>> Not You

Heart, Mind & Seoul Reviews Archive
The brightest star will shine the most no matter how many others there are.
 
tumblr_nw4teksc4H1uyv6eso1_1280.png
 
navigation
 
 
 
 
 
Review
 
tumblr_n64jx9w5SE1tszfipo1_500.gif
Not You

BY t0pslyfe

 

 

CHARACTERS · TOP, Seungri

STATUS · Completed

DESCRIPTION· The last thing an assassin wants is to fall in love with his target.
“Oh, what we do for love.”

>>STORY LINK<<

 


story title: 5/5
The title is simple and unique. But that's how it should be. I know, the title is used more than once here on AFF, but every time in a different concept. You do however trigger the reader's curiosity by keeping it very simple. That makes us urge for more and most importantly, it makes us want to read your story. The title does fit the storyline and gives you just a hint of what could be happening. By reading the title, it could be predictable but then it's up to the writer to prove us wrong. Not everyone is capable of doing that, but you did a fine job there. Well done!
description, foreword & tags: 10/10
DESCRIPTION
I do like those one sentence description. Again it gives us readers something to think about and to wonder off about it. The description can led to a cliché story, but you did your best to avoid it. I can imagine that especially for a one-shot it's not always easy to fill in your description. As you need to think about so many things. Well, you have to make sure that you don't spoil us too much already and that it still stays interesting. Again well done! It gives us only that much information, that we still want to read your story. The description has a sense of being a bit mysterious and vague and rather cliché at first. But that's because we didn't read the story yet at moment. It carries so much more than only cliché feelings. It gives us already a small taste of what we might expect. But as you said when you requested, if you would summarise it otherwise, you would give away too much. This is a great way to trigger the attention of the readers. I hope that most of them are like me, even though the description might be a bit vague, take the step and scroll down and click on the "Next" button to be amazed by first of all your writing skills and secondly about the story you want to share with us. It is definitely worth your time, clicking on that button! So go and do it! :)

FOREWORD
That sentence! Damn, it is the main phrase of your story, though.. it's seems like you built your story around that phrase. It says it all, it's powerful, sharp and to the point. We keep on guessing again. But it has so much truth in it. Indeed, the things we would do for love.

TAGS
To be honest, I do like Big Bang but not in a serious fan way. I know all the members, but don't know anything about the ships. I asked my sister because she is more into them and knows the otps so. I think based on that the tags that you have chosen are the right ones. The story is quite angsty, so that one plays out as well. It's the same for the love tag. I wouldn't change anything.

appearance - graphics: 4/5, display: 3/5
APPEARANCE/GRAPHICS
The poster actually fits the story perfectly. Again, I think you prefer a clean simple poster without all the fancy tricks that can be used. You don't need anymore elements on the poster. It's just fine like this. You got the assassin and off course the mysterious second person. I won't spoil anything so, that's why I'm not going to call any names here. Your graphic designer did a great job on the poster. It's angsty and perfect for your story.

BACKGROUND/DISPLAY
To be completely honest, and I'm hoping I'm not going to sound rude or harsh or hurt anyone right now.. I didn't like the background at all.. As where you use simplicity and not all over the place elements, the background is too much.. I got a headache when I started to read your story because of the background. I would rather prefer the background to be just a few "not you" and the bullet hole.. that would be better. I know it comes with the poster, but still.

characterisation: 9/10
I will do my best to review the characters. It's a bit more difficult when it concerns a one-shot. But still if it's well written, like yours that makes a bit easier. (Also because I'm not that familiar with all the BIG BANG members their stage names/real names.)

TOP (Choi Seunghyun)
This is the main character in the story. He is the assassin and takes care of kills for persons who pay him to do so. Normally he always has a certain routine he can follow to kill the target, but that's all about to change. Again I don't want to spoil too much, but to continue I do have to a little spoiler. He mostly stays in character which is confident, kind, friendly, but deadly calm when it's come to the killing part. But that's all about to change, that's why you can see a major change in his character. He will leave his comfort zone, something that he has never done before. I do think you described his character very well through your story. You are to the point and TOP is not all over the place. Well done!

SEUNGRI (Lee Seunghyun)
I love him! Hahaha.. well that's maybe a bit much but still.. I like his personality a lot. Off course it's cliché, that I have to be honest.. I don't really mind, because it suits the story. He's the rich kid who was predicted to have the worst personality ever and not even an caring bone in his soul, unfortunately it's quite the contrary. He is this sweet, bubbly and friendly and caring boy, who doesn't want to step in the footsteps of his cruel father. What happens next to him, is something you have to read in the story. I don't want to spoil all the details here in the review. Again well done!

SIDE CHARACTERS (DALTON, FATHER of SEUNGRI)
Those side characters are well written as well. Even though, they don't play a huge role in this story, you can get an image of them through the main characters and their surroundings.

plot: 17/20
The plot of this story is definitely interesting but a bit cliché.. I'm sorry that this may sound harsh, but your story could have gone a lot of different ways for the plot. I wouldn't call it unique but definitely interesting. Is this realistic? Well actually, I think somewhere in our (messed up) society this could be happening to someone. I know this is rather cruel than humanly but still, such people exists. It's unfortunate that because of that the targets as well as their assassins could take their lives for it. But i do believe like as in your story (sorry spoiler alert :s) people still have the possibility to change each other for the better.
consistency/flow: 9/10
It is a one-shot so.. it's actually up to the writer to decide how fast or how slow the story goes. For this one-shot, it starts out rather slowly as off course we get to meet the characters and already a hint of their personalities. Your story starts more like with a prologue and continues to flow over to the real story. I do like that transition, as I said before, like that we get to know the different players in the game. The consistency is well present but gets a bit lost at the end of your story, where everything takes a rather quick spin and then nothing.. the story is done. Too bad, because actually to be honest, I wanted the story to last and I wanted to get more interactions between the two main characters. But yes, then again we have to take in consideration that this is still a one-shot. Which are meant to flow quickly to their highest point, than stay there and than go down like a roller coaster. This was perfectly visible in your story. Overall, I do think the story has a nice flow to it and you did your very best not to include too many details that we have to beware of. You have chosen the right moments between every character to clarify the surroundings and their situations.
grammar, spelling & punctuation: 15/15
Well to be honest, believe it or not, I couldn't find any major not even a minor mistake in your story. I even read your story again to be sure, I didn't miss one. All tenses are used correctly and the commas and speech marks are also used in the correct way. I did noticed some very interesting words, that aren't used very often but do fit in the content of this story. Your English writing is actually of high standard. Even for me, for whom English is like my third or fourth language, I'm not even able to use such educated words even if I would try :) I love writing reviews and reading and must be honest that my English did improve. But still, wow you are something alright! Well done! Keep up the good work, i like your writing style and love how you intrigue me with the words.
structure: 5/5
Paragraphs are essential in a story – and you are using them! Even in this story, which you wrote as a one-shot, I do think it's important to have paragraphs. The most important thing about paragraphs in a one-shot is, that it makes it so much more enjoyable and easier to read. Like that you prevent to get lost in your story.
readers' response: 3/5
These are your stats:
22 upvotes
165 subs
1903 views
18 comments

From the looks of your stats, I do think your story deserves that much more! It's a great story, well written and easy to follow. This is an amazing story which deserves the credit. You can see that actually you do have a lot of silent readers or viewers. It would be amazing if those would subscribe and upvote your story! You did gather already about 18 comments, it's a good start though, but still.. it can be better. I like how you try to reply as fast as you can to the comments you get. I hope your story will get featured once, because you definitely deserve it! Keep on going, you're doing great!

overall enjoyment: 9/10
Believe it or not! I actually quite enjoyed reading your story. You kept my attention and interest until the end of your one-shot. You intrigued me and blew me away with your amazing writing skills. Moreover I do like your writing skills. Again very clean, educated and most importantly very easy to follow your story. As you maybe already read in your review, you have a rather newby reader of Big Bang stories at hand here to do your review. I hope that however I did well on your behalf. I did keep an open mind as towards the characters of the story. Because normally I wouldn't read a Big Bang story as one of my first choices. But hey, you convinced me to read more of your stories! And I definitely will.

 

total grade: 89/100

 

notes
DATE REQUESTED: 05/11/2015
 
DATE COMPLETED: 13/12/2015
 
REVIEWER: StephLovesKCulture (Steph)
 
COMMENTS: Most of the things I already pointed out it in the overall enjoyment. I do hope you're not offended that I'm not that big of a fan of BIG BANG, even though I like some of their music. I did my best to give you an honest review. Also, I would like to apologise on behalf of Saki (Mandy) because she wasn't able to complete your review. That's why I helped her out to complete your review. If you were already a long time, we are very sorry for the long wait. Apart from that, keep on writing! You are AMAZING!!
 
REMINDER
Please remember to comment when you have picked up. Please also credit the shop AS WELL AS the reviewer. If there are any problems, please contact the owener or the reviewer via PM.