>> Crossfire

Heart, Mind & Seoul Reviews Archive
The brightest star will shine the most no matter how many others there are.
 
tumblr_nw4teksc4H1uyv6eso1_1280.png
 
navigation
 
 
 
 
 
Review
 
poster
crossfire

BY FullReverse

 

 

CHARACTERS · Do Kyungsoo, Kim Joonmyun, Kim Jongdae, Zhang Yixing

STATUS · Ongoing

DESCRIPTION· The call of the civilian world was too great for Joonmyun and Kyungsoo. But, it's only a matter of time because they're pulled back into the crossfire once again. After all once you're in, you're in forever.

>>STORY LINK<<

 


story title: 5/5
The title is captivating enough to wanting to read your story. While this title can be used for many different stories, it's always up to the author to make sure that the title and the story stands out from the crowd. That being said, originality and uniqueness, is not something I would directly associate with this title. Unfortunately, a lot of authors are having the same idea when choosing a title. This because it can have so many different meanings. It's eye catching, because it only contains one word and it does hold a mystery to it. Based on what I read so far, I can totally understand why you choose that title. It suits your story thus far. Overall, it's a fine choice for a title! Well done!
description, foreword & tags: 9/10
DESCRIPTION
Well, to be honest, you do give us already a lot of information in the description. Some would say already a bit too much. From what I read so far, it contains already everything that has been described in the description. Though, I'm still curious how the story will evolve of course. I love how you incorporate already your title in your description, there is no other way to do without. The meaning of the title is going to be explained throughout the 5 first chapters. The information received is relevant to the story. I would even consider and say that the description can be used as prologue to the story. If so, that makes the story that much easier to follow. Also, it's a good way to say thank you to everyone, which you did. Good job!

FOREWORD
In your foreword, you give the readers already a sneakpeak into your story by using one of the dialogues used in your story itself. This is also an excellent way to keep the attention of your readers. It does spike your readers interest. It short but so effective.

TAGS
The tags used are the right ones and most suited to the story. They inform us that it's going to be about the maffia concept and also which couples you used to shine in your story. These are the most competent ones for your story.

appearance - graphics: 5/5, display: 4/5
GRAPHICS
When looking at your poster, I have only word for you: EXTRAORDINARY! It seems like your graphic designer took a different approach to create this poster for your story. It's impeccable and does display the different aspects of the story, some are more prominent than other but still.. It screams maffia and action! Well done and kudos to your graphic designer.

DISPLAY
The overall look of your story is very neat and tight. You made sure it wasn't a mess and very clear to your readers. While I do like your poster a lot, the chapter layout used is a bit weird for your story. It gives us a totally other vibe than the poster. It's certainly a clean and very clear chapter layout but still, something seems off.. As reader, we like it alot when the author puts in the effort to use a chapter layout. I don't want to make a fuss about it, just something I noticed. Apart from keep up the good work to keep everything clean and tight!

characterisation: 7/10
You are only 5 chapters far but we already encountered so many characters. I will try to do my best to include them all.

MAIN CHARACTERS/GROUPS : 2NE1 - EXO
KYUNGSOO aka D.O
In the story he's not a part of the boygroup EXO. He's an individual. To be honest and this counts for everyone, it's very difficult to give a complete description yet of his character, as I do feel that it hasn't been developped enough. He strikes me as a strong personality with a huge caring heart for the people around him. He would go through fire to protect his loved ones. He has a great passion for his job, this means his passion for cooking throughout his restaurant in the civil world and his passion for the thrill and danger in the maffia world. Other than that, I didn't get the feeling yet that I know him as it should be. We comprehend that Chen takes a liking in him and that he actually doesn't mind it even though it can't happen. I do hope that in the future chapters, his character will evolve more. There are no major changes yet.

JOONMYUN aka SUHO
Joonmyun is also an individual in story and works together with Kyungsoo. Both of them wanted to taste the real world and therefore left the danger of the mafia world behind them. But they soon come to realise that they can't escape their fate and are soon caught up again in the thrill and rush of the mafia world. Joonmyun has a civil job within the company of Onew, who's a multi-billionaire. He can be seen as the more responsible one in the story, it looks like he has obtained the most wisdom as well to handle certain situations. Apart from that his character is a bit equal to Kyungsoo. Also according Lay, he has a nice body, which is much to the liking of Lay.

2NE1: CL, Dara, Minzy, Bom
They are seen as the QUEENS of the mafia world/criminal world. Nobody in their right mind would dare to mess with them and still it is happening. They each have their own individual strength and personality but are seen like a very tight entity. They are also the "caretakers" of Kyungsoo and Joonmyun. They are feared by many of the mafia world due to their reputations that precede them. Also with them I didn't encounter much change yet and I do anticipate the further development of their characters.

SIDE CHARACTERS: EXO - BTS - BIGBANG - SM & YG - SHINEE - SNSD
You have so many side characters that it becomes almost dangerously confusing to keep track of them all. I wrote them all down to not forget one of them and also to keep track of them. This is what I obtained as information, which can be useful as well for future readers.

EXO also known as PROJECT "EL DORADO"

  • part of the company SM
  • they can be seen as the kidnappers of DARA and MINZY as well as Joonmyun & Kyungsoo
  • members present of the gang and their roles:
    > Chen: captor of DO - has taken a liking to DO
    > Baekhyun
    > Sehun
    > Chanyeol
    > Kris (who appears to be the leader of the gang)
    > Luhan
    > Lay (who has taken an interest in Suho)
  • stationed in the EXO HQ in an unknown location

    BTS: former Elite in the Mafia World

  • staff and part of the famous restaurent "Promise" ruled by Kyungsoo
  • 3 cooks in the restaurant: Taehyung (V), Jungkook, Yoongi (Suga)
  • 2 waiters: Jimin & Hoseok (J-Hope)
  • Occupation rather unknown: Namjoon (Rapmon) & Seokjin (Jin)
  • great support to Chef Cook Kyungsoo
  • Ready to go back into the criminal world to save their leader
  • Random info: Jihyun is the sister of Jungkook
  • Extra: I like the side story of how BTS came together as one entity.

    SM <=> YG: Rivalry between both companies

    BIGBANG: also one of the players in the criminal world - nothing much has been revealed yet.

    SHINEE

  • Past members of the criminal world
  • All members work in the multi-billionaire company of Onew
  • Still slightly connected with the criminal world
  • same as with BTS, they are not afraid to enter their past life again to help out their co-workers/boss

    SNSD <=> 2NE1: Rivalry between both groups
    Lee Eunseo: spy for SNSD

    It seems like we could retrieve more details from all the side characters than the main characters. I do hope that you keep up the good work to achieve more development as well for the main characters.

plot: 16/20
This plot can be realistic in some parts of the world where the maffia still got the majority of the country in hand. To be honest, mafia stories tend to be cliché as well. It's a tricky business writing stories about the mafia world because most of the author seems to go for the same kind of story. I'm curious how the story will evolve. Every story I read so far with this theme made me wanting to read more. So far, I'm anticipating on what will happen next. You have a different approach on the theme. You made your characters long for the normal life amongst the civilians. Unfortunately, fate has decided otherwise. We are only at the beginning of your story and it's slowly building up to the plot. We know the background of most of the characters which makes it much more easy for us to continue and live up to your plot of the story.
consistency/flow: 7/10
The first chapter almost wanted me to stop reading the story, not because it wasn't interesting but because of all the characters pushed into one chapter which made it mind blowing to read and to follow. I know it's never easy to start the first chapter of the story, because you have to take into consideration what you are going to give us as information to keep our interest to actually continue the story. So that made for me the first chapter a bit choppy and not consistent. There were so many characters introduced to us and it went so quickly from situation A into B, that it actually confused me. But I stayed courageous and continued the story. It eased my mind more when I started chapter two which in my eyes made more sense and wasn't so quick and choppy. Apart from the first chapter, which will be always the most tricky one, the flow is rather consistent and smooth. You tend to give us so much details and characters at once that we as readers might get lost in it. Which was for me the case in Chapter One. Please pay attention to that, because other than that your story has great potential
grammar, spelling & punctuation: 15/15
I'm amazed by the use of the English language in your story. I was informed that English wasn't your first language but that you are fluent in the language anyhow. It's noticeable that you take great care of your writing and the use of the language therefor I like to congratulate you. It was a pleasure reading your story thus far. No major mistakes were made, i think you only were so excited to write your story that you have overlooked some minimal typos. I will just point them out to you.

Chpt 2

  • Onew cursed, seeing how detached he was from his old life. “But, what about you? Are you alight?”
    > can it be that you intended to say: "Are you alright?"

     

  • Bye, Joonmyun-ah. Keep sage. Don’t let me suffer with Taemin for too long.” The call ended, leaving Joonmyun feeling happy that Onew cared for him, despite the situation.
    > can it be that you intended to say: "Keep safe"

    Chpt 5

  • "You should listen to your hyung, little firecracker," Baekyhun cooed with a smirk. "You might end up leaving with a few missing parts." Kyungsoo ddn't need to guess what those parts would be. His restaurant had been held hostage more within the last two days than he had been all his life.
    > can it be that you intended to say: Kyungsoo didn't need to guess..

    That's all for this section. I love your writing style which makes the story that more pleasant to read. Keep on going!

structure: 5/5
Paragraphs are essential in a story – and you are using them. It's good to use paragraphs than only one chunk of text. It makes your story easier to read and to follow. It allows you to "breath" between the lines. I rather prefer chapters that are structured than just a complete text where you don't see the end of it. Again, it's off course up to the authornim, to introduce paragraphs to the chapters of not. It also gives a more cleaner and better visual of the chapters.
readers' response: 3/5
These are your stats
10 upvotes
72 subs
1022 views
16 comments

My first question after seeing the statistics for your story, why doesn't your story have more subs? This is a story with great potential and you have taken care of your story with great precaution. It saddens me to see that you have more silent readers apparently than subs and comments. But don't lose faith, I'm sure that one day, your story will get the attention it deserve. You also take great pleasure in reading your comments and giving feedback on them. Your readers and commenters most importantly are your support and feedback whenever you need it. Don't stop believing and carry on with what you are doing and you will get there soon!

overall enjoyment: 8/10
This is an interesting story. I got quite fond of your story after the 5 chapters I read. Yet again, I'm anticipating to carry on reading. I like and I'm impressed with your writing style. Damn, if only I could write like that. Well I'm doing my best. Anyways, keep on writing!

 

total grade: 84/100

 

notes
DATE REQUESTED: 29/01/16
 
DATE COMPLETED: 13/02/16
 
REVIEWER: StephLovesKCulture
 
COMMENTS: *Mian* for the superlong wait due to personal health issues. Apart from that, thanks for choosing Heart, Mind & Seoul to review your story. I liked reading your story and will definitely keep taps on this story. Keep on going!
 
REMINDER
Please remember to comment when you have picked up. Please also credit the shop AS WELL AS the reviewer. If there are any problems, please contact the owener or the reviewer via PM.