as he poked a burnt cookie in his bowl with a chopstick.
Wang Papa nodded as he helped himself to the failed cookies. Da Dong sweat dropped at how his mother had organised the burnt cookies. On the yellow plate were the completely charred cookies, on the red plate were the burnt cookies, on the green plate were the mildly burned cookies, on the blue plate were the mushy cookies, on the red plate were the salty cookies, on the purple plate were the weird shaped cookies, on the white plate were the discoloured cookies, on the pink plate were the broken cookies and the categories went on and on and on.

"Eat up son!" Wang Papa encouraged as he piled all the different types of cookies into his bowl, "They were all made by Yu Yan and her love!"
Da Dong dead panned as he looked over at his kitchen, "Now it all makes sense..." he mumbled, "But why is she baking?! She's blind!"
With chewed cookie spewing out of his mouth, Wang Papa smiled, "That's the reason why she's practising! We need to support her!"

Nervously and doubtfully, Da Dong nodded slowly, releasing awkward chuckles as he tried to break through a rock hard cookie. "Dad..." Da Dong looked over at his father, "I think... I've just broken my teeth..."
Wang Papa looked over at his son who failed to bite the cookie. Ignoring all the blood pouring out his gums, he laughed heartily, "Nonsense son! Don't worry about it, it'll stop after the 2748th cookie or so!"
Da Dong's face fell. He wanted to get the hell out of his house at that moment.

 


~*~*~
 


Ya Se grumbled as more clothes were put onto his head as his hands were already filled with things. He looked over at Xiang Ke Ning who had dragged him off for some late night shopping with Xiao Yu and the two had completely excluded him by making him hold everything!

"What are you guys doing?" He asked, frustrated.
Xiao Yu pulled on a blond wig that had spiky hair, "How do I look?"
Xiang Ke Ning also put on a men's wig that was black and had long bangs, "Do I look handsome?!" she asked as she made a tick shape with her fingers under her chin.
"Uhh..." Ya Se stared at them, completely lost. But they ignored him and continued running down the aisles of the wigs. Sighing, Ya Se carried all the clothes they had bought and followed them.

He looked at the clothes Xiao Yu was buying and frowned, "Xiao Yu, why are you buying clothes like these? Are they for Egomaniac?" he asked as he tried to imagine Xiao Yu in clothing that Da Dong would typically wear. He furrowed his brows and shook away that weird image.
Xiang Ke Ning then approached him and placed a packet of studs near his ears and began examining, "Hmm... these earrings do look handsome but..." she muttered before running off again.

As soon as they had bought several bags of clothing, deodorants and colognes, hair products and shoes like 3 hours later, Ya Se was free to go. As soon as he heard this, he didn't waste any second to run off and contact Da Dong to help him escape from these two weirdoes.

As soon as Da Dong received a text message from Ya Se asking him to play some late night hockey with him, Da Dong didn't waste a second to gulp down his glass of milk and run out of his house before his mother forced down another load of smelly burnt cookies down his throat. He had already thrown up 5 times and had 3 rounds of diarrhoea - he wasn't planning to die today so escaped as fast as he could.

As soon as the two met each other at the leisure centre, both their faces were overcome with surprise.

"Egomaniac why do you look like you were dragged out of your grave and died again?!"
"Narcissist why do you look like King Kong Mei Mei used you as scratching post and rinsed you dry?!"

"Why do you smell like a bakery exploded?!"
"Why do you smell like you just came out of a perfume factory?!"

"Is that a puke stain?!"
"Is that a soup stain?!"

Both brothers groaned in exhaustion before collapsing into pathetic laughter.

"Let's invite Tian Hong Guang Ge," Da Dong spoke up and Ya Se nodded.



~*~*~
 


Xiao Yu opened the door to his flat to be met with darkness. "Yu Yan...?" he called out, "Maybe she's sleeping?" he muttered to himself as he failed to see Wang Mama slip out behind him like the assassin she was. He walked down the passage towards his living room, catching onto the whiff of something smelling good. His stomach rumbled at the impact of this heavenly smell and he headed towards it in the darkness, confused at the same time. What's going on? he asked himself. As he entered the living room, he heard movements and things being moved. Is it a thief? he asked himself as his body became tense.

"Oh, you're home!" Yu Yan's voice chimed in the darkness, "Welcome home!"
"Yu Yan???" he said, "What are you doing in the dark?" he asked as he flicked on the light switch revealing Yu Yan wearing a simple dress with an apron. Her short black hair was tied up into a pony tail and on her face was a smile that greeted him.
"The dark?" she repeated, "Oh, sorry I can't tell if the lights are on or off," she chuckled.
Xiao Yu stared at her confused, before he looked over at the table she was preparing and saw a plate of freshly backed and deliciously smelling cookies. Instantly, a 'wifey' aura radiated off Yu Yan and him right in the face, causing a small blush to pop onto his face.

"Y-Yu Yan, did you make these...?" he asked as he reached over and picked up a cookie.
Yu Yan nodded, "Yup! I practiced alot to get them perfect."
"How? How could you have made something when you can't see, no offence," he replied as he took a bite. As soon as his taste buds came into contact with the simple looking cookie, a rainbow shot over his head and he found himself eating another.
"I learned the texture and smell of ingredients and memorised how heavy certain amounts of ingredients feel," she explained, "Do you like them?"

Amazed at her dedication, he nodded furiously, "They're delicious," he replied as he ate more. "But why?" he asked, "Why would you go through all the trouble?"
She smiled before sitting down beside him, "You always do everything for me," she began, "You cook, clean, you have 3 part time jobs, you wash my clothes, you brush my hair, you lend me clothes - the list goes on. I just wanted to be useful and do something nice for you..." she trailed off, feeling embarrassed because she usually didn’t speak from her heart.
Xiao Yu felt a blush creep up onto his cheeks as he gazed at the girl next to him, "You didn't have to... but I really appreciate it, thank you," he thanked her in a gentle and soft voice that made her heart flutter, "But don't feel pressured to do anything for me. You're not useless, you've helped me many times so let me help you, okay? It's really no trouble."

Yu Yan stood up, "Alright, you can clean up then," she said, "It's pretty late, I'll be going to bed then."
Smiling at her frankness, Xiao Yu nodded and watched her leave, "Sure, Goodnight Yu Yan."
"Night Little Fish," came her response before she disappeared into his room.

After devouring the cookies she made for him, Xiao Yu rolled up his sleeves and entered his kitchen to clean up the baking utensils. But his jaw literally hit the floor when he saw flour spilt all over the floor, sugar falling out of the cupboard and over the counters, melted chocolate dripping from the oven, butter smeared over the counter and floor and the mixing bowl and wooden spoon dumped into the sink. He found himself chuckling at Yu Yan's mess and he bent down to pick up the fallen packet of flour. "It's the thought that counts and she tried really hard," he said to himself, "Cleaning up is the least I could do for her."

Then the cleaning commenced!



~*~*~

 


Ya Se hit the black hockey puck towards the goal which Da Dong was defending. Da Dong whacked it away using his hockey stick but the connection used so much force that small grains crumbled off the hockey puck. The hockey puck slid across the floor before Hong Guang stopped it with his foot. "Da Dong, this is a weird hockey puck," he commented.
Ya Se walked over as Hong Guang bent over to pick it up. "So I wasn't the only one who was thinking it looks kinda odd?" he added.
Da Dong shrugged sheepishly as Hong Guang brought it to his nose and sniffed it.
"Er... what are you doing...?" Ya Se asked, as he watched the former meng zhu sniff their hockey puck like a curious dog.
Hong Guang then felt it and rubbed it with his thumb. "Where'd you find this hockey puck Da Dong?" he asked before he sank his teeth into it - or so he tried.

Da Dong and Ya Se immediately burst out into surprised cries: "AAAHHHH!!"

But Hong Guang just looked at them weirdly while a bit of the hockey puck crumbled off and landed on his tongue.

"You ate the hockey puck?!??!?!?!?" Ya Se exclaimed.

"I love food," he began in a mysterious voice and suddenly wearing detective clothing, "And I can tell you for sure that this-" he held out the hockey puck at their faces, "-is not at all a hockey puck!" he exclaimed.
A dramatic gasp escaped Ya Se's lips and he covered his mouth in horror, "It's not?! Then what is it?!" he gasped as though he was performing in a melodrama.

"It is a...." Hong Guang went silent for effect, "....BURNT COOKIE!!!!"

Da Dong turned his back to them and scratched his head sheepishly.