>> Congratulations

Heart, Mind & Seoul Reviews Archive
The brightest star will shine the most no matter how many others there are.
 
tumblr_nw4teksc4H1uyv6eso1_1280.png
 
navigation
 
 
 
 
 
Review
 
https://41.media.tumblr.com/124728ff1debb558b69e6b8c8120a300/tumblr_o1s1pydXNH1sqnerso2_1280.png
CONGRATULATIONS

BY IntoTheFuture

 

 

CHARACTERS · Seulgi, Kai

STATUS · Completed

DESCRIPTION· Congratulations.
You broke my heart.
I should have known that love was nothing but a weakness to humans. It comes as an euphoric dream but leaves as a depressing nightmare.

>>STORY LINK<<

 


story title: 4/5
Personally, I think there are both good and bad things about one-worded titles. They’re short and simple, and yet it’s very hard to sum up the whole story with just one word. In this case, I think what you’ve done is very fitting. The word relates to the story a lot and it does make a lot of sense once you’ve read the whole chapter. However, on the other hand, I think the word itself isn’t too eye-catching, nor does it stand out a lot. Honestly, if I were to see a story titled “Congratulations” without reading anything else, I wouldn’t have been drawn into reading this. Anyhow, I think this title is a very suitable one for this story.
description, foreword & tags: 7/10
Your description is very short, but I like it a lot! It’s short enough to keep everything simple, and yet it gets your readers wanting to read more. Although it doesn’t give away a lot, which can be a good thing since you’re not trying to spoil the storyline, it could be a downside because there are some readers who would want a little bit more information about the plot before they decide to read it.

As for your tags, I think you can probably do without the ‘kaiseul’ and ‘seulkai’ tags. Not that I have anything against you using them, I just don’t think they would give you any advantages in this case, though it is your freedom to choose which tags to use.

appearance - graphics: 4/5, display: 4/5
I think your poster is very well made! The colour scheme of the poster really does fit with the story, but there is one thing that I would like to point out - it is slightly difficult to see the title because the colour of the font blends too much into the background. Perhaps changing the gradient a little would help.

As the general layout of your story, everything seems very simple and clean. I like the way you’ve organised your foreword section with page dividers - they do keep everything in order and it doesn’t make the credits look too jumbled up together. However, I do think the title on the actual chapter does look a little messy, maybe it’s because of the grey lines in the background, but I think it would look the best if you had just kept the title simple and plain.

characterisation: 9/10
Seulgi is a girl that lacks self-confidence because of her parents. Although the problem did originate from her sister, it seems that it’s her parents that made everything unbearable for her. She’s constantly hiding herself from others because she doesn’t want them to see her as her sister’s shadow, that was why she moved to Canada. The appearance of Jongin was a huge turning point in her life, because she was able to experience something that she rarely encountered before. Even though she thought everything was just going well for her, she found that she had been cheated by Jongin, causing her to feel total despair at the end of the story.

Jongin plays a crucial role in this story, though his appearance quite sudden, in my opinion. Despite that, he had turned Seulgi’s life around, and around again at the end. He gave her the happiness that she thought she was never going to have, and then took it away from her all at once. Personally, I don’t really understand Jongin - was he really in love with Seulgi or was he only playing with the sisters?

Jinah is someone that always overshadows Seulgi. From what I’ve read, I can’t tell whether she’s the good girl or the bad girl. Does she really care about Seulgi? If so, then what was going with Jongin?

Even though your story is only one chapter long, I think they way you’ve written about your characters is something that I personally really like. You’ve written enough information about them for your readers to feel what they are feeling, as well as understand what they are thinking. Well done!

plot: 15/20
I think the plot isn’t overly cliche, but I think there are a lot of stories that are based on this type of storyline. They way you’ve written it made the plot seem a lot less fluffy and ‘shoujo-like’. Although I can’t say for sure if this plot is realistic or not, but I think you’ve grasps the real-life situations in this story very well. There are some aspects that we can all agree on, such as constantly being compared to someone else, be it your siblings or your friends.

I feel that this story definitely have the potential to be developed into something bigger, especially with all the questions that your readers have after reading the chapter, possibly with a sequel or more chapters. The development between the characters and the building-up of tension are something definitely worth reading about!

consistency/flow: 6/10
The overall flow of your story is not bad, though there are some parts which came at me all of a sudden, such as Jongin’s appearance. However, I think I’ve found the reason why Jongin was such a surprise. Between the line “Haven't exercised in so long? Now that is nonsense, Seulgi scoffed inwardly” and the paragraph beginning with “Nice to meet you, I'm Kai.”, I think a divider is needed, even though you used a double-line spacing, because the scene suddenly changes. Unless Jongin was already standing in front of Seulgi’s house when she was pushed out to do the mailing, then it would make sense, but I think if that is the case then it would be best to make that clear in the paragraph that was describing Jongin.

Also, I found that Seulgi and Jongin becoming a couple is quite sudden for me. It kind of just happened out of nowhere and wouldn’t it be kind of weird to be asking questions like “what year were you born in?” after dating someone? And then it led to the confrontation between Jongin and Jinah - which left me with more questions because nothing was said about them in the chapter and it was kind of like a slap in the face that it happened all of the sudden without warning. I’m not sure if you’re doing this because you’re planning a continuation or a sequel, but it does seem like it came out of nowhere in relation to this chapter only.

Finally, I like your idea of putting, what I’m presuming to be, quotes after each small section of the chapter. However, the first time it appeared (I think therefore I am…) it seems a little out of place to me. It could very well be just me that see it as unfitting, but for some reason that paragraph just kind of sticks out in a way that doesn’t really make sense. However, the quotes that come after the first one seem to make a lot more sense, which is a good thing!

grammar, spelling & punctuation: 13/15
Since English is your first language and you did have your story beta-read, I don’t want to going into too much detail in this section, but there were a few things that caught my attention.

ORIGINAL: But everything had changed ever since Seulgi had moved to Canada, their connection with each other gradually started to wilt, until they merely exchange small messages to know how each other was doing each month.
CORRECTED: But everything had changed ever since Seulgi had moved to Canada; their connection with each other gradually started to wilt, until they merely exchanged small messages to know how each other was doing each month.

ORIGINAL: Her parents worshiped Jinah like a goddess, they had hardly batted an eyelash when Seulgi told them she came in first in her class.
CORRECTED: Her parents worshiped Jinah like a goddess; they had hardly batted an eyelash when Seulgi told them she came in first in her class.

ORIGINAL: She might have a jet-lag.
CORRECTED: She might have jet-lag.

ORIGINAL: Seulgi replied while narrowing her eyes at him warily, not quite trusting.
CORRECTED: Seulgi replied while narrowing her eyes at him warily, not quite trusting him.

ORIGINAL: "What year are you born?"
CORRECTED: "What year were you born in?"

ORIGINAL: I have an older sister who is two years older than me and my parents.
CORRECTED: I have an older sister, who is older than me, and my parents.

I think there were a couple of things that I picked up on but left them out because they’re most likely to be the differences between British English and American English. Anyhow, the mistakes are mostly coming from your punctuation, especially commas and semicolons. However, with enough practise, punctuation should come to you naturally. Keep up the good work!

structure: 5/5
The paragraphs in your story seems completely fine to me!
readers' response: 5/5
The response from your readers seems to be mostly positive and encouraging - and a lot are asking you for a sequel! I can see that you’re replying to your comments, but only to some of them. If you can, try replying to all of them, because it will show your readers how much they comments mean to you!

Also, you’ve set your story to be ‘subscribers only’, and here’s a thought for you. Why limit your readers to only those who are able to subscribe? What about those who don’t have an account or aren’t fond of subscribing? Of course, these are just questions that I put out there once in a while, but it’s not bad to think about them at all!

overall enjoyment: 7/10
Honestly, I didn’t think I’d enjoy this story as much as I did! Usually, I’m not that fond of stories that are to do with the jealousy between siblings, but this one was a little different from others, most probably because of your writing style. The way you write isn’t immature or ‘girly’, but rather there’s a touch of maturity in it. Although the story did leave me with quite a few questions and a bit of confusion, I do think it has a lot of potential to be developed further! Thank you for giving me this opportunity to read your story!

 

total grade: 79/100

 

notes
DATE REQUESTED: 26/02/16
 
DATE COMPLETED: 02/03/16
 
REVIEWER: Mandy (Saki1017)
 
COMMENTS: First of all, I do apologise for the inconvenience regarding your review - I am very thankful for you understanding and patience! I hope this review is useful to you, but if there are anything that are concerning you, please do not hesitate to drop me a message!
 
REMINDER
Please remember to comment when you have picked up. Please also credit the shop AS WELL AS the reviewer. If there are any problems, please contact the owener or the reviewer via PM.