Chapter 35- Being a Moon

Pride and Prejudice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It's time for you to understand why Yeon Hee says she is a Moon so often and with such pride. 

********************************

„ Moon Yeon Hee, what is this?“ Yeon Hee raised her look from the chess board in front of her to ahjumma who was holding something very familiar in her hands, and her expression showed she wasn't amused by the object she was holding. Oh, would you look at that. I forgot to take the water gun out of the backpack. Nice. Real. ing. Nice. She pouted her lips, acting completely unfazed by the situation.

„ I believe that's a water gun ahjumma.“

„ I know what it is, Yeon Hee, what I am asking you is.... why was it in your backpack?“ Well, jackass and I might have started an attack on ChenChen today and we might have made his Monday a living hell....aaand he might have ended up soaking wet and everybody laughed at him, aaand he had to wear his jersey and shorts the whole day because we stole the spare uniform  in his locker after the second period....and he might have caught a cold because he was sneezing when he left school...but it's not like the troll didn't have it coming.But, somehow I don't think ahjumma wouldn't be that understanding of the circumstances, so let's go for surprise and innocence, combined with bullting. That should do the trick.

„ Omo, how did such a childish contraption end up in my backpack?“ She said, widening in acted out shock. Ahjumma narrowed her eyes at her.

„ I expected an answer, not a question. “ Yeon Hee sighed, rubbing her chin like she was in deep thought.

„ But ahjumma, if you think about it.... isn't every answer actually just a new question?“

„ Mister Moon...“  Ahjumma called on Moon Ji Woon impatiently and Yeon Hee's father looked up from the chess board, glancing between ahjumma and his daughter before sighing loudly, not wanting to get involved,

„ Yeon Hee does have a point Mrs. Song. You can never get all the answers you want, simply because there is always a new question hidden in every answer.“

„ Thank you, father. I am glad someone is thinking on the same level as me. Questions like....how did a children's toy end up in my backpack are nothing like the question whether there is an end to human curiosity. Now, those questions are the ones that really need to be answered.“ Yeon Hee said, moving her pawn forward. Ahjumma scoffed and rolled her eyes at her bullting skills, dropping the subject.

„ I have no time to deal with this philosphical nonsense you are trying to spin here.That's not even the real problem here. Don't you have a history test tommorow Yeon Hee? Why are you playing chess and not studying?!“ Yah, I object to that!

„ Yah, how can you say that?! I am studying!“ Yeon Hee said, pointing to the open book next to her on the floor.

„ Having an open book next to you while you are playing chess with your father doesn't mean that you are studying!“ Yeon Hee puffed her cheeks in annoyance and shook her head like she was offended.

„ I glance at it once in a while, so it counts.“

„ I don't think I saw you pick up a book in the last two months. At all.“ Two months? Ahjumma, I haven't studied for real in like.....years.

„ And yet my grades haven't dropped. Do you know why?“ Yeon Hee smirked and winked at her father who winked back.

„ Because she is a Moon.“ He said, moving his rook to eat her pawn. Damn. Well, you lose one to win them all.

„ You can't just use that as an excuse for everything.“ Ahjumma scoffed leaning on the sofa, holding her head in her hands.

„ Of course I can. That is also a perk when you are a Moon.“ She high fived her father, listening to ahjumma mumbling something that seemed like curses in her chin.

„ Why are you even playing this time?“ Ahjumma finally asked, rolling her eyes in the process, clearly giving up on life. Well, last time it was about a movie to watch. Before that it was about who will pick up the dry cleaners. Damn. She still couldn't believe she lost that one. But this time is the real deal. A very important choice.

„ Dad wants to order Thai, I want to order Chinese.“ Yeon Hee answered, moving her black knight to attack a pawn and threatening her father's white rook and queen. Let's see you get out of this one.

„ I could have just as easily cooked you something.“

„ Ahjumma, you said you needed to go to your sister's birthday an hour ago. As a matter of fact, why didn't you already leave?“ Yeon Hee said, furrowing her eyebrows at her. Ahjumma dropped the water gun on the sofa before straightening her back, moving a strand of her hair from her face, looking fed up with everything.

„ Well I would have left already if I didn't have to clean up after two Moons.“

„ Or....you can just admit you don't want to leave us because you would miss our dazzling personalities. We understand, ahjumma. You don't have to be ashamed of it.“ The death look Yeon Hee got from ahjumma made her chuckle behind her palm when ahjumma walked in her room again, continuing to pick out things to wash. Yeon Hee looked back at her father who had a pensive look on his face, trying to think of his next move. As Yeon Hee got older, the time that took her father to figure out his next move grew longer. Any wrong move and she would have his head on a pike. Long lost were the days when she had only learned how to play the game as a four year old brat. She still remembers the first time she won, getting to keep an annoying squeaky toy her father was allergic to. He thought he was so clever, suggesting a chess game so they can decide whether the toy stays or goes, completely sure she couldn't beat him. Well, wasn't it a surprise when she did beat him and then used that same squeaky toy to turn his life into a living hell for the next month. He couldn't even sleep normally without her using it next to his face. Ah, the memories. She really was a fast learner.....and an awful child.

„ Ahjussi, nobody is getting younger here, especially not you.“ She said, glancing at her book.

„ I am not the one turning 19 in two days time.“ He said, unfazed by her words.

„ That I can vouch for.“ She said smirking smugly at him before raising her eyebrow, looking at him with curiosity on her face.

„ So what did you get me for my birthday?“ He scoffed, finally moving his queen to safety, leaving her his rook for the taking.

„ A father that can handle you. I think that's enough.“ As if.

„ Did you save the receipt? I think I would trade that for something more useful.“

„ Yah, you rude brat!“ He picked up the sofa cushion and hit her over the head lightly, causing Yeon Hee to whine in return.

„ Violence! Ahjussi, you need to be disqualified!“

„ Do you have any evidence that violence was commited, Miss Moon? A witness perhaps?“ He said, leaning back on his hands with a smug look on his face.

„ The traces of the violent act will be obvious soon enough. Plus, I am sure ahjumma will be testifying in my favor, telling the court everything about your habit to grow violent when you're losing in chess.“

„ I wouldn't bet on it.“ She heard ahjumma's stern voice from her room, causing Yeon Hee to roll her eyes in the direction of her voice.

„ Losing? Who says I am losing?“ Her father asked, raising his glasses higher on his nose.

„ Come on, ahjussi. We both know we are eating baozi tonight.“

„ I didn't think they offered that in a Thai restaurant.“

„ Keep clinging to that dream ahjussi. Old people need to dream.“ She flipped her hair in arrogance, causing her father to curse silently at her spoiled bratty nature.

„ Old people. Ha! You wish you looked as good as me when you are my age.“ Yeon Hee turned to her room and yelled.

„ Ahjumma, please don't forget to wipe the mirror in dad's bathroom, I think he doesn't see himself clearly enough.“

„ There goes your birthday present, superbrat. It will be dearly missed.“ Hey, you can't do that!

„ Yah, dad, that's unfair!“

„ An experienced person like me knows that life is unfair, brat. You should learn from my ancient wisdom.“

„ Ancient is the word I would use to describe you, ahjussi.“ She smugly smiled at him while he rolled his eyes in return. She liked to about that even though her father, who was in his late forties, actually looked awesome for his age, full set of hair on his head with some grey in the deep brown, slim and tall, with bright devilish eyes behind his glasses and a smile that reeked of trouble when he was up to something. Which was always. She leaned over the chess board and bit the insides of , looking at the situation on the board. She had less chess pieces on the board, but everything that mattered was still there while her father lost both of his bishops and a knight. She was entranced in her thougths, mapping out her next moves, thinking of the countermoves he would use as well when her father decided to mess with her.

„ So..... how's Minseok?“ What?! She glanced up, losing her train of thought.

„ How should I know?“ Her father shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly, cleaning his glasses with his shirt before responding, a hint of mischief obvious in his voice when he did.

„ It seems you two have been spending more time together lately. So I thought you might know.“ God, no.

„ Why is that important?“ She asked, looking down at the board again. I see old man. Trying to distract me again. Her father had a habit of starting the most idiotic topics when she was about to make her move, just to get her to lose her focus. Her father spoke again while putting his glasses on his nose.

„ I kinda like him.“

„ That's because you don't know him.“ She said, still biting .

„ Oh.....that means you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter