Chapter 33- Caught off guard

Pride and Prejudice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

„ Hopefully these brave children will one day be able to enjoy an adventure of their own in the amusement park, all because of the kindness of your heart. I can only hope you get to experience the happiness you gave them every day of your lives. You opened your hearts to them and put a smile on their face and that...that is priceless. From the bottom of my heart and theirs, thank you for your support in making this event happen. That is all I can really say in the end. The only words that really matter. Thank you. “ Hae Sook looked at the crowd and bowed deeply finishing her at times quite emotional but mostly lighthearted speech with barely a slight blush on her cheeks, not stuttering even once and practically beaming with pride and happiness on the stage. Everyone started clapping and cheering loudly, some women wiped the tears from their eyes while Yeon Hee barely suppressed the urge to start a celebratory dance. She whistled loudly and clapped so hard she thought her hands would fall off, almost jumping up and down on the spot.She ing nailed it! She made people cry and laugh, she didn't stutter and she held her ground! Oh God, the girl is amazing. Ji An took out a tissue and wiped the tears from her eyes while Soo Ae was cheering Hae Sook's name. Hae Sook caught Yeon Hee's look and bowed again in her direction, more deeply than before and when she raised her head Yeon Hee saw her mouthing thank you sunbaenim at her. Yeon Hee smiled widely and bowed in return, making Hae Sook blush even more as she was going down the stage. Yixing clapped, barely keeping himself in one place as he tried to see her, being a cute lost unicorn in the process, right until Yeon Hee slapped his shoulder lightly, making him turn to her in confusion.

„ Go to her, Yixing. Congratulate her.“

„ Oh, right.“ He nodded and almost ran to her, being pulled by Ji An at the last moment.

„ Yixing, you forgot the flowers!“ He blushed and apologized, God knows why, taking the flowers and running to Hae Sook who was talking with the manager beneath the stage. As soon as she saw him she jumped up to hug him, overhelmed by excitement and happiness, obviously surprising him for a second but then he proceeded to hug her back- almost lifting her off the ground in the process, both now being totally red...and both now being totally adorable. So ing sweet, Yeon Hee was going to get a cavity.

„ Those two are without a doubt the cutest, most adorable creatures on Earth.“ Soo Ae said, smiling knowingly and pushing through the crowd, followed by Yeon Hee and Ji An who was still wiping tears from her eyes.

„ Omo, Soo Ae, cute? You hate using that word.“ Yeon Hee raised her eyebrow at her, laughing as they got out of the crowd, stopping in the middle of the path for a moment. Soo Ae rolled her eyes at Yeon Hee's teasing and shrugged her shoulders.

„ They deserve to be called that.“ Ji An finally calmed herself down enough to sigh, looking back.

„ Too precious for words. They are too precious for words...“ Soo Ae turned to Yeon Hee with a light smile on her lips.

„ So, she did it sunbaenim.You made it happen.“ Yeon Hee smiled, shaking her head before looking back at Hae Sook, pride obvious on her face.

„ I had nothing much to do with it. The girl had it in the bag, she just needed a push.“ Ji An suddenly wrapped her arms around her, burying her face into the crook of her neck.

„ You are a great sunbaenim, Yeon Hee. No wonder she adores you.“ Well, the feeling is mutual. I adore her too. The only reason why I am not there bear hugging her is because Yixing is doing it for me.  Yeon Hee smirked a little, trying to hide the overwhelming happiness she felt with her usual sass.

„ Of course she adores me, who wouldn't?“ She laughed as Soo Ae tugged on her hair while Ji An just scoffed in her neck, dissatisfied with how arrogant she was being.

„ Impossible. You are impossible.“ She said, releasing her while Yeon Hee shrugged her shoulders in silent agreement before looking back at Soo Ae.

„ Are you leaving?“ Soo Ae nodded, taking out her smartphone and passing her finger on the screen, checking her schedule.

„ Yeah, I have to make a couple of interviews and follow up on the progress. I should start taking a couple of photos as well. Ji An, you brought your camera, didn't you?“ Ji An lightly tapped her camera which hung around her neck and confidently nodded.

„ Yeah, no worries. I'll try to take a couple of artistic pictures for the paper and the school website.“ Soo Ae smiled a little and fixed her black cute hat on her copper hair, putting her phone away and readjusting her clothes, no traces of that slightly insecure girl from Friday in her. She was all business now. Or she tried to be.

„ I want to have at least half an hour with you both before we go home so I'll try to finish everything on time." She made a short pause before gripping Yeon Hee's shoulder, looking gently at her.

"Yeon Hee-ah.....don't worry about it, OK?“ Well, I wasn't worried about it until you just now mentioned it, Soo Ae! Soo Ae started walking backwards before she  winked at them, her voice seeming playful on the surface but both of her friends could hear the hint of bitterness in it.

„ And do tell me if you find some cute boys. It seems I am back in the game.“ Ah, Soo Ae... you are so much in denial. Yeon Hee rolled her eyes, not trying to be subtle about it at all when suddenly ChenChen the troll found himself behind Soo Ae, tapping her shoulder. She frowned in confusion and turned around only to be grabbed by her shoulders. Next thing Yeon Hee saw, Chen was leaning in and kissing Soo Ae, completely throwing her off balance, leaving Yeon Hee and Ji An open mouthed in disbelief as people started cheering and clapping around them. Oh, my GOD....! Look who's playing games now! Soo Ae's eyes were comically open, her stylish hat fell from her wavy hair as Chen kissed her deeply and this time nobody could have said there was no real action. Yeon Hee started laughing while holding her stomach when Soo Ae's eyes slowly closed as she finally accepted and deepened the kiss, putting her arms around his neck.

„ Omo!“ Ji An couldn't stay still as she jumped up and down, making Yeon Hee shake her head staring at the love scene in front of her. Oh God, the humanity. This...wow. Not what I expected to see today. Chen pulled Soo Ae up and broke the kiss, backing away and winking at the clearly shocked Soo Ae whose lips were now red and swollen because of ChenChen's skills. Chen snickered a little seeing her like that. Look who's playing push and pull now...

„ Jagiya, I'll play each and every game your twisted flirty mind can think of...as long as I win you over in the end.“ Ugh, so god damn cringeworthy....

„ Omo! So romantic!“ Ji An said, squealing next to Yeon Hee who made a pained expression as she shook her head, her lips pressed in distaste.

„ Ugh. Who says like that?“ Ji An slapped her shoulder and Yeon Hee rubbed it with a frown on her face. 

„ What?! I mean, really....“  Chen raised his hand and touched Soo Ae's flushed cheek still with that obnoxious smirk on his face.

„ Now, about that date you refused... I'll be expecting you at the river ride in 2 hours, jagi. I am looking forward to it.“ He turned around, walking away nonchalantly when Soo Ae finally caught ground, puffing her chest behind him, practically yelling at him.

„ I am not going to come Kim Jongdae, get that through that thick trolling head of yours. So you can just enjoy your alone time thinking of ways to improve your kissing skills!“ She crossed her arms in annoyance while her cheeks were getting even more red from the anger. Oh God, Soo Ae.....you are so done. We told you he wouldn't back off. He turned to her with a wide kitten like smile on his lips.

„ Now, the mere fact that you felt like you needed to tell me that means you are going to come jagiya. Otherwise...you would just let me hanging, wouldn't you?  I don't want to toot my own horn, jagiya...but as half of the amusement park just saw, my kissing skills are quite good.“  Nice. ing nice. Brave. Stupid. But damn it if it isn't the funniest thing she saw in ages, two trolls trying to troll each other. Soo Ae opened in disbelief before pointing a finger at him.

„ You think you know what I am going to do, Kim Jongdae? Get your head out of your arrogant . You don't know me. At all.“ He smiled again, this time in a  less mocking manner, looking at her gently.

„ But I do know you, Kang Soo Ae. I know that you are cool, sassy, funny and incredibly complicated. ing gorgeous as well. I like everything that I know about you. And everything I don't know...well I'll be here for a long time, trying to figure you out completely. Two hours, jagi. See you there.“ Soo Ae was left speechless at his last words staring at his back as he walked away while Ji An was almost brought to tears again, clapping excitedly.

„ That was so beautiful!“

„ Oh, God I need to find a place to throw up......“ Yeon Hee whispered, looking at Soo Ae whose eyes grew darker when she turned to them, fuming with frustration. This....this is priceless. Cool Soo Ae lost her cool. What a joyous day!

„ Can you believe that? He actually believes I, Kang Soo Ae, will just come to him like that? AS IF.“ Ji An pouted a little before pointing at her.

„ But you will, right? That was so romantic!“ Yeon Hee started to laugh again, remembering the entire scene.

„ Romantic? Oh, please. Embarrassing and cringeworthy, making me pee my pants from laughing...on second thought....yeah, I suppose it was romantic.“ Soo Ae approached them, ignoring the people who stared at her as she picked up her hat and pushed it on her head with so much force Yeon Hee thought it would end up around her neck.

„ He genuinely believes he knows me....that one kiss is going to make my knees weak. Idiot.“

„ So you are going, right?“ Ji An asked, dancing at the spot.

„ Of course she is going. He knows it, she knows it, I know it.....“ Yeon Hee said, waving her hand. Obviously.

„ No, I am not. I hope he drowns in that river. Alone. He just thinks he can....URGH. I am pissed. No, I don't care. At all.“ She breathed deep and regained her rich, cool heiress posture back.

„ Now if you will excuse me, I have work to do.“ She flipped her hair behind her shoulder and walked away, not sparing them a second glance, still flushed and mumbling curses in her chin.

 „ She is so going to go.“ Yeon Hee said as Ji An smiled, looking at the distance.

„ So beautiful! First Hae Sook, now Soo Ae...God. This day is awesome.“

„ Now we only need to find Luhan for you and it will be complete.“ Yeon Hee said, wiggling her eyebrows at her. But Ji An just sighed and moved away, dragging her forward.

„ Yeah, right. Didn't you say you wanted to go to the haunted house?“ Didn't want to talk about it. I see. Jeez, Lu-lu, what's taking you so long...In the end, the haunted house turned out not to really be haunted (surprise!) but it made Ji An terrified none the less. When they finally got out, 20 minutes later, Yeon Hee was still rubbing her arm where Ji An ripped her skin off with her fingernails.

„ Never, never again.“ She barely heard Ji An speak through the ringing in her ears caused by her constant shrieking in the haunted house.

„ You got that right..... But Ji An, seriously, was that last scream really necessary? You made my ears bleed.“

„ I thought it was a skeleton!“Jesus.

„ It was a ing coat hanger, we were already out of the haunted part!“ Ji An scrunched up her nose and hissed at her.

„ Your laughing didn't help! Doesn't matter now. I am never going in there again.“ Yeon Hee finally got her hearing back and frowned at her, raising her eyebrow at her best friend's dramatic ways.

„  None of things in that house is as scary as the face I see in the morning in the mirror when I wake up. Now, that is really ing terrifying.“ Ji An just shrugged her shoulders and walked away with Yeon Hee following after her.

„ It's my turn to choose now.“ She heard Ji An say, her nose still high up in the skies from her hurt pride and Yeon Hee sighed and rolled her eyes in return. A little haunted house and this happens...it would be less drama if I had taken Tao with me. On the other hand.....seeing that the boy breached the sound wall when he saw a ladybug on his backpack...probably not.

„ That. I want to go there.“ Yeon Hee turned to the direction where Ji An was pointing, a bungalow which she vaguely recognized  to have passed with the jackass that day when she came there to crush the manager's personal assets. The third eye.There was a line in front of the very dramatic looking bungalow, with tarot cards and crystal balls painted on it. Oh, my God. Seriously? There was a rush of relief going through her body because Ji An didn't immediately go to the thing that made Yeon Hee's stomach turn the whole night before, but it was soon replaced by disbelief when she realized where she was supposed to go next.

„ Seriously Ji An? Fortune telling? If you wanted to waste money on stupid , you could have just bought me those gummy bears I asked you for half an hour ago.“ Ji An narrowed her eyes at her and started walking towards the bungalow.

„ It's going to be fun, having our future read to us. Aren't you interested?“ Yeon Hee crossed her arms, standing in the spot, refusing to move.

„ You want to know how you can get your future read to you? Go to the doctors and get a check up, that's how. You don't actually believe someone who says abrakadabra, makes weird hand gestures and wears way too much make up can read your ing future, do you now? In an amusement park nonetheless? Jesus. This is the stupidest idea since Tao suggested matching our wallpapers. And that means something taking into consideration he wanted to put his picture on both of our cellphones.“ Ji An stopped walking to glare at her, a frown appearing on her face.

„ You chose to go to the haunted house. I am choosing to go to the fortune teller.“

„  Why would you waste your time on that for s sake? She is going to tell you just what you want to hear!“ She rolled her eyes in return like Yeon Hee was acting stupid.

„ I don't actually think she is going to tell me my future but I do think it's going to be fun either way. Come on, Yeon Hee, please?“  Yeon Hee scoffed and finally joined her, taking her place at the end of the line before crossing her arms in impatience.

„ Fine. I am coming with you. But I am not doing it.“ Ji An looked at her sternly, obviously dissatisfied.

„ How can you be so prejudiced?“

„ I am not prejudiced. I am a skeptic.“ Yeon Hee responded, standing on the tip of her toes to see the beginning of the very long line. This will take too much of my time. Unless, well. ...hm....I do something about it.

„  Ji An-ah, did you hear about this big treasure hunt they have on the east side of the park?“ She whsipered quite loudly, sensing a couple of glances on her when she did. Ji An frowned in confusion, widening her eyes at her.

„ Where?“ God....

„ I just said, on the east side. It's supposed to be really cool, like with  big fancy prizes, smartphones, laptops, I even heard the ultimate prize is like a fancy trip to Europe. God, can you believe how rich the brats from this school are if they offer that as an award? I'm so jealous.“ She said, playing a dissatisfied teenager perfectly, shaking her head. Ji An looked at her again before finally realizing what she was doing. Finally, jeeez...

„ So how come it isn't on the program?“ She asked  loudly, trying really hard not to look at people around her who were now much more focused on them than they were a couple of minutes ago. Stay away from acting, pixie. Please. Yeon Hee barely supressed a smirk when she leaned in closer to her, acting like she was giving away a government secret.

„ I heard this girl screaming at someone in the bathroom because it seems they didn't hide it very well. The prizes are way too obvious, anybody could find it. So the rich brats have been running all around the park, trying to find the stuff before other people because if you do find it, you get it and they can't take it back."

„ So, why are we not there finding it, Yeon Hee-ah?“ She asked, overacting again making Yeon Hee inwardly roll her eyes.

„ Seems like too much of a hastle. Who knows if they found that stuff already.“

„ But it's worth a try, isn't it? I mean, a trip?! Who would miss out on that? And it's really that badly hidden?“

„ That's what I heard. If people found out about, they would be all over there.“ Yeon Hee said, shrugging shoulders and turning to the front where a dozen people stared at them and ten looked away, acting like they didn't hear their conversation. Yeon Hee barely contained a smirk glancing at her cellphone. Let's see how long it takes them to take the bait. As it turned out, it took the first guy four minutes to walk away slowly, going east and he was soon followed by a couple and in 10 minutes time Yeon Hee and Ji An were alone in front of the door of the bungalow . Sometimes people just make it way too easy for me....

„ Really, Yeon Hee? Treasure hunting?“ Ji An said sternly, tapping her foot  on the floor making her heel click loudly when she did. Yeon Hee smirked in return and crossed her arms over her coat, looking satisfied with herself.

„ Oh and you would have waited for an hour to get in? Please. Like I would waste that much time on something so stupid.“  A customer left the bungalow with a slightly dazed look on his face. Ji An went in, glancing at Yeon Hee who followed her inside with a frown.

„ You are so evil, Yeon Hee.“

„ Why does that even surprise you, pixie?“ Yeon Hee said, winking at her in the hallway. A rather small woman with a lot of eyeliner in extravagant clothing bowed at them after Ji An paid for her ticket.

„ Feel free to come in, customers. Madam will see you now.“ Madam? Really....God. I feel so stupid even agreeing to do this. Ji An bowed in return and opened the door with Yeon Hee rolling her eyes and going after her, stepping into a dark room with massive wooden furniture, with two chairs placed by the wall and one by the round table. Very dramatic looking, I must say. Very....red velvet everywhere. She suddenly heard a deep voice behind them causing Ji An to jump up and making Yeon Hee's heart stop for a second in surprise but she wouldn't show it for the life of her.

„ Welcome to the Third eye, girls. What does your heart yearn to know?“ A middle aged woman with red lipstick on her full lips and cat like eyes smiled at them, circling around the table to sit down on the bigger chair which was looking like a wodden throne. Well, my heart yearns to know who's the interior decorator of this place but I don't think the third eye offers that answer.Yeon Hee thought, slightly bowing at the fortune teller while Ji An bowed more deeply, obviously startled by her dramatic presence.

„ I...I want to know my future.“ The woman looked behind her, meeting Yeon Hee's eyes when a small smile formed on her lips.

„ And your friend?“ Yeon Hee smiled widely in return, shaking her head.

„ I am just here sightsee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter