Chapter 45- Revelations

Pride and Prejudice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's pretty obvious who my second bias is.

********************************

7 days later

 

 Yeon Hee's POV

 

 " So, let me get this straight. Okimura and I told you to improve your relationship by working together.“

„ Yes, sunbae.“ Yeon Hee continued to speak in an even tone of voice, not looking away from the people in front of her.

„ We told you to preferably agree on doing something nice for someone else.“

„ Yeah, you did.“ Hyo Jin agreed while nodding.

„ So, what is this then?“ Yeon Hee asked, pointing at the box of chocolates Do Hyun was holding in his hands.

„ We decided we would do something nice for you, sunbae. To show you we support you during this....hardship.“ Yeon Hee tilted her head to the side and raised her eyebrow at Do Hyun who gulped, slight panic showing up on his face when he saw her expression.

„ Hardship?“ Yeon Hee repeated in a low voice, her gaze fixed on their faces. Hyo Jin rolled her eyes at Do Hyun's hesitant expression before explaining.

„ Your break up, sunbae.“ My what now?

„ With Minseok sunbae.“ Do Hyun continued, glancing sideways at Hyo Jin. Yeon Hee widened her eyes, feeling the familiar tightening in her chest at the mere mention of his name, soon followed by a feeling of a sharp hot knife cutting into her heart mercilessly. She barely controlled her breathing before speaking in a low voice, her face being completely expressionless. Only she knew how much it hurt to put on that mask.

„ We never dated so we never broke up.“ Yeon Hee responded, feeling like the mere fact she had to say it out loud twisted her insides into a knot. Do Hyun sighed before speaking again, biting his lip as he did.

„ I understand that you want to forget that it ever happened, sunbae. I know, from my personal experience, how hard it is to acknowledge how you're really feeling after a break up.“ Yeon Hee felt like crying and laughing at the same time because her younger teammates thought she was in pain and they wanted to make her feel better, and yet they reminded her of just how horrible she felt. Before she could answer and she didn't even know what she would say to that, Hyo Jin turned to Do Hyun, her glare shining with something Yeon Hee never saw on her face before.

„ What personal experience? We all know nobody would ever date you.“ He rolled his eyes, not even fazed by the tone of her voice. After a year of Hyo Jin's attitude towards him, he was more than used to it.

 „ I don't care what you think.“ He said before turning to Yeon Hee who crossed her arms having a hunch of what was about to happen. After all, wasn't their behaviour to each other something so familiar to her now? Hyo Jin didn't look away from Do Hyun and Yeon Hee could see that something dark passed her face when she narrowed her eyes at him.

„ Are you telling me there really is a woman who was stupid enough to date you? Was it that Na Rae girl? I've seen the way she looks at you. Was it her?“ Yeon Hee  leaned on her locker with a raised eyebrow, looking at Do Hyun frowning in confusion.

„ I don't see how that's any of your business.“ Hyo Jin shook her head in disbelief at him before she pushed him slightly, something she had never done before because she mostly used verbal insults and other ways to torture him.

„ That's because you are stupid!“ Oh, here it is. She pushed her hair from her face when Do Hyun finally caught balance and stared directly at her with an expression of anger and shock on his face.

„ What the is wrong with you?!“

„ You are what's ing wrong with me, stupid!“ Yeon Hee pressed her thumb on her lips, raising her eyebrows at the situation in front of her. So familiar indeed. Real subtle, universe.

„ I swear to God, Hyo Jin, you are going to cost me my life one day if I don't kill you first! We came here to show Yeon Hee sunbae we could work together and you act even more bipolar than usual! I don't even ing know why my dating past is so important to yo....“ His voice suddenly got lost when he snapped his fingers, staring at her with narrowed eyes.

„ Oh my God! You like me!“ Hyo Jin widened in shock and backed away, small blush appearing on her cheeks.

„ M-me?! no!“

„ That's why you've been like this to me? Because you like me?! Why couldn't you just say it?!“

„ I don't like you. Just...shut up, OK?“ Hyo Jin answered, turning her back to him. Do Hyun pushed the box of chocolates into Yeon Hee's hands before grabbing Hyo Jin by her shoulders.

„ If you would just tell me earlier, stupid,  I could have told you I liked you too! But noooo, you have to go and make my life a nightmare, like a spoiled horrible brat. No wonder I dreamt about pushing you down the stairs all the time.“

„ You've dreamt about pushing me down the stairs?“ Hyo Jin asked turning to him with wide eyes,

„ Damn sure I did!  I dreamt about pushing you under the bus, off the roof, in the pool....everywhere. But I could never do it, because I am in love with you!“

„ What about the girls you've dated then?“ Do Hyun rolled his eyes before sighing in an exasperated manner.

„ I dated one girl for two days. In middle school! I was just trying to make sunbae feel better!“ I appreciate it... Yeon Hee almost laughed at the situation in front of her, watching her two teammates stare at each other intensely.

„ So, what now? You're going to date me or what?“ Do Hyun asked and Hyo Jin scoffed, raising her chin in arrogance.

„ I would rather date Satan than date you.“

„ I think Yeon Hee sunbae is too busy to date you at the moment, so you'll have to settle for me.“ He glanced at Yeon Hee with an apologetic look on his face.

„ I am sorry, sunbae.“

„ No problem.“ Yeon Hee said, raising her thumbs up at them in approval. Hyo Jin flipped her hair before walking away from him.

„  I would only date you in your dreams, stupid.“

„ 7 o'clock tonight, stupid. We are going to go on that date.“ Do Hyun responded snarkily, obviously not giving a about Hyo Jin's fake refusal..

„ Not in a million years.“ She answered, still not turning back to look at him.

„ Well then, it seems like I would just have to go and ask Na Rae then.“ She immediately turned around, pointing her finger at him with furrowed eyebrows.

„ Hell ing no! Make it 7:30, moron.“ She then proceeded to rush away, her face being completely red. Do Hyun smiled happily before turning around to face Yeon Hee's stern look.

 „You two sort this out. The team depends on you two, you can either make it or break it with your attitude. I don't want any more drama. Got it?“

 „ I'll try but you know how stubborn she is.“ Really? That's a shock right there.

„ I wasn't aware.“ She responded sarcastically, rolling her eyes when her young teammate went running after his death, or his future girlfriend as it turned out in the end. She smiled a little before turning to her locker, putting the box of chocolates in it. She gripped the sides of the locker as the fleeting moment of relief  brought to her by her teammates passed, quickly being replaced by the same chaos that was her only real companion the last week. She closed her eyes in the darkness of her locker, feeling the stares on her back, not hearing the whispers but knowing that they were happening anyway. Ever since that first day back in school since they had that conversation in the middle of a subway station, she was right back at the center of attention- just like in the very beginning. She was afraid he would not leave her alone like he was supposed to....but for the first time ever, he did exactly what she asked him to do. He respected her wishes. No more conversations, no more shared coffee or candy, no looks in her direction, no more shared lunches, nothing at all. They acted like they never had anything, like before everything started. Two strangers. That's what they were now. What she wanted all along. And she hated every ing second of it. She took a deep breath, knowing she was getting paler by every passing second. Soo Ae kindly pointed out that Yeon Hee never looked so bad in her life. She had no appetite, she had dark bags under her eyes and she had to put on make up everyday to look half decent. That's what a broken heart does to a human. And surprisingly enough....she was a human too. She heard someone cough next to her and she opened her eyes, snapping out of her thoughts where she was getting lost way too often. Conversation. Just what she needed right now. She turned to see the person who was leaning on the locker next to her, raising her eyebrow in surprise at him.

„ Min Ho.“ She mumbled when he nodded, smiling a little before giving her something.

„ Here.“ She looked down at his hands before looking up at his face with an indifferent expression.

„  A chocolate bar?“ She asked, not even slightly amused at the sight. This was getting ing ridiculous.

„ Yeah, from the vending machine. That's what girls eat after a break up, right? Chocolate?“ She closed the locker door with such force she thought she broke it, causing everyone in the lobby to turn to her for a moment before slowly backing away, continuing to gossip in hushed tone. She gritted her teeth before speaking in a dangerously low voice.

„There is no break up. There was never a relationship, which makes the mere idea of there being a break up moronic.“ He stared at her for a moment before tilting his head in the direction of other students.

„ That's not what the whole school thinks.“

„ Do I seem like I give a about what the school thinks?“ She whispered, this time lacing her voice with poison. He pressed his lips before nodding in agreement.

„ True.... you never did. But you see, absolutely everyone in this school is convinced you and Minseok had been dating for the last two months. It was hard to believe at first, but people have gotten used to seeing you two together, you know, not trying to kill each other in a bloody way. And now, the scariest couple of Byeon highschool is at war again. No, not even war this time. Something else entirely. Like nothing ever happened between you two. Makes people wonder..... why is that? How did it come about?“

„ If they are smart they will stay out of my business and stop asking stupid questions. That goes for you too, Min Hoo.“ She said, narrowing her eyes at him, her voice being as cold as ice. He sighed once before shrugging his shoulders.

„ If that's what you want. But, just an observation then, Yeon Hee, in  form of a question. You are the one who pulled the plug, aren't you? Because that's the only thing that could explain the way Minseok had been with that girl two days ago.“ She felt that knife slice even deeper in her, so much she wondered if the metaphorical blade was going to show up in her back. Five days. That's how long it took him. She will need her whole life to get over him and he needed five days. That's how much she means to him, right?

„ What he does with anyone isn't any of my business, Min Ho.“ She said in an indifferent tone of voice, her face completely emotionless while her insides twisted even more in a knot. He smirked a little before putting the chocolate in her hands.

„ In that case, I guess I shouldn't talk about it anymore, taking into consideration you are not interested in it. See you later, demon.“ He winked at her before walking away as Yeon Hee gripped the chocolate in her hands, the hot burning pain turning into anger and frustration in her. She breathed deep, trying to find a peaceful place in her before looking up and seeing him come from the direction she was facing, Tao and Kris following behind him as they talked about something. The anger in her raised to an even higher level at that moment, making her freeze at the spot with her heart beating so loudly she could barely hear anything else.

Out of nowhere some first year who was carrying a stack of books so high he couldn't see above it walked straight into Minseok, making him stumble back while the kid fell on the floor, the books dropping on him. Yeon Hee saw the kid's eyes widen in fear when he realized who he just crashed into as everyone else went silent. The contract was done. He could torture the kid and she couldn't do anything about it. They all stared at Minseok, expecting him to teach the kid a lesson but he just sighed for one long second before leaning over the boy, reaching out his hand.

„ Next time, kid, watch where you are going, OK?“ The boy looked up at him and then back at his hand in disbelief before Minseok rolled his eyes and pulled him up, releasing him immediately after that.

„ I am sorry.“ The boy mumbled, bowing to him. Minseok shrugged his shoulders, not even a muscle moving on his face when he responded.

„ It's not a big deal. You need help with those books?“

„ No, no, no! Thank you.“ The boy waved

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter