>> Interrogation: The Confession of The Innocent

Heart, Mind & Seoul Reviews Archive
The brightest star will shine the most no matter how many others there are.
 
tumblr_nw4teksc4H1uyv6eso1_1280.png
 
navigation
 
 
 
 
 
Review
 
tumblr_n64jx9w5SE1tszfipo1_500.gif
INTERROGATION: THE CONFESSION OF THE INNOCENT

BY JaeKnight

 

 

CHARACTERS · Luhan, Lay, Sehun

STATUS · Complete

DESCRIPTION · Luhan was accused of Oh Sehun's death. Luhan denied, he insisted he's innocent. Detective Zhang Yixing's here to find out if Luhan's telling the truth through an interrogation.

>>STORY LINK<<

 


story title: 5/5
I like the title - it makes the story sound like a movie or a drama. It’s captivating to some extent and it does draw people into reading. It’s relevant to the plotline and it doesn’t really give away a lot other than the innocent part.
description, foreword & tags: 10/10
Your description is short but every effective. You’ve introduced the story using only two sentences and it draws readers into reading more because they would want to find out what happened during the interrogation/investigation.

As for your foreword, you chose to insert a prologue of the story. It’s good that the whole passage wasn’t included in the actual chapter again, because that would put some reader off due to having to read something again. The prologue sets the scene for the story and gives it some background information, which helps your reader to understand the plotline more easily.

Your tags are very well used!

appearance - graphics: 5/5, display: 5/5
The poster is very well made! It’s simple and easy to understand, something that I personally prefer over fancy and complicated ones. The background image and the poster match each other and makes the whole theme very pleasing. The colour scheme is fitting for the genre of the story and most important of all (in my opinion) the background is simple and doesn’t disturb the eyes when you’re reading.

They layout of your work is clean and simple. You’ve chosen to use two different fonts for the different time frames and that makes it very easy for the readers to notice and understand if they happen to miss the subtitles with the dates and times. The fonts you chosen are standard ones, ones that are legible and clean. Well done!

characterisation: 9/10
The characters are a little complicated in this case, but I’ll try and talk about them in some detail.

Luhan - he’s the main character and he seems to be the calm type, however that doesn’t last long because he slowly cracks throughout the interrogation. He has a complex character and it’s hard to see what he actually is like. He’s mysterious and barely anything is known about him deep down. I think that coming up with such a complicated character is very hard, so you’ve done a good job in creating him!

Sehun - I think some people might see him as the antagonist in the story because he ‘stole’ Luhan’s ex-girlfriend and dated her, whereas in fact, he’s the one that should be given sympathy because Luhan’s ex-girlfriend broke up with him while his best friend doubted him.

Lay/Yixing - this one is a little hard to write about due to the doubling of his character. Lay, the detective, is strong-willed and determined. He will get down to the bottom of the case no matter what. However, Lay, the young boy, is innocent. He has pitiful past and ending. However, the appearance of this young boy became the turning point in the story because he witness the suicide of Sehun and experienced the ‘care’ from Luhan afterwards, leading Luhan to commit a crime.

Overall, your characters are very complex and it’s very admirable that you’ve managed to write about them in your story as you did. Well done!

plot: 17/20
Your plot is very unique, in my opinion. The use of psychological problems in a crime scene isn’t too common, though there are some previous examples. They way you twisted things towards the end is quite different and it certainly does give your readers a shock to find out what actually happened in the end. The incident of Sehun killing himself isn’t too complicated, but the mental condition of Luhan is what made the plot so complex and possibly a little hard to understand. I think at some point during the story, I was stuck in a state of confusion and had to go back and read the last couple of paragraphs before being able to move on again - I think there are some places where you can make the plot a little more clearer so it’s easier to understand.

In summary, I think your plot is different, but I think there are places where you can develop it a little more. For example, you try and name Luhan’s mental condition so your readers can have some idea about the symptoms that he experiences, though that would mean a lot of research and being very careful because it would most likely contain triggers.

Anyway, well done on creating this story!

consistency/flow: 10/10
The flow of your story isn’t too bad, even with the flashbacks and jumping between time frames. The events are taking place in a steady speed and it’s easy to follow. Well done!
grammar, spelling & punctuation: 11/15
There aren’t major problems with your writing, but there are some things I would like to point out. First of all, your tenses are a little mixed up at places. You’re writing the whole story using the past tense but there are places where the tenses aren’t consistent. For example:

ORIGINAL: "He forgot to drink his medicine, so he has to rub his head to ease the pain that he was feeling"
CORRECTED: "He forgot to drink his medicine, so he had to rub his head to ease the pain that he was feeling"

ORIGINAL: "Luhan has an enigmatic look on his face, he doesn’t exactly know what to feel."
CORRECTED: "Luhan had an enigmatic look on his face, he didn't exactly know what to feel."

ORIGINAL: "Lay does not want to be outsmart by an actor"
CORRECTED: "Lay did not want to be outsmarted by an actor"

ORIGINAL: "he does not want Luhan to scheme his crime over the interrogation"
CORRECTED: "he did not want Luhan to scheme his crime over the interrogation"

ORIGINAL: "He gulped; he does not exactly know what to feel"
CORRECTED: "He gulped; he did not exactly know what to feel"

There are some examples of general things I’ve noticed as well:

ORIGINAL: "But he couldn’t calm down after all the event that happened"
CORRECTED: "But he couldn’t calm down after everything that happened"

ORIGINAL: "Luhan did not spoke a word"
CORRECTED: "Luhan did not speak a word"

ORIGINAL: "Luhan responded with an unlikely tone"
Try look for other substitutes because this doesn't really make sense.

ORIGINAL: "but he tried to compose his self"
CORRECTED: "but he tried to compose himself"

ORIGINAL: "The way he felt Luhan inside the room made his suspicions clearer"
CORRECTED: "The way Luhan acted inside the room made his suspicions clearer"

ORIGINAL: "Actors have their ways, so as detectives"
CORRECTED: "Actors have their ways, so do detectives"

ORIGINAL: "Luhan looked at the detective who just raised his brow for the sudden surprise"
CORRECTED: "Luhan looked at the detective who just raised his brow at the sudden surprise"

ORIGINAL: "A thin warm air..."
CORRECTED: "Thin warm air..."

ORIGINAL: "A door sound from behind..."
CORRECTED: "The sound of a door opening from behind..."

ORIGINAL: "Sehun froze from his position, felt stabbed right to the heart."
CORRECTED: "Sehun froze in his position and felt stabbed right in the heart."

Also, instead of ‘suspect of a murder’, I would recommend you using ‘murder suspect’ as it’s more used in general, especially in crime. Furthermore, try not to start sentences with 'and' or 'but', try and find connectives likes ‘moreover’ and ‘however’ - it’ll make your work sound more professional.

As for you spelling, there aren’t any problems that I’ve spotted, but you punctuation can be improved, especially in the use of commas and semicolons. I think you’ll really benefit from getting a beta-reader to proofread your work to scan for small mistakes like these.

structure: 3/5
I think you’re on your way to getting the perfect structure. The only thing that is stopping you doing so is the inconsistent use of single spacings and double spacings. Sometimes there are two lines between paragraphs and sometimes there is only one. This makes the text look a little confusing because double spacing can be mistaken for a scene skip or a jump in time. If this is due to the formatting of your text, I would suggest you try to change it in some way to avoid confusion.
readers' response: 4/5
The number of subscriptions and upvotes are good for the length of time your story has been up. The number of comments are getting there, and I can see that some of them aren’t the ‘please update soon’ kind. You’re getting some in depth comments, which is very good! Also, you’re replying to some of the comments, but not all. I would encourage you to reply to all, even if it’s just a small ‘thank you’ because it tells your readers that you’ve seen their comment and cares about their thoughts.
overall enjoyment: 7/10
For me personally, I really like mystery stories so I was really looking forward to reading your story! I really liked the twist at the end, even though I ended up in a cloud of confusion. I think the way you’ve embedded the flashbacks is very effective with little confusion. I hope you keep up the good work!

 

total grade: 86/100

 

notes
DATE REQUESTED: 25/12/15
 
DATE COMPLETED: 30/12/15
 
REVIEWER: Mandy
 
COMMENTS: Thank you for choosing Heart, Mind & Seoul! I hope you’re satisfied with the review!
 
REMINDER
Please remember to comment when you have picked up. Please also credit the shop AS WELL AS the reviewer. If there are any problems, please contact the owener or the reviewer via PM.