Chapter 44- The best

Pride and Prejudice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I don't know what to say.

******************************

 

Minseok's POV

 

„ I win?“ He whispered, repeating her words like he didn't know what they meant. He couldn't do nothing but stare at her pale face as her words echoed inside of his head, making him slowly freeze on the inside.

„ Do you want it on paper?“  She asked with a slight trace of bitter amusement in her voice while the image of her face burned into his eyes, the stone cold expression he sometimes saw on her now more prominent but it was never like this. It was never this...haunting. She continued talking without a single muscle on her face moving.

„ Isn't that what you wanted from the start? To prove you are better than me? Well, here it is. Enjoy it. Share it with the world. You, your Majesty, have beaten the coldhearted demon.“ She bowed in acknowledgment making him slowly unfreeze from shock. no. I'll rather be dead than let this happen.

„ Beaten? I wasn't aware we were still at war.“ She scoffed in annoyance, pointing her finger at him.

„ Weren't we always in war? Didn't we compete all this time who could make the other person's life more miserable?! We did. And I have to tell you..... you were so much better at it. You didn't even have to lift a finger and you made my life a living hell. Now that's your real secret talent right there.“ She backed away slowly and turned away, leaving him to stare at her while feeling the cold spread through his body. Why is she doing this to him? To them? He would rather die a thousand times more than look at her ice cold expression, listening to her mocking tone while she describes everything that happened between them as some kind of sick game, when it was everything to him. He tried to calm himself down, passing his fingers through his hair while trying to make sense of the chaos in him, of the chaos between them, thinking of the words he could say to fix this, to make her icy attitude melt so he can wrap her in his arms and ask to love her. Ask her to give him a chance. That had to be the only reason why he was still alive. Because she was the only thing he could think of staring at that car. How mad she would be. How much he wanted to touch her face, to tell her was sorry, to tell her that he loved her. To thank her for making him feel alive again. For helping him become who he really was. He was frozen while his thoughts flooded his mind, staring at his approaching death unable to breathe before he felt someone's fingers on his jacket pulling him back making the car  barely miss him and crash into the car parked not even a few feet away from him. His heart was beating in his chest, his mind was in chaos, his lungs yearned for air when he fell on the ground, sharp pain piercing his body. His vision went dark and his ears went deaf as he laid there in the abyss of the realization he almost died. All of a sudden his hearing came back when people around him started to scream and yell and he looked up, the black spots finally disappearing from his vision before he saw a man in his thirties lean over him with a worried look on his face.

„ Young man, are you alright? Quick, call the ambulance!“ He yelled at someone behind him and Minseok blinked quickly, recognizing that this had to be the person who saved him. He tried to get up but the man pushed him gently on the ground, shaking his head in refusal.

„ No. You need to stay down and not move until the ambulance comes in case you hurt your head or something.“ Minseok finally became fully aware of the amount of people around him when the screams became more coherent.

„ Get him out! Now!“

„ He's stuck!“

„ He looks like he is in pretty bad shape.“

„ Did someone call the damn ambulance?!“ The man shook his head and smiled reassuringly at him.

„ Someone up there sure as hell loves you kid. If I hadn't been right behind you....“ He shook his head like he was shaking out the dark thoughts. Minseok tried to speak but a young woman, obviously familiar with the man, kneeled next to him with a gentle smile.

„ It's OK, don't strain yourself. Don't waste any strength until the ambulance comes.“ Minseok closed his eyes, allowing his lungs to finally breathe in as much air as possible while the adrenaline burned through his veins. He soon became aware of the sirens of the ambulance as it came closer, followed by what seemed as police. He glanced at the woman's watch on her wrist and saw it was 8 o'clock, the realization causing his heart to stop beating for a second. After that it took him almost 50 minutes for the medical assistants to check him out completely, measuring everything on him and then saying he managed to walk away with only a slight bruising on his back and scratches on his elbows with no sign of concussion. At that point Minseok demanded to leave because God, he was late and she must have been pissed. But then the police came and questioned him about everything while the driver, who was obviously very drunk, suffered greater injuries and was currently being driven to the hospital which Minseok adamantly and fiercely refused. He didn't have time for that, a couple of blocks from there the girl he loved was thinking he stood her up and he kept glancing at the police officer's watch which was stubbornly ticking away, making his insides turn. But the officer kept saying that either they do it there or in the police station and getting arrested  for trying to leave wasn't in his plans that day. Any other day, fine. But not that day. It took him so much time trying to explain to the officer that no he didn't see the driver beforehand,  no he wasn't interested in pressing charges, no he didn't want to call his family and yes he wanted to go the away. Only after he heard a familiar voice he managed to look behind the police officer who was questioning him and see a familiar face.

„ Kid?“

„ Officer Lee? Thank God.“ The senior police officer approached them and glanced at him.

„ Are you hurt?“

„ No, I am fine but I need to go.“ Officer Lee rolled his eyes and crossed his arms.

„ Kid, you survived a car accident tonight. You can take a breather. Everything can wait. Did they call your family?“ Minseok shook his head and gripped his hand.

„ No, I don't need them. I need to go, officer Lee. I am late.“

„ Nothing is that important. I'll drive you home soon.“

„ Sir, she is waiting for me. I was going to tell her I loved her tonight. I can't miss this chance.“ Officer Lee widened his mouth in surprise.

„ The girl who got you arrested? The one who helped Bong Gu? Kid, seriously, I thought you already handled that. But is now really the best time?“ Minseok nodded fiercely, not letting his hand from his grip

„ I screwed up recently and she gave me a chance to make it better. And now I am stuck here. I told you how she is, Sir. I am screwed if I don't get my there right this second.“ Officer Lee nodded and glanced at the police officer next to him.

„ He is going to come to the station tomorrow to answer the rest of  your questions, officer. Right now, he has something much more urgent to do.“ He looked at him and smiled.

„ Kid, what are you waiting for? You better go there. A girl like that is not going to wait forever.“ Minseok nodded and jumped up, hugging him for a second obviously surprising officer Lee and the officer next to him before he started running.

„ Yah, I want to meet her! Bring her to the station so we can all finally get to know her, OK?“ Minseok waved without turning around as he ran through the crowd. And now he was here, staring at her face and he felt his heart ache in his chest because she wanted him out of her life. She was hurt. She was angry. But there was something more, he could see it, but he couldn't recognize it. Like something in her shifted and he couldn't pinpoint what it was exactly but it made her different nonetheless. He suddenly became aware of the stares people around them were giving them and a guitar player who was not that far away stopped playing, staring at them with obvious curiosity. Minseok gritted his teeth, wanting to grab her by the shoulders and shake her to see her become human again, not this...icy creature who cut his heart with every word she said.

„ I don't give a about winning. I am not going to leave you alone, not like this. After everything we went through, you expect me to back away without a fight? We are not done yet, not until you listen to me!“

„ The contract....“

„ Screw the ing contract!  How can you do this to us?! You are willing to throw it all away because of this?! I didn't mean to be late, for 's sake!“ She looked up at him, her mask cracking a little and he saw anger flare up in her eyes. Good. Better than nothing. Yell, scream at me, but don't be indifferent.

„ You didn't mean to?! Did you ever mean to return my calls? I called you, God, I don't even know how many times. I was worried about you, you stupid arrogant son of a ! And then you finally come here with the audacity to ask me why I didn't stop? How dare you?!“  She yelled at him causing silence to fall around them. Oh, God...his cellphone. Jesus Christ...

„ I lost it...“ He mumbled, knowing it was a flimsy excuse. She clenched her fists for a moment before relaxing them.

„ I don't want to hear any of your excuses anymore. I am....so ing tired of having to fight with you every day. I am so tired of the chaos you brought into my life. I am tired of letting you hurt me when I never gave you the right to do it. I just can't take this anymore.“ She looked up at him and he saw her eyes shine from something that looked suspiciously like tears and the thought of her crying because of him hit him so hard. No. Not because of me.

„ I am sorry. I am so sorry for everything but if you just give me a chance, I can fix this. I am sure I can.“ She shook her head and backed away from him.

„ There is nothing to fix. You can't fix something that was never working properly from the beginning.“ She looked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter