Separation Anxiety (Chaelisa)

Blackpink In Your Area
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung and Lisa were inseparable.

They were like peanut butter and jelly- there was never one without the other, not for a single moment in their lives. Even before they truly understood the concept of friendship, they were best friends from the moment they met in preschool.

Chaeyoung was playing with the blocks on the floor, stacking them up and mushing random letters together to make gibberish. She was just about to finish a large tower she had happily made when it was suddenly knocked down to the floor in a heap, the blocks strewn across the floor. Chaeyoung heard a tiny gasp above her as she looked at the ruined tower, her big eyes open wide.

Her lip quivered and her eyes started to prick with tears, and she shot her head upwards to look at the culprit. A guilt-ridden Lalisa Manoban stood there, casting her eyes down to Chaeyoung and also the blocks she had knocked over. was open like a fish, and Chaeyoung's tears began to stream down her chubby cheeks. She pointed at the girl.

"You broke it!" Chaeyoung shouted, standing up on her tiny feet and continuing to point straight at Lisa. Lisa shook her head, the little girl clearly flustered and having trouble remembering the very limited words she had learned. Chaeyoung didn't give her a chance to speak, the girl crossing her arms and pouting cutely, tears still falling. "I worked hard on that!" She said.

Lisa blinked several times, her eyes moving down to the blocks and then back to Chaeyoung. She started to pat her pockets, her tongue poking out in concentration. Chaeyoung watched her, sniffling and wiping her wet eyes that were now filled with confusion. Finally, Lisa's eyes brightened when she felt something in her back pocket, pulling it out and holding it towards Chaeyoung.

"Here, have this!" Lisa said happily, shoving the candy bar into Chaeyoung's tiny hand. Chaeyoung sniffled again, blinking down at the treat in her hand. She looked back up at Lisa, still confused. Lisa motioned to the snack, smile on her face. "I broke your tower, so I'll say sorry by giving you my food!" Lisa explained. Chaeyoung stared at the girl, then at the candy bar.

It didn't take long for Chaeyoung's smile to creep onto her face, her delicate fingers ripping open the package. She took a bite of the bar, her cheeks plumping up as she did so. Lisa giggled at her, her finger reaching out to poke one of her cheeks.

"You look like a chipmunk!" Lisa teased, giggling even more at the tinge of pink on Chaeyoung's cheeks. Chaeyoung whined and pushed her finger away, the girl munching on her new snack.

"Do not!" Chaeyoung argued. Lisa covered while she laughed.

"Do to!" Lisa shot back.

The two had bickered back and forth about it for the rest of the day- and Lisa helped her make an even bigger tower than before.

That's where it all started.

~~

And it continued on throughout the years. Elementary school, middle school, and now highschool. Chaeyoung and Lisa were never apart- the best of friends. Nothing could stand between them.

"Chaeyoungie, I don't think we can hang out much this summer."

Chaeyoung almost snapped her pencil in half. She blinked at the doodles on her page- many of her and Lisa together, and some of Lisa's cats Leo and Luca. She cleared and swivelled around in her chair, looking over at Lisa who was sprawled on her bed on her back, looking up at the ceiling and avoiding eye contact.

"What?" Chaeyoung questioned, gazing at the girl. "What do you mean, Lisa?"

Lisa sighed and hoisted herself up, leaning on her elbows and looking at Chaeyoung. There was a frown on her face, and Chaeyoung detected sadness in her eyes. Chaeyoung was sure she was showing the same.

"I mean- I'm going to be super busy. I-" Lisa paused, chewing on her bottom lip. Chaeyoung gestured towards her, encouraging her to continue. Lisa sighed again, hanging her head in shame. "I failed my English exam and now I have to take a summer class to make up for it." Lisa confessed quietly, so quiet that Chaeyoung almost missed it.

Almost.

"You what?!" Chaeyoung yelled, shooting up from her chair. Lisa winced and looked away from her, but Chaeyoung made it difficult by breezing over to the girl and sitting down near her on the bed. Lisa sat up completely, hunching her shoulders and picking at loose threads on Chaeyoung's blanket. Lisa shrugged, and Chaeyoung tried to catch her eyes just once, but Lisa kept them down. "How could you fail? We studied for ages for that exam!" Chaeyoung said. Lisa scratched the back of her neck, shrugging again.

"I don't know, I just- I was doing fine for the first half of it, but then I guess I just- my mind started to wander for the second half and I couldn't remember anything we studied." Lisa said, still maintaining eye conact with the blanket instead of Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung frowned deeply, her eyebrows crinkling.

"Lisa..." Chaeyoung sighed. Lisa grimaced and finally managed to look up, catching Chaeyoung's eyes.

"Are you mad at me?" Lisa asked gently- and Chaeyoung had to fight the urge to tackle the girl into a hug in that moment. Lisa looked so innocent- so vulnerable, just like when they were kids that it made Chaeyoung's heart melt.

Chaeyoung rubbed her forehead and sighed, then aimed a sweet smile towards Lisa.

"I'm not mad, Lisa." Chaeyoung said, shifting closer to the girl on the bed. Lisa visibly relaxed at her words, and she relaxed even more when Chaeyoung wrapped her arms around her in a tight hug, pulling her close. Lisa sighed and nuzzled her face into Chaeyoung's neck. "I'm just sad we won't have as much time together this summer. But I'm sure we'll work it out!" Chaeyoung said cheerfully, patting Lisa's back. "Nothing can keep us apart, right?" 

Lisa smiled into her neck and nodded. She tugged on Chaeyoung's shirt and pulled the girl down onto the bed, the two of them wrapping their arms around each other. They cuddled close together, eyes locked.

"Right." Lisa said. Chaeyoung smiled brightly and nodded once, snuggling closer to her.

They'd be fine.

~~

They were not fine.

Actually, correction- Chaeyoung was not fine.

After that day, there were only two days before Lisa started her summer class, which meant she only got two days worth of time with her before she was locked in a classroom for most of the day- and even some of the night too.

Chaeyoung gazed out her window for the umpteenth time- expecting and hoping to see a familiar head of light brown hair coming up her driveway, but she didn't. She puffed her cheeks out and tore her eyes away, moving them over to a stuffed chipmunk on her bed. She smiled and walked over to it, picking it up and holding it close. Lisa had won it for her at the fair one year, and Chaeyoung promised to cherish it for as long as she'll live.

C

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter