Chapter 26- Sneaky son of a bi...

Pride and Prejudice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A long, long chapter here. It is actually the length of two chapters, but I couldn't split it to interrupt the flow of the story. Now, people asked how Luhan convinced Ji An to go to the dance. So, I am giving you Minseok's view of that situation. 

*****************************************

Valentine's day

20: 35 p.m.

 

Minseok's POV

 

Minseok was slurping his noodles in a cup, not looking away from his target.  It was Valentine's day and it was cold as balls outside but there he was sitting in front of the convenience store eating his cup ramen like a crazy person. Like. With what he was about to pull off, like was out of the question. He certainly was bat crazy. He glanced a his cellphone and smirked. The dance had already started half an hour ago which only meant his prey had certainly let her guard down. Which of course was his goal all along. When he had proposed that bet on Thursday, well, let's say that one was a surprise for him too. But there she was waving with that Like I would ever in front of him and he couldn't resist it. It was a challenge and he never backed away from one. Also, to see that aegyo....God, he wanted  to see that so badly. To know he had beaten her and that she would have to be a cute adorable creature, instead of a demon.To be the first one to see that and laugh his off at seeing something so unnatural. No. To be the only one to see that, ever. That was the point. She is going to always have to remember it and cringe at the thought he saw her like that. He was ready for whatever condition she had to see it. Now, he had no idea how he was going to pull that off and putting their quality time together at stake was risky but Minseok didn't worry too much about it. He knew an idea was going to come to him sooner or later and luckily it was sooner rather than later. He smirked a little, tapping his fingers on the cup.

She forbid him in using her friends so that way was a certain no-no. But she didn't say anything about housekeepers. He smiled a little, eating his last noodle thinking back to Monday when he was struck with an idea. Idea he got from listening in to a conversation but still, an idea. Just like most of his plans, it relied heavily on luck and improvisation but the unexpected was the way to go when it came to the demon. She had been looking at him suspiciously for the entire week, well when she wasn't busy playing matchmaker in the school, surprised that he didn't try anything...douchebaggy. He did ask her on Monday, so it could be viewed as a try, right? Even that day when she was leaving school she gave him a suspicious look, like she half expected him to try to kidnap her. But he just smiled and waved, with the plan in his mind for days now. Now he was just waiting to see the woman who would play a crucial part in it, someone who he only heard stories about. The fearsome ahjumma. It was Monday and the coven was on their way to class they luckily shared with the boys which gave Minseok the opportunity to listen in.

„ So, ahjumma will come to your house on Friday? Where is her husband?“ Soo Ae asked, not really paying attention while she was checking her cellphone. The demon was reading a paper some third grade student from her debate club gave her earlier, not glancing up when she responded.

„ He needs to go deliver some stuff in Daegu on Friday so he will be gone for the whole weekend. So ahjumma and I will be enjoying the single life with whatever bull sappy drama she decides to watch. God, I can't believe I will have to watch some romantic bull. Urgh. But we compromised. She will make me a cake in return.“

 „ Well, that certainly sounds like our ahjumma. The only woman who can make Yeon Hee the demon to compromise on something.“

„ Only because it's cake.“

He had already half planned somehow turning up where he was least expected when she thought it was all over and felt secure, like he usually did. Her home was certainly an appealing option but this, this got his attention.The word compromise mostly caught on him beacuse the mere idea she feelt the need to compromise with somebody was unreal. Even their compromise was more or less blatant blackmail from both sides. If he could get that woman to let him in the house and if he could get her support, Yeon Hee would have a hard time handling them both at the same time. If he catches her off guard and survives it....well, it was his best shot. To catch such a demon off guard he needed an improvised scenario relying heavily on luck and a stranger. He always liked a good challenge.  And getting the woman to support him, well, women just naturally fell for him. So he wasn't worried about that. Even if her father ends up being there, Minseok was sure he wasn't going to meddle. He will probably bring something to snack and laugh at the situation. Unless Minseok does something stupid. Which wasn't in his plans.Thankfully for him she put nothing about visiting each other's homes or bothering each other's employees in the truce. Now, she must have thought that was a ludicrous idea when it was well, fairly obvious such a word didn't exist in Minseok's vocabulary.

So the natural thing in the plan that was slowly creating in his mind was to find out more about that fearsome woman who can make even the demon change her habits. So he naturally had to go for Ji An next. But not to bother her. No. That would be breaking the truce. And that was..unforgivable. It was just a normal lunch on Wednesday while the other two and Luhan were expected to return late from the meeting. Chen ran away somewhere, dragging the unicorn with him. Tao was checking his selfies and Kris was staring at the sky, probably dreaming of whatever the hell weirdo galaxy the giant fell from. So there he was, carefully guiding the conversation with Ji An who was unsuspecting of anything. The girl really could have talked when she relaxed a bit, which was obviously one of the many reasons the other two kept such a close eye on her. But then again...they weren't there now, were they? So he started with some family questions, switching to Soo Ae's family and then finally getting to the demon herself, all the while disguising the conversation as mere admiration for their friendship which was so strong even if all the girls came from different backgrounds. Now that part wasn't a ploy. The bond between them was sometimes truly scary and he was genuinely interested in how it even came about. Information on the other hand was a bonus.

 „ It think it was mostly because none of us has sisters, so we kinda just view ourselves as sisters. Sisters we chose. Ok, who they chose, because they kinda just picked me to be with them.“

„ Seriously?“ Now, that was a surprise.

„ The way they tell the story, the day I came to this school Yeon Hee elbowed Soo Ae and said that she wanted me in the group. She later told me that artistic side of me reminded her of her mother a little. She also said I looked like a lost puppy. She likes puppies. Now that I think about it, I don't find it endearing at all....“ The pixie frowned at that last sentence but the part about her mother was what truly got to him.

„ Her mother?“

„ Yeah, she doesn't really talk about her, but it was clear she adored her. It just sometimes strikes her you know? Soo Ae's parents are divorced but she gets to spend some time with her mother while I see mine every day. But then again, Yeon Hee has her father who would stop at nothing for her. And of course there is ahjumma.“ The girl was so sweet, giving information so easily without even realizing it.

„ Who is this ahjumma you keep mentioning?“ He asked nonchalantly, trying to seem like he didn't care about it. Ji An smiled a little in surprise.

„ Omo, I really shouldn't be telling all of this. Those two always say I talk too much.“

„ Well, we are just talking normally right while we are waiting for them. How can this information be of any use to me?“ Oh, he was so evil.

„ Ahjumma is a superwoman. A houskeeper who is actually a nanny and a cook and everything else in between. The only person who Yeon Hee sometimes listens to. She even made her drink tea instead of coffee when she was sick. For five days. Now that is something nobody else can do. She practically raised her with her parents. And to raise Yeon Hee and to be able to resist her....those are some skills.“ The rest of that conversation was interrupted when Luhan ran into the cafeteria like he was being chased by the devil himself. He stood there panting before yelling to no one in particular.

„ I am here!“ Oh, boy. He finally lost it. He suddenly ran to Ji An causing her to jump up and accidentally drop her spoon into the soup, splashing the whole table and everything on it, including Tao's smartphone. Tao immediately stood up, whining at her with a frown on his face.

„ Ji An noona!“

„ Dance!“ Luhan yelled in Mandarin, causing Ji An to back away with shock obvious in her eyes because she didn't understand him. Kris rolled his eyes and Tao was wiping his phone while Minseok snickered a little. This kind of a situation had the demon written all over it. The fact that she and Soo Ae weren't here made it that much more obvious. Ji An shook her head a little, obviously confused.

„ I am sorry, I don't speak..“ Luhan looked around, his eyes narrowing.

„ Where is that meddling giant?! More manly....more decisive my ....“ He flipped between Korean and Mandarin, obvisouly unaware of how uncomfortable he was making his crush feel while she stared at him like he was half crazy. Well, he obviously was.

 „ Lu, dude, easy on the crazy.“ Kris said, nodding at Ji An. Minseok was still laughing his on the inside at the absurdity of the conversation that just took place. What did those two witches even say to him? Luhan shook his head, still trying to catch his breath before staring at Ji An, who widened her eyes and blushed at the intensity of the  glare.

„ Dance?!“ At least this time it was in Korean. Minseok laughed a little, covering his face so it wasn't obvious.

„ Ahm...what?“ Luhan raised his hand and just stood there for a second, obviously starting to think this approach through.

 „ Were you already invited to the dance by somebody?“ Ji An covered with her hand and backed away, stepping on Tao's foot. For a moment only a slur of curses could be heard from the table coming from the maknae of the dweebs how Soo Ae called them while Minseok barely controlled his laughter.

„ I mean..ahm..are you going to go..with somebody...?“ Ji An made  a confused face and shook her head.

„ I don't know. I haven't been asked yet.“

„ Oh, thank God, my spleen is killing me!“Luhan said finally leaning on the table, holding his abdomen. His face blushed a little when he pulled something out of his pocket and gave it to Ji An. It was a role of film, the ones they used for those ancient cameras.She looked at it in confusion and then back at him.

„ It took me a while to find that thing.“ Luhan said while smiling at her.

„ Ahm..thanks?“ He panicked a little before pointing at it.

„ It's the right one, right? I heard you talking to the girls the other day and you said you had one of those old fashioned cameras as well?“

„ You...you heard that?“ Minseok raised his eyebrow. It seems he wasn't the only one listening to the girls when they talked. Yeon Hee liked to pretend most of the time that they weren't there, especially him so she mostly talked to girls, only to lash out sometimes at Tao for calling her noona or Chen for being Chen. This particular conversation happened on Friday in Math class when the other two started arguing causing the demon to cover her head with her blazer mumbling something about getting new friends.The conversation was mostly Ji An's monologue about vintage cameras giving a certain flare to photos and the whole process was a lot slower which just made it more special. Ji An was without a doubt, an embodiment of an artistic eccentric hipster. He originally thought she was the one who was the most normal out of all of them, but her sudden speeches about the cruel world and technology chaining her creativity, to which Soo Ae just rolled her eyes obviously accustomed to it, changed his mind. They were all weird. Well, Luhan was a big sack of weird too, so they kinda went together. Soo Ae was just saying that the digital stuff was faster and more quality.To which the pixie responded in a long monologue which he frankly didn't listen to while she was saying something about the flaws making it more unique. She claimed she only takes special pictures with that camera, which mean everything to her.She finished her long lecture with the conclusion that new age technology freaks like Soo Ae couldn't understand the beauty of flaws. Now when he thought about it, Luhan was creepily staring and eavesdropping at them. Who would have taught the boy would remember that? Who would have taught he would listen to that whole speech to the end? Now, that was the real surprise.

„ It is the right one. But why...?“ Luhan took a deep breath before looking her straight in the eyes, his face twisting into one of those half nervous, half slightly creepy expressions he had.

„ I just...you said you took only special pictures with that camera. I was hoping you would have a picture of us on Friday. I...want to ask you...“

„ YES!“ Ji An squeaked, scaring the living crap out of Kris who almost choked on his mineral water when she waved her hand, accidentally hitting Tao in the nose.

" Mother..." He squealed behind her gripping it but she didn't even notice.

„ And a lot more pictures after that one....wait, what?!“ He looked up at her, confused, while she pressed her lips, acting like she didn't practically pierced everybody's ears and the sound wall. Tao's eyes were full of tears and a string of silent curses was coming from his mouth causing Kris to pull him down to the chair and tell him to shut up. 

„ What were you going to ask? I am sorry, I didn't catch that.“ Minseok laughed this time out loud, causing everybody to turn to look at him. Ji An was rocking on her high heels, looking at Luhan who stared back at her, confused as hell.

„ Um..if you are going to go to the dance with me? A..and to take a special picture of that..“ Ji An nodded this time, acting like she was thinking it through before smiling widely.

„ Yeah...I think I can do that. I will be thrilled to go with you.“ He smiled back at her, obviously relieved and they just stood there staring at each other like a pair of idiots until they heard sounds of a guitar from the lobby. The whole cafeteria ran out and when they heard Chen's voice everybody from his table ran out as well, leaving Minseok alone and laughing while eating his kimpab. His friends were so overly dramatic sometimes, it was hilarious. Boy, oh, boy, what an exciting day for all of them. But Minseok now finally had enough information to make the Friday more exciting as well.

Now, would sitting in front of the convenience store and staring at the building where Yeon Hee the demon lived for half an hour possibly be considered stalking? Perhaps, if he didn't have a justification to be there. He glanced at the black wallet on the table and smiled remembering the scene that caused him to have it.He made Tao distract her with his usual Gucci loving speeches, grabbing Yeon Hee's backpack as he held her a lesson about fashionable accessories. Chen then knocked his soda on the table, causing everybody to jump up, trying to save their stuff an opportunity which Tao used to get her wallet and slip it under the table to Minseok, practically shaking in fear that she would find out about it. But she didn't notice, cursing at Chen because he spilled his soda on her lunch. Minseok took the wallet from the table and glanced at it, not daring to open it. If he did...now there would really be hell on Earth and she would seriously murder him at the spot. But he needed a good excuse to give to the woman that was rumoured to be the only living creature who can make Yeon Hee do things against her own will. He looked again at his cellphone to check the time before looking up and seeing a woman in her early fifties approaching the building while carrying some groceries. He smiled knowing that she had to be the one he was waiting for. Now it was just the time to play his part right. Come on Minseok. Making an ahjumma like you. Piece of cake. He looked up at the top floor of the building where he figured Yeon Hee was living and smiled. It was time. He stood up and threw the cup in the trash can nearby and rushed to the building before he slowed down in front of the doorman, looking at him with confusion on his face.

„ Excuse me, ahjussi, do you know if a Moon Yeon Hee lives in this building?“ The doorman nodded and looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

„ Indeed she does but....“

„ But the question is why you are asking for her, if I may ask?“ He heard a woman's voice coming from behind him and supressed a smile, turning around with the confusion still obvious on his face when the woman's dark eyes widened in surprise.

„ I was wondering if someone can return this to her, she lost it in school today.“ He waved her wallet in air causing the woman to glance between the wallet and him before sighing in exasperation.

„ That girl is going to lose her head one day.....“ She smiled at him suddenly, glancing him up and down.

„ Excuse my manners, I didn't even introduce myself. I am Mrs. Song, but commonly known as ahjumma. I am the Moons houskeeper. And you are?“ Minseok bowed, not fazed by the look the woman was giving him.

„ Kim Minseok. I am Yeon Hee's classmate.“

„ A classmate? You must be quite a colleague if you are willing to return a lost wallet on Friday night and Valentine's day at that.“ Oh, lovely. The woman who looked like a sweet ahjumma who bakes cookies is actually suspicious as hell. Just like everybody who were ever involved with Yeon Hee were too. He smiled and nodded politely at her.

„ I was on my way to the dance and I remembered that I should return it. Yeon Hee must be looking for it.“

„ Aren't you a sweetheart, Mister Kim.“ She smiled and nodded at the doorman before stepping inside, carrying the groceries in her hand when she turned to him.

„ I happen to believe Yeon Hee would be thrilled to thank you in person. Unless you are busy. Then I will hand it to her myself.“ Oh, I am so good. He acted like he was hesitant about her suggestion, glancing at his cellphone before shrugging his shoulders.

„ I guess I can spare 5 minutes.“ She smiled and approached the elevator, calling for it and Minseok followed after her having a flashback of the elevator talk he had with her father. An adventurer called Idiot came across a scary Drakula castle. And a dragon ate him. What a lovely story. And an even lovelier warning. Her father really was something else. But so was his daughter. How could he leave her alone when she was the most amusing person he encountered in his life? He wakes up with new ideas to get on her nerves and that feeling of boredom has long disappeared. So how can he leave her alone if she was so fascinating to him?  When he finds out what makes her so special when he finally unravels her and realizes how she functions he will lose interest in her. Only then is he finally going to be able to move on. So losing this bet was not possible. Letting her win was not going to be an option. They have a long, long way ahead of them during which he will finally get to know her. Then and only then will he let her go. When he can proudly proclaim he finally managed to understand the most wicked, scary, sarcastic, complicated demon girl in the world. And that he was the only one who will ever manage to do that.

„ Won't your date be upset if you are running late? I am sure I can hand it to Yeon Hee just fine.“  Oh, no, no, no. My date is upstairs. He smiled before following her into the elevator.

„ My date rejected me.“ She glanced him up and down again and shook her head with a raised eyebrow.

„ Is she blind?“ He laughed a little at her comment. No, but she hates me.

„ No.“

„ That only leaves my stubborn Yeon Hee then.“ Boy. He wasn't feeling so confident all of a sudden. She already figured that out? Is everybody in her family so....scary? He smiled, not saying anything anymore while the elevator music played in the background. The elevator stopped at the highest floor and the woman, ahjumma walked out checking if he was following her. He suddenly got shivers on his neck while standing in front of the door of her apartment. He reread the contract 20 times and there was nothing that said they couldn't visit each other's homes.Now there was that no stalking rule, which he carefully avoided by having a real reason to be there which was that damn lost wallet. He was bending so many rules and praying to all the gods he wasn't breaking them. Ahjumma opened the door and loud music started to overwhelm them when ahjumma walked in, calling him in with a finger gesture, fully aware that he could barely hear her voice through the music which he recognized. Taemin- Danger. How fitting. He barely hesitated, then proceeded to walk in and look around, feeling his chest clench a little. Now comes the tricky part. He got into her house but she may or may not murder him, no matter the truce. He breathed deep to calm himself, knowing he was about to feel the Fury's fury.

„ I always tell her to lower it down...Jesus...“ Ahjumma said while leaving the groceries on the counter as he glanced around the modern, bright apartment that was the Fury's den. It was...not what he had expected. It was all in light colours, spacious,with wodden and glass furniture scattered around. It was all very comfortable. Warm. 

„ Ahjumma! Is that you?!!!! I can't find my wolf slippers anywhere! Ahjummaaaa?!“ Her voice broke out from the room that was closed and separated from the rest of the apartment by a couple of stairs but her whining tone could be heard even through the extremely loud music. The woman behind him yelled back at her.

„ In the closet in your room!“

„ I looked!“

„ Look harder!“

„ But ahjummaaaa.....“ The woman behind him scoffed and turned to him.

„ Isn't she a brat?“ Minseok frowned a little at the very loud beat that was echoing through the apartment. The woman shrugged her shoulders, shaking her head in displeasure.

„ She will be deaf one day. But on the other hand, even if it doesn't sound like it, that's one of the songs she listens to when she is happy. She did sound happy on the phone earlier though....I wonder why.“ Maybe because she believes she beat me and that she got rid of me forever. Which, she obviously didn't. All of a sudden the door to her room opened and she went out, drying her wet hair with a towel, only in a tank top and pajama bottoms, not looking up at them, the song behind her now silenced so she could talk. He gulped while stepping back from her. It was something...forbidden to see her like that. Boy, I am dead. What did I get myself into?

„ I still can't find it, ahjumma. Why do you keep rearran

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter