Chapter 23- Sharing

Pride and Prejudice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Fair warning-This chapter is a rollercoaster. I hope I managed to balance it out, the pain and the humour.

******************************************

Yeon Hee was making her way through the unknown path she chose to walk on, busting out some dance moves listening to Vodoo doll by VIXX. She yawned a little, rustling her hair which was wavy from the braid she wore yesterday before pulling the sleeves of her hoodie on her knuckles, snuggling further into her warm jacket. Damn, it was cold. But she needed to get out and get some fresh air, especially taking into consideration she missed breakfast and didn't get to drink coffee. So she was reduced to her stash of candy instead, which was the reason she was currently ravaging her bag of chocolate sticks. Not to mention the hotel seemed so stuffy now, when she knew both the jackass and his mother were there. She snuck out, afraid one of them was going to notice her and come barrelling down to bother her. She was beginning to be paranoid. Those two obviously had much more important business to take care of instead of worrying about her. I am dying to know about their conversation, sweet Jesus.

She turned around, furrowing her eyebrows at her unfamiliar surroundings.She could just turn around and return to the main beach....but what is at the end of this path? She has been walking for half an hour now, moving further away from the main beach and the sounds of the cars on the road were almost lost in the distance. The path she chose was almost hidden and obviously not popular with people and she was following it, not even caring where she ended up, just enjoying being alone and away from everything. When the next song came up, this time it was the opening from Blue Exorcist, Yeon Hee smiled and wiggled her hips while continuing to walk. Let's see where it leads. Ah, Yeon Hee curiosity is going to get you one day. I swear. Curiosity and your mouth. After 10 more minutes she finally saw the path ending and the sea shimmering in the distance. She rushed ahead, arriving at the edge of the path, smiling at the sea in front of her. She then proceeded to turn her gaze to the small sandy beach and her smile froze on her face when she yelled in frustration.

„ Yah! Are you stalking me?!“ He barely glanced at her, raising his eyebrow when he responded in an indifferent voice.

„ If I were stalking you....would I be here before you came?“

„ Oh.“ Idiots. Both of them. Yeon Hee looked around, feeling really uncomfortable. He came here first....so she should leave, right?

„ I expected you would be at the Love Land if nothing.“ (a/n- Love Land is an outdoor sculpture park  in Jeju which is focused on the theme of , has a lot of sculptures showing different positions, body parts and educational movies) She said before scratching her head, still insecure about her next move. He smirked at her before responding, arrogance oozing out of him.

„ Why would I need to? I taught them everything they know about . Most of those positions are my creation.“ UGH, God.

„ Now I am glad I overslept breakfast because holy hell, we would be seeing it right now.“ He scoffed a little at her snarky comment, looking at the sea again. Oook, time to leave. She came here wanting to be alone and spending time with him wasn't an option.

„ Are you leaving or what?“ He asked nonchalantly, not even looking at her. She raised her eyebrow in amusement, seeing that her presence bothered him. Oh, now he wants her to leave? Well, well, well, how the tables have turned.

„ Oh, Cheonnie wants to be alone? Well that. Now you will finally see what it's like have a bloodsucking leech on your neck 24/7. I happen to like this beach. I think I will stick around for a while.“ She smirked and sat down, leaving enough distance between them before continuing to eat her chocolate sticks. You look horrible jackass. Payback is a . And so is she.

„ What about that no stalking rule?“ He asked, still not looking back at her.

„ I didn't know you were here so I couldn't possibly be stalking you. But I see my presence here is irritating you, which is making me as giddy as a schoolgirl. Ah, I see what's so fun about that.“ He mumbled something in his chin, something that sounded like damn Moons and Drakula castle. Yeon Hee furrowed her eyebrows in confusion while looking at him. Moons? They sat in silence, not talking at all as Yeon Hee took a deep breath, enjoying the sea air. The beach was gorgeous, the sea was slightly grey just like the sky covered in clouds and the whole sight was too beautiful to even describe in words. Except him sitting there, next to her. He still didn't talk. That was unsettling. He always had something stupid to say. She glanced at him from the corner of her eye, watching him grab the sand and letting it seep through his fingers while watching the sea, looking like he was remembering something. Remembering...Oh! This is the beach where his mom....where he almost drowned! Oh crap. She didn't know that. Maybe she should leave him alone after all, he really seemed to be in a bad state. She went to get up from the beach but was suddenly stopped by his voice which was both silent and cold.

„ I am surprised you didn't ask.“

„ Ask what?“ I want to. But I sure as hell won't. Yeon Hee took another chocolate stick and chewed on it, not looking at him.

„ Seriously, how can you eat so many candy and still be sour as a lemon?“ He scoffed at her, making her roll her eyes in return.

„ Says the guy who is as rotten as overdue eggs.“ He shook his head, pursing his lips in distaste when he spoke again.

„ I don't think food based insults work for us.“ She sighed, nodding in agreement.

„ For the first time in our lives, I completely agree with you.“ The atmosphere relaxed a little around them as she continued to eat while he picked up a cup of coffee which was placed next to him on the ground.

„ Where did you get that?“ She stared at the coffee in awe, feeling the familiar thirst appear. He smirked a little at her expression and played with the cup.

„ This little thing? There is shop that sells all kind of things 10 minutes from here.“ Oh, is there? Well, she might as well go find it. She pressed her lips, thinking about that option when he suddenly snapped his fingers at her, snapping her out of her thoughts as well.

„ What the hell did you talk about with my mother yesterday?“

„ I don't need to tell you anything, douchebag.“

„ No, I think you do. I would hate to see you fooled by her. She already did that plenty of times. Did she play the victim again? Saying how she couldn't fight it?“ Yes. Was that true? Was Yeon Hee fooled? No, impossible. His mother was drunk, but she seemed honest. More or less. But who knows with the Kim family. He chuckled bitterly while pointing at the beach.

„ Everytime I see her, she does the same thing. Starts crying, pleading, making scenes. And everytime I feel like I might forgive her I come here and remember that I will always be the second choice in my mother's life. I remember that I almost died in front of her and that she didn't care at all. I remember that she left me alone, with the bastards I call my family. A victim? Her? Give me a break.“ Yeon Hee bit her lip, looking at him and noticing a small smile lingering on his lips.  A sad smile? No, a smile of acceptance. So she did leave him! But why? He took a deep breath and looked her straight in her eyes.

„ Are you still not going to ask anything? I thought you were a curious one.“

„ I am not curious about this. It's none of my business.“ Lies, lies, lies. Yeah, that's why she overslept breakfast this morning, falling asleep around 4 AM, thinking the whole night about what you and your mother were talking about and what actually happened between them. But, no, I am not curious at all.

„ Sadly, it became your business when she decided to tell you her side of the story. Let me tell you the real version.“

„ Why would you tell it to me? I should be the last person you should be saying those things to.“ He laughed a little before leaning back on his palms.

„ Indeed. Take it as a warning, Yeon Hee. My mother took a shine to you and I would hate to see another person disappointed by her.“ Bitter as hell. That's what he sounded like. She shrugged her shoulders and looked ahead, deciding that it would be easier for him to talk about it if she doesn't look at him.

„ I suppose I can give you 5 minutes before I go for coffee.“

„ So generous of you.“ He drank another sip of his coffee causing Yeon Hee to pout on the inside. I want it.

„ So, once upon a time there was a cold souless bastard who didn't know anything about family or love, support or feelings. The only thing he knew about was business, paperwork and money. My father inherited his fortune and the company from his father and made it even bigger, crushing competition. But one day he woke up and said even if I am souless I am not immortal. I need an heir. So, he looked for a girl who would be unfortunate enough to carry his children. Enter my mother into the story, who was 20 at the time. She grew up spoiled and privileged and she wanted nothing more in life than a comfortable life with a rich and powerful man who would make her feel like the divine being she thought she was. A match made in heaven. A man who saw the world in money signs and a woman child who cared only about herself, her looks and snobby clothes. Can you imagine that combination? He wanted an heir and she wanted to continue being a princess. So those two had a son. My brother.“ Brother? He has a brother?! Another Kim in the world? He noticed her surprise and laughed.

„ She didn't tell you, did she? That's not a surprise. She rarely mentions him. She rarely took care of him. My brother was born, never having the possibility to be loved by my father, taking into consideration he was a cold cruel bastard and my mother ditched him the moment he was born, running around, continuing to play castle. He grew up, always being ignored, pushed by my father who grew continuously dissatisfied with his lack of talent. His first son was a failure. His pride was hurt and he blamed it on my mother. He tortured her day after day, mocking her, talking her down, blaming her for everything. But she was weak and still a child herself so she turned to alcohol, hoping that would help. But one day, another son was born. The mother suddenly saw light. Her life was so gloomy, so empty that she viewed the boy as her only salvation. Her angel. Oh, yes, I had the immense privilege to be smothered by my mother's love from the moment I was born. Was it love though?“ He laughed a little.

„ Love. My mother doesn't know the meaning of that. Love is not smothering the boy in attention and buying him expensive gifts. Love is not calling him her angel and hoping that a child would want her around all the time. But I did love her. That's the saddest part. I barely saw my father while growing up and I sure as hell wasn't spending time with my brother who was madly jealous of me. He hated me. He hates me. I got the attention from one of our horrible parents and he got none. And boy, did he not forget it. But my mom didn't care about him. Isn't she a wonderful mother? In the end she loved neither of us. She was obsessed with me and she ignored him. But I still loved her. She was sadly, the most decent family member I had. But then again, her obsession with me is nothing compared to her addiction to alcohol. It took her long enough. I was, what 6, when she started to drink again. And there I was, coming back from school everyday to see my mother passed out on the couch. She forgot about me half the time. She went away for little vacations all the time, getting drunk while she wasn't around my old man. And here we come to Jeju. I told you what happened. My father was furious when he found out. Not because he cared for me, no. But I was smart child, I showed talent. I was supposed to be his heir, the one to continue his legacy. And I almost died. If I did, unless he found a way to live forever he would have to leave it to my idiot of a brother. Oh, how pissed he was.“ Yeon Hee turned to him, wide open, totally engrossed in his words. He didn't look at her at all, he just stared ahead at the sea. That is horrible.

„ So my father finally came up with an idea. He would give my mother freedom, if she leaves me with him. Not a divorce, the great Kim family couldn't have that smudge on it's name but all the money and booze in the world, if my mom leaves. Without me. And she did. She sold me to him for her freedom. She left an 8 year old boy with his father, without even turning around. Without saying goodybe. And she claims she loves me? She is still a child, just like she was all her life.“ Yeon Hee felt her heart clench as she saw him talking about it, not even fazed by his own words. He was...so calm. It was like it happened to someone else.

„ So, there I was, the only person who ever showed me any kind of affection long gone. My father took it upon himself to make me a suitable heir. But let's just say, I am not easy to handle. I never was.“ Lord, tell me about it.

„ The next time I talked to my mother was when I was 12. I hung up on her. She pulled a trick on me when I was 15. I was with Luhan training when she came to see me, flying from Aruba or somewhere, completely drunk, yelling and making scenes on the field. I told her off. Called her a taxi to drive her back to her hotel and left. That was the last time I've seen her before yesterday. But she continued to call me periodically, always sobbing on the other side, always drunk. She has her informants here, keeping tabs on me so she knows what's happening. I refused to meet her until now.“

„ But you came.“ Yeon Hee spoke, her voice cracking a little from being silent for such a long time. 5 minutes have been long gone. He looked at her and nodded with pursed lips.

„ She has been calling me for days, being in Korea again. To be honest, I didn't know I was going to come. I decided yesterday morning.“

„ But why?“ Yeon Hee asked quickly before biting her lips to shut herself up. Why do you need to ask that you idiot?! He shrugged his shoulders in return.

„ I thought it was time to deal with my scars once and for all.“ He looked at her again, this time with a determined look in his eyes.

„ I've seen what they can do to people. I will not let my horrible family have any effect on me. Ever again.“ Yeon Hee let out a deep sigh, scratching her temple  before turning to look at the sea again.

„ So, what do you think about my lovely mother now? She can be quite the actress, always playing victim. Or are you one of those people who think I should forgive her?“ She shrugged her shoulders when she responded in an even voice.

„ I am

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter