Chapter 47- Villain

Pride and Prejudice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You kids up for another ride?

This one should mess you up even more.

*evil laugh*

*******************************

„ Hey....it's me.“ Yeon Hee bit her lip before continuing to speak, pulling the sleeves of her baseball jacket over her knuckles.

„ I came.... I came to.... God, this really isn't my thing, talking to you like you are still here.“ She sighed deeply while rustling her hair before taking a deep breath and finally uttering the words.

„ I need to talk to you.“ She stared at the tombstone with her mother's name engraved in it, feeling her heart clench in her chest as she did. Here lies Nam Soo Eun, the most wonderful wife and mother in the world. You are always going to be our light in the darkness. Yours forever and always, Moons. Yeon Hee took a short breath before sitting down on the ground, not caring about her dark jeans getting dirty as she passed her fingers gently over the marble stone, stopping at her mother's name for a couple of seconds. She then pinched the petals of the withering flowers her father and her brought to the grave only a couple of days ago before she put the small bouquet of orchids there, knowing they were her mother's favourites. She rearranged the flowers in silence as light wind moved the grass around her, not disturbing her thoughts. When she was finally satisfied with her work she put her hands down and stared up at the twilight at the horizon before whispering under her breath.

„ I know you are not here. I never believed in such things. But I had to come. I had to....“ She covered her eyes for a moment feeling the pain twitch in her chest again.

„ When I came here with dad all this time....I wasn't a good daughter. I felt hurt and angry and  I thought I had every reason to feel like that. You left me, didn't you? You abandoned me.....“ She shook her head before continuing to speak with her voice slightly cracking.

„ I loved you. I thought of you as my own sun which would keep me warm and safe forever. And then you left and I was so cold all of a sudden. I was vulnerable  and helpless. I hated feeling like that. I was born and taught to be strong all my life only to crumble down when you died.“ She stopped speaking for a moment as she watched the flower petals move in the light breeze.

„ I didn't know. I didn't know until now how much I resented you for making me like that. It's stupid, isn't it? I knew you loved me more than life itself and I knew you didn't want to leave me, and I still held it against you. I really am a brat. A . It's all true, what people say about me. It was always true.“ She smiled bitterly as she scoffed at herself.

„ I thought you owed me an apology for making me like this. For making me afraid of crumbling down again. But, that's not true, is it? I owe you an apology for having such a terrible selfish daughter who couldn't handle her own feelings and her own fear so she blamed you for them.“ She bowed deeply while putting her palms on the ground, closing her eyes when she whispered her next words.

„ I am sorry, eomma. I am truly sorry. You didn't deserve that from me.“ She felt the weight move from her shoulders when she sighed, touching the grass beneath her fingers.

„ Everything that happened to me last couple of months made me realize just how...messed up I really am. How much I didn't deal with my feelings properly....and now? Now I am even more messed up. I am in love. Can you believe that? Me, your spoiled bratty daughter who told you love brings cuddies when I was 6...I am in love. It's terrifying. I have never in my life been so scared eomma.“ Pathetic, I know. She adjusted herself into a more comfortable position, watching the sun losing itself among the trees in the cemetery.

„ I thought I did a good thing, breaking it all off before risking myself getting hurt again. But now....I am so confused. Dad said something to me two days ago....that I intentionally forgot that Minseok is not all that bad because it makes it easier for me to detach myself. That he may not be the person he once was, if he ever truly was that person at all. That I became prejudiced and never gave him a chance to prove himself to me. But eomma.... how can I just let the past go, everything he did to me, everything I did to him? Can I trust he won't cheat or lie, or abandon me when he finds something more amusing? Can I believe he won't leave me waiting for him for an hour and a half like a fool again?  I just... I don't know what's right and what's wrong anymore. All I know is that I am lost. And I ing hate it. So pathetic and confused and insecure....“. She inhaled the slightly cold air which tickled her nose before moving her hair from her face, feeling the cold on her face where her fingers touched it.

 „ I know it's stupid to even ask this.... but can you give some sort of a sign that tells me what I need to do?“ She knew she shouldn't hold her breath in anticipation but she still did before laughing at her own stupidity.

„ Really? Nothing at all? Like rain suddenly coming down from the sky, like a branch falling from some tree here, like some strange wise old person suddenly approaching me and telling me to follow my heart and crap like that? Seriously now, eomma. You lost your touch.“ She continued to laugh at the absurdity of her waiting for a sign from the other side about her love problems. God, I lost it. Totally. She laid down on the grass and stared at the sky which was slightly lavender on the edges, with some slight orange from the sun mixed in with it. She didn't speak at all while the light disappeared around her, for what seemed as hours, before she rubbed her eyes and stood up, wiping the dirt off her clothes and adjusting the orchides again with a slight smile on her lips.

„ I am sorry I don't visit enough eomma. No matter what happens in the future, no matter if you are aware of it or not.... I promise to do it more often. Even if I just talked to myself for like an hour I still feel better.  Because I imagined I was talking to you. I don't know if this was the sign I am finally losing my mind but well, we all knew it was going to happen sooner or later.“ She bowed slightly before speaking with a small sad smile on her lips.

„ I love you, eomma. Always and forever, no matter what, I will never let any other feelings cloud my love for you again. Thank you....for everything. You were really the greatest mother a child could ask for.“ She walked out of the cemetery with one last glance at the grave, keeping her hands in her pockets, feeling her hair being carried by the small wind. The city lights were turning on in the soft darkness as she walked down the street, not really thinking about the direction of where she was heading, only wanting to walk for a little while more to clear her head, which was a very unsuccessful plan. Her father's words kept throbbing in her head for days now, making her waver, making her feel insecure of her decisions, just like the old man had most certainly planned. He planted a bug in her head and she couldn't rationalize her actions anymore.

Only an idiot would give up on everything because there is a possibility of getting hurt while there is a certainty of being happy. She crossed the road to the other side of the street, not looking up from the ground, still holding her hands in her pockets.

Am I really an idiot? All of a sudden she heard a thump and an exasperated gasp in front of her and she looked up to see a young woman who was holding a small boy in her arms looking at the purse which fell on the ground. She was clearly trying to think of a way to manage both her son and her purse when Yeon Hee picked it up and gave it to her causing the woman to slightly bow before thanking her with a small smile and going away in the opposite direction from Yeon Hee's. Yeon Hee still looked after her when the baby boy grinned his toothless smile at her over his mother's shoulder. Yeon Hee smiled back in return when a thought suddenly hit her, making her freeze on the inside.

„ Moons only have kids with the person they decide to spend their life with, their only once. Without that person we love unconditionally, we would never even think about having them.“

„ But you did.“ She stared up at her father from the couch while they shared candy after lunch.

„ Yeah, and  I got stuck with you, superbrat.“

„ Aren't you just the luckiest father in the world then?“ She responded, stealing the candy from him with a smug smile on her face. Yeon Hee shook her head and continued to walk, feeling the cold that invaded her body get worse. It's not like she ever seriously thought about having kids some day. She enveloped the jacket tighter around herself as she walked, not really looking up to see where she was going. She planned on having a career, running the firm someday and she never actually considered that option. Not to mention she never believed she would meet someone to have them with. But, now? The bitter taste of something she would most certainly never have lingered in her head anyway. She caught her reflection on a random shop window and stared at her pale face in silence. What a life that will be, Yeon Hee-ah? Career, success, recognition- you will have it all, because you are that way. But your bed will be empty. Your heart will be empty. Can you live like that, Yeon Hee? Can you live the next 60 years of your life like that?

„ It's really nice, isn't it?“ She heard someone's voice next to her and she glanced at the man standing next to her who smiled and nodded at the shop window.

„ It seems pretty luxurious.“ She finally noticed what he was pointing at, a really nice sport car displayed inside of the car salon in front of which she was getting deep thoughts and thinking about her bleak future.

„ I can tell you one thing, I wouldn't mind getting a baby like that for my birthday. One hell of a gift that is.“ He whistled in awe before going away causing Yeon Hee  to look after him in shock, her mind suddenly going into chaos with something strangely familiar coming back to her.

 „It is time to open your birthday presents Yeon Hee. Eomma searched far and wide for hers.“

„That must be one hell of a good gift you got me then“

„Good....yes I guess you can say that. But it's also kinda bad.“

„Why would you get me a bad birthday gift?“

„ But if it wasn't bad sweetie.....how would you ever fall for it?“ The dream on her birthday. The one she forgot about until now. Yeon Hee started laughing, covering with her palm before looking up at the sky.

Her subconcscious was actually trying to convince her that he was her reward, her gift, instead of her punishment. Her not so bad, but not so good gift.Not only that, that he was sent from her mother beyond the grave. Oh, God. She continued to walk, still laughing in her hand.

„ This is your sign, eomma? Wow, seriously....“ She barely calmed herself down before walking away, shaking her head in amusement in the process. Birthday gift wise, you sure came a long way from those stupid frilly socks, I'll tell you that. She was so entranced in her thoughts that she didn't notice an older man in a suit stepping in front of her, not until she almost ran into him. She widened her eyes in surprise for a moment before trying to move but he moved as well, stopping her in her tracks.

„ Miss Moon,  I would ask you to follow me.“ She raised her eyebrow at him, lifting her chin proudly, her face not showing surprise or any emotion at all.

„ My mother warned me not to talk to strangers, ahjussi. That means, regretfully I have to decline such a kind offer.“ She started walking away before feeling him grab her arm and she turned to him, not even trying to hide the murderous look in her eyes as she painfully slowly glanced between the grip he had on her arm and his face. Oh. So that's how it's going to be.

„ Miss Moon, I really think you should follow me into the car. There is someone who wants to talk to you.“ She barely glanced at the dark limousine which was parked a couple of meters away before she returned her gaze on the man in front of her.

„ I would suggest you release me right this second, ahjussi or else I am going to make sure you are buried in that suit you are wearing.“  His look wavered in insecurity for a second before his response got interrupted by a sound of opening car doors and a dark, husky voice was heard.

„ I would suggest you do as Miss Moon says, Mister Woo, I assure you, the young lady is not above punching you.“ She glanced at Mister Woo, smirking smugly before she winked at him.

„ He is absolutely right, you know.“ Mister Woo immediately released her and bowed in apology as Yeon Hee turned to the source of the voice in front of her. The man, maybe a couple of years older than her father waved his hand at the man beside her.

„ I apologize for the way Mister Woo treated you Miss Moon. I didn't count on him being so impulsive.“ Oh, really now? She straightened up before she spoke up, and only amusement could be heard in her voice.

„ Are all of your employees this rude, Mister Kim, or was I just especially lucky today?“ He tilted his head slightly before smiling with his mouth but not with his  almond black eyes behind his glasses, eyes that were so painfully familiar to her.

„ You know who I am, Miss Moon?“ It's not really hard to guess. The man in front of her was Minseok's height, which made Minseok's bastard of older brother the tallest from the Kim men but the resemblance was frightening between them all.  All had the same dark eyes, all were handsome, even the man in front of her who was in his fifties. All had a certain air around them, the air of unrelenting arrogance. Kim senior's mere presence screamed cold. Used to getting what he wanted.

„ I always had a hunch that somehow, our paths were going to cross, Mister Kim. Guess I was right in the end.“ He nodded in agreement before approaching her, looking around him with a raised eyebrow.

„ You sure were, Miss Moon. I don't usually come to this part of city at night, but for this encounter I was willing to change my habits. Usually, I prefer taking my night walks around Yongsan-gu, near the Wonhyo bridge. The air seems fresher there somehow. The view over the river is absolutely fascinating. Have you been there recently Miss Moon?“

„ No, I haven't. But I am beyond flattered you would change you schedule for me.“ She said with only a hint of sarcasm in her voice.

„ How could I not? I've been waiting for quite some time to meet you, Miss Moon. But, where are my manners I didn't even formally introduce myself. I am Kim Min Hyuk. Pleased to meet your acquaintance, Miss Moon.“ Min Hyuk? Min Seok? Wow. More similarities.

„ Honoured, Mister Kim.“ She said while bowing, not even bothering to introduce herself fully because they both knew he knew who she was very well. 

„ What do I owe this....“ She stopped speaking, like she was searching for the right word.

„ Pleasure?“ He added, smiling slightly at her.

„ Well, we don't know that yet, do we now?“ She responded, smiling sweetly at him as he glanced over her, much more subtle than what his older son did to her when she first met him, but not that subtle she wouldn't notice. And he wanted her to notice. He must have wanted to make her feel insecure.

„ I was intrigued by you Miss Moon. I wanted to talk to you about some....issues  for some time now. If you would join me in the limousine, I assure you, you will be doing me a great favour. You will be perfectly safe, we won't go anywhere unless you want us.“ He nodded at  Mister Woo who quickly opened the door to the limousine while Yeon Hee glanced between the car and Minseok's father who wore almost a kind smile on his face, expecting her to agree. Kind is not something I would associate with you, Mister Kim. She kept her face indifferent as the memories came back, all those stories she heard about Kim Min Hyuk.

„ He killed everything that was once happy in me, with his...indifference. He just murdered me slowly on the inside, making me realize how stupid I was....“ Minseok's mother words floated in her head soon followed by her son's nonchalant tone as he talked about his father.

„So, once upon a time there was a cold souless bastard who didn't know anything about family or love, or support or feelings. The only thing he knew about was business, paperwork and money.“ Finally, Soo Ae's words came to her last, the words she spoke almost two months ago as she leaned over the table in Ji An's family restaurant  when pixie went to help her father with cleaning up after Yeon Hee told them her plan of getting Minseok arrested to get his father involved.

„ Yeon Hee, Minseok's father. He is...something else.“

„ Something like his stupid son?“ Yeon Hee scoffed, eating one of the last rice cakes on the tray.

„ I've never met him but I heard my father talk about him. He is manipulative as hell, calculating as .  So, involving him into all of this...“

„ I am not involving him anymore than it's necessary. I am making sure that leaves me alone and maybe his father can force him to do exactly that.“

„ Yeah, well....I am just saying, Yeon Hee. He is considered to be souless and dangerous. And he would stop at nothing for the reputation of the Kim family. Not to mention his business.“

„ I don't care about his family or business. I want my life back, and I will get it, one way...or another.“ Yeon Hee raised her look to him before smiling widely. So, Mister Kim, what are you up to now? What is it that your calculating mind wants from me?  She mentally cracked her knuckles and her neck, preparing for a battle, that sweet smile never leaving her face. I don't know what exactly you want from me. But I am sure as hell you will get more than you bargained for. She moved a strand from her hair from her cheek and smirked this time. Let's play, Mister Kim.

„ Unfortunately, I am not feeling like doing favours tonight, Mister Kim. But, if you want to lead, what I am sure is going to be a breathtakingly interesting conversation, we should have it somewhere more suitable. Unless, well...unless you are not that intrigued about me after all?“ She raised her eyebrow at him but he did nothing but smile in return, no hesitation what so ever in his voice when he responded. Damn. He didn't even flinch at her refusal.

„ Of course, Miss Moon, whatever you prefer.“

„ Strange, Mister Kim, you don't seem like the kind of person who agrees to someone's conditions so...easily.“ She taunted him but he just laughed slightly befor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter