>> The Curious Case Of The Sasaeng Fan

Heart, Mind & Seoul Reviews Archive
The brightest star will shine the most no matter how many others there are.
 
tumblr_nw4teksc4H1uyv6eso1_1280.png
 
navigation
 
 
 
 
 
Review
 
tumblr_n64jx9w5SE1tszfipo1_500.gif
The Curious Case Of The Sasaeng Fan

BY Hephaistos

 

 

CHARACTERS · Oh Su-jin (OC), Jongdae (Chen), The Dragon (G-Dragon), Chaerin (CL), Minseok (Xiumin), Mino (Song Minho)

STATUS · Completed

DESCRIPTION· A sasaeng fan is found dead, and Su-jin (OC) and Jongdae are put on the case. Things are strange and appear to lead to a dead end, but their attention is stolen from the case to The Dragon. The Dragon is the most feared druglord in Korea, and attacks the Seoul Police with intense force. A manhunt ensues, and things turn sour. In the midst of this, there is a budding lovestory forming between Su-jin and Jongdae.

>>STORY LINK<<

 


story title: 5/5
To be honest, the title is quite long. But, it's true that you can't make it shorter or choose a shorter one. It does fit the storyline perfectly. You have made the right choice. It's captivating and unique. The readers are triggered and intrigued by the mystery of it. It makes you wonder about the story. The story itself is a strange story, but in a good way. You get captivated by the mystery behind the case of the sasaeng fan and if you start reading the story you don't want to stop. That's because you want to know what happened to the sasaeng fan. So yes, the title says it all. Good choice!
description, foreword & tags: 9/10
DESCRIPTION
Actually, it's good that we have the description. Because this is very helpful throughout the story. It contains just enough information to get you started. Without the description, I think some of the readers might get lost in the storyline. It's our guidance throughout the story. You did use the description also to introduce us to the characters. It's a treat, because you have so many of them in the story. It's great that we already have an overview of the main characters at least.
FOREWORD
The space has been used to give us a peek at your tracklist that you were listening to while writing the story. It's amazing how someone can get such a great story out of all the tracks that you listened to. And after reading the story, they suit the story perfectly. Further, we see that a Thank You note has been put up for the reviews & the graphic designer.
TAGS
You have a lot of tags. All the tags that are used describe the whole story. You have made a good choice and selection of tags.
appearance - graphics: 5/5, display: 5/5
APPEARANCE/GRAPHICS
Your story has a very neat and clean look. The font that has been used is easy to read. Secondly, OMG!!! I love love love your poster! It's fit the story so well. When first looking at your poster, it's seems like a Korean Serie. I would definitely watch it. Kudos to your graphic designer. All elements on the poster already give you a sneak peek of the story! Well done!
BACKGROUND/DISPLAY
It's a good thing you choose a plain background. The brownish colour fits the story just fine. It's very enjoyable when reading the story, you don't get distracted by overpowering elements.
characterisation: 8/10
First of all, I would like to say that the characters are well developed. But let's start at the beginning.
MAIN CHARACTERS
Kim Jongdae
He's one of the main and more important characters of the story. His role in story is that of the Chief Detective for Seoul Police Department. He is this very steady no-nonsense guy, who's not easily fooled. His determination is very strongly present. But at the other hand, he is very kind and friendly towards his colleagues and love them as his own family. Throughout the story, he stays mostly in character and is very consistent and easily to read. I don't want to spoil anything yet. But there will be a rather significant change in the behaviour in the ever so calm Chen.
Oh Su-jin
She's the female partner of Chen (Kim Jongdae). She has been enrolled as a rookie to help out on the case. Actually, she's not that easy to read. I couldn't quite grasp what her personality was. It seems like she was this shy girl, who wouldn't let anyone near her. But then at the other hand, you get the feeling that she is hiding something as she doesn't want to display her true feelings. She is supposedly afraid of getting hurt. She did actually surprise me the most of all characters. There's a major twist with Su-jin. And I must be honest again, I didn’t see that one coming. You did a marvellous job here.
Kim Minseok
He’s the Officer under Seoul Police Investigations Unit together with his partner in crime Song Mino. He is the next power duo that’s doing the investigation of the case. They all have their own methods to achieve information and to reach their goal. He stays quite consistent throughout the story. First he’s being kept in the background as Chen and Su-jin play the bigger roles in the story. But still his character isn’t less important. You do describe them so beautiful in the story and I quote: “Minseok had been smaller, more scared and less inclined to stick his neck out in case of emergencies,” I couldn’t describe any better. I do like the character of Xiumin. There are no major changes to his character. Does he change throughout the story? Of Course, but still it is less noticeable than other characters in the story.
Song Mino
He’s the other half of the crazy and unexplainable duo. Just as Mino, you wouldn’t think those two would be the perfect match for each other. But actually they are. They complement one another. Whereas Xiumin is the more timid one, you have Mino better known as ‘the hard one’. He’s not the chatty type as you explained in your story. That’s probably because of his tough background and all the things he experienced. He likes to take action to get everything settled. He as well as Minseok don’t change that much in the story. Some small changes are noticeable as story goes on. He also stays consistent.
Kwon Jiyong | The Dragon
One of the other big players in the story is Jiyong, better known as “The Dragon”. He got that name because of everything he did to achieve his current position. Most of the people fear them, others are as corrupt as he is and want to be in his circle of culprits. But The Dragon doesn’t let just anyone enter, he needs to get benefits from them that can upgrade his current position and maintain it offcourse. If you go against him, your fate is sealed already in the cruellest way possible, death. He gave me the vibe of being two faced. Because you have the cruel Dragon personality and at the other hand he’s actually human and can manage to show some feelings like caring for his Lady in crime CL. Even though, he’s one hell of a confusing character, he doesn’t change much either and is rather consistent as well.
Lee Chaerin | CL
Last but not least, we have one feisty lady. She has had a crappy youth and experienced horrible things at a young age, which actually made her to the person she is right now. She doesn’t show mercy to anyone. If she has a mission to kill someone, she will do it without even given a wince. She is also two faced. She was a nice and much friendlier girl in her earlier live. Unfortunately for her, something major changed her character completely. She is the female partner, sort of speaking,, from the Dragon. She accompanies him everywhere he goes. I think the purpose of having Chaerin, is to distract the possible alliances that the Dragon has to make. She’s off limits to everyone except for the Dragon. She does have a mind of her own. She didn’t surprise me that much, but still a little bit. If you are reading the story, you know that something is not completely right and straightforward with her. Something is bound to happen at some point in the story. Still I won’t spoiler, so I will leave it at that.
SIDE CHARACTERS
You have so many characters that sometimes it isn’t that easy to get a grip of everyone. A lot of side characters do play minor parts in the story but are still needed to complete your story. But even at that point, you did a great job of giving them a voice and a bit of character building.
plot: 18/20
The plot of the story was intriguing, interesting and quite unique. Well, this kind of plot can be realistic in some parts of the world. This is the perfect plot for a Korean movie. Again, I would definitely watch it. I love those kind of plots. When reading your story, I couldn’t imagine at all what would be the outcome of the case and the story itself, you kept us in the loop and in the end you did strike back. You surprised me. I was still enjoying the idea of Su-jin and Jongdae in their budding romance. It was an exciting rollercoaster ride to solve the riddle of the case with a very surprising end. Well done!
consistency/flow: 7/10
It was rather consistent and had a nice ongoing flow in the beginning. But unfortunately, as the story continued, I got the feeling of getting lost a bit in your story. Most of the time, it was easy to follow and it was clear what was going to happen. But at a certain moment you went back and forward in time and after that it became a bit confusing and chaotic the follow the storyline.
grammar, spelling & punctuation: 13/15
Well to be honest, believe it or not, I couldn't find any major not even a minor mistake in your story. I even read your story again to be sure, I didn't miss one. All tenses are used correctly and the commas and speech marks are also used in the correct way. I did noticed some very interesting words, that aren't used very often but do fit in the content of this story. Your English writing is actually of high standard. Even for me, for whom English is like my third or fourth language, I'm not even able to use such educated words even if I would try :) I love writing reviews and reading and must be honest that my English did improve. But still, wow you are something alright! Well done! Keep up the good work, i like your writing style and love how you intrigue me with the words.
Chapters with YOU in it: (it could that I missed still some of them, but those are the ones I spotted)
Chpt 4.
Jongdae and you sat next to each other across the table from Shin’s parents, and exchanged looks. It was evident who the nicer one had been, and it was definitely the father.
Chpt 7.
Nobody knew this information prior to Jongdae having spoken it just now, and it came as a shock to you.

Your curiosity was getting the better of you, but you were anxious as to what might come out of Jongdae’s mouth next

Chpt 10.
The guard rose and fiddled with the keys and finally opened it, and you rushed inside and grabbed Himchan from under the bunk bed.
Chpt 15.
“Hey, come back.” You said and looked at him quizzically. He jerked a little and breathed out, putting that smile back on.
“Hm? Oh, hah… Sorry.”
“Don’t be. What’s on your mind?”
Jongdae took half a breath and stopped himself before he finished. His curved lips opened and closed, before he spoke as softly as he could.
“I really meant it, you know.”
Chpt 19.
“Thank you for cooperating.” Jongdae said, and turned. His black coat swayed as he walked, and your shoes clicked on the linoleum floor. The door to Himchan’s room was slid shut behind you, and you began driving back to the office again.
structure: 5/5
Paragraphs are essential in a story – and you are using them! It makes your story and chapters that more enjoyable to read. Well done!
readers' response: 4/5
These are your stats:
41 upvotes
282 subs
7717 views
94 comments
Your story does have so many views, too bad they all didn’t subscribe to your story. That way, it would be definitely get features, which it deserves. This story keeps your attention from beginning till the end. The only way is up, I do think that in the near future, the possibility is there to get featured though. I would say go for it! You are doing great. I think most of your readers are the silent type though. As for your comments, I can see that you take your time and do an effort to respond as quick as possible. Don’t give up, you will get there!
overall enjoyment: 8/10
I loved your story. From beginning till end. Actually, I couldn’t get enough of it, I wanted to keep going. Because I was curious what would happen next. It must be said, it maybe wasn’t always that easy to follow but still.. it was a very exciting story! I would definitely recommend everyone to read it! Even, if you are that big of a fan of all the characters, it’s worth reading!

 

total grade: 87/100

 

notes
DATE REQUESTED: 151015
 
DATE COMPLETED: 151222
 
REVIEWER: StephLovesKCulture (Steph)
 
COMMENTS: Well, let me say this, go and read the story. This is another amazing story that will keep you intrigued until the end! Secondly, I would like to apologise on behalf of me and Saki for the long wait before getting your review. Due to circumstances, it took a while longer than planned. Nevertheless, enjoy your review!
 
REMINDER
Please remember to comment when you have picked up. Please also credit the shop AS WELL AS the reviewer. If there are any problems, please contact the owener or the reviewer via PM.